• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD_Black Xbox 1tb Expansion Card showing up on Best Buy

Banned
Yes, it is. You literally unscrew ONE screw (two if you have the stand attached), plug the drive, tighten it and then it works. No need to install any drivers no need to have lenghty configuration. You plug in and leave it there

you have to make sure your drive fits, meaning you have to look up if the drive you buy has a heatsink that isn't too big for the compartment.
you also have to know about SSDs and that you need an NVMe gen4 SSD, not NVMe gen3, and not a SATA.

I think you overestimate the capabilities and knowledge of the average console owner these days.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Someone who has two xbox series x and a series s in the house so far I love this kind of memory card...what sucks is the price. Ms needs to work with these companies to subsidise the price somehow. It shouldn't be more than 30 to 50 quid more than an nvme on its own.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I like the ease of use as someone who has both an S and an X. I use it like a memory card
Yup. Me too.
Yes, it is. You literally unscrew ONE screw (two if you have the stand attached), plug the drive, tighten it and then it works. No need to install any drivers no need to have lenghty configuration. You plug in and leave it there
What happens if I own multiple ps5s and just want to play a game in my bedroom but it isn't installed there....I can't just pull the plug and play drive out and put it in my ps5....one it would be too much hassle...two it wipes your drive, I believe.

Zuzu

The PS5 solution isn't plug and play.

That does add some value to it (depending on the person) but, for most people, it's not enough to make up for the price discrepancy between it and the SSDs available for the PS5 imo. Also, the PS5 option has its own benefit other than price. Unlike the Xbox SSD, the PS5's SSD can be repurposed to be used in other devices such as a PC whenever you want. That's another great feature about the PS5's solution.

Three

you have to make sure your drive fits, meaning you have to look up if the drive you buy has a heatsink that isn't too big for the compartment.
you also have to know about SSDs and that you need an NVMe gen4 SSD, not NVMe gen3, and not a SATA.

I think you overestimate the capabilities and knowledge of the average console owner these days.
You don't really. You have "PS5 drives" advertised as PS5 drives. So if somebody wants a "plug and play" solution because they know nothing, it's there and much cheaper.
wd-black-sn850-ps5-1tb-ww-front.900x.jpg

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The one thing they don't need with gamepass though is people worrying about storage and having expansion be so expensive works against them.
Never have I worried about storage. I never play more than 2 games at a time and have never reinstalled anything I have deleted.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Glad there is more competition now. I do like the hot swap ability of the Xbox solution(just had to test 3 different ssd in a ps5, still never temper how to get the fucking panel off lol), prices are to high when they not on sale.

graywolf323

Don't expect price drop, look at prices of SDD format 2230 and you can see, that these cards are not overpriced from that PoV. But I would still appreciate possibility of some standard 2280 option.
eh? I bought a 2TB for my Steam Deck for <$200

RyanEvans21

Or just go to bestbuy or amazon and search PS5 ssd.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

RyanEvans21

Glad there is more competition now. I do like the hot swap ability of the Xbox solution(just had to test 3 different ssd in a ps5, still never temper how to get the fucking panel off lol), prices are to high when they not on sale.
Youtube? Except PS5 ssd always on sale. bought 2tb for less than $200.

Banned
He/she talking about the Proprietary storage like vita & xbox 360.

still not comparable because you literally couldn't use a Vita out of the box.
if you bought a Vita + a retail copy of a game, and nothing else, the system would be unable to play your game.

Last edited:

Banned

ok another example, there were multiple SSD models that needed a firmware patch through a PC to work properly in a PS5.

I think some Samsung SSDs had that issue and some other brands that used similar chips as well.

and those were among the SSDs people usually advertised as great options for PS5

it's not plug and play.

Remember when clowns and fanboy shills were going after Sony at launch for not having an “elegant” expansion solution like the Xbox Series Consoles’? That shit backfired hard and now you can get double the capacity with much faster speeds on PS5 Gen 4 SSD’s than the “elegant” Gen 3 solution from MS.

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

ok another example, there were multiple SSD models that needed a firmware patch through a PC to work properly in a PS5.

I think some Samsung SSDs had that issue and some other brands that used similar chips as well.

and those were among the SSDs people usually advertised as great options for PS5

it's not plug and play.

Which ssd you need to patch it on pc before you install on PS5?

I know some people have issue with ssd speed but still faster and cheaper than xbox storage solution.

Banned
Which ssd you need to patch it on pc before you install on PS5?

I know some people have issue with ssd speed but still faster and cheaper than xbox storage solution.

some Samsung models were apparently extremely slow without a Firmware patch.

now imagine you buy an expensive Samsung branded SSD on Amazon that has a little "PS5 compatible" tag and great reviews.
then you get it and the PS5 warns you that the speed of the SSD could lead to issues with games (which it does if you don't reach ~5GB/s during their speed test on boot).

then you look online how that can be... it's a 6.xx GB/s SSD after all!?!
and then you get the news that you either have to send it back and get another one or have to put it into a PC and firmware flash it to work properly.

it being cheaper and faster is not what I'm talking about.
it's simply not true that it's a Plug and Play way to upgrade your storage, that's all I'm saying

Last edited:
some Samsung models were apparently extremely slow without a Firmware patch.

now imagine you buy an expensive Samsung branded SSD on Amazon that has a little "PS5 compatible" tag and great reviews.
then you get it and the PS5 warns you that the speed of the SSD could lead to issues with games (which it does if you don't reach ~5GB/s during their speed test on boot).

then you look online how that can be... it's a 6.xx GB/s SSD after all!?!
and then you get the news that you either have to send it back and get another one or have to put it into a PC and firmware flash it to work properly.

it being cheaper and faster is not what I'm talking about.
it's simply not true that it's a Plug and Play way to upgrade your storage, that's all I'm saying

Don't you just plug it in and it works? I did that with mine and had no SSD issues.

Last edited:

Banned
Don't you just plug it in and it works? I did that with mine and had no SSD issues.

like I said, some SSD models had issues and needed a firmware update to work properly.
most will work sine of course, but stuff like that can happen with a system where basically any m.2 SSD fits into your slot.

it is of course the better solution from the perspective of someone who can handle stuff like that. but it's not plug and play like someone stated. it's in fact something many people will have trouble with if they aren't familiar with m.2 drives, their specs, and how they get slotted in/screwed down

Last edited:
like I said, some SSD models had issues and needed a firmware update to work properly.
most will work sine of course, but stuff like that can happen with a system where basically any m.2 SSD fits into your slot.

it is of course the better solution from the perspective of someone who can handle stuff like that. but it's not plug and play like someone stated. it's in fact something many people will have trouble with if they aren't familiar with m.2 drives, their specs, and how they get slotted in/screwed down

So basically it's not an issue for the vast majority of people. Haven't really heard of a ton of upgrade issues with this. Certainly way more complaints about the coil whine than anything else.

As for those that don't know how to install the drive there's many different options to get someone else to do it. But that's an easy task for the vast majority of people which is why we didn't see a ton of complaints on the actual installation.

Banned
So basically it's not an issue for the vast majority of people. Haven't really heard of a ton of upgrade issues with this. Certainly way more complaints about the coil whine than anything else.

As for those that don't know how to install the drive there's many different options to get someone else to do it. But that's an easy task for the vast majority of people which is why we didn't see a ton of complaints on the actual installation.

just to reiterate, my whole argument was that I disagree with the notion of it being plug and play.

it's not super hard to do, but it's far from plug and play, especially compared to how it works on Xbox.

Speak for yourself. You have absolutely zero insight whatsoever what the level of technical capability the "average console" owner has.

just to reiterate, my whole argument was that I disagree with the notion of it being plug and play.

it's not super hard to do, but it's far from plug and play, especially compared to how it works on Xbox.

I see what your saying now.

My issue isn't with how difficult each are to install. I know both are relatively simple to upgrade with one being easier than the other. It's just I dont see how the extra convenience is worth the much higher price and slower drive. I guess I don't really see it in the cost but perhaps you can help me with that.

Banned
I see what your saying now.

My issue isn't with how difficult each are to install. I know both are relatively simple to upgrade with one being easier than the other. It's just I dont see how the extra convenience is worth the much higher price and slower drive. I guess I don't really see it in the cost but perhaps you can help me with that.

well yes, the price is ridiculous on Xbox, if they adjusted it to be fair it would be the better solution for most users tho.
I can just pull out my expansion card from my SX and put it into my SS which I have set up on my PC monitor for example. that is really neat to either quickly copy over a game, or just play it on the other system while the TV is occupied.

I hope the fact that it's now a somewhat open field, more manufacturers will come into the scene and push prices as low as possible.

well yes, the price is ridiculous on Xbox, if they adjusted it to be fair it would be the better solution for most users tho.
I can just pull out my expansion card from my SX and put it into my SS which I have set up on my PC monitor for example. that is really neat to either quickly copy over a game, or just play it on the other system while the TV is occupied.

I hope the fact that it's now a somewhat open field, more manufacturers will come into the scene and push prices as low as possible.

Compared to an NVME it's a product that sells to a lot less people. I don't really expect a huge amount of competition among the manufacturers to make this drive.

I do expect prices to go down but I'm not expecting a huge decrease like we saw with PS5 compatible drives.

Banned
Compared to an NVME it's a product that sells to a lot less people. I don't really expect a huge amount of competition among the manufacturers to make this drive.

I do expect prices to go down but I'm not expecting a huge decrease like we saw with PS5 compatible drives.

pretty sure they could simply put a standard SSD in that casing and just use the case as an adapter for the slot.
the consoles themselves use a normal form factor SSD after all.

best case scenario of course would be if a big manufacturer made a reliable m.2 casing for it. all the ones that are currently available are apparently pure garbage and don't really work unless you use the exact model of SSD that's inside the system.
Maybe microsoft would need to actually patch their system and make normal SSDs compatible without issue, using an adapter

Last edited:
pretty sure they could simply put a standard SSD in that casing and just use the case as an adapter for the slot.
the consoles themselves use a normal form factor SSD after all.

best case scenario of course would be if a big manufacturer made a reliable m.2 casing for it. all the ones that are currently available are apparently pure garbage and don't really work unless you use the exact model of SSD that's inside the system.
Maybe microsoft would need to actually patch their system and make normal SSDs compatible without issue, using an adapter

I don't believe that will happen because it would affect those taking advantage of the proprietary drives. That's something that could have been thought of since launch but sadly there's no evidence that they are doing this.

Can it be done? Sure. Do the firms want to lose their massive profit margins? Sadly no.

The next version on the Xbox series console will definitely have nvme drive in it

Except you will have to tear into your console to get at the drive like the Xbox One. I really don't understand why they just didn't go with NVMe like the PS5 did this gen, these proprietary storage solutions need to die already.

Last edited:
Well that's good more competitors are coming and bringing some of the price down. However it is still way to expensive compared to other nvme drive.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
For me, just buying an external USB 2TB SSD is a non-issue on my Xbox.

I can still store a couple dozen games on my internal drive to play immediately, and if I want to play something else it literally takes 3-4 minutes to transfer over a 100gb+ game. Plus any BC games can be played directly from the external SSD.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Top Bottom