• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD_Black Xbox 1tb Expansion Card showing up on Best Buy

While it personally isn't an issue for me swapping games I don't want to redownload to my 6tb hard drive, you're a fanboy if you can't accept the fact that MS made a bad bet. They thought this format would remain competitive with the NVME drives popular now, and that the price wouldn't fall out of the NVME market.

Also note that I don't know jack shit about the technical difference between the two formats. I've heard the type MS went with is superior for things like high end digital cameras, but I don't know how.

Puscifer

Nice to see more variants but damn that price, I can get a 2TB for that price and still have change for a pepsi.
2tbs are like 100ish now, and 1tb are 50-70, we're entering 2012 HDD prices now and it's only a matter of time before it goes into free fall price wise.

Topher

Gold Member
Well overdue for Seagate’s exclusivity to end. We need much cheaper options. I refuse to pay $179 for a 1TB drive. My 2TB expansion for my PS5 cost about the same amount

Still, bodes well for discounted prices.

Really does. WD Xbox 1TB is only $60-ish off their standard PS5 price. Can only imagine what prices would be if Seagate had competition out of the gate, but I think pricing wouldn’t be nearly as controversial right now had that been the case.

Edit $55-ish.

That's the closest I've seen XSX storage to PS5 storage (same brand) in quite some time.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft should just make Xbox compatible with a minimum speed PCIe spec and just let people pop NVME drives into an enclosure. Locking compatibility to a single model has made the current aftermarket expansion approach just as expensive as the Seagate option.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Microsoft should just make Xbox compatible with a minimum speed PCIe spec and just let people pop NVME drives into an enclosure. Locking compatibility to a single model has made the current aftermarket expansion approach just as expensive as the Seagate option.
The next version on the Xbox series console will definitely have nvme drive in it

Mr Moose

Really does. WD Xbox 1TB is only $60-ish off their standard PS5 price. Can only imagine what prices would be if Seagate had competition out of the gate, but I think pricing wouldn’t be nearly as controversial right now had that been the case.

Edit $55-ish.

That's the closest I've seen XSX storage to PS5 storage (same brand) in quite some time.
WTF why is the X version cheaper, isn't it newer/faster?

FingerBang

Not having the software support for SSD expansion at launch is separate from their choice of standard storage medium.
At launch there weren't many PCIe 4 SSD available, if any. Sony obviously didn't feel confident releasing the product without proper testing. They basically come out at the same time. That was the choice though. Proprietary device now or PC standard in the long run?

They've done the same since the PS3

At launch there weren't many PCIe 4 SSD available, if any. Sony obviously didn't feel confident releasing the product without proper testing. They basically come out at the same time. That was the choice though. Proprietary device now or PC standard in the long run?

They've done the same since the PS3
Hell, the PS2 could accept off the shelf IDE HDDs.

The Vita is the odd man out with proprietary bullshit.

FrankWza

I'm happy for people who get to take their storage to a friend's house or go to the far wing of their estate to plug into their other console.

I'm happy for anyone who realizes this is a totally optional storage method and that an external hard drive is much cheaper and just as capable of storing games if price is your only concern. Comparisons to Vita seem odd because as far as I know that system didn't have internal storage nor could you connect an external hard drive to it to save downloaded games avoiding any proprietary storage all together.

You know I've had both consoles since near launch, never expanded either storage and I've not ran into any issues yet.
I’ve got 11 terabytes of games installed on my XSX. Internal, expansion card, and a regular external drive. I basically download everything,

Kilau

I'm happy for anyone who realizes this is a totally optional storage method and that an external hard drive is much cheaper and just as capable of storing games if price is your only concern. Comparisons to Vita seem odd because as far as I know that system didn't have internal storage nor could you connect an external hard drive to it to save downloaded games avoiding any proprietary storage all together.
Vita comparison only because both have proprietary storage options, certainly not directly comparable. Later Vita systems did come with 1GB of on board storage but I’m pretty sure you couldn’t access both it and a memory card once you added one lol. You could connect Vita to a PC and use it as external storage but clearly doesn’t work like a connected drive an XSX or PS5.

DaGwaphics

Please someone remind me, could you replace drives in XBO or One X easily?

I don't think MS wants end-users opening the box at all. You could do it, but it wasn't officially supported.

@ NeonGhost NeonGhost , I believe the console itself has a fully replaceable NVMe drive in it now, just a short 2230 one like a lot of the slim laptops use.

MS never released an official shell for off the shelf drives in the 360 days, they might never do it here either. They obviously prefer the proprietary method of expansion storage.

At any rate, $40 is $40, it is nice to see a price cut.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

ice-cream.gif

Topher

Gold Member
@ NeonGhost NeonGhost , I believe the console itself has a fully replaceable NVMe drive in it now, just a short 2230 one like a lot of the slim laptops use.

The replacement NVMe has to be a very specific model of Western Digital 2230 that is not sold to the public. It is an OEM part that is also used in some Surface tablets as well. You can find refurbs and used ones on ebay. Here is a link one:

Between that and the casing, you are at $130. So $50 savings for a DIY solution.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Came in here thinking Xbox finally got a cheap SSD expansion card and found out the card cost almost as much as a PS5.

Ansphn

Which PS5 SKU is $180 ?
Whoops my bad. That link didnt work so I googled it and it took me to the 2tb at $359. I seen your message and checked again and this was the 1tb. It's still expensive but I was wrong.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Does anybody posting "but the PS5 storage is cheaper!" Get sick of having to do so?

There's absolutely nobody on this forum that doesn't know, mainly because it's been posted whenever possible, since the expansion cards were revealed a few years ago.

You can have a day off, treat yourself.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Does anybody posting "but the PS5 storage is cheaper!" Get sick of having to do so?

There's absolutely nobody on this forum that doesn't know, mainly because it's been posted whenever possible, since the expansion cards were revealed a few years ago.

Come on, be reasonable, it's not like they have anything else to do. Plus they are right.
I wasn't a big fan of the ps5 solution but ms stayed with overpriced storage for way too long, they suck here and hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

FingerBang

Hell, the PS2 could accept off the shelf IDE HDDs.

The Vita is the odd man out with proprietary bullshit.
Right, I completely forgot about it. You could use the chunky 3.5" ones as well. But arguably, it's different since you needed extra hardware, and it wasn't built into the system.

PSP as well had their proprietary card; the only difference is that Memory Sticks were not created only for that device and for that reason they could be had for cheaper. Digital games were also way less important.

YCoCg

the only difference is that Memory Sticks were not created only for that device and for that reason they could be had for cheaper.
Which was extremely ironic as playing games from the memory stick had better streaming performance, reduced loading times, longer battery life, etc.

Hello.

Can i interest you in an NVME?

100000001006533314_10209.jpg

cars salesman GIF by South Park

:p

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The replacement NVMe has to be a very specific model of Western Digital 2230 that is not sold to the public. It is an OEM part that is also used in some Surface tablets as well. You can find refurbs and used ones on ebay. Here is a link one:

Between that and the casing, you are at $130. So $50 savings for a DIY solution.
I don't know about the xbox but I have replaced several hard drives in surface devices using these options from amazon (NOT WD brands) and these also work on steamdeck:
Saberent 2230

This is a fantastic deal btw.... (currently $159 on amazon)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know about the xbox but I have replaced several hard drives in surface devices using these options from amazon (NOT WD brands) and these also work on steamdeck:
Saberent 2230

This is a fantastic deal btw.... (currently $159 on amazon)

I’ve been eyeing one of those for my Steam Deck. Sucks those won't work in Xbox. I'm guessing there is something in the controller for the WD drives that XSX is looking for.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I’ve been eyeing one of those for my Steam Deck. Sucks those won't work in Xbox. I'm guessing there is something in the controller for the WD drives that XSX is looking for.
I have plopped two of these into steam decks here...HIGHLY recommend. Cheap (*considering previous prices for these things) and the install is a breeze.

Last edited:
don’t matter how companies make this proprietary storage is always gonna cost a lot more then open standard, can greedy ms just give an adapter so we can our own storage plz.

Killer8

Already picked up a 2tb Seagate last year at something like 45% discount. Was fairly similar to any other Nvme at that price point, so well worth it.

Pimpbaa

I was going to bite the bullet and buy a 1TB Seagate expansion card, but I’m definitely going to wait to see how this plays out (as in I hope other more cheaper options appear).

ByWatterson

And here my PS5's Samsung is going on a year and half at about half the price.

Paying $180 for 1TB in 2023 is like getting paying for toilet paper in 2020.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
don’t matter how companies make this proprietary storage is always gonna cost a lot more then open standard, can greedy ms just give an adapter so we can our own storage plz.
Greedy MS! Thanks to those of us who have used GP conversion loophole, the £500 a year I've saved that I normally spent on games has paid for my SX, SS and PS5. Yes I also got a free Elite 2 controller and free games thanks to Rewards. More than enough to offset the price of the expansion cards.

Btw anyone in the UK can get a 1TB expansion card from CEX with a 2 year warranty for £150.

Top Bottom