• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the scariest game you have played?

Scariest?

• Alien: Isolation

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Dead Space 2

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Eternal Darkness

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Fatal Frame II

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Fatal Frame III

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Outlast

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • P.T

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • REmake

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • REmake 2

• Resident Evil 7

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Silent Hill 3

• Siren Series

• SOMA

• Subnautica

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • The Evil Within

• Demon's Souls

• Fatal Frame

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Visage

• Total voters

Bartski

Gold Member
Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I think Blair Witch was way scarier than many games on the list and having played through it recently on gamepass it was a nice surprise, after seeing its mild reception.
The game had flaws but the sound design is GREAT and there is just something about being lost in a dark forest at night where you can't see shit in Dolby Atmos...

So how is Visage? I'm hearing only good things about it and waiting for a calm weekend to give it a shot

Funny that SH3 has zero votes so far while the other SH games have many. In my (very crude) preliminary research the consensus seemed to be that SH3 was the scariest (by a pretty small margin). SH4 also came up quite a bit but I didn’t want to fill the poll with SH games.

SSfox

Dead Space probably.

Silent Hill games weren't that scary, but more of psychological feeling, almost make you feel depressed sometimes lol

For the life of me, I will never understand what so many people see in P.T.

The only interesting thing about it is the metaphors hidden in it regarding what was going on between Kojima and Konami, and the Silent Hills teaser part.

Vick

For the life of me, I will never understand what so many people see in P.T.

Read this Thread:

Before people knew what it really was.
It's the only possible answer to this Thread. If everyone played you'd see no votes at all for things like Dead Space or Alien: Isolation.

The only interesting thing about it is the metaphors hidden in it regarding what was going on between Kojima and Konami, and the Silent Hills teaser part.
The interesting part is how it makes you feel when you play it.
Be it in the sound design, the graphics, controls or austere execution.. no other game, no movie for that matter, triggers my self-preservation instinct.
First time i tried it i had to turn the console off after only a couple of loops, before anything even happened at all, just because of how thick the sense of dread was.

If somehow someone found out the game is demonic in nature and literally cursed, i would believe it no problem.

every scary aspect of it is scripted, guided.
Last portion of the game is entirely procedural.

Last edited:

Duchess

Haunting Ground literally gave me nightmares, so I had to stop playing it for a while. I was living alone in a flat in London at the time, so probably for the best :)

skit_data

Honorable mention outside the others i stated is Dead Space, but it was ruined for me because I didn’t understand how to reload the plasma cutter so I went on to melee every necromorph for about an hour. The game felt a lot less scary once i realized how to reload.

I like the second one better in terms of scares, more psychological horror aspects going on in that one.

Read this Thread:

Before people knew what it really was.
It's the only possible answer to this Thread. If everyone played you'd see no votes at all for things like Dead Space or Alien: Isolation.

The interesting part is how it makes you feel when you play it.
Be it in the sound design, the graphics, controls or austere execution.. no other game, no movie for that matter, triggers my self-preservation instinct.
First time i tried it i had to turn the console off after only a couple of loops, before anything even happened at all, just because of how thick the sense of dread was.

If somehow someone found out the game is demonic in nature and literally cursed, i would believe it no problem.

Last portion of the game is entirely procedural.
Well, I can respect the fact it gave you such a visceral response.

It did little for me, personally.

I have been drowning myself in all things horror ever since I was a child.

P.T. seemed very cliché for me; executed well enough but nothing new or special to its name.

Its hidden meaning and the Silent Hills twist were its only draws for me.

Vick

I have been drowning myself in all things horror ever since I was a child.
Same here, reason why games don't really scare me (well, except for RE7 first run in VR) and the closest feeling i have for sagas like Silent Hill and Resident Evil, or games like Alien: Isolation and Dead Space, is love.

But i still can't play P.T. alone. No matter the mood, no matter what i might think before going in, the moment i turn the lights off and put the headphones my body freezes.
No doubt my Home-Theatre set might have a prominent role in this, but same could be said for every other horror game.

Something similar, movie wise, happened with Hereditary. First film to properly scare me in decades.

laynelane

Back in the day, I rented Silent Hill and played it late at night. It was the first real horror game I'd tried and it did a lot of things you didn't see at the time. I was so scared I had to stop playing soon after solving the piano puzzle and entering the Otherworld (also my friend had to leave an hour before lol). It took me years to go back and finish the game.

mcjmetroid

Gotta say Fatal frame/ or project zero as it was called really scared the shit out of me at the time. It had garbage English voice acting but still.

Codes 208

Phasmophobia.

Its more subtle and doesn’t scare you with jump scares but rather sets an ominous mood as you try to figure out what kind of ghost you’re dealing with.

Last edited:

Holammer

Friday the 13'th on the C64. Played it late, way past bed time and freaked out when Jason killed someone. Instantly turned off the computer and crawled in bed terrified.
Today after getting numbed by 80's video violence and work, I never get the same emotional reaction.

Maximusz

Dead Space 1, couldn't gather the courage for a good 6 months upon first picking it up.

PT would have been great had it been a game.

SuperGooey

I've been obsessed with horror media since I was a child, so I don't get scared from video games or movies anymore.

With that said, P.T. scared me.

Mozzarella

Scariest game i have ever played in order:
1- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Very terrifying experience, the game ticks most of the boxes that makes a game scare me, its lovecraftian horror, its very dark, the setting is 1800's gothic germany, the playground is a castle, the design fits it well, the monsters are creepy af, the music is superb to enhance its atmosphere and the plot is interesting. Good jumpscares, genius tricks to scare the player. Very scary. Great game too. Underrated.
2- Alien: Isolation
The second one is the only one close to the first, great setting, space horror is just as good, this game is way more tense than Amnesia but its less atmospheric so thats why its 2nd ranked. The tools to fight the aliens help a bit but still when the Alien catches you and you see its scary face, you are in for a great terrifying experience.
3- Outlast
Its scary and has jump scares but after the first 2 hours i got used to it, still the chasing and the jump scares did their job but no where near the first two. Overrated.
4- Remake
My favorite horror game of all time, scary setting and amazing game overall.
5- Dead Space.
6- Fatal Frame
7- P.T
8- Soma
9- Silent Hill 3
10- Silent Hill 2 or Layers of Fear.
I never understood all the hype and talk around SH2 being the scariest game, sure its creepy and unsettling with its atmosphere but i dont think it was actually scary, maybe if they got rid of the tedious and awful combat it would have been way better as horror game. But still i liked my time with it.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Skyrim with mods.

Because the auto save only happens every 15 minutes or so and the game operates by a string. If I have to do the same mission twice then I might just throw my console out my window.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Probably REMake when it launched on the GameCube. I didn't play the original so it was an all new experience for me. I remember being legit nervous entering certain areas. I still remember the part outside where you go into a boiler room. I saw the flames flickering on the wall and I sat there for probably a minute not wanting to see what is in the next frame.

As for a runner up, Outlast was super well done too. Great atmosphere and tension. I haven't played part 2 yet.

Last edited:

BlackTron

REmake. I turned off the game and could never come back once I got to the part with Lisa the little girl that turned. Reading into her gradual descent into a zombie monster in her journal was a psychological mindfuck that culminated when she burst into the room through the only exit.

I was disturbed AF.

carlosrox

Banned
PT, the Silent Hills, and STALKER are probably the outright truly scary ones.

Then you have a lot of action horror stuff and they can have their moments, and definitely get you with a lot of the jump scares and tension building but it's just not the same type of scare as the 3 mentioned above.

Those are like nope games for me and I've been heavy into horror since I was a kid. Silent Hill has pure nightmare fuel just Jacob's Ladder which inspired it.

Stuff like RE, Dead Space, Doom 3, System Shock, Bishock, Alien Isolation, etc are a different kind of scare and sometimes they're really unnerving but again, not to the point where I wanna turn the game off cuz it's too much.

Oh and stuff like Condemned 1 and 2, Outlast, Penumbra, Amnesia also definitely lean towards the more legitimately scary side.

I was scared as fuck playing early into Outlast 2. And that jump scare near the start of 1 is fucking ruthless.

The first scare in RE8 definitely got me good. Was not expecting it at all and totally made me react outloud and pull away a bit. Good one!

Cherrypepsi

I've played tons of horror games (ie - resident evil, alien: isolation, silent hill).

But there is one I remember for some reason as leaving a mark on my memory. The Cradle from Thief 3. ***spoiler warning*** The first half of the level fucks with your mind by only playing bizarre random noises and leaving the place eerily empty. By the time you finally encounter the enemy you have already jumped out of your socks and are clinging to the ceiling.
I came here to say this.
It's the scariest level of all time.

Jokerevo

Banned
Subnautica because I suffer from thassolophobia.

Imagine finding that out while playing the game.

Went deep...deeper...everything disappeared into black and the sound kicked in...immediate shut down of console. Haven't played since.

Also Alien isolation because the movements of the alien are unpredictable...that makes all those pattern sensing moments useless in this game.

Last edited:

Paasei

The scariest one I have played was Amensia. But I don't play horror games very often, because they tend to focus more on jump scares than actual tension.

I can't play Subnautica for the life of and that is not even a horror game. Thalassophobia is too real for me.

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
I have a rather unusual phobia that manifests as a fear of swimming in seas/oceans. Hence, Subnautica was a completely odd experience for me that built up a high level of fear.

kingwingin

Imported siren on ps3 and I got to the level where you play as the dude with the shotgun. All I remember was this zombie flying into my field of view with bug wings coming out of his head. Tossed that disc on the shelf and haven't touched it since

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Vick

Those of you who got scared by PT should feel ashamed of yourselves lol. :p
What a weird thing to say, basically everyone who played the thing got scared of it. I've seen bulky drug dealers jumping and screaming like girls*, in front of me in my house.

There's a reason just a portion of those who voted in this Thread played it and it's still winning by a such a big margin.

Have fun reading this legendary Thread and with these two favorite videos of mine:

Now people voting for things like Dead Space and regular action games should feel ashamed. Them and the usual P.T. downplayers.

*for some reason the most composed reactions i've seen in person came from females.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Dead Space I think. I haven't played 2 and 3.

I'm sure there might be scarier games, but this is out of the ones I've played.

Top Bottom