• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legion |OT| To London, for an Ubi Murray

Well, I purchased this game and No Man's Sky during that holiday sale. I'm going through No Man's Sky but when in done ill be hopping into this. It's funny reading the takes from both extremes though. To be honest I don't take gaming seriously at all, I dont demand perfection in everything I play. I am pretty adaptable to different games and their faults or quirks and manage to squeeze some entertainment out of them so I'm not too concerned about this game.

As with most open world ubisoft games, they are like fast food. Can just shut off and be entertained. Watch Dogs 1 was half decent, 2 was a bit better despite the inconsistency in tone. I'm interested i seeing where Ubisoft took this one.

Bluecondor

You are overselling it. There is no real simulation, unless you count randomized text in that. The melee is ok but too on-rails and very limited, the overall handling of the character is very heavy and cumbersome and the shooting is pretty weak overall. That's to not even get into the vehicle handling which is the worst that's ever been done in a video game that has a budget of more than 3 cheeseburgers, where you have essentially a train on wheel rather than actual cars with individualised steering and handling. Should I go on? What's the point. I liked the game, and if you feel it's great, then good for you, but you're not gonna convince me you're not trolling when you say this is a 10/10, and frankly it's so absurd I cba to even argue it any further than I feel like arguing about the blueness of the sky.

You are being way too critical of the simulation. "Randomized text"?

In this video from Game Maker's Toolkit, the narrator explains the depth of the simulation behind Watch Dogs Legion and how the demographics of the NPCs we encounter in various neighborhoods is actually derived from a complex data set on London's real world population and various demographics of the actual London neighborhoods represented in the game:

As the narrator admits though, the developers did not structure the gameplay to take advantage of the simulation, as it is pretty much possible to complete the game with any type of character you have.

The simulation of the NPCs who live in the various neighborhoods is innovative. Hopefully we will see someone expand on this with something that really takes advantage of the realistic NPCs that fit with real world neighborhoods/locations. This said, I have put about 15 hours into Watch Dogs this past week, and I am really enjoying it. Playing in an open world of NPCs whose individual backgrounds are based on real world data is really immersive.

Magog.

Banned
You are being way too critical of the simulation. "Randomized text"?

In this video from Game Maker's Toolkit, the narrator explains the depth of the simulation behind Watch Dogs Legion and how the demographics of the NPCs we encounter in various neighborhoods is actually derived from a complex data set on London's real world population and various demographics of the actual London neighborhoods represented in the game:

As the narrator admits though, the developers did not structure the gameplay to take advantage of the simulation, as it is pretty much possible to complete the game with any type of character you have.

The simulation of the NPCs who live in the various neighborhoods is innovative. Hopefully we will see someone expand on this with something that really takes advantage of the realistic NPCs that fit with real world neighborhoods/locations. This said, I have put about 15 hours into Watch Dogs this past week, and I am really enjoying it. Playing in an open world of NPCs whose individual backgrounds are based on real world data is really immersive.

I think they made the right choice there. If they forced you into a certain role to complete sections of the game it would feel very restrictive. In the next Watch Dogs sure I would like them to expand on the skills /tools available but I'm glad choosing your character was less about forced gameplay decisions and more about variety and style.

aries_71

I was disappointed with Legion. Still, after playing cp2077, I think Legion is the better game for a cyberpunk genre fix.

cormack12

Gold Member
Been trying to get into this, got to be honest not really a fan of the changes. Really makes WD2 look tame by comparison.

Recruit anyone - who is ugly af and has an undercut

I'm not saying people have to be falling out of L.A. but they are all so uninspired and awful design. London's diverse we get it. Diverse doesn't mean uglify everyone, and I don't buy 'it's the setting' for one minute. People still have to work.

I think limiting gadgets to 1 is daft. 2 would be better. I think the stealth has gone backwards from WD2 as well. One minute you go for a takedown, then the prompt disappears and you are in the middle of a fistfight. Feels really janky at times.

London is kind of good, but the graphics are awful on the PS5, everything looks furry.

cormack12

Gold Member
Advanced a little more. I notice most of the tech points are in restricted zones. Do I end up going there anyway? I picked one up randomly earlier but then I got sent there a few missions later - wanna avoid doing this throughout the game.

TVexperto

I seriously dont understand how Valhalla has a 30fps and 60fps mode and Legion only has a 30fps mode on NEXT GEN consoles.

mhirano

This game is now on Free Weekend on PC and consoles.
I'm trying to play the PC version but it crashes to desktop every 5-10 minutes. So frustrating, Bugsoft...

Top Bottom