• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Games with Gold for June 2023 Announced

Adios dev...big rant

While I somewhat understand his frustration, going over to Twitter and crying on the interwebs isn't a very good professional look either.

This dude sounds like he is troubled in real life and has a ton of issues going on. He writes stuff like his on suicide watch.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
While I somewhat understand his frustration, going over to Twitter and crying on the interwebs isn't a very good professional look either.

This dude sounds like he is troubled in real life and has a ton of issues going on. He writes stuff like his on suicide watch.

I'm sure he was compensated to be part of the GWG program. Those are the breaks.

WoJ

Adios dev...big rant

I'm probably a terrible person, but this was hilarious to read.

I agree that people shouldn't review bomb to be punitive. But the issue raised about the inverted axis is a legit criticism and I have no problem with the negative reviews over that.

The complaints around review bombing based on Microsofts games with gold offerings compared to Sony is shitty to the dev, but I also get the frustration on the gamer side. PS Plus and GWG were initially in competition with each other back in the PS360 days and early PS4/Xbone days. It's natural to compare offerings as a consumer and be pissed if you don't believe you are getting comparable value.

Blame Microsoft for never actually being honest about what expectations should be going forward for GWG vs Gamepass.

Banned
He has an account here D DocSeuss

That's one hell of a rant, and to be honest part and parcel of creating any piece of work is to be able to take criticism on the chin, regardless of what criticism is borne out of.

Use the publicity for positivity, not to rant like this.

Just my 2 cents.

also imo no inverted Y axis option is an absolute no go and it's good that people speak out about it in user reviews

Reactions: GHG

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
6cfe1e50-8fe4-4bf6-80d7-3048dd575222_text.gif

GHG

Gold Member
People review bomb a GwG game? I don't even review them if I play them.

Seriously why shouldn't people review them? You're paying for the service are you not and this is meant to be one of the perks?

Also as far as I can see all the reviews he's referenced are from the Xbox games store, so there's no questioning their legitimacy.

AJUMP23

Seriously why shouldn't people review them? You're paying for the service are you not and this is meant to be one of the perks?

Also as far as I can see all the reviews he's referenced are from the Xbox games store, so there's no questioning their legitimacy.
You can review them no issue with it. But it might be good to require a minimum of 4 hours of in game time prior to reviews being posted.

GHG

Gold Member
You can review them no issue with it. But it might be good to require a minimum of 4 hours of in game time prior to reviews being posted.

And if a game doesn't last 4 hours? Or it has game breaking issues that prevent players from getting that far? Then what?

I'm all for play time being displayed alongside user reviews (I actually think the system on Steam is close to perfect), but creating arbitrary rules for who can and can't leave reviews for products they've sampled is a slippery slope.

In this instance, it doesn't take 4 hours if play time for someone to realise they are unable to invert the Y axis.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

And if a game doesn't last 4 hours? Or it has game breaking issues that prevent players from getting that far? Then what?

I'm all for play time being displayed alongside user reviews (I actually think the system on Steam is close to perfect), but creating arbitrary rules for who can and can't leave reviews for products they've sampled is a slippery slope.

In this instance, it doesn't take 4 hours if play time for someone to realise they are unable to invert the Y axis.
Not every solution is perfect, but some solutions are better than nothing. I believe steam requires 4 hours prior to a review. If you want you could make the review system controlled to some extent by the developer. Limit reviews to people that have played on a scale of 1 to 10 hours. Let the developer set that scale when the publish.

GHG

Gold Member
Not every solution is perfect, but some solutions are better than nothing. I believe steam requires 4 hours prior to a review. If you want you could make the review system controlled to some extent by the developer. Limit reviews to people that have played on a scale of 1 to 10 hours. Let the developer set that scale when the publish.

No it doesn't.

It requires that you own the game and that you've played it, that's it. Your playtime is then displayed alongside your review alongside your purchase method. You can even leave reviews for games that you've refunded, in which case it will state alongside the review that you've refunded the game.

Developers should certainly not be allowed to set any rules around who can and can't leave reviews for their games and how those reviews are then displayed. Absolute tosh. The only people that helps is themselves (as in the developers/publishers), not the people who are looking for other people's experiences to help steer their purchasing decision.

Transparency is key, not review censorship or moderation, especially not from the people who create and sell the products.

Last edited:
Top Bottom