• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What time is the MS pre TGS event?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sooo...did anything interesting happen? Is there a video of the conference available? Any new games shown?

----

Banned
They obviously revealed details on the Xbox 360 store....

ruliweb_xbox360_cf64.jpg

ruliweb_xbox360_cf63.jpg

ruliweb_xbox360_cf62.jpg

As far as MGS2, the game itself didn't have any major impact on the last console generation and the hype was totally undeserved. The final product was not significant in terms of gameplay, graphics or anything. If anything MGS2's complete mediocrity opened the way for Splinter Cell to take charge of the genre last generation.

I agree with people to an extent who say that it's not about graphics, but I do think it is all about the power of the system. The developers who are smart enough to figure out ways other than just graphics to make use of the raw power of a console are going to make the biggest impact on the generation. Rockstar used the PS2's power to create a fun open ended sandbox game. That is what mattered to gamers in the end. Gamers did not care that the graphics in all of the GTA games were average at best because the games had the unique feature of being groundbreakingly fun.

dark10x

As far as MGS2, the game itself didn't have any major impact on the last console generation and the hype was totally undeserved. The final product was not significant in terms of gameplay, graphics or anything. If
Are you joking? The gameplay was incredible and the visuals were some of the best we had seen this gen. It was very significant.

Hell, the bizarre story also made it VERY controversial -AND- it is still being discussed today. It was a AAA game...but it wasn't for everyone. That doesn't mean it was not significant. MGS2 was a VERY important game and a landmark of this previous generation. MGS3 came along and topped it in every way. These two games, like the original, will continue to be discussed for years to come.

MGS2 will go down as a classic that divided many. It will be remembered for years. Previous Splinter Cell games have already been forgotten. They were about visuals. How often do we discuss the original SC? How often do screens come up?

---- said:
As far as MGS2, the game itself didn't have any major impact on the last console generation and the hype was totally undeserved. The final product was not significant in terms of gameplay, graphics or anything. If anything MGS2's complete mediocrity opened the way for Splinter Cell to take charge of the genre last generation.

Wow.

---- said:

OMG.

:lol :lol :lol

The XBox fan revisionist history in full effect.

dark10x

I'm still in total awe that he even attempted to suggest something like that...

Anyways, I saw the GoW presentation (unfortunately, I can't listen to any audio right now...so I have no idea what was said). One thing I forgot to note in my animation rant is the cutscenes. THOSE do not animate poorly in the least. It actually looks pretty nice in motion and reminds me of the animation found in the intros of UT2003 and 4.

In game animation is still pretty rough around the edges, though. With a good framerate, I could get used to it. I still want a first person option.

Nice to see a reminder of just how good the environments look. Very impressive stuff in that regard. Way ahead of 95% of the other 360 games I've seen. The UE3 engine clearly has some serious potential.

UM... WTF @ Bomberman?
Yeah, that had me wondering as well. Looks NOTHING like any Bomberman game I've seen. Very very strange...

BojTrek

Banned
Once again... expecting tons of in-game videos and I have to wait...

NBA Live 2006 was the same footage from the commercial...

I went from excited for X-Box 360, to don't know, to might wait, to TGS excited, to waiting for in-game video again...

I hope we get actual gameplay of games soon...

Resident Evil looks great, but is that what it looks like to play it or are those all cut-scenes?

dark10x

Resident Evil looks great, but is that what it looks like to play it or are those all cut-scenes?
That is old footage that was first shown at the PlayStation conference a couple months back. I believe it was confirmed to be "render target" footage, so that's probably not even realtime and, at this stage, is only related to X360 by name. Hopefully it matches it, though...

So, is Microsoft stealth playing TGS or what?

The hardware announcement, the Xbox store, Gundam, and Bomberman are it so far? (I actually slept last night so I'm trying to catch up)

dark10x

sonycowboy said:
So, is Microsoft stealth playing TGS or what?

The hardware announcement, the Xbox store, Gundam, and Bomberman are it so far? (I actually slept last night so I'm trying to catch up)
Well, they announced Tokyo Extreme Racer 360...but Burnout Revenge actually looks a whole lot better. Sooo, that's not really making a positive statement... :p

jett

D-Member
So, no MEGATON like exxy and che were saying?(they kept mentioning it well after everyone knew about the one SKU deal)

PG2G

che said they cancelled the conference announcement and that itd probably take place in the next 2 days.

BojTrek

Banned
Give me real-time footage for the following and I will be happy until launch:

NBA2K6 running on the X-Box 360
Tiger Woods 2006 running on the X-Box 360
NBA Live 2006 running live on X-Box 360 to compare to NBA2K6

Redbeard

Banned
Just watched that video montage. What a joke. Half of it's old footage, the other half CG intros/cutscenes. Why show the CG intro for Ghost Recon or the Outfit when there's great-looking realtime trailers out there? Fucking sucked. Only Dead Rising looked halfway interesting.

PhatSaqs said:
Another underwhelming conf. from MS/
Why am I so surprised....

Glad I went to bed.

I know that the 360 is going to be a damn impressive system, but come on Microsoft. Make a splash.

noventa.jpg

I'm waiting to be impressed

Oni Jazar

I wouldn't have high hopes for big announcements during TGS. What's the point of having a press conference if you're holding back big announcements? People always expect stuff like this and always get dissapointed. You blow your wad AT the conference not after.

Izzy

Banned
jett said:
So, no MEGATON like exxy and che were saying?(they kept mentioning it well after everyone knew about the one SKU deal)

Che said:
...it's "really good" for Japanese Xbox fans.
...it's a "superton", not a "megaton".
...che considers RE5 360 exclusive would be a "megaton." For reference, "superton" is less than a "megaton."
...che is surprised that Microsoft is not fucking shit up in Japan
...che says Microsoft is still going to get trounced at TGS, though. "the second the scans came out it was over."

Well....

Varian

Amir0x said:
No. Because you're wrong, end. Gears of War face looks like an impersonal, pathetically jingoistic, UE3.0 spoon-fed design that is not only inferior to the Old Snake on a detail level (however "slightly" you may deem it), but is inferior on an artistic level. It's as simple as that.

Now we can agree to disagree, if it makes you feel better, but it's almost blind-level this wrong.
Before I add you to my buddy list Amir0x, what is your opinion of Kingdom Hearts?

IJoel

Extremely underwhelming showing by MS. It's almost as if they didn't want to wow the japanese audience, and well, they're certainly on their way not to do so.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
About 2 pages of this thread are worth reading. What a bunch of Wankas :lol Thanks to the people who posted the conference info, screens and movies though.

It sounded pretty uneventful but I guess there will maybe be some new stuff over the next couple of days. I'm so dam hyped about seeing the MGS4 trailer :D

Ponn

Banned
Bebpo said:
Just watched the games reel. Why was Ridge 6 not in there?

Has there ever been any other big name games announced that hit in two month's time with no video footage whatesover shown? I am not holding my breath for RR6 being a launch title.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
---- said:
As far as MGS2, the game itself didn't have any major impact on the last console generation and the hype was totally undeserved. The final product was not significant in terms of gameplay, graphics or anything.
In a week filled with some amazingly stupid posts, most of them in this thread, you just shot to the top of the list. Honestly - considering this is GAF - you should be proud.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Wait a sec.. the confrence for Microsoft in Japan, which is basically first on-site impressions... is over.. and nothing significant was annouced?

DSN2K

you played Halo or any cinematic game this gen ?

Nanta said:
That Gears of War demo (the 67meg one) was pretty cool

I haven't watched it (because I'm at work), but many websites are saying it's the same as what was shown at E3. Is this true, or is this new? I know I've seen quite a few new images of the game today.

Shompola

Banned
Gundam didnt suck at all. And you barely saw anything. Maybe the vivid color is what makes people think it looked bad? It sure didnt look bad technically of what I saw.

CloudNL

Nanta said:
That Gears of War demo (the 67meg one) was pretty cool

The thing is: Japanese gamers don't like these kind of games.
So MS show is over? Is this the way to WOW the Japanese gamers?

Top Bottom