• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasp enslaved a cockroach to insert an egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
This parasitic marvel enslaves cockroaches by stinging their brains in ridiculously precise spots and injecting mind-controlling venom. The wasp then leads its zombified roach to a chamber, where it lays a single egg on its perfectly relaxed host and seals it inside with pebbles. Here the larva bores into the cockroach and feeds off its organs before killing it and emerging from its corpse into the light of day.

This is nature’s own Orkin Man — if the Orkin Man was psychologically imbalanced and just a little too excited about his job, and didn’t have all the wings and stuff. But just think of the evolution involved here. The jewel wasp has over millions of years not only developed a mind-control drug, but an astonishingly methodical brand of brain surgery to deliver it.

http://www.wired.com/2014/02/absurd-creature-of-the-week-jewel-wasp/

Hatching-2-660x495.jpg

Saw this interesting article in my FB.

I hate roaches.
I hate bugs
Why God create the bugz?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is there video of this in action?

It blows my mind that the wasp can be so accurate. Especially since I'm assuming the roach isn't standing still for all of this.

Teremap

Banned
Funny to see all the people sympathetic to a bloody cockroach.

FYI those things barely even have a nervous system to speak of. They don't feel a damn thing.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah these mind control wasps are cool, there's also a caterpillar that cloak's it's larvae with ant larvae smell, and a wasp use this to raise it's young inside of the larvae.

http://youtu.be/SLvuevf__Ok

Pimp my larvae.jpg

It's sort of like mind control. Wasp uses AOE spell, mass confusion. Ants attack each other, plants egg inside of the cloaked moth larvae and mission complete. Ant hack, hidden in plain sight.

longdi

Banned
I think in some other galaxy there are insects the size of a puppy where they enslaved the mammal population there to lay eggs. We should fear if somehow their eggs got mixed into some meteor and crash landed on our Earth.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I hate cockroaches. Vilest creatures on Earth.

On the other hand, I also hate wasps. I'm not phobic, but I bristle every time one hovers around me. Horrible pests. And this... this is just pure evil. Yikes.

Never thought I'd say this, but I think I'm gonna side with the cockroach. Seriously, that's nightmare fuel.

Jorav

Gold Member
There are plenty of parasitic wasps out there. They lay their eggs in everything from caterpillars and beetles to even spiders.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm just gonna leave this here.

venom is so potent the tarantula basically vomits its own venom because it hurts so much

Decided to google the wasp..

The female tarantula hawk captures, stings, and paralyzes the spider, then either drags her prey back into her own burrow or transports it to a specially prepared nest, where a single egg is laid on the spider’s abdomen, and the entrance is covered. When the wasp larva hatches, it creates a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then enters and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep the spider alive. After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult, and emerges from the spider's abdomen to continue the life cycle.

Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom