• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD_Black Xbox 1tb Expansion Card showing up on Best Buy

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm so lucky I got my 2tb off amazon for 230...but they honored the fuck up...just had to wait like 3 weeks lol

Allandor

Nice to see more variants but damn that price, I can get a 2TB for that price and still have change for a pepsi.
Yeah, the price is .. still to expensive but at least it goes into the right direction.
This does hopefully also mean that now also other companies can enter that market.

You know I've had both consoles since near launch, never expanded either storage and I've not ran into any issues yet.
Cool for you. Doesn't change the fact that Sonys solution is way cheaper.
NQeudm8.gif

Kilau

I thought something might be up with how the seagate one has had an unofficial price cut and isn’t sold directly from the Microsoft store anymore.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well I love WD's drive, but I am unsure if this much. But still good to see some other brands.

Hopefully this leads to some better pricing some time soon, obviously unlikely to ever match non-proprietary but being less than 2-3x as expensive would be a start.

LostDonkey

How? Genuine question, especially if you have Game Pass, I'm lucky that just normal external drives are fine for Xbox/360/One/Emulation because for anything X|S branded I'm constantly moving shit around like it's a hot potato.
I have GP ultimate.

I guess I'm just one of the few who deleted as soon as finished with a game. The only permanent install I have is FH5.

DaGwaphics

Still a little too high and looks to still be using an ultra short drive. They need to make a physically larger version that lets the manufacturers make use of the cheaper 2280 drives. It's a start I guess, maybe they are loosening the licensing deals a bit.

Mr Moose

Weird, doesn't say the speed and says USB-C. Price is still shit but it's better than the other one, you can get a 2TB SSD for that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good. More vendors, more pricing options. Get Crucial on-board and start offering even more competitively priced options.

Last edited:

Forsythia

Pfft, still too fucking expensive. Yeah, I like the ease of use, but not for these prices. I'd rather have the PS5 solution.

BlackTron

You know I've had both consoles since near launch, never expanded either storage and I've not ran into any issues yet.

When you have more devices you need less storage consolidated on one device. One might say you got a 1TB expansion card for multiplatform games called Series X that is freeing up your PS.

sinnergy

The one thing they don't need with gamepass though is people worrying about storage and having expansion be so expensive works against them.
The demographic is getting older and older , I think they are fine , enough money in this demographic.

Banned
The exclusivity deal with Seagate seems to have expired. I wonder who else can manufacture these cards, or will it be anyone?

I assume it will be anyone.
I wonder if they can make them as fast as they want or if they have to stick to the current standard.

it would be interesting if they introduced super fast versions of this, and what effects it would have to loading times.

Topher

Gold Member
Way past due, but definitely welcome to see some competition. It is one thing to make the storage solution proprietary but compounding the problem by making it exclusive to one manufacturer wasn't doing Xbox customers any favors.

FingerBang

I remember people criticizing Sony for not launching the SSD support out of the gate and for the PS5's limited storage. Yet, everybody with the minimum level of intelligence would know this would happen. And here we are, where you can buy double the space for your PS5 for around the same price.

But hey, what's important is that they have an excellent solution from day one, am I right?

Fuck proprietary BS, no matter who's the manufacturer

Last edited:

Cohetedor

Needs to come way down in price. I got my 2tb for my PS5 for $149 with heatsink, competition is a good thing. I like having all my games ready to go, currently have 26 installed between console storage and the nvme, and 82 PS4 games on a 4tb external.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They need more budget orientated options made by companies like Kingston. These things are still nowhere near as good as the value you can get for the PS5
They can’t refuse to introduce budget options as the generation still has 4-5 years left in it and PS5 options will continue to tumble in price over that time period.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Don't expect price drop, look at prices of SDD format 2230 and you can see, that these cards are not overpriced from that PoV. But I would still appreciate possibility of some standard 2280 option.

But again, based on some article few months ago, MS is loosing 200USD per XSX, so I doubt that some "open" options happens.

Ozriel

M$FT
I remember people criticizing Sony for not launching the SSD support out of the gate and for the PS5's limited storage. Yet, everybody with the minimum level of intelligence would know this would happen. And here we are, where you can buy double the space for your PS5 for around the same price.

Not having the software support for SSD expansion at launch is separate from their choice of standard storage medium.

Don't expect price drop, look at prices of SDD format 2230 and you can see, that these cards are not overpriced from that PoV. But I would still appreciate possibility of some standard 2280 option.

But again, based on some article few months ago, MS is loosing 200USD per XSX, so I doubt that some "open" options happens.

1TB 2230 SSDs from Sabrent are like $149.

I don’t believe it was ever stated they were losing $200 on XSX (doesn’t seem credible), but even if that were the case, I’m not sure how that impacts any open options or pivot to 2280s.

Top Bottom