• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

Soodanim

Gold Member
It may be out of place here, but my one true love of music has always been UK Garage, which for the uninitiated is an offshoot of House music. Eventually it led to the current form Grime, which some of you may be more familiar with.

For me it’s the smooth melodies I love the most. good vibes of being a ~138bpm genre with strong Soul/RnB influences, sample/remix heavy, similar in some ways to how Hip Hop’s East Coast (New York) Boom Bap producing style had a heavy lean on samples.

UKG, being a DJ led scene like a few others, is elevated by the mix. The art and science of a good DJ that can mix properly is easy to underestimate, because they make it look effortless but it’s not nearly as easy as it seems.

Anyway, I recently got round to putting some old DJ EZ (E Zed, America) mixes on my phone (could never be bothered to deal with iTunes for a long time) and I’ve been reminding myself of how much I love it, especially as it’s summer.

A few examples of records and mixes:

(This is the same Sia of fairly recent fame, but much earlier work. Confused me when she got famous)

This is an example of a tune that is a remix of a song, designed for the energy for a mix.

14:00 for what I mean about the above, high energy mixes. EZ perfected normal mixing, so he developed a more technical style that he does at live shows.

This is disc one of the first Garage CD I got. The mixes are etched into my mind as strongly as the vinyl the tunes are pressed on.

Vagswarm

NSFW, like most rap. lol. Tupac was incredible; so much passion and realness. Can even feel it in the beat. That 3rd verse... wow.

Another awesome track I've been binging on lately:

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Recently on Dolby Atmos binge thanks to getting Apple TV and already having a HomePod. Mostly classical music (Apple Music has a dedicated Dolby Atmos playlist for that):

I am super close to buying a second one and having a stereo pair.

Listened to this 5 times over the weekend:

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Most AIC fans choose Dirt or Jar Of Flies as their favorite album, and those are amazing albums for sure, but personally, I think self titled/Tripod is their best. I love it so much!

Great album. The problem with selecting a best Alice In Chains' album is their best tracks are all spread out. They don't have an Appetite For Destruction type album, where most people know that's the one.

mortal

Gold Member

1.gif
image.gif

Lately these have been in my rotation - (I have really eclectic music tastes - any genre/era - if I love it, I love it)

Edit: well crap, I don't know why so many unavailable videos, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom