• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the scariest game you have played?

Scariest?

• Alien: Isolation

Votes: 26 10.0%
  • Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Dead Space

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Dead Space 2

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Eternal Darkness

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Fatal Frame II

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Fatal Frame III

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • F.E.A.R

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Outlast

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • P.T

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • REmake

Votes: 9 3.5%
  • REmake 2

• Resident Evil 7

Votes: 23 8.8%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 14 5.4%
  • Silent Hill 2

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • Silent Hill 3

• Siren Series

• SOMA

• Subnautica

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • System Shock 2

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • The Evil Within

• Demon's Souls

• Fatal Frame

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Visage

• Total voters

GymWolf

Anything even remotely horror in vr.

For traditional games, maybe condemned1, not the most scary game in existence for sure but it was the only one that forced me to stress bail out and immeditely turn off the console.

Not which is best but which is the most scary. Subnautica might seem like an odd choice here but apparently some people are really scared of the deep ocean.

Sorry about lumping the Siren games together. I don't know much about them and was running out of poll slots.
Only one game scared me in my entire life, and it's silent hill

The halley with the wheelchair gave me insomnia for weeks and I was even scared to stay alone at home even with daylight LOL

Was like 8-9 years old iirc

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
220px-TLOU_P2_Box_Art_2.png

killatopak

Gold Member
Alone in The Dark.

I dunno if it’s still scary to me now but when I was kid, I had nightmares about this game.

engstra

It probably was P.T. for me, had no idea what I was in for when I downloaded it.

An honorable mention has to go to Silent Hill as well. I wasn't old enough to experience it when it came out but played it on the ps3. Despite its rough visuals by then modern standards, it's the most atmospheric game I've played. The sound design was so good.

There are a bunch of VR games that could be on this list as well. Obviously RE7 but one that really got me was Paranormal Activity. That game is intense!

Don’t understand how a single hallway can be so scary to so many people. It was clearly a demo and far from being dreadful. Only played SH 4 and it was really twisted, played Siren for a a few minutes before I opted out so I’ll vote Dead Space 1-2, they have some really scary moments but are also best horror games I ever played.

xrnzaaas

Clive Barker's Undying is a strong contender from the classics, I had near heart attack situations on several occasions. Don't know how it would hold up these days, because I haven't replayed it.

Outlast and Condemned are the scariest newer games imo. It definitely helps that in Outlast you're defenseless and in Condemned for most of the time you have to rely on melee weapons only.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I picked RE7 but a comment got me thinking about Siren: Blood Curse.

That game was terrifying, haven't played it in years but super tense for some levels.

PsyEd

The first Silent Hill on PSX....seriously disturbing game for it's time and had music that was inspired by Twin Peaks...still is the king of horror in my books.

JeloSWE

I played Alien Isolation in 3D on my TV... alone at night..... I never finished the game but the dread and the feeling of being exposed was something else. I think I was more scared of the androids than the alien because of their haunting uncanny valley look. They were kinda non dangerous at the beginning but you didn't know if/when they would turn on you and that made it even more unnerving. Also the alien was the most scary before you actually started encountering it, then it became more of an invulnerable enemy you have to strategically navigate around.

Last edited:

Valonquar

The shrine maiden shit in Fatal Frame was creepy as fuck. I'd love to see them do one of those on PS5 and not a portable toaster.

The mirror room scene in Silent Hill 3 when you lose control of your character and the room fills with blood was scary as fuck.

Last edited:

Tschumi

It wouldn't be a horror game, I think it was Thief: Deadly Shadows... It had really good sound, and yeah just a regular guard finding you could scare the piss out of you "HEY, whwhwhWHAT'S THAT THERE? GRRR I'LL FIND YOUou ou ou ou " fucking loud, when you're being all sneaky, made me jump a lot.. a few spooky levels too

Thief: Deadly Shadows - The Shalebridge Cradle.

WQeLMGpRuFAFyxqU8E7gFZ-320-80.jpg
thiefshalebridge.jpg

tumblr_m5y02syPci1ql8ms3o1_500.gif

snap nice coincidence :p

Last edited:
I voted P.T., but outlast was pretty close behind, I can't play more than a couple of minutes of these games at a time, especially with the earphones on.

The two below are not meant to be scary, but they do scare me:
Senua's Sacrifice is pretty scary to me (with the voices and all, this may be the best use of binaural audio I have ever heard).
Doom in some dark areas with the monster noises.

Tschumi

I'll add Operation Flashpoint. I had a really dry mouth as I bellied across exposed positions just waiting for the instakill soviet shot to the face

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think Dead Space did the best to have a true sense of dread in the game. Knowing something is coming and still jumping when it gets there. RE2 dogs through the window gets an honorable mention.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nice list OP, did not expect to see Visage there, not very known especially on gaf. It's the last good horror game since quite some time. That being said the first Amnesia is still the best.

I don't play a lot of horror games, but I did just finish RE8. I found it fairly pedestrian scare-wise, but there was one boss encounter that was superbly creepy and unsettling. If you've played it you know what I'm talkin bout!

tommib

Demon's Souls PS3
Bro fist.

I’m sure most people don’t get it but there was something that in 2009 going down to the swamp in 3-2 became the most horrifying game experience I’ve ever had. Maybe because I was not expecting for the game to be scary. The heart beating, the darkness, going down on a cage to completely unknown territory like the swamp… Horrifying stuff.

S0ULZB0URNE

Bro fist.

I’m sure most people don’t get it but there was something that in 2009 going down to the swamp in 3-2 became the most horrifying game experience I’ve ever had. Maybe because I was not expecting for the game to be scary. The heart beating, the darkness, going down on a cage to completely unknown territory like the swamp… Horrifying stuff.
Plus the fear of someone invading.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Chose RE7, Capcom hit a home run with VR. The whole baker family farm house in the woods, the story and scary missions pull you in.

MachRc

F.E.A.R. was a scary game, I am surprised I actually finished it...
gawd I hated going up and down ladders in that game, and it had alot of fucking ladders for some reason.

Makes me realize all horror games have vents in their level design to trick you into thinking shit will pop out and then nothing happens until you have to make your way back...ofcourse.

Any VR shooting game...with zombies.. Arizona Sunrise, Alyx.
The panic when you have to physically empty rounds/clip, grab a new clip from waist, reload, before being able to shoot.....

more scary than any jump scare...

The level in the cave in Arizona sunrise where you use your flashlight. I sweated SO much my headset was soaked...
I dont know if RE7 was available for windows mixed reality headset, but i dont want to know...

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm actively searching for a game to scare me as much as PT did. That game managed to scare me through a Youtube video, while I was on party chat with my friends. That's how deep it cuts. Something about that constant repetition.

Perhaps Resident Evil in VR, but I won't have a chance at that anytime soon.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's still Dead Space for me. I came into that game knowing nothing, years and years after it released, having never played any survival horror outside of like a mild Resident Evil remake or something like that. That team really perfected the genre at the time. No game has come close, for me, to generating a fearful atmosphere while expertly working in sudden and insanely frightening moments that made it feel like I was controlling a sci-fi horror movie.

Too many survival horror games since have basically been iterations upon one another, relying too much on hiding and timing. Or weird coop shit that feels like it was built for a Twitch stream.

So yea Dead Space. Still the king.

Top Bottom