• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What TV station was your channel 3 (or 4)?

The holidays are generally nostalgic so maybe this will be a fun topic to reminisce. My channel 3 was QVC, which I would not be surprised ends up a common answer. Makes sense to have the channel that would be on so frequently be pure advertising.

edit: I just realized duh a lot of people might not even know what QVC is. It was the biggest home shopping network in the US, basically 24/7 infomercials but professionally done in a studio setting. Kind of like those Amazon videos that have a person talking about a showing off a product that is for sale.

If anyone is in Japan it was channel 1 and 2 (trivia fact: equivalent to channel 95/96 in the US). Europe had SCART, and I have no idea if there was an equivalent of RF connection there - hopefully someone can chime in!

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
3 was this...

1200px-TV_noise.jpg

But then it would turn into this...

Last edited:

Quasicat

3 was nothing until Dad got sick of dealing with the antenna and we got cable. Then, it was our local NBC affiliate.

He didn’t want me to have cable in my room, but the cable line ran through my closet. I did a terrible job splicing into the cable and Dad called them in to repair the line not knowing why the signal was terrible. To the cable guy’s credit, he didn’t rat me out and instead ran a line to my TV.

Drew1440

In the UK channels 1 - 5 were used for broadcast channels, channel 6 was commonly used for VCRs, 7 for satellite/sky or cable boxes and 8 for consoles. Sometimes you had to change the frequency if it clashed with a broadcast channel, this happened when channel 5 launched where most VCRs were using that frequency and had to launch a retuning campaign before channel 5 launched.
Honestly Scart/S-Video and HDMI were a godsend, no more having to mess around with frequencies and interference.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What an odd question (I'm guessing it is "video game related" as you had to generally set old consoles - and VHS - to one of those lower channel numbers).

. . .and NBC was on channel 3 (ABC on 10 and CBS on 13 and FOX on 40; channel 31 though had the Disney afternoon cartoons and and GI Joe in the mornings before school and thus was my favorite).

Channel 3: Your basic ass NBC location station
Channel 4: KBS, if I remember it right. Most of the time it would show Korean shows, but would sometimes switch over to some Japanese stuff at night. Although it wasn't a lot of Japanese stuff, that was reserved for channel 11/12 Kiku TV!

I grew up in Hawaii, so that's why we had Korean/Japanese specific channels available (at least that's my guess)

Last edited:
What an odd question (I'm guessing it is "video game related" as you had to generally set old consoles - and VHS - to one of those lower channel numbers).

. . .and NBC was on channel 3 (ABC on 10 and CBS on 13 and FOX on 40; channel 31 though had the Disney afternoon cartoons and and GI Joe in the mornings before school and thus was my favorite).
Yeah it's an odd question lol, and you are correct - was just wondering what people had on their TVs in between switching game cartridges.

Top Bottom