• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Wedbush Dec NPD Preview) Industry up 28% (HW Estimates)

GhaleonEB

ThirdEye said:
Didn't Microsoft brag about twice the sales of PS3 or something like that?
That was for the week of Black Friday, which was covered in November NPD. And for that month they didn't double PS3 sales. The only word we've had from MS on sales since then is their updated WW shipped figure.
justjohn said:
predictions
That too.

bycha

If wedbush estimates are true than PS3 sold more copies worldwide then 360 in December thanks to Japan and European numbers.

GhaleonEB said:
That was for the week of Black Friday, which was covered in November NPD. And for that month they didn't double PS3 sales. The only word we've had from MS on sales since then is their updated WW shipped figure.

That too.

Yeah, until manufacturer brags directly align with NPD periods, it can be difficult to prove or disprove them.

bycha said:
If wedbush estimates are true than PS3 sold more copies worldwide then 360 in December thanks to Japan and European numbers.

Wait, what is your source for comprehensive Europe numbers?

GhaleonEB

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Wait, what is your source for comprehensive Europe numbers?
And isn't it a little early to switch the discussion from NPD to WW? We usually at least have actual data before that happens.

My question is how is 800-900k for the PS3 good when the 360 sold 1.2 million at the same price point last year? The PS3 offers a better value at 400$ doesnt it? I doubt the core last year was the reason why the 360 sold 1.2 Million.

Unless Gears put the 360 at those numbers last year.

GhaleonEB

GameOver117 said:
My question is how is 800-900k for the PS3 good when the 360 sold 1.2 million at the same price point last year? The PS3 offers a better value at 400$ doesnt it? I doubt the core last year was the reason why the 360 sold 1.2 Million.

It is very good relative to past PS3 sales. It is less good by other historical measures.

GameOver117 said:

It was more like 1.1 million for the 360, but yea still a bit down from what the 360 did December 2006.

The real question is going to be how much of an impact does Blu Ray end up having on PS3 sales moving forward? There are cheaper blu ray players out there than the PS3, but how many will know that the PS3 represents one of the safest blu ray purchases you can make ,considering price and feature set.

FIREBABY

CowboyAstronaut said:
It was more like 1.1 million for the 360, but yea still a bit down from what the 360 did December 2006.

The real question is going to be how much of an impact does Blu Ray end up having on PS3 sales moving forward? There are cheaper blu ray players out there than the PS3, but how many will know that the PS3 represents one of the safest blu ray purchases you can make ,considering price and feature set.
Why is this always being brought up as of late. When the general public hears Playstation, they think of games not Blu Ray. I think the bigger question is, will the existing userbase start to buy more games this year?

Flakster99

GhaleonEB said:
It is very good relative to past PS3 sales. It is less good by other historical measures.

Bang on. The real test will be in the months to come. It will mostly be about the games.

The concept of the PS3 was built with forward thinking in mind, and right now I see that concept (for better or worse) having a continued snow ball effect on sales, a small snow ball effect as of now, but it is steadily building.

Flakster99 said:
The concept of the PS3 was built with forward thinking in mind, and right now I see that concept (for better or worse) having a continued snow ball effect on sales, a small snow ball effect as of now, but it is steadily building.

Looking at past generations I don't see evidence of any relationship between system power and sales or longevity.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Looking at past generations I don't see evidence of any relationship between system power and sales or longevity.

get ready for history to be made?

If predictions come true : Performance is honorable for ps3, but i expected more after price drop + ads + Uncharted.
What is there on the 4-5 month horizon that could reverse the tide ?
Wii, i'll never understand but i'm not casual so...
360 is selling really good in US.

davepoobond said:
get ready for history to be made?

The past is always the best possible indicator of the future. If you think that the future will be different than the past, you need to explain what has changed about the way the consumer base thinks, and why.

davepoobond

DeaconKnowledge said:
Based on what parameters?

What is past is present, and what is present is past, what is future is present or whatever that quote from Command and Conquer was.

Jammy said:
:lol

What?

No.

about the only part of this post you got right was the "lol"

beermonkey@tehbias said:
The past is always the best possible indicator of the future. If you think that the future will be different than the past, you need to explain what has changed about the way the consumer base thinks, and why.

it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment, anyhow.

beerbelly

Banned
Guy Legend said:
Resistance is still the best selling PS3 game of all time, correct? I'm thinking that COD4 may surpass that if it hasn't already....

Someone from here awhile ago mentioned this: the 360 and PS3 fanbase have the same taste.

davepoobond said:
it was more of a tongue-in-cheek comment, anyhow.

I kind of thought it was. We do have other members who really think that system power will somehow decide this gen, though.

beerbelly said:
Someone from here awhile ago mentioned this: the 360 and PS3 fanbase have the same taste.

Agreed, I'm surprised how on PS3 that nothing gets hype or sales like a hot shooter. On 360, I kind of expected it.

Wollan said:
If COD4 makes 2million in Dec, what's the total up to (all platforms) ?

Edit: UT3 PS3 at 150k is too high. 70k is my guess. Pisspoor marketing. Dec 10th release date surprise to many..etc.

There is no way that UT3 can move more copies in it's first month then Uncharted.

beerbelly said:

Which is odd when you see so many comments about the 360 being a FPS machine but the games that sell the best on the PS3 are in deed, FPS.

beerbelly said:

Of course they do. Only in places like Neogaf, do people truly think there is some big difference between the people who own PS3s and the people who own Xbox 360s. Gamers are gamers, regardless of what platform on which they play most of their games.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
ThirdEye said:
Didn't Microsoft brag about twice the sales of PS3 or something like that?

I am sure they did twice the software sales of the PS3.

davepoobond

ps3 isnt selling well because it has no rumble

once that is released in america the sales will assplode!!!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
oneHeero said:
Even than, I didnt expect Ps3 sales to skyrocket and surpass everything @ $600 lol. When everythign was announced, even I was predicting the Wii would outsell the other 2. You can buy a $400-500 or $500-600 console or grab one @ $250.
...You're kinda behind the times, huh?

Flakster99

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Forward thinking does not only equate to system power, and it's a shame in the responses no one recognized or thought about it further. This is nothing new, the PS3 is a feature-rich, forward/future thinking HI-DEF gaming console. For example:

HDMI is standard.
HDD is standard.
Free online gaming/profile via Home.
It's format is HI-DEF BR.
It's media is an open standard.

And when you compare this to the 360 and to the Wii and their respective feature set, it's self evident. Not to say that an all encompassing forward thinking console is best for the industry, that it will enable Sony to sell the most consoles by the end of the generation, or make Sony right and everyone else wrong, it is what it is.

Flakster99 said:
Forward thinking does not only equate to system power, and it's a shame in the responses no one recognized or thought about it further. This is nothing new, the PS3 is a feature-rich, forward/future thinking HI-DEF gaming console. For example:

HDMI is standard.
HDD is standard.

And when you compare this to the 360 and to the Wii and their respective feature set, it's self evident. Not to say that an all encompassing forward thinking console is best for the industry, that it will enable Sony to sell the most consoles by the end of the generation, or make Sony right and everyone else wrong, it is what it is.

Those Wii owners are going to feel so silly when they find out.

loosus

Banned
I know it's not profit and is probably just software at that, but the revenue projection for Nintendo seems a little on the low side. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Flakster99 said:
Awesome reply, would read again.

Like I said, it is what it is.

I'll trade ignore lists with you, then you won't have to.

it is what it is, and no matter how we looked, we couldn't see it any other way

FIREBABY said:
Why is this always being brought up as of late. When the general public hears Playstation, they think of games not Blu Ray. I think the bigger question is, will the existing userbase start to buy more games this year?

I'm not going to say people buy it just because it has blu-ray in it, but everyone that I know, even non-gamers so to speak, know that the PS3 has a blu-ray drive in it.

SealSqueal said:
I'm not going to say people buy it just because it has blu-ray in it, but everyone that I know, even non-gamers so to speak, know that the PS3 has a blu-ray drive in it.

But it is not really marketed that way. I was at Best Buy over the weekend and heard several customers come in asking about an HD player. They all noted the recent momentum in the BluRay camp, but once that was decided by the customer, they did not march toward the VG section. The push the standalone players.

Would Sony want them to? I mean really. They are still loosing money or at the least breaking even. Do they want customers to buy it as a BluRay player and not be video game buyers at heart?

lockload said:
Yeh i guess outselling by 500,000 isnt enough:lol

NED: It's the Four Elephants Of The Apocalypse!
MAUDE: That's 'Horsemen', Ned.
NED: Well, gettin' closer.

I don't know why that made me think of that exchange, but it did.

Mashing

sonycowboy said:
Some SW Expectations

COD4 2.0M
GH3 2.4M
Rock Band 800k
UT 3 150k
Smackdown 900k
MX vs ATV 200k
Assasins Creed 1M

They're a lot more optimistic than any of GAF predictions. (Oh wait, they combine sku's. Nevermind then).

fi3rypho3nix said:
But it is not really marketed that way. I was at Best Buy over the weekend and heard several customers come in asking about an HD player. They all noted the recent momentum in the BluRay camp, but once that was decided by the customer, they did not march toward the VG section. The push the standalone players.

Would Sony want them to? I mean really. They are still loosing money or at the least breaking even. Do they want customers to buy it as a BluRay player and not be video game buyers at heart?

That's a good question, it depends on how much money Sony is gaining from the blu-ray format...obviously they would love people to be buying both, but having more PS3s out there cannot be a bad thing. More units to brag about, plus there is always the chance they will be tempted to buy games eventually, especially when one day they log in and Home is sitting there :)

Pacter said:
We expect December sales to be driven by recent top selling releases Nintendo’s Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play, Activision’s Call of Duty 4 and Guitar Hero III, Electronic Arts’ Rock Band, THQ’s WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008, and Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed. December is usually a light month for new releases as most publishers try to release their biggest games before the holiday selling season. The top December releases were Electronic Arts’ Rock Band (PS2), Midway’s Unreal Tournament III (PS3), and THQ’s MX vs ATV Untamed (PS3, PS2, PSP, 360, DS).

Pachter ate a little crow there . . . several months back he doubted that a modern CoD 'set in Iraq' would sell well.

Pacht-man said:
• We think that solid software sales growth will continue into early 2008, as the holiday lineup includes high priced (and sold out) games like Guitar Hero III and Rock Band, and the post-holiday line-up is also quite strong. We recommend that investors accumulate Activision, Electronic Arts, GameStop, Nintendo, THQ, and Ubisoft shares at current levels.
I see Pachter is sticking to his negative TTWO view. He recommends every major American public videogame publisher . . . except TTWO.

Flakster99 said:

Huh? Its very typical of a console to sell more in its second year on market than its first. Essentially you're arguing that PS3 sales will only continue to grow beyond the point most consoles slow down because you think so, whereas in the world of analysis and rational idea formation people like to use things that aren't assumptions, such as historical precedent, and evidence.

Flakster99

Earthstrike said:
Huh? Its very typical of a console to sell more in its second year on market than its first. Essentially you're arguing that PS3 sales will only continue to grow beyond the point most consoles slow down.

Correct.

Jokeropia

Flakster99 said:
Historically, the only thing that can prolong a console's userbase is success. Poorly selling systems (in the first year or even the first few months) have always died faster than market leading ones (completely regardless of technology and power), and I see no reason to why this generation will be any different.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Flakster99 said:

HDMI is standard.
HDD is standard.

Worked really well for the original Xbox!

HDD - standard
Online gaming w/cross game invites, and single user ID
HD gaming for the FIRST time on a console.

It was self evident, when compared to the PS2 and gamecube, the Xbox would enable MS to sell the most consoles by the end of the generation.

Top Bottom