• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What type of PC build is your favorite?

What types of PC are your favorites? (Select 3!)

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The stuff that gets me giddy is a fine, amazingly themed PC setup. something that commits to its aesthetic and looks amazing. Maybe it's a small, tiny ITX PC that's 2x the power of a PS5 despite being the same size, or maybe it's a retro PC made to pay homage to the aesthetics of the VIC-20, Amiga, or C64.

Maybe you don't care for all that themed mumbo jumbo and want a basic, small computer. or something even smaller... that you can hold in your hand. Maybe you... don't want to see your PC at all, and it's your MONITOR that's the PC. Or maybe the PC is in your desk.

There's a lot of poll options here because there's a lot of styles of PC out there. I feel like i'm still missing some so please tell me what i could also add in the poll!

Guilty_AI

0d3a20f3799a26f65ac5ba1de2b8979d.jpg

R6Rider

Gold Member
Like mine is.
White case with mesh front and glass window.
All cables hidden behind motherboard plate.
Only RGB is from CPU fan and RAM sticks.

Topher

Gold Member
All white PCs are great too but i fear for how they'll look 5 or 10 years down the line. Black hides all the dust

Nothing a damp cloth wouldn't take care of

Don't mind RGB as long as its one static colour (of my choosing)

I stick with static white lighting for the same reason, but also because I don't have to have any software running to change it

Kacho

I typically build whatever is popular at the time because those are the parts that are readily available when you search for stuff. My latest build is a standard ATX. My last one was a giant black monstrosity.

And while I don't particularly care about RGB stuff, it doesn't trigger me like it does with other people. I have an RGB mouse, keyboard, headset, ram, MB and GPU. My shit lights up like a christmas tree and I didn't actively search that stuff out haha.

Last edited:

tkscz

Mini-ITX

Console sized PCs that can fit into entertainment centers without overheating just work best to me.

lachesis

I like full size ATX, simple black with little to no RGB with good air flow for my main rig.
Still using my Silverstone FT-02 case. Probably go with a black Fractal Torrent case on my next build.

For any other purposes - it really depends on where it sits.
For example, my HTPC is about the same size, color and shape as my wireless sub (also simple black box - Fractal Define MIni) - so that it creates visual balance on each side of my TV.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I previously had a White NZXT Phantom, so small window and the only RGB came from one fan.

Now I’ve got a Black Fractal Meshify 2, because air flow is a bigger interest for me. I’m enjoying the full plane glass, and RGB fans.

Not sure where I fall on this as I’m not one of those types with RGB Ram sticks, and Liquid Cooling that’s all lit up? I do find the colored PSU cable extenders to be attractive though. Considering adding those to my build.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
hxyegiXCur3Y4So8g8YT5i.jpg

I think this is a pretty interesting case overall. I like the Hyte Y60 as well, and almost bought one - but I’m not sold on vertical GPU placement in front of the glass.
the miniature barrels and custom tubing made to replicate the screen of the arcade game are what makes this build perfect to me, i love this

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I same so close to replying with the words "superior" and "white" in the same sentence.

Matthew Broderick GIF
my good sir i regret to inform you that you just have infact replied with the words 'superior' and 'white' in the same sentence. you are cancelled, fired from every job, and we are currently rapidly approaching your current location

Fermbiz

Gold Member
RGB stuff can look really awesome for sure, but thats not really for me. I prefer all black, no light. However, i'm currently upgrading my PC and the only lighting I will have is from the CPU cooling. I bought the Corsair iCue H1501 for the small lcd screen. If its too annoying, I'll keep it off and use it every now and again.

Going to build it tomorrow, so i'll post pics.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel incredibly inadequate with my uninteresting black rectangle.

My first case was a plain black rectangle. Not even a glass window.

I figured if anyone ever broke into my home they would’ve stolen the PS4, while leaving the unassuming PC that was much more powerful behind.

So think if it as a secret advantage. 😉

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I love small and ITX builds. I currently have a nice ITX gaming PC. Although my case fits a full ATX PSU I use a SFX PSU to give a bit extra room for my airflow, GPU and cable management. I have a 3080 as well. Not sure this case would work with the new GPUs which are even bigger.

I also have an ITX emulation PC which is super tiny that I built with an internal PSU and a low profile 1650 GPU.

Soodanim

Gold Member
My PC exists to be a box of components that outputs an image to my chosen display. The fuck do I need to have lights inside it for? Or a window, for that matter?

My current case is a Fractal R4, but if my next one can comfortably be smaller without compromising on options (storage upgrades, etc) then I'll happily swap it for something closer to ITX.

rnlval

The stuff that gets me giddy is a fine, amazingly themed PC setup. something that commits to its aesthetic and looks amazing. Maybe it's a small, tiny ITX PC that's 2x the power of a PS5 despite being the same size, or maybe it's a retro PC made to pay homage to the aesthetics of the VIC-20, Amiga, or C64.

Maybe you don't care for all that themed mumbo jumbo and want a basic, small computer. or something even smaller... that you can hold in your hand. Maybe you... don't want to see your PC at all, and it's your MONITOR that's the PC. Or maybe the PC is in your desk.

There's a lot of poll options here because there's a lot of styles of PC out there. I feel like i'm still missing some so please tell me what i could also add in the poll!
j23PRyp.jpg
qMNYlYy.jpg

PS; I need to clean up the rear cabling.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB (recycled from X570 build)

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 32GB (2x16GB) F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR AMD EXPO CL30-36-36-96.
(PS; Team T-Force Delta RGB DDR5-5600 32GB (2x16GB) FF4D532G5600HC36BDC01, CL36-36-36-76 XMP has been replaced and they worked fine).

Video Card(s): MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X TRIO 12 GB (recycled from X570 build)

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A Airflow D-RGB Tempered Glass White (recycled from X570 build)

Audio Device(s): Creative Sound Blaster Z (recycled from X299 build)

Last edited:

calistan

j23PRyp.jpg
qMNYlYy.jpg

PS; I need to clean up the rear cabling.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus Wifi

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum RGB (recycled from X570 build)

Memory: Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 32GB (2x16GB) AMD EXPO (F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR) CL30-36-36-76

Video Card(s): MSI RTX 3080 Ti Gaming X TRIO 12 GB (recycled from X570 build)

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A Airflow D-RGB Tempered Glass White (recycled from X570 build)

Audio Device(s): Creative Sound Blaster Z (recycled from X299 build)
I’ve got that type of Corsair RAM in my build. I have it set to sync with the CPU temps, so it starts blue and goes through yellow to red when it gets hot. I like RGB that has a function (or is just blue).

9NgGZDI.jpg

rnlval

I’ve got that type of Corsair RAM in my build. I have it set to sync with the CPU temps, so it starts blue and goes through yellow to red when it gets hot. I like RGB that has a function (or is just blue).

9NgGZDI.jpg

My other ROG Crosshair X670E Hero (with Ryzen 9 7950X) build with all black and ARGB.

avMaTwT.jpg

PS; 3rd party GeForce ARGB strip has fallen off since the double-sided tape wasn't renewed from the ROG Strix X570 build. The second gaming PC is for Visual Studio/Unreal Engine 5 dev workstation.

The case is Phanteks Eclipse P500A Airflow Black D-RGB which was recycled from the ROG Strix X570 Gaming E build.

Last edited:
Top Bottom