• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Washington Post - Xbox Game Pass makes a strong case for Microsoft’s game subscription service

CyberPanda

Banned
Xbox Game Pass makes a strong case for Microsoft’s game subscription service

Earlier this summer, one of my friends on Xbox Live started playing games that surprised me. My friend, who normally leaned toward AAA games, began branching out and playing lesser-known RPGs like the Banner Saga and artful platformers like Ori and The Blind Forest. I chalked this up to anomalous behavior until he told me he had been downloading games off Xbox Game Pass. Over the past month, I’ve had the chance to browse the offerings on Game Pass, and the breadth of games impressed me.

Game Pass offers a number of my favorite games from recent years, such as indie masterpieces What Remains of Edith Finch and Outer Wilds, cult classics such as Alien: Isolation, and some of the best shooters on the market, like Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and Gears 5. (Speaking of Gears 5, Microsoft has promised that all games made by the company’s first-party studios will be available on the service at launch.) Even as someone who plays an inordinate amount of games for work, I’ve found gems that I hadn’t gotten around to, such as Untitled Goose Game and Wandersong.

Such discovery is fairly typical for new Game Pass users, according to Ben Decker, the head of gaming services marketing at Microsoft.
“After an [average] Xbox owner joins Game Pass, they play 40 percent more games and they play 30 percent more genres,” Decker said. “And the number of games they’re playing goes up not just inside the Game Pass catalogue.”

Such are the benefits to the consumer — more titles right at your fingertips and no added cost for experimentation. In an era of digital subscriptions, it’s clear that quite a lot of people are content with licensing entertainment products rather than owning them outright.

Now that philosophy is pushing into gaming, with both Game Pass, Microsoft’s Netflix-like subscription service; and the iOS-based Apple Arcade. For a nominal recurring fee, users can access a wide menu of titles.

Based on early returns of both services, such a dynamic is beneficial for both users and game publishers, with the subscription fees reducing consumer costs to trying a new game since they don’t need to shell out $60 for a title they may or may not like. The service could be of particular benefit to smaller, independent developers. Decker said some smaller games from independent developers have seen their “user base go up by as much as 30 times.”

Even for games that already have huge fan bases, Game Pass has been a boon, Decker noted.

“When we put the Minecraft: Xbox One Bedrock Edition in, the player base for Minecraft went up by 20 percent,” Decker said.

The question there will be whether AAA publishers of non-Xbox exclusive games will be willing to introduce their titles to the service on launch day. As of now, it seems like there is potential for that, as Microsoft was able to persuade developers of big games such as Devil May Cry V, Outer Worlds and Metro: Exodus to introduce them into Game Pass while they were still hot from the presses.

Decker said one of the first concerns Microsoft had to address when approaching potential partners was to reassure them that not any and everything would be put up on the service and that their titles wouldn’t get overlooked or lost in the pile.

“We keep the catalogue highly curated so that we can drive discovery, so our partners are seeing real uplift,” Decker said.

The service also seems to be fostering growth for live streams as well, something of particular interest to Microsoft given its investment in its Mixer streaming platform. Subscribers to Game Pass Ultimate, which allows players to access the Game Pass catalogue whether playing on console or PC, are “seven times more likely to stream gameplay than a standard Xbox user,” Decker said.

He attributes such positive metrics to the fact that Game Pass is designed to provide a frictionless experience, reducing barriers for consumers. With Game Pass, it costs nothing to try a game for the first time. If you don’t like it, you just don’t play it anymore.

The ease-of-access philosophy has manifested elsewhere as well. The Game Pass catalogue has been designed to be easy to navigate. There are tabs that group games by genre and let consumers know what’s new and what’s leaving the catalogue. Moreover, consumers can download a Game Pass app for Android and iOS devices that lets them browse the catalogue and initiate downloads while out and about.

So, what’s the future hold for Game Pass? For starters, it will be coming to Microsoft’s next-generation console.
“We’re committed to Game Pass being available on the next gen,” Decker said. “It’s not an experiment on the current generation of consoles. This is a service that our members can count on being on whatever products we introduce in the future.”

Last edited:
Make sure to give them your affiliate link and enter DynamiteCop at checkout
Well aren't you clever

5c2.jpg

pr0cs

If they're more aggressive with marketing before the launch I can see it having an impact on sales.
When you can buy the high end box and subscribe to a significant instant library that makes the initial cost less painful.
Esp if Microsoft has some big heavy hitters for launch, seriesX with Halo, Forza and 2-3 unannounced titles there waiting instantly on gamepass should be attractive.

meirl

Banned
But does the Xbox Gamepass subscription offer bring the kind of value Xbox customers have come to expect?

Kagey K

Banned
If they're more aggressive with marketing before the launch I can see it having an impact on sales.
When you can buy the high end box and subscribe to a significant instant library that makes the initial cost less painful.
Esp if Microsoft has some big heavy hitters for launch, seriesX with Halo, Forza and 2-3 unannounced titles there waiting instantly on gamepass should be attractive.
The idea you can walk out of the store with just the console and have a pile of games waiting for you when you get home at launch is crazy. (Assuming they still throw in a free trial with the series X) It’s always been go buy the console and then pony up for a game or 2 on top of the console price.

A miracle happened over Christmas for me, thanks to Game Pass. You see, when I was only 9, I tripped over a PS1 controller cable and fell and broke my leg. Doctors said I would never walk again, and now I'm confined to a wheelchair still and I'm almost 40. I'm unemployed, but I managed to meet my wife through an outreach programme that treats gamers with PTSD from the console wars. She usually spends most nights next door playing on our neighbours Wii. I can hear them and I must say it sounds like those games are hard, what with all the grunting and groaning. I just want her to be happy. So usually I spend most days building my Gamer Score and scoffing Doritos and Mountain Dew. This Christmas she bought me a 1 Euro trial subscription to Game Pass, but I had my hesitations. I've always been a disc man, I like to take ownership, you know? But now I have so many discs on the floor I can't move around without rolling over them and cracking them. Plus they remind me of the PS1 days and I shudder. My wife could see the trauma and she told me that the cure could be going digital, you know, kill the demon inside and show Sony what for. Oh boy was she right. I downloaded a Game Pass game on Christmas day, Gears 5, and as I sat and watched the percentage bar fill up, it was like seeing angels blow blessings into my Xbox and my body. I could feel the strength filling my legs, 10%, 20%, 30%, and when it said 'ready to play' I heard The Lord Above, or it could have been Phil Spencer, whisper 'ready to walk'. I jumped out of my Sony manufacturered wheelchair and screamed 'SCORE'. That was last week. My wife hasn't been to the neighbour's all week because she loves my revitalized Gamertag wink wink, and I've been running around tidying up all the DRM shattered plastic all over the floor. Needless to say I signed up for a lifetime subscription. Thank you Game Pass for saving my life and my marriage.

Last edited:
The idea you can walk out of the store with just the console and have a pile of games waiting for you when you get home at launch is crazy. (Assuming they still throw in a free trial with the series X) It’s always been go buy the console and then pony up for a game or 2 on top of the console price.
Shit for me it's generally been the console and 5 or 6 games.

If this next-gen were a traditional one for Microsoft I'd be walking out the door spending like $946, with GamePass I can walk out at $550 and have stuff to play.

Kagey K

Banned
A miracle happened over Christmas for me, thanks to Game Pass. You see, when I was only 9, I tripped over a PS1 controller cable and fell and broke my leg. Doctors said I would never walk again, and now I'm confined to a wheelchair still and I'm almost 40. I'm unemployed, but I managed to meet my wife through an outreach programme that treats gamers with PTSD from the console wars. She usually spends most nights next door playing on our neighbours Wii. I can hear them and I must say it sounds like those games are hard, what with all the grunting and groaning. I just want her to be happy. So usually I spend most days building my Gamer Score and scoffing Doritos and Mountain Dew. This Christmas she bought me a 1 Euro trial subscription to Game Pass, but I had my hesitations. I've always been a disc man, I like to take ownership, you know? But now I have so many discs on the floor I can't move around without rolling over them and cracking them. Plus they remind me of the PS1 days and I shudder. My wife could see the trauma and she told me that the cure could be going digital, you know, kill the demon inside and show Sony what for. Oh boy was she right. I downloaded a Game Pass game on Christmas day, Gears 5, and as I sat and watched the percentage bar fill up, it was like seeing angels blow blessings into my Xbox and my body. I could feel the strength filling my legs, 10%, 20%, 30%, and when it said 'ready to play' I heard The Lord Above, or it could have been Phil Spencer, whisper 'ready to walk'. I jumped out of my Sony manufacturered wheelchair and screamed 'SCORE'. That was last week. My wife hasn't been to the neighbour's all week because she loves my revitalized Gamertag wink wink, and I've been running around tidying up all the DRM shattered plastic all over the floor. Needless to say I signed up for a lifetime subscription. Thank you Game Pass for saving my life and my marriage.
See that is the power of Gamepass right there. If you get some family members to sign up maybe you can mend some old wounds with them as well. If enough people do it and play together world peace might be possible in the next decade. The revolution starts one person at a time.

The only question I have in the story is why does going digital show Sony the what for and when did they start making wheelchairs?

Kagey K

Banned
Actually more than anyone expected🤷🏻‍♂️
I know I turned my nose away from it when it first came out, because everything they offered on it, I already owned. I thought it was great for new customers but did the hardcore a disservice, they have certainly turned it around since then and now it’s just one of my monthly bills.

I couldn’t even start to estimate what it has saved me over time (even if I did spend that same money on other games)

See that is the power of Gamepass right there. If you get some family members to sign up maybe you can mend some old wounds with them as well. If enough people do it and play together world peace might be possible in the next decade. The revolution starts one person at a time.

The only question I have in the story is why does going digital show Sony the what for and when did they start making wheelchairs?

I like your faith. Sony don't have a Game Pass service, so that's what's for. And I can share pics of my old wheelchair, it's got Sony written on the back.

Kagey K

Banned
Because Curry is my broski and we legit have a thread on gamepass like every few days.
WE ALL KNOW IT'S A GOOD DEAL
1ANYx0d.png
People are just reposting the news or interviews they find. Tell all the outlets to stop making reports and stories about Game Pass and then people will stop posting new threads.

Simple right?😉

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I know I turned my nose away from it when it first came out, because everything they offered on it, I already owned. I thought it was great for new customers but did the hardcore a disservice, they have certainly turned it around since then and now it’s just one of my monthly bills.

I couldn’t even start to estimate what it has saved me over time (even if I did spend that same money on other games)
My Ultimate Game Pass and Gold expires in 2021. I like owning my games but the game pass got to be the best service out there. Surprising you with new games always and not just the old ones + exclusives are always included but they never leave the library

brap

Banned
People are just reposting the news or interviews they find. Tell all the outlets to stop making reports and stories about Game Pass and then people will stop posting new threads.

Simple right?😉
Alright I got Philly S on the line. Gonna tell him to stop paying all these guys to write about game pass. :messenger_relieved:

Kagey K

Banned
My Ultimate Game Pass and Gold expires in 2021. I like owning my games but the game pass got to be the best service out there. Surprising you with new games always and not just the old ones + exclusives are always included but they never leave the library
Mine expires in May but I have 123000 rewards points saved up to try to offset it.

I loaded my daughter up with gold and then did the upgrade after I learned about the deal. They are good for a while yet, same with my nephew.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Game Pass is awesome, nothing to argue about it, though it should be clear now that this is just paving the way to the digital future they wanted to force on us before the beginning of the generation. All these big mainstream mediums praising it just confirms that.

Kagey K

Banned
Game Pass is awesome, nothing to argue about it, though it should be clear now that this is just paving the way to the digital future they wanted to force on us before the beginning of the generation. All these big mainstream mediums praising it just confirms that.
I’m not afraid of the digital future and have only grown more comfortable with it this gen. The physical only peeps are the “boomers” of gaming now.

makaveli60

Good for you. Save your post and read it when the servers will be down, your internet will be down, you say or do something wrong and your account wil be banned, the game removed for some license problem etc. I could go on forever. But at least you are a progressive.

Kagey K

Banned
Good for you. Save your post and read it when the servers will be down, your internet will be down, you say or do something wrong and your account wil be banned, the game removed for some license problem etc. I could go on forever. But at least you are a progressive.
I don’t do shit to get banned, I was 2 weeks between service providers and was still able to play, and now with your disc if the download disappears, your disc is more uselsess.

Most games don’t even have the full game on them anymore. So even if I avoid A and B, C happens to both of us.

Yay.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I don’t do shit to get banned, I was 2 weeks between service providers and was still able to play, and now with your disc if the download disappears, your disc is more uselsess.

Most games don’t even have the full game on them anymore. So even if I avoid A and B, C happens to both of us.

Yay.
How naive. Good luck.

Heinrich

Banned

Even if you are banned, you can still play everything of course. Also, everything you bought, you can play offline of course.

And even if, games nowadays require an day 1 patch anyways.

also, the Games are not the Problem, the ISPs in the US are the Problem. They should invest more and get rid off the data cap.

your Argument is invalid anyways, innovation shouldn’t be stopped because of old fashioned way of thinking.

If we would use your way of thinking, we would still use HORSES for transportation and not cars. Think about it: by your logic:

what if there are no streets anymore or the streets are broken?
What if the car manufacturer goes bankrupt and you can’t get any spare parts and your car gets broken?
we should not use cars! We should use horses! (By your logic.)

anyway, digital games are actually more safe and more preservative in the Long Term. Blu-Rays will get broken over time. It will and you can’t do anything about it.

with Xbox I can just download it multiple times and make hundreds of backups (storage is going to be cheaper and cheaper) and have backups everywhere. If a HDDs fails? No problem.
And I can ALWAYS those games, just stay offline, even if MS goes bankrupt.
You can even save DLC and Updates/patches etc. On HDD. You can’t do this with blu rays

Mattyp

Gold Member
Oof that’s a low blow, besides all that the console wars are over. MS already packed it in.

I don’t get how there can be astroturfers at the same time as a surrender, but I’m sure somebody will explain it to me.

Danielsm is capable of crunching the numbers far better then the crack accountant team at MS so we'll get the explanation soon.

I have heard MS look after their astroturfer employment for a brand they'll be killing off. There might not even be a nextbox.. We'll there definitely won't be one after the SeX that's when they go multiplat with gamepass as service only gaming. But you told me multiple times they don't make any money from gamepass and never will? .... WHY ARE YOU STILL ASTROTURFING GAMEPASS ITS A DEAD SERVICE.

I'm honestly confused at what part of the cycle we've been around 6 times already we're back at now.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Even if you are banned, you can still play everything of course. Also, everything you bought, you can play offline of course.

And even if, games nowadays require an day 1 patch anyways.

also, the Games are not the Problem, the ISPs in the US are the Problem. They should invest more and get rid off the data cap.

your Argument is invalid anyways, innovation shouldn’t be stopped because of old fashioned way of thinking.

If we would use your way of thinking, we would still use HORSES for transportation and not cars. Think about it: by your logic:

what if there are no streets anymore or the streets are broken?
What if the car manufacturer goes bankrupt and you can’t get any spare parts and your car gets broken?
we should not use cars! We should use horses! (By your logic.)

anyway, digital games are actually more safe and more preservative in the Long Term. Blu-Rays will get broken over time. It will and you can’t do anything about it.

with Xbox I can just download it multiple times and make hundreds of backups (storage is going to be cheaper and cheaper) and have backups everywhere. If a HDDs fails? No problem.
And I can ALWAYS those games, just stay offline, even if MS goes bankrupt.
You can even save DLC and Updates/patches etc. On HDD. You can’t do this with blu rays
I'm not sure if you are serious with this post or just joking. If you are serious then I won't even try to correct you, I have better things to spend my energy on.

Heinrich

Banned
I'm not sure if you are serious with this post or just joking. If you are serious then I won't even try to correct you, I have better things to spend my energy on.

a/k/a I don’t have any valid arguments, that’s why I have to insult the person.

Shin

Banned
So what is GamePass?
Live/PS+ you get IDK many games, 2? per month - mostly shitty, but required in this time and age to play online on consoles.
What does GamePass bring to the table and how much does it cost (can look it up, but that wouldn't make for a nice discussion :).

Gamepass is a foot in the door.

As soon as streaming is viable, your Xbox will just be a 'Sky' box or Tivo. Everything will be on the cloud and streamed.

Antwix

FYI, even today (although you need a VPN), you can lock in 3 years of GamePass ultimate for about $100

Great Hair

Banned
MICROSOFTO´s strategy in action.
"GAMEPASSO isu gud! Believo in usu!"
(warning: if you have a weak penis and sensitive mind, dont watch the gif ... or watch it from far, far .. .from a different galaxy)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can't believe that I won't have to buy any games with Series X. It's absolutely insane.

I suspect it'll quickly become apparent that the sort of deal that devs and publishers are willing to make at the end of a gen and those that they'll want at the start of a new one are two very different things.

Acquisition costs will not be constant, and the more players start offering similar services the more they will increase with exclusivity becoming part of the value proposition. MS obviously expects this, which is why they are expanding their first-party to compensate for the inevitable shortfall.

Top Bottom