• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What exactly happened to Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Vietnam?

Bragr

Banned
Everything before Battlefield 3 is just dust. I can't find shit. It's been so long since I played this, so I thought I'll find them on the EA storefront, but nothing. I checked every other storefront. Nothing. It seems like Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Vietnam have vanished from the PC landscape altogether?

6flN.gif

Omali

They took them off the store because they are multiplayer only games tied to Gamespy, which shut down in 2014. It's still possible to play multiplayer but you have to connect directly through IP. The master server list is gone.

Naked Lunch

I have Battlefield 2 on Steam - did they remove it to purchase?

BF2 is by far my favorite Battlefield. Combo of squad leaders actually mattering, commander play, destroyable assets like UAV stations and arty. It was like an RTS but each unit was played by real people. Find a good server where teamwork and comms were required and there has been nothing like it since.

With all the problems the series has now - they should just re-release the PC classics for modern console and pc - make them cross play with some quality of life updates. Even BF3 could be re-released. BF3 console version was gimped for 360 and PS3. Its easy money and the games still hold up. This would bring people back to the series.

Liljagare

Yeah, shutdown masterlist servers.

Its a shame, all of them are still highly playable. And easily better than their recent crap.

Mmmm, I loved the times at the cyber cafe playing 1942 with the boys, piloting a carrier that had 6 extra people on the wings and roof of the plane, and diving straight into enemy base

Moonjt9

Dude Battlefield Vietnam was so goddamn good. Blasting that music in a helicopter as you join the fight while raining bullets down, hiding prone in the bushes mowing people down at a choke point with a huge machine gun…man what a blast that game was. A damn shame they don’t make em like that anymore.

Toots

Gold Member
Dude Battlefield Vietnam was so goddamn good. Blasting that music in a helicopter as you join the fight while raining bullets down, hiding prone in the bushes mowing people down at a choke point with a huge machine gun…man what a blast that game was. A damn shame they don’t make em like that anymore.

Listening to this while waiting for the homies to board the choppa was so goddam good.

Strange that a vehemently anti war song got me in such a mood to go kill.

ManaByte

Everything before Battlefield 3 is just dust. I can't find shit. It's been so long since I played this, so I thought I'll find them on the EA storefront, but nothing. I checked every other storefront. Nothing. It seems like Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Vietnam have vanished from the PC landscape altogether?

6flN.gif

I have Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2 on Origin. Vietnam is the only one that doesn't exist digitally.

I have Battlefield 2 on Steam - did they remove it to purchase?

BF2 is by far my favorite Battlefield. Combo of squad leaders actually mattering, commander play, destroyable assets like UAV stations and arty. It was like an RTS but each unit was played by real people. Find a good server where teamwork and comms were required and there has been nothing like it since.

With all the problems the series has now - they should just re-release the PC classics for modern console and pc - make them cross play with some quality of life updates. Even BF3 could be re-released. BF3 console version was gimped for 360 and PS3. Its easy money and the games still hold up. This would bring people back to the series.
BF2 was my favorite too, I played it for thousands of hours. Only problem was the random deviation nonsense that I found unbearable when I tried to play it again years later.

A.Romero

Didn't notice when they retired them.

I have BF1942 in Origin. They gave it away for free a few years back. Haven't installed it.

Since that game's release BF became my fav FPS MP series. Even now I somehow manage to enjoy 2042 despite it's flaws.

Naked Lunch

BF2 was my favorite too, I played it for thousands of hours. Only problem was the random deviation nonsense that I found unbearable when I tried to play it again years later.
I remember reading interviews at the time where they decided to include the bullet deviation to try to artificially extend gun battles. Since it was still rare to have that many players in a match at once - they were still learning how to manage gameplay flow. Getting a single kill back then on my bunk PC was a thrill. I mainly acted as a mobile spawn point for my squad and figuring out where to go next - and I still had fun for countless hours. Back then no one cared about K/D. Different times...

DICE has improved their gunplay a thousand fold since then - and it would be something to see them take the gunplay of say BF3 or BC2 and put it in the exact formula of BF2. No clue why the franchise has regressed instead of expanding on BF2. To the point its not even recognizable anymore. Every game since BF2/2142 has been major steps back - dumbed down.

Last edited:

H4ze

Played the shit out of these when I was young, no Battlefield ever had me hooked again like them, pure love.

A re-release and I'd be there day one.

Melon Husk

There are 7 people playing BFV on a Canadian server at time of writing. Large scale arcade shooters with vehicles kind of died as a genre when BF became COD.

Gp1

You can try BF 2 mod Project Reality: link.

Wasn't Squad the sucessor of PR?

I remember PR being around since more than 15 years ago.

Getting a single kill back then on my bunk PC was a thrill. I mainly acted as a mobile spawn point for my squad and figuring out where to go next - and I still had fun for countless hours. Back then no one cared about K/D. Different times...

That... and play as commander.
Good old times.

MiguelItUp

Honestly from 1942 to 2142, I loved all of them for different reasons. But man, I feel like some of the best memories I had were in Battlefield Vietnam and the Desert Combat mod for 1942. Such great games. Vietnam having the whole music thing was so neat, hearing a chopping fly in blasting Flight of the Valkyries almost never got old.

I know a few years ago community servers were made and people dove back in. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still lingering here and there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Add Bad Company 2 to the list. That was still far more Battlefield than current year.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They took them off the store because they are multiplayer only games tied to Gamespy, which shut down in 2014. It's still possible to play multiplayer but you have to connect directly through IP. The master server list is gone.

Holy shit, Gamespy shut down? I don't know this world anymore.

Kupfer

I miss the good old BF times. Me and my buddy regularly skipped school for BF2 and Wake Island.

Today I found compensatory in

Hell Let Loose for BF1942
Rising Storm Vietnam for BF Vietnam
Squad for BF2

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom