• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2010)

ultron87

Re-reading Excession by Iain M. Banks.

Excession.jpg

Might pick up his new one, Surface Detail once I finish this. Or possibly get back to Old Man's War.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
picked this up the other day and will be starting it soon:

zobcd.jpg

Quincey

Banned
Just finished The Violent Bear It Away. Loved it. Would definitely recommend.
Just started A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I just saw Dave Eggers talk about Zeitoun and Katrina so I thought I would give it a go.

Az987

all good things
I am reading Soul Survivor right now.

51tJAt96v%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

its pretty interesting if you believe in reincarnation or are curious about it.

Oh and I finished a book on Friedrich Nietzsche called Nietzsche (Beginner's Guide). It was pretty good but it kind of went over my head a bit lol. Some of the words were to big for me :lol

kinn

Finished off Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Was an ok read but I still dont see what the fuss was all about.

Half way through the second book and Im finding it much better.

Been recommended to start reading some Tom Clancy stuff afterwards. Yay or nay?

Eric WK

I just finished 2666 by Roberto Bolaño, the finest piece of contemporary literature I've read, just a monstrous, world destroying work.

I'm going to use Dubliners to recuperate.

Quincey said:
How is this?

After reading a few more chapters, I can say Inverting the Pyramid is pretty damn amazing. Even if the rest of the book is crap (which I am sure it's not), the read has been worth it. There is such a logical progression from the inception of football tactics (The 2-3-5 formation, the pyramid the book name references) towards current day formations. And the transitions are always explained in the context of the people who changed the game and times/political climate they were living in.

Salazar

whatsinaname said:
There is such a logical progression from the inception of football tactics (The 2-3-5 formation, the pyramid the book name references)

:lol

The early formations and styles of play seem amazingly, bafflingly absurd. If you haven't read David Winner's "Those Feet" - get on it. If you enjoyed "Inverting the Pyramid", you'll like Winner's book - which is more stylishly written, for one thing.

soultron

Banned
child-44.jpg

Great post-WWII Stalinist Russia crime thriller. I'm not very well read when it comes to Russian life around that period, but some of it is scary if true. Torture methods, being arrested for anything that could be "treason against the State," and so forth.

Great read thus far. Real page turner. If you liked Orwell, get this book.

Salazar said:
:lol

The early formations and styles of play seem amazingly, bafflingly absurd. If you haven't read David Winner's "Those Feet" - get on it. If you enjoyed "Inverting the Pyramid", you'll like Winner's book - which is more stylishly written, for one thing.

I am a Madrid fan, so there have been a few seasons where it felt like we still played a 2-3-5 formation post 2000. It was just 2 defenders and Casillas. :lol

Hmm, Those Feet does not seem to be at my local library. Will have to find a used copy somewhere. How is Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football?

Salazar

whatsinaname said:
Hmm, Those Feet does not seem to be at my local library. Will have to find a used copy somewhere. How is Brilliant Orange: The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football?

Haven't read it - but the virtually unanimous praise for it was what led me to check out Those Feet.

Salazar said:
Haven't read it - but the virtually unanimous praise for it was what led me to check out Those Feet.

Cool. Two copies at my library. Just put a hold on one of them. Thanks for the recommendations. :D

Xater

soultron said:
http://thebookwormchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/child-44.jpg[IMG]

Great post-WWII Stalinist Russia crime thriller. I'm not very well read when it comes to Russian life around that period, but some of it is scary if true. Torture methods, being arrested for anything that could be "treason against the State," and so forth.

Great read thus far. Real page turner. If you liked Orwell, get this book.[/QUOTE]

I bought this book for my parents not too long ago. Both of them read it and record time and really enjoyed it. The guy has also written a follow up, Kolyma, but they have not read that one yet.

So far I am really enjoying Tokyo Vice, I have already read fourth of it. Adelstein is a pretty witty writer which makes the whole thing flow wonderfully, it also gives a unique perspective of Japan. At this point I would totally recommend it. Let's see if my opionion will change further along, but I doubt it.

I finally got around to finishing All the Pretty Horses. It's excellent, of course. I'm moving on to The Crossing next.

I'm also recently started Kafka on the Shore, which I'm loving so far. I think I'll finish this one soon. I can't tear myself away from it.

And I recently finished The French Lieutenant's Woman for class. I love Fowles.

Foob said:
the crying of lot 49

for like the 10th time

I really did not enjoy that book. In fact, I think I threw it across the room when I finished it. Which is really strange, since it's exactly the sort of thing I usually enjoy.

I did read it years ago. Maybe I would appreciate it more now.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I'm on the second book of the hunger games trilogy and I can't decide how I feel about it yet. One moment something really interesting happens than the next some stupid bullshit completely takes me out of the experience. But I keep reading for some reason. Katniss reminds me of Kate from lost. An unrealistic set of character traits wrapped in a confusing moral logic. And at times she's brilliant and cunning and others conveniently oblivious.

After reading the terror and under the dome which were both superb this book feels like a step down. Under the dome was strange and terrifying and very human. Don't know how else to put it.

Aegus

tmarques said:
Just finished

What a letdown. I enjoyed A Wild Sheep Chase so much I ordered a dozen or so Murakami books. Dance Dance Dance and The Wind Up Bird Chronicle were basically variations of Sheep Chase. The short stories were mostly ok, except for a couple of stand-outs. After Dark was just weak, though.

I believe that's usually what happens when something is written as a sequel...

Nymerio

Holtz said:
I just finished that one too (GREAT book), and started on the continuation:
SOhAo.jpg

Yeah, I can't wait to get on that. I have all the Black Company books ordered, they should arrive around monday.

Oh my goodness. Pride and Prejudice is so good. I cannot believe it has taken me this many years to read it. More the fool am I, eh? :D

Fool? Agreed. It helps that Elizabeth Bennet is probably the most charming female character in - at least - English literature. (Yeah, I know I'm likely forgetting someone or someones, but I'd like to have my Kanye moment, please.)

Sotha Sil

crowphoenix said:
Oh my goodness. Pride and Prejudice is so good. I cannot believe it has taken me this many years to read it. More the fool am I, eh? :D

Fool? Why? There's nothing wrong with keeping a few timeless classics in your backlog! P&P will always hold a special place in my heart; I gave it to my sister (who basically never reads) a few years back, and she's much more into books since then. Hurray for dislexic Jane Austen, writer extraordinaire.

mike23

mike23 said:

Finished this up finally. My grad classes are really cutting in to my reading time.

Reading this when it gets here on Monday

GYjrW.jpg

I think I've probably read most of the short stories, but I really want to read the new one. Plus, when I'm done I'll mail it to my dad who hasn't read any of the shorts.

eznark

Banned
51Akck-6SSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finally finished Follett's latest. Stunning. It's an absolutely fantastic work of historical fiction. It's a remarkable work that quite honestly is the best book I have read in an incredibly long time. Purely by coincidence I read Guns of August a month or so ago and it fed perfectly into this book. I suggest to anyone who wants to learn about World War I that these two books are the perfect place to start.

Every character is interesting and while meant to be an avatar for their nation or movement, they are never cardboard. The interactions and emotions are powerful. The writing isn't notable except that it never gets in the way. Follett is able to subtly change his writing to suit the situation and the circumstance so that the words themselves, not just their meaning, evoke particular images.

The only glaring weakness is Follett's preoccupation with sex. Unlike the hack fantasy authors I always chide for their virgin-esque descriptions of sex, Follett manages to treat to act itself with dignity, but in the first third of the book it's constant. As the book plays out it becomes clear this is with purpose but it can be a bit much at times, especially in the weeks following the assassination but before the outbreak of war.

My biggest problem now is how to follow it up. It's probably going to be years before Follett finished up the sequel...which is now my most anticipate work ever.

Xater

Ok just finished Tokyo Vice and I have to say, it's an incredible book. I was amazed how well Adelstein was able to combine the serious subject matter with alot of humor. He still managed to provide alot of food for thought especially with the very serious ending. A read I can't recommend enough.

thomaser

Henrik Ibsen's "Hedda Gabler". I'm only on the second act, but Hedda already shows signs of being a complete and utter psychotic bitch. She'll probably kill someone soon.

Just finished:

41DcGIJLCTL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just started:

51-jm6nltML._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Shadow's Edge was fantastic, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than the first book. Really loving this series, can't wait to see how it all ends.

Vard

40 pages into Lolita and really enjoying it. I've seen the Kubrick film but this is naturally quite different. Amazing writing! I want to read Nabokov's Pale Fire and The Eye eventually.

The Long Ships is on hold until I finish Lolita, since I'm borrowing my copy from a friend. I'm looking forward to getting back into that as well, in due time.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Stick to Drawing Comics Monkey Brains. Scott Adams

Really funny. Shades of Dave Barry

and

Way of The Kings by Brandon Sanderson

This is going to get back burnered for the next Wheel of Time book.. and when ever I read fantasy I feel like I should be working on my own book.. so I stop and start writing.. lol

Cr0wn0

Read the first 3 drizzt books and now I'm about 30% into Game of thrones. It's getting better and better as I go. I've been forcing myself to read it so far. I'm hoping it gets awesome soon,everyone I know says Its amazing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Cyan said:
Heh. Ever thought about doing NaNo?

I have... but I really want to try to write an "epic" series of sorts.. so had to flesh out more than characters.. now I am in the meat of writing it and hoping to get the first book done by next year..

Alucard said:
Are all of Gibson's books as difficult to understand as Neuromancer? As much love as that book gets, I just didn't care for it and found it a chore to get through because of the weird narrative style and structure. Basically, I had almost no clue what was happening for about 75% of the book. I don't consider myself stupid, and I like to think that I can grasp complex material, but Neuromancer was just over my head.

I think it's more the density than the difficulty. Any dense fiction like that really requires you slow down and adapt to the prose style.

Max

I am not Max
FlowMyTearsThePolicemanSaid%281stEd%29.jpg

Well, just finished this. Overall I'm quite disappointed because I had heard it was one of his better books but I really got nothing out of it like my experiences with A Scanner Darkly and Androids Dream, which stick with me to this day. I guess this is a cheesy 70's scifi film in book form, plot holes cloud my head and the pacing just doesn't keep you interested. Out of nowhere a conclusion is brought upon you with some explanation but no sense of it anywhere beforehand. And then the main characters shift and all the sappy sentimental crap that I love is portrayed through the crying policeman, basically the main antagonist, which I quite enjoyed reading even though I had no connection with this character until then.

Looking forward to see how they butcher the film adaptation at least.

Onto finishing the rest of VALIS and then I'm probably going to take a break from all this PKD. Although I'm really wanting to read The Man in the High Castle right about now regardless.

Tell me about some great sf please? I might just pick up that Game of Thrones book from the library, the HBO teaser got me interested. Might be a good break from scifi.

Salazar

HarkenSlash said:
51FBp-OhnDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I have to read it for school, but it's actually quite enjoyable.

The texts I probably put most time into were Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander, Tacitus' Agricola, Caesar's De Bello Gallico, and Plutarch's Lives. I didn't really get to Thucydides, which is a shame - not that I would have readily traded the time I spent with Plutarch. Too goddamned enjoyable.

ultron87 said:
Re-reading Excession by Iain M. Banks.

Excession.jpg

Might pick up his new one, Surface Detail once I finish this. Or possibly get back to Old Man's War.

I can't find this version ANYWHERE. All I can find is the small format paperback which I've accidentally bought twice

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finally got a Kindle. Just running out of room and shelf space and my special lady cringes whenever she sees new books. I like it a lot so far. After living in a small bookstore-less town I had gotten used to waiting a week or two for Amazon's free shipping, so getting a book in less than a minute is a nice change.

I am reading I am the Gloryhunter: One Man's Quest for the Ultimate Football Season. It's really funny so far. The premise: the author puts all the teams in the Football League in a hat, pulls one out, and pledges to move there and follow that team until...it loses. Then he pulls up stakes and starts following the winner, and so on and so on, for an entire season.

514BDD3GRAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

About 150 pages in. I grabbed this because it was one of Time's (I think it was Time) '3 big books of the Fall'. Big it is. Check it:

Slightly over 1,000 pages (and McSweeney's printed in on thickish paper, so the book is HUGE), and for that alone it's being compared to Infinite Jest. It takes place over four days in the life of a 10-year-old who is convinced he's the Messiah. Think Owen Meaney with an attitude problem. So far it's really amusing - nowhere near the level of IJ's complexity, but there are hints of it, and the writing is very good - very readable.

Tip: if you want to pick this up, the cover price is $29, but Amazon has it for $15-ish.

Xater said:
Ok I am giving this one another shot because everyone is so in love with it:

51gTFaEvGfL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
It's really, really good yes. Do not expect Dostoyevsky, it's not thát good, but this really is pretty much the best the genre has to offer. Almost done with the second book and it's one big WOAH after the other. ALso, he's not afraid to kill main characters, which is awesome as you never know whether or not a character will survive a situation.

Numpt3

Recently finished this, really enjoyed it. He goes to quite a few interesting places such as Iran, Chernobyl, Cambodia, Beirut... and gets into some rather strange situations.
the-dark-tourist1.jpg

Waiting for this to arrive...
51WvoP9nCwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I likes me travel books. :D

eznark

Banned
Xater said:
Ok I am giving this one another shot because everyone is so in love with it:
Meh. It's ok to not love it. Of course, it isn't ok to say you don't love it on GAF, but you don't have to feel bad.

Speaking of my unpopular opinions, I'm gonna give that hack Banks another shot. Player of Games, here I come.

Dresden

Dresden said:
cmimg_13269.jpg

Good read so far.
Finished it over lunch.

Great book. It's also a short read at just about 250 pages.

I had no idea one hundred thousand South Koreans died in South Korea before the Korean War, thanks to the American-backed Rhee regime... goddamn.

I'm about to begin John Ajvide Lindqvist's Harbour after enjoying Let The Right One In but finding Handling The Undead slightly hard going (although I did quite like it)

Top Bottom