• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PS5's look

MetalAlien

Banned
PS1 to PS2 this was a perfect bump up

and then PS2 to PS3..........

that shit was like okay, the future is HERE

from that point forward things got fuzzy and i think the creative world, including movies, started to just become formulaic as if the universe just said "ok around 2007 we reached peak creativity and there's no way to go higher than that so let's i guess let's just buzz around below it"

when i see the ps2 and ps3 they truly make a statement as to how far they have come

now we have this tacky alienware looking thing with no attitude at all lol

i wish demons souls at least showed some substantial gameplay

i wish the david jaffe era god of war made everyone piss their pants

and i with killzone 5 entered the area guns blazing

i am not mad since i wasn't planning on getting a ps5 either way, but it is just underwhelming
I loved the PS2 design so much I wanted everything I owned to match... PS3 never really grabbed me. I also wanted a PC that looks like the Tool workstation.

Nj6bvmZ.jpg

BlackM1st

Banned
PS5 looks terribad. 360 circa 2021. Both looks like toys. White color not gonna fit in most gaming/media setups too. Bad. Probably the 1st time I would consider buying a limited edition console for color change. But ain't nobody's got time for dat, I'm buying day 1. Bah.

Never owned a PS2 but I think it's the best looking console ever. I wish Sony kept that design language. The series X is the style of hardware that looks the nicest to me in todays style, M$ in general is killing it in hardware lately. New Playstation looks dorky as shit, including the controller.

Moogle11

Banned
Judging by the horizontal design that is popping on the web, I would say they designed the digital version to stay vertically and the one with the optical driver to stay horizontally.

At least, the one with the optical driver looks better to me by staying horizontallly rather than vertically.

I think both can lay horizontally. Devices don't have to have flat bottoms to sit level horizontally.

I.e the Tivo Bolt

:
offer_expired_tivo_bolt.jpg

dolabla

I think it looks futuristic. It's an interesting design. Anybody know if it has USB ports on the back of the console?

Garnox

Not a fan of the design. Digital only console looks a bit better.

It looks like one of those fan made "leaks" where you look at it and think, no way. Then Sony shows the real console and you're like, man that looks sharp. Except in this case, the fan made draw up turns out to be legit.

I'm more of a traditional box lover. Nintendo was always the wacky console designers with the N64, GameCube, etc.

I do like that blue led design though.

Regardless, I'll wait for the slim model and will be ready for a price cut at that point anyways.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Best looking vertical PS console imo, horizontally it looks terrible.it better be quiet or looks won't matter to me.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
The more I rewatch the reveal video, the more I like this design. The curvier design and high contrast is very bold imo. Exotic sports car vibes.

Also, this thing has meme magic written all over it. Free marketing more or less.

Last edited:

mango drank

Absolutely the opposite. There you have a rationalist, minimalistic extreme design (Tesla) and ... that other thing.
I would've preferred for the PS5 to look more like the Cybertruck, and vice versa. The PS5 would look cooler as a blockier, more geometric object. In trying to break the mold, the swoopy design looks dated, ironically. All the comparisons to old routers are on point.

Kumomeme

i like xsx design..but if we compare this ps5 side by side, xsx would look boring

i believe people will 'grow' to like the design eventually...it might be 'shocked' for those who expect some minimalist, modern design like those fans render we see before......for those who didnt like these fancy futuristic design, maybe we can see simplified/minimalist version of ps5 slim later

i need to see black version...not fans of white colour.

also, considering the thinkness and the vents available on the console, it would be funny if the console end up overheat and noisy lol...we need to see internal design too.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Not a huge fan of it when it’s standing up. Looks great when it’s on its side.

PS1 slim > PS4 > PS2 Slim > PS1 > PS5 > PS3 Slim > PS2 > PS4 Pro > PS3

Celcius

°Temp. member
The same way people were making special edition mock controllers, I’d like to see them do the same thing to the console. Hmm..

lachesis

My initial thought... it looks like some cheap router you get with your Cable TV subscription. :(

I expected better from Sony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not a huge fan to be honest, but I typically just want a black slab that doesn't stand out, so I'm boring.

Arkam

The more I look at it the more I like it. It is is out there for sure.... but so was the DualSense at unveil. I do kinda like that it is unique. Refreshing after all the recent box designs I was worried it was all black boxes moving forward. Really want dimensions and a hands on video to fully grasp how it would fit in my entertainment center.

Top Bottom