• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is more scary horror games or horror movies?

What is more scary?

• Horror Games

Votes: 36 97.3%
  • Horror Movies

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Spyxos

I had this conversation with a buddy yesterday. He thinks that horror movies are much scarier. I rather think that the horror games are scarier? I was scared by Alien (1979) and couldn't sleep at night, but also Dead Space, I only played during the day, and I was much more scared of Dead Space and almost had to force myself to play it.

Edit: Just Games not VR.

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Games, but playing Alyx and a little RE7 in VR has completely desensitised me to the horror in regular horror games. Nothing will be spookier than having it strapped to your eyeballs.

Spyxos

Games, but playing Alyx and a little RE7 in VR has completely desensitised me to the horror in regular horror games. Nothing will be spookier than having it strapped to your eyeballs.
I played through Alyx, but I didn't get the impression that it was a horror game. I didn't even dare to play Resi in Vr.

SeraphJan

It depends on what game, movie rarely reach the level of P.T in terms of horror

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Games for sure.

I’m the one in charge of the onscreen character that has to come face to face, or be chased by the terror.

With movies I’m just a bystander watching events unfold.

T4keD0wN

Horror games, because i am in control so it feel like that stuff is happening to me, the player. I dont feel that way when watching a horror movie.

Last edited:
Neither, they are both fake and nothing can actually hurt you; horror is my favourite genre, but I'll never understand how people can experience genuine fear from it; no freddy krueger is not jumping from the screen to get you...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I played through Alyx, but I didn't get the impression that it was a horror game. I didn't even dare to play Resi in Vr.

Not explicitly a horror game, but still loaded with horror segments a la Ravenholm. Stuff like navigating back through a pitch black headcrab room with a flashlight was spookier than any non-VR game I've touched. Loved it though.

SaintALia

Games.

At least they have FAR more potential than movies anyway. In games you are actively participating in the 'horror' and are surviving and can make actually make a difference in what you do. As opposed to movies wher you are watching something and hoping that they make it through. With the latter, having no control or input does make it scarier for folks, especially if they 'buy into' what's going on with the characters and setting.

But videogames do need you to 'buy into' it as well, which not everyone will do. You are 'surviving', but you're controlling a character in a space to survive, and if you die, it will just incur the penalty which will likely cost you time or items. So the 'dread' can expand to more than just 'horror' games.

Though I suppose, there may be horror games out there that have you play them and if you 'die', they boot you out and IP lock you, and you're forever dead or something. I doubt much games will want to heavily penalise you like that though, or even something like delete your save after a death. Maybe 'lives' can come back for horror games?

Or they do it Zombi U style, you level up your random character assigned to you and if that character dies, all that experience (and maybe items) dies with them, and you simply get a new one, a bit like rogue-like games. Though ZOmbi U wasn't particularly scary to begin with.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For me personally, horror games. And it's not even close. Even a game like Resi4 triggers some subconscious primal fear in me while the common consensus regards it as a pure action game with some goofy horror elements. Although that's true as well.

Needless to say it's the interactive aspect that does it (for me)

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Games and it's not even close. Especially in VR.

Could you imagine Outlast or Outlast 2 in VR? You'd have to have nerves of steel to complete that in VR.

Games because you're the one being impacted. Movies just give you a sense of being uncomfortable at best but in certain games, you can even sweat from panic. They are extremely rare tho, as good horror games have dwindled in the last decade.

Games and it's not even close.

Turn off the lights, put on some noise cancelling headphones and then try and say movies are scarier. If you take into account VR, nothing even compares to playing Re7 for the first time.

MiguelItUp

I think it really depends, but in most cases games can be scarier IMO, because you're controlling the character(s). Rather than just watching things play out without being able to control them. But like I said, I really do think it depends on the type of horror.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say horror games are much more intense, because you much more involved. Horror movies heavily rly on jump scares and loud noise and feel like in more recent horror movies I'm just waiting to something happen.

Sleepwalker

Games easily, I'm very much into horror movies and they don't phase me, but games are a whole different level for me.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Doesn't help matters that most of not all horror films suck nowadays.

I remember playing Resi7 in VR (intoxicated ofcourse) and I had to stop when reaching that mutating spider womans house. I just couldn't. Fuck that.

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

jm89

Games.

Siren blood curse made me quit like a chicken when I played it years ago. No movie has done that, and I watch a shit ton of horror movies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom