• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the scariest game you have played?

Scariest?

• Alien: Isolation

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Dead Space 2

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Eternal Darkness

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Fatal Frame II

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Fatal Frame III

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Outlast

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • P.T

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • REmake

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • REmake 2

• Resident Evil 7

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Silent Hill 3

• Siren Series

• SOMA

• Subnautica

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • The Evil Within

• Demon's Souls

• Fatal Frame

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Visage

• Total voters
Not which is best but which is the most scary. Subnautica might seem like an odd choice here but apparently some people are really scared of the deep ocean.

Sorry about lumping the Siren games together. I don't know much about them and was running out of poll slots.

this is way to tough to pick one , Alien Isolation , Re7 Vr, Re2 remake , ReRemake(damn Crimson zombies) they all almost made me shit my pants

Last edited:

Neff

The original Resident Evil, even though I was 21 at the time, really got under my skin. The REmake is just as good too.

Alien Isolation deserves a mention, especially for that early moment when you're waiting for the transit. I've never been so terrified by mere sound before.

Oh and DADA for those who know.

YukiOnna

DOOM 3. I was such a bitch I couldn't go to the washroom alone in broad daylight....
Subnautica was because I have Thalassophobia so that wasn't fun. Ultimately, I got in trouble for constantly screaming when in dark waters so I didn't play anymore... (nor did I want to)

TexMex

Would have said the original Silent Hill, but I was surprised at how genuinely unnerved I was by the RE2make. Fucking love that game.

Burnttips

I haven't played a scary game since the ps1 but The Clock Tower was good. Also D was good.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
The only game that ever really scared me was doom when I was like 8, funny thing is, if you're bad at doom, the monsters are terrifying (at least back in 93) because they are dangerous, if you can't aim an imp or shot gun guy can mess you up, but once you're good at it, they're not coming for you, you're coming for them.

Demigod Mac

Metroid Fusion (first playthrough)
Had to spend a moment to psych myself up before going through every door into an unexplored area in case she was waiting on the other side.

SA-X_mf_Screenshot_1.png

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I turned on PT a couple of weeks ago to remind myself why I'm still holding on to my PS4 when I have a 5. I couldn't finish a run without a short break. Plenty of games have me tense up, hold my breath, or even creep me out, but PT is the only playable experience that has ever made me have to nope on out of there. The first amnesia is a distant, but respectable second.

sublimit

Banned
I should also add Demon's Souls. Going through the Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement for the first time was one of the most scariest experiences i had with any game.
More scarier even than "traditional" horror games.

skit_data

First game that scared me enough to not wanna play it more was Alien Trilogy in 1997.

I also had a hard time playing the Marine campaign in AvP 1999. The fast pace, use of darkness and sound design was phenomenal.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Silent Hill 1 and 2.
Truly a dream and nightmare come to life on the screen. There is nothing like it in any media - and there likely wont be anything close in our lifetime.
Required to be played alone and after 1am - volume, high.

I played them way back when they first came out, each over a single weekend - and I was forever altered.
Ill never forget those experiences.

I dreaded everytime those sirens started, the child crying in the bathroom, a simple phone ring where one shouldn't even exist, a hole to nowhere, an endless staircase of fire.
Impossible to fully describe in words.

If anyone says games aren't art - sit them in front of SH2 for a weekend, alone...

Last edited:

skit_data

I should also add Demon's Souls. Going through the Tower of Latria and Valley of Defilement for the first time was one of the most scariest experiences i had with any game.
More scarier even than "traditional" horror games.
I bought the original last year before the remake was announced and played through it for the first time (bad/good timing depending on how you see it) and YES, 3-1 and 3-2 are really scary. Atmospheric as hell, and it’s not made easier by the Mindflayer guards being able to one-shot you

skit_data

Metroid Fusion (first playthrough)
Had to spend a moment to psych myself up before going through every door into an unexplored area in case she was waiting on the other side.

SA-X_mf_Screenshot_1.png
I still have slight tramatic flashbacks from hearing her walking.

*thump, thump, thump...*

SA-X was terrifying

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Since PT was just a demo I go with the first Silent Hill. Atmosphere was top notch and the soundtrack unnerving. One of the few games that made me feel uncomfortable. Most of the other horror games were just a collection of jump scares.

rapid32.5

P.T and Silent Hill atmosphere is unmatched. Silent Hill 2 for best story and horror universe.
The Evil Within is last gen gem that closely resemble good old days of above mentioned classics.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Its' hard to say, but I remember Fatal Frame as a kid and it absolutely terrified me to the point that I couldn't go further.

As for things I've actually finished, maybe Alien: Isolation just because of how physically draining it is to be constantly hunted, having to plan out routes to complete objectives, taking risks etc combined with its length. Compared to the REmake games where you have safe spaces to recover in, Isolation never felt like anywhere was safe (regardless of whether it technically was or not).

P.T. was probably the actual scariest but I guess I "yelped" more in the others.

Last edited:

Three

I found PT to be the scariest but then when I replayed it it wasn't really scary anymore at all. I think most of the fear was from the mystery of not knowing what is going to happen. Whereas with something like RE7 it's more the survival aspect and in VR it's damn scary.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I've played tons of horror games (ie - resident evil, alien: isolation, silent hill).

But there is one I remember for some reason as leaving a mark on my memory. The Cradle from Thief 3. ***spoiler warning*** The first half of the level fucks with your mind by only playing bizarre random noises and leaving the place eerily empty. By the time you finally encounter the enemy you have already jumped out of your socks and are clinging to the ceiling.

fallout 3

that game scared me like nothing else

horror games scare you with the specific intent to scare you

fallout 3 gave me a most exquisite open world scary experience

them metro stations mang

I don't really play "scary" games that much because I play all games in the same way - running everywhere gung ho and guns blazing/weapon swinging, and that doesn't really allow for the tension to build up. With that said, I am absolutely terrified of spiders, even small ones, so any game with them in makes my skin crawl.

Also, fuck subnautica.

Vick

I found PT to be the scariest but then when I replayed it it wasn't really scary anymore at all. I think most of the fear was from the mystery of not knowing what is going to happen. Whereas with something like RE7 it's more the survival aspect and in VR it's damn scary.
Exact opposite experience for me.
My first run in RE7 in VR has been wild, one of the very best experiences in gaming. However in successive runs it just became like every other RE, an action, still able to make me jump no doubt, but the true dread is just not there anymore.

Years later, in the last random portion of the game, i literally can't play P.T. alone.

skakmk

Am I the only one who got unnerved by the necr@philia scene in outlast?

I could finish most of the other games but outlast was a huge no no for me.

MacReady13

Up until I’d played PT, Silent Hill was the scariest game I’d ever played. A story involving a religious cult and weird people always gets to me BUT, once PT came along everything else pales by comparison. It is so damn frightening and mysterious. The fact it never came out as the full game just makes this demo even creepier to me now. Still the scariest time I’ve ever had playing or watching anything.

TMLT

Outlast for me, followed closely by P.T, then Resi 7 in third place.

That one part in Resi 8 is probably the single scariest thing ive ever encountered in any game though.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Its gotta be Re7 on PSVR, no horror game i have ever played give me the fucking chills like that game, unless you've experienced it you cant explain it, being inside the game is stressful as fuck as every part of your being is screaming dont open the door/go down into the cellar and is a world away from controlling an avatar or fps on a tv. Its the reason i'm holding off on Re8 which looks incredible, i want to play it on PSVR2

Top Bottom