• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jado

Banned
You have been talking about insulin spikes, becoming insulin resistant, etc. But then, why wouldn't you use the insulin index to decide which foods were good?

In the same amounts, beef and fish raise insulin more than pasta does. If insulin is the issue why doesn't that mean pasta is ok?

Of course, there may very well be something else bad about carbs but it doesn't seem like it can be reduced purely to insulin. Or perhaps it is that people eat bigger serving of pasta.

The insulin spike of these foods may be about the same in pasta, but it's much worse for other carb foods. And besides being much worse on the glycemic index, carbs also don't possess any of the benefits that meat and fish have to offset any spike in insulin.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/insulin-index/#axzz2Dx3MkvRf

When we eat protein-rich food, another chemical is released by the body that actually has a contrary effect to insulin. Protein-rich foods also result in a release of glucagon. (Carb-rich food does not.) Glucagon raises blood sugar levels in part to allow for absorption of amino acids in the liver and their subsequent transformation there to glucose.

What does this tell us? It underscores the fact that we don’t need to (and shouldn’t) include extra carbohydrates in our diet.

For people without diabetes, the insulin and glucagon responses mitigate each other, and we’re looking at a healthy picture.

CLEEK

Also I think a lot of people are resistant of such theories because it goes against everything they were ever taught. You are also pretty much telling them they have been eating wrong their entire lives. I tried telling my mom that eating fat isn't bad for you and to cut down on carbs a bit (my family loves to eat bread) and she wouldn't have any of it.

Well, that's the thing. I'm in my late 30s, and really, advertising for heath 'lifestyle' products have saturated media in the last 10 years or so. It's not just companies trying to sell you products to lose weight or eat 'healthy' food, the advise from governments has also said the same thing for decades. The common (bad) advise is the same:

* Fat is bad and will give you heart disease and make you obese.
* Eat 'healthy' food like pasta, grains and rice.

Both of which modern studies show is not true. But trying to tell some folks this is like trying to convince the religious there is no god. They have been indoctrinated and just think what you're telling them is nonsense. Not only that, there is so much conflicting information about diet and health, as companies and individuals might take one study or claim out of context, and start selling products/books on the back of it.

In an ideal world, people would be sceptical of any claim about diet of health, and seek out peer reviews of the findings. But that will never happen.

Which leads onto...

I hate these idiots insisting you should add more fat into your diet. Hasn't it been made clear enough that excess fat blocks your arteries in the long run? It's healthier to eat some carbs (just cut down your consumption a bit and don't get a huge plateful of rice/potatoes/pasta with your lunch/dinner/whatever) and ordinary amounts of fat than to eat no/very little carbs and replace it all with more fat.

There are different types of fat, each having different effects on the body. And in any case, recent systematic reviews have shown that there is no link between saturated fat consumption (the supposed 'bad' fat) and heart disease in people who are of healthy weight. Which goes against what governments and advertising have been claiming for decades. Not only that, but eating high fat, low carb meals doesn't freak out your body and the signals to your noggin' telling you you're full work. Eat a huge portion of paste or bread (effectively, just a load of sugar) and you'll soon feel hungry again, even if you've packed away 1000 calories. Eat a decent amount of fat each meal, and you'll feel fuller for longer.

The real bad fats are trans fats, which you should avoid at all costs. The other is an imbalance between Omema-3 and Omega-3. Most western diets are rich in Omeag-6, but lack Omeag-3, and an eating more of one than the other has proven links to heart disease.

grumble

Well, that's the thing. I'm in my late 30s, and really, advertising for heath 'lifestyle' products have saturated media in the last 10 years or so. It's not just companies trying to sell you products to lose weight or eat 'healthy' food, the advise from governments has also said the same thing for decades. The common (bad) advise is the same:

* Fat is bad and will give you heart disease and make you obese.
* Eat 'healthy' food like pasta, grains and rice.

Both of which modern studies show is not true. But trying to tell some folks this is like trying to convince the religious there is no god. They have been indoctrinated and just think what you're telling them is nonsense. Not only that, there is so much conflicting information about diet and health, as companies and individuals might take one study or claim out of context, and start selling products/books on the back of it.

In an ideal world, people would be sceptical of any claim about diet of health, and seek out peer reviews of the findings. But that will never happen.

Which leads onto...

There are different types of fat, each having different effects on the body. And in any case, recent systematic reviews have shown that there is no link between saturated fat consumption (the supposed 'bad' fat) and heart disease in people who are of healthy weight. Which goes against what governments and advertising have been claiming for decades.

The real bad fats are trans fats, which you should avoid at all costs. The other is an imbalance between Omema-3 and Omega-3. Most western diets are rich in Omeag-6, but lack Omeag-3, and an eating more of one than the other has proven links to heart disease.

Frankly, I find some low-carb advocates to be just as fanatical as the low fat group. Studies are not strongly in support of low carb, from what I've seen. It works, so does CR dieting. Why does everyone have to go to extremes? Just stop eating sugar, cut down moderately on carbs, eat lots of protein, eat whole, unprocessed food and exercise. You will always end up fit and at a healthy weight, you won't even have to count after the first couple of weeks, you don't have to eliminate anything from your diet except pure sugar and it's easy and has good adherence.

lol?

to hell with bread/carb hate

toast + butter is awesome

youre gonna get fat if you eat too much, be reasonable

dont eat like a pig

and dont forget to drink plenty of wator

RM8

In my case, I'm personally not indoctrinated by bread. But I don't believe you can get fat by eating below maintenance even if you eat nothing but cake (not like anyone should do that, obviously). And when we see people losing weight while not removing carbs, once again, it's pretty clear we're not talking about cold fact.

Jzero

I don't know who to believe :eek:

The government must be lying to us about everything if this is true.

Piano

Banned
Everything in moderation. The stress of obsessing over micromanagement of your diet is much worse for you in the long run than having bread a couple of times a week.

b3b0p

Between July and September I ate low carb/sugar and at SHITLOADS! No limits and no calorie counting apart from 20g of carbs a day. I lost 2 stone. My excerise levels remained the same as when I was eating normally.

It's really strange and I don't understand it either. I ate shitloads of food yet went to the toilet less and when I did, not a lot came out yet I was losing fat very fast!

shitloads is relative. What may be shitloads to you might not be as much you actually think. Shitloads of what? It's all relative and depends what you ate.

CLEEK

In my case, I'm personally not indoctrinated by bread. But I don't believe you can get fat by eating below maintenance even if you eat nothing but cake (not like anyone should do that, obviously). And when we see people losing weight while not removing carbs, once again, it's pretty clear we're not talking about cold fact.

Calories In vs Calories Out only gives a small understanding of what goes on within our body when we eat.

Just think about it at a high level. The body breaks down the different food groups in different ways. Eating 1,000 calories of carbs will have a profoundly different impact to hormone production, energy levels, fat production, hunger and nutrition than eating 1,000 calories from meat, fat and low carb veritable.

Piecake

Everything in moderation. The stress of obsessing over micromanagement of your diet is much worse for you in the long run than having bread a couple of times a week.

But thats the beauty of this diet. You dont have to micromanage anything. You cut out grain and sugar and processed foods and eat meat, veggies, fruit, and dairy until you are full

I think the everything in moderation approach and calorie counting is a lot more reliant micromanaging, less healthy, and less sustainable. You simply do not want to consume a moderate amount of sugar, HFCS or soybean oil.

Grain? Well, whatver, a moderate amount of that wont kill you if you know what a moderate amount is. The average american diet definitely isnt a moderate amount of grain though

Okay, where does it say carbs are evil, removing carbs is the magic cure to weight loss and that one can eat 10,000 calories per day and lose weight? Calories still matter.

I think you'd explode if you ate 10,000 fat and protein calories. And thats the point. It is a crap ton easier to lower your calorie intake on this diet without even trying because fat and protein are more satiating and will keep you full a lot longer

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Frankly, I find some low-carb advocates to be just as fanatical as the low fat group. Studies are not strongly in support of low carb, from what I've seen. It works, so does CR dieting. Why does everyone have to go to extremes? Just stop eating sugar, cut down moderately on carbs, eat lots of protein, eat whole, unprocessed food and exercise. You will always end up fit and at a healthy weight, you won't even have to count after the first couple of weeks, you don't have to eliminate anything from your diet except pure sugar and it's easy and has good adherence.

Yeah seriously, why does it always have to be a sharp correction?

carlo6529

Why does everyone have to go to extremes? Just stop eating sugar, cut down moderately on carbs, eat lots of protein, eat whole, unprocessed food and exercise. You will always end up fit and at a healthy weight, you won't even have to count after the first couple of weeks, you don't have to eliminate anything from your diet except pure sugar and it's easy and has good adherence.

This is what I've been doing; never was really trying to lose weight but I am trying to get in shape.

I excercise every other day and eat a lot more then what I used to(I eat more but I also eat much healthier); I need to eat something every 2 or 3 hours depending on what I eat.

I've dropped like 20 pounds of fat but gained some muscle over the last 4 months and that was without me trying to lose weight. It's kind of crazy how much calories you burn lifting weight's(it's on the off days where you lose the most). I've actually stop doing all cardio because I've been losing more weight then I want. I've recently increased the amount of food I intake and I've finally stabilized my weight.

On an average day, I'll eat:

Breakfast~ 2 eggs (poached), 2 whole wheat toast with butter, an orange and some yogurt

Between breakfast and lunch~a banana

Lunch~ I usually have a large chicken wrap with almost two chicken breasts inside, dressed in a spicy creamy chipotle sauce for taste; or if I know I'm gonna have a more intense workout, I'll eat a piece of Tilapia, some boiled brown rice and steamed broccoli and asparagus. Either of these along with some more fruit, usually grapes or an apple

Between lunch and and Dinner~ I usuallly have a little bit of cheese and some unsalted assorted nuts.

Dinner is my biggest meal, but I usually eat just whatever is being made, but I make sure to consume even more protein along with another fruit serving and usually more yogurt

After Dinner snack usually involve's eating leftovers from dinner lol.

Then I usually have a protein shake mixed with milk and water about an hour or two before I go to bed.

I eat a lot, constantly, but it's fairly healthy with low sugar and low salt. If I eat carbs, I make sure it made with whole wheat and not "enrinched wheat" crap.

Honestly low carb is an easy answer to something that should be a whole lifestyle make over.

Piano

Banned
But thats the beauty of this diet. You dont have to micromanage anything. You cut out grain and sugar and processed foods ...
Yes, if you're going to stick very stringently to any specific diet you'll have to micromanage. I generally avoid bread and processed foods. But if it comes down to it and that's what there is to eat, whatever, just relax and eat it.

...and eat meat, veggies, fruit, and dairy until you are full

Nope. You should eat slowly and eat until you aren't hungry, not until you're full. In fact, that would do way more for weight moderation than cutting grain or whatever the latest dietary argument is.

I think the everything in moderation approach and calorie counting is a lot more reliant micromanaging, less healthy, and less sustainable. You simply do not want to consume a moderate amount of sugar, HFCS or soybean oil.

Grain? Well, whatver, a moderate amount of that wont kill you if you know what a moderate amount is. The average american diet definitely isnt a moderate amount of grain though
Right. The average American diet doesn't use moderation.

I generally base my diet on protein and greens with some fruits and carbohydrates (non-wheat, generally oatmeal). Try for simple, unprocessed foods as much as I reasonably can. But when it comes down to it I can't always follow this ideal. Sometimes shitty chinese food is just where you end up.

Even living like that, which takes almost no effort and certainly doesn't necessitate reading 100 books and debating the merits of my diet on the internet, puts me in the 99th percentile of American dietary health. Sure enough, I have no nutritional health issues whatsoever.

SCIENCE!

Of course no one will pay attention to this philosophy (or this post) because it's not flashy and controversial. It's not pro or anti any specific diet. It's just...healthy. WHOA.

Ding ding ding.

My man.

DGRE

Banned
Gary Taubes is super sharp. I hope one day all this becomes common knowledge to people. It sorta baffles me that an OT like this exists because I consider it to be such basic knowledge. Being able to control your insulin is awesome. I eat garbage food post workout, usually take in 400g-500g of carbs stuff like cupcakes, cookies, pancakes, burgers, ect (all home made minimally processed) and still maintain a low body fat % because I have healthy insulin levels and peak it on purpose to spark muscle growth.

Could you talk more about this?

Piecake

Yes, if you're going to stick very stringently to any specific diet you'll have to micromanage. I generally avoid bread and processed foods. But if it comes down to it and that's what there is to eat, whatever, just relax and eat it.

[/B]
Nope. You should eat slowly and eat until you aren't hungry, not until you're full. In fact, that would do way more for weight moderation than cutting grain or whatever the latest dietary argument is.

I dont buy bread and processed foods and rarely eat out so that really never comes up. If there is some grain in a meal I am not going to freak out and refuse to eat it though. Sugar? well, i just avoid that crap

Eating till im full seems to work just fine for me

Raonak

Banned
I decided to stop eating rice for dinner every night (indian family) and now my appetite has gone to shit (don't get hungry much) and I've lost a bunch of weight.
]

blackflag

IMO some of this stuff is true and some isn't. I was absolutely fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise.

Ketogenic diet helped and also helped me keep my lbm while losing 80 lbs. it was easier because I was eating 150g fat per day which kept me from getting hungry. My cholesterol also drastically improved. Now that I'm not fat though, I eat a lot of carbs. Bread, ice cream, sweet potatoes, rice, pop tarts. Usually over 300g carbs per day. I count my calories though, eat 3k per day and still getting leaner and still have 180-190 lbs lean body mass from compound lifting super heavy the whole time I was losing weight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

[/B]

Right. The average American diet doesn't use moderation.

I generally base my diet on protein and greens with some fruits and carbohydrates (non-wheat, generally oatmeal). Try for simple, unprocessed foods as much as I reasonably can. But when it comes down to it I can't always follow this ideal. Sometimes shitty chinese food is just where you end up.

Even living like that, which takes almost no effort and certainly doesn't necessitate reading 100 books and debating the merits of my diet on the internet, puts me in the 99th percentile of American dietary health. Sure enough, I have no nutritional health issues whatsoever.

SCIENCE!

Of course no one will pay attention to this philosophy (or this post) because it's not flashy and controversial. It's not pro or anti any specific diet. It's just...healthy. WHOA.

My man.

What is with dismissive people like this who go on about how everyone is "overthinking it," and deride the fact that people would even talk about such a non-issue on the Internet, all while doing that very thing by posting here and telling everyone how wrong they are for caring?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It would be so hard for me to give up on carbs. Somebody post a diet that I could follow for 1 month. I will try to do it. #whatrobeats

Is a long-term low-carb diet efficient for building lots of lean muscle mass and consistently weight lifting?

Depends on the person. Some people can handle that quite well. For many people though you just end up feeling really tired and this will impact you ability to lift weights. In general you will want to be eating carbs if you want to build muscle mass and lift weights. Not to mention because you are burning off so many calories lifting you can afford a few more calories.

In general i would suggest going to the fitness thread for questions like that though.

Piano

Banned
I dont buy bread and processed foods and rarely eat out so that really never comes up. If there is some grain in a meal I am not going to freak out and refuse to eat it though. Sugar? well, i just avoid that crap

Eating till im full seems to work just fine for me

Sugar here and there also isn't going to kill you. See below.

What is with dismissive people like this who go on about how everyone is "overthinking it," and deride the fact that people would even talk about such a non-issue on the Internet, all while doing that very thing by posting here and telling everyone how wrong they are for caring?

I didn't mean to come across as dismissive. There's just so many (including the guy referenced in the OP) referring to a 'healthy' diet as some sort of absolute, and then everyone arguing about what that absolute is. That seems useless - we would all be much healthier if we just made more balanced, reasonable decisions. Ones that are in tune to our own specific needs.

For me, I cut out milk. It gives me stomach aches, probably because cow milk is not something our digestive systems are meant to intake. That doesn't mean it can't be part of a healthy diet. Just doesn't work for me. Even then, I have milk / ice cream once in a while.

blackflag

Yup, just eat fat and protein

It is excellent for keeping muscle while you lose weight as long as you lift heavy. Its definitely not the best thing to do if you want to gain muscle. If you are a noob at lifting, you will gain muscle regardless but there are much better ways.

Sadsic

so ive been limiting my calories and ive lost about 30 lbs since september, is that just from the carb loss then?

Piecake

so ive been limiting my calories and ive lost about 30 lbs since september, is that just from the carb loss then?

You can lose weight with calorie restriction, it is simply easier and more sustainable for, i would suggest, most people to lose weight on a low carb/high fat diet since you don't need to count calories

iddqd

I've been Paleo for a while, good results... more energy, less sluggish around mid-day.
BUT
now I'm reading hearing about "carb backloading".
Sheesh. There is always a new food god next door that has an enticing new gospel.

Jado

Banned

I personally don't get how this is a micromanagement-heavy diet. Low carb boils down to not eating the shit we were incorrectly told to eat in large quantities. It's nothing like actual diet plans with meal calendars, measuring food quantities and nutrient intake, and going out of your way to prepare unusual meals.

I cut out significant carbs from nearly all of my breakfast and lunch meals at work. Bloated feeling and digestive problem are gone, feel less sluggish, and don't get insane hunger pangs not long after eating. A couple of eggs and a few strips of bacon (a relatively small amount of food) get me through the morning much better than a pile of pancakes or potatoes. Unlike the sudden ravenous hunger from before, my appetite builds slowly and naturally from one meal to the next. It's almost shocking how different it was when I first tried it. Whenever I slip up, I physically regret it.

Whoever said something about 10,000 calories... not really possible on low-carb. You will become satiated much quicker and on a smaller pile of food. A decent cut of steak and a side of greens and I'm done. Not in a "I won't eat anymore" self-control manner, but in a "I no longer feel like eating" satisfied way. It's a major contrast from having to eat a mountain of rice and beans with extra servings to feel full.

Honestly low carb is an easy answer to something that should be a whole lifestyle make over.

Honestly, no. It's not some cheap cop-out for some other right way of living. Low carb itself is a lifestyle makeover, although not a very difficult one like overly-complicated fad diets.

dabig2

Don't think I'll ever engage in any diet that forces me to give up rice, something I eat virtually every day (if not for dinner then I'm likely eating it with something for lunch). Though, I don't partake in too many other carbs daily, except for rice.

Shiiiiiit, my weekly diet is basically meat, rice&beans, fruit, some veggies, and whey protein. Some days I eat like a bird (apple for breakfast, a bag of nuts for lunch, and then a tuna sandwich for dinner followed by a midnight cookie).

So far I'm a somewhat fit, normal-sized (not American normal) 26 year old male. We'll see in 10 years.

Skeyser

You can lose weight with calorie restriction, it is simply easier and more sustainable for, i would suggest, most people to lose weight on a low carb/high fat diet since you don't need to count calories

I'm sure most people would rather keep carbs in their diets and eat less than cutting carbs out. Shit tastes good.

Piecake

I'm sure most people would rather keep carbs in their diets and eat less than cutting carbs out. Shit tastes good.

I thought the same until I changed my diet. Carbs make me feel like a bloated sack of crap now and food tastes better because I'm not destroying my taste buds with sugar (though thats sugar's fault, not grain)

RM8

Calories In vs Calories Out only gives a small understanding of what goes on within our body when we eat.

Just think about it at a high level. The body breaks down the different food groups in different ways. Eating 1,000 calories of carbs will have a profoundly different impact to hormone production, energy levels, fat production, hunger and nutrition than eating 1,000 calories from meat, fat and low carb veritable.
Then how come people can lose weight by eating nothing but carbs, as long as they're on a calorie deficit?

blackflag

Soon as I got lean enough I brought that shit back. I needs my ice cream. It was and is a means to an end for me. Good way to keep test levels high, feel full, and keep muscle while losing weight.

Actually on non lifting days, I still keep it pretty low carb but on lifting days after I'm done lifting, carbs and sugar better watch out.

Jado

Banned
Then how come people can lose weight by eating nothing but carbs, as long as they're on a calorie deficit?

I don't think he said you can't lose weight doing that. It's just not something you should do or that can be maintained as you get older. I'm at a point where weight gain occurs if I consume an amount of carbs that gave me no problems at a younger age. If I restricted calories enough to lose weight on just carbs... I would constantly be hungry and irritated.

blackflag

Low carb high fat is a great alternative for losing weight. Low fat diets destroy testosterone levels and cause depression. Really messes with your hormones.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is somebody going to post or PM me 30 days worth of recipes to eliminate carbs for a month and test this out? I will start Jan 1. Send me infos GAF.

blackflag

Is somebody going to post or PM me 30 days worth of recipes to eliminate carbs for a month and test this out? I will start Jan 1. Send me infos GAF.

I never really used recipes per say. Just grilled/pan fried steak, grilled/pan fried chicken, pork, eggs, steamed broccoli, sauté spinach, shots of heavy cream, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, protein powder, almonds, almond milk.Lol it was the easiest way.

This is the only recipe I used and I substituted ground beef and pepperoni for the buffalo meat.

http://sinorslim.com/meats/bacon-and-bison-low-carb-pizza-recipe/

RM8

I've read about people eating with friends at a burger place, and removing the buns.

See, I'll never do this, personally. If I want a burger I'll have it, even if I have to compensate it by eating extra clean the next day. But that's just me, whatever works for everyone is okay.

blackflag

I've read about people eating with friends at a burger place, and removing the buns.

See, I'll never do this, personally. If I want a burger I'll have it, even if I have to compensate it by eating extra clean the next day. But that's just me, whatever works for everyone is okay.

Yeah I did this. Lots of in n out double doubles protein style with mustard instead of their sauce(has a lot of sugar). Even now that I'm eating a ton of carbs I don't eat much bread except a bagel ever few days or pizza crust. I just never had a huge thing for bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom