• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s PC Game Pass arrives on Nvidia’s GeForce Now service this week

Draugoth

Gold Member

Nvidia is starting to roll out access to PC Game Pass and Microsoft Store titles on its GeForce Now streaming service this week. PC Game Pass subscribers will be able to start streaming titles through GeForce Now on August 24th, including first-party Microsoft games like Deathloop and Grounded as well as third-party titles like No Man’s Sky and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

While PC Game Pass and Microsoft Store games will be available on GeForce Now, not all of them will be available to stream immediately on Nvidia’s service. Nvidia has done the work to integrate the Microsoft Store into GeForce Now, but it still needs to onboard all the games that are available on a PC Game Pass subscription.

That means PC Game Pass subscribers and anyone who has purchased a Microsoft Store game might need to wait a little while yet for their entire library to be available on GeForce Now

Last edited:

Vox Machina

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa. Where did this come from? Was this part of the deal with Nvidia related to the MSFT/ATVI merger?

I didn't realize the entire PC Game Pass catalog was coming to GCloud. I thought it was only Xbox first party games. Thats pretty sick.

Edit: wait, and I can stream them using GCloud instead of xCloud? Or would I need an active GCloud subscription?

Last edited:

acm2000

Whoa whoa whoa. Where did this come from? Was this part of the deal with Nvidia related to the MSFT/ATVI merger?

I didn't realize the entire PC Game Pass catalog was coming to GCloud. I thought it was only Xbox first party games. Thats pretty sick.

Edit: wait, and I can stream them using GCloud instead of xCloud? Or would I need an active GCloud subscription?
gcloud sub too obv, but there is always the free tier

Vox Machina

Banned
gcloud sub too obv, but there is always the free tier

Thanks, that's what I figured. I have Game Pass Ultimate now but I don't really want to stream the console version of games so what I might do is bump it down to PC Game Pass and then pay for GeForce Cloud if I need to stream something in the future so I can stream the PC versions. Hopefully, since the authentication layer is all through your MSFT account it's all cross-save/cross-progression with the native PC Game Pass installs.

Topher

Gold Member
only if you already own the games on steam/epic

Yep. Gives you access to the games you already own (if on the GFN service) plus PC GP games as well. Difference in cost is about $16 a year for the lower tier paid GFN subscription.

Vox Machina

Banned
That's pretty cool. PC Game Pass + GFN is a better deal than Game Pass Ultimate, imo, considering the larger library of games.

And GFN streams the PC versions with better hardware than an XSX. Presumably giving a lower latency streaming experience (I haven't used GFN or xCloud so I can't speak from experience here).

Geez this is perfect timing for me. GFNOW >>> every other streaming service I've tried so far. Games on GFNOW basically run like native games on my end. Starfield here I come!!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
And GFN streams the PC versions with better hardware than an XSX. Presumably giving a lower latency streaming experience (I haven't used GFN or xCloud so I can't speak from experience here).

I've tried just about all of the services except for Luna. GFN is top tier from my experience.

skit_data

This is pretty big tbh, Geforce Now is the only streaming service I couldn't tell apart from the game running native.
Well, the game in question was Valheim and no twitch shooter. Maybe not the best example but the latency was good and the IQ was indistinguishable.

FingerBang

This is huge news. Geforce Now is really excellent and being able to play Game Pass games makes it the real Netflix for Games (although a very expensive one)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Been wanting to try it out. What's the best way to use GeForce Now on a TV with controller?

Noxxera

Damn I must be dead. Fr fr. Imagine Starfield 4k 60fps HDR flawlessly on PC. Lets hope Starfield is there day 1. It's possible.

Noxxera

This is pretty big tbh, Geforce Now is the only streaming service I couldn't tell apart from the game running native.
Well, the game in question was Valheim and no twitch shooter. Maybe not the best example but the latency was good and the IQ was indistinguishable.
Yeah GFN is no joke, I can if you play games natively and boot them up in GFN tell a slight, slight difference in latency, atleast in fortnite for me which I noticed. Of course setting GFN streaming to 1080p 240fps I think eliminates that difference for me, but I like playing with the highest resolution and refresh rate 120hz possible for me.

Noxxera

The way I see it you can stream some games on GFN that's available on PC Game Pass. Not every game yet, its being rolled out slowly it seems.

And the way I see it you're gonna need both subscriptions for best experience, PC Game Pass sub and GFN sub.

Vox Machina

Banned
The way I see it you can stream some games on GFN that's available on PC Game Pass. Not every game yet, its being rolled out slowly it seems.

And the way I see it you're gonna need both subscriptions for best experience, PC Game Pass sub and GFN sub.

Yeah, right now I have Game Pass Ultimate but realistically I don't use my Series X much at all (just not a console gamer anymore) and I'd prefer to stream PC versions of games if at all possible, so once the full PC Game Pass catalog (or at least all of the Xbox/Bethesda/[ActiBlizz, soon] content) comes to GFN I'll probably switch to PC Game Pass + GFN Priority/Ultimate.

Noxxera

Yeah, right now I have Game Pass Ultimate but realistically I don't use my Series X much at all (just not a console gamer anymore) and I'd prefer to stream PC versions of games if at all possible, so once the full PC Game Pass catalog (or at least all of the Xbox/Bethesda/[ActiBlizz, soon] content) comes to GFN I'll probably switch to PC Game Pass + GFN Priority/Ultimate.

Yeah I will prolly, likely buy GFN Ultimate sub this weekend and the PC gamepass sub (or possibly Ultimate there too just this month) but yeah it's not gonna be cheap. We'll see. But ideally for me I'll buy PC Game Pass sub and GFN Ultimate sub. That's gonna be like 30 bucks I think but worth it for me I guess.

But yeah I'll prolly buck up that once in a while, not every month since I'm pretty poor haha

Last edited:

Noxxera

So I could actually get 60fps Starfield in the living room now without having a living room PC?
Well if you replace it with Shield, you gonna need a PC to push the streaming through (unless your tv in question have a good GFN app)

Fredrik

Well if you replace it with Shield, you gonna need a PC to push the streaming through (unless your tv in question have a good GFN app)
Yeah I have a Shield Pro, used to play Control that way before I had a raytracing capable PC, worked well enough, and 60fps.

This is huge tbh. Unless there is some other complication we should be able to play Starfield with PC Ultra visuals at 60fps in the living room this way. Can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’ll try it once it’s available and will report back. Could be a good solution for those without a PC or Xbox. The latency is not too bad at all. There used to be queues to start popular releases though, Cyberpunk was a struggle at launch for me.

Last edited:

M.W.

I tried the GFN $20 tier earlier this year, it worked really well. Was playing Cyberpunk in "4K" at 100+ FPS. The only thing that sucks is the slight input lag, it was difficult shooting enemies.

Zathalus

GeForce Now if the best streaming service I have used. The 4080 tier is incredible, better IQ then either of my consoles.

Fredrik

I tried the GFN $20 tier earlier this year, it worked really well. Was playing Cyberpunk in "4K" at 100+ FPS. The only thing that sucks is the slight input lag, it was difficult shooting enemies.
The distance to the server matters, for me the latency has always been quite okay. Last time I checked the ping test it showed 13ms at my location, I get more latency just from my old TV.
huq8Ser.jpg

Dorfdad

Gold Member
What is the catch? PC gamepads on Geforce NOW would be a megaton BOMB! However I have a feeling that titles will be drop feed like 1-2 a month similar to how they been doing it now? Hope to be proven wrong and it's the full catalog. Halo on Geforce NOW??

Ah found my own answer in the article they state not all titles will be available just select titles from the PC game pass at this time. So id expect it to be slim picking but good for PR!

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wait.....so I have GP Ultimate. If I sign up for GFN Ultimate, I can play Starfield at 4k60 on my Nvidia Shield TV?
If you pay extra 20 dollars a month then yes you can. There is a free tier with waiting times or 9,99 tier, but it's hardware is very limited.

Fredrik

in the article they state not all titles will be available just select titles from the PC game pass at this time. So id expect it to be slim picking but good for PR!
Ah, that’s a bummer, probably won’t have Starfield there anytime soon then.

Noxxera

Yeah I found setting the streaming to custom and 4k, then 120hz streaming brings the input lag down really way down so its playable. Thats what I did even tho my PC can only output 4k 60hz. But I usually play at 1440p 120hz with the 4k stream so it gets downscaled. I imagine your monitors refresh rate affects your input lag too. The higher refresh rate being streamed typically means less input lag. Oh and a cable connection too to your router and a fast internet (fibre) I have 100mbit/s. Vsync off always too since thats the biggest bringer of input lag.

Input lag still being an issue after what I said? In that case I can go 1080p streaming in a last ditch effort with 240hz streaming. Feels like playing games natively but at 1080p.

Anyway Ultimate is dope

Noxxera

Yeah I have a Shield Pro, used to play Control that way before I had a raytracing capable PC, worked well enough, and 60fps.

This is huge tbh. Unless there is some other complication we should be able to play Starfield with PC Ultra visuals at 60fps in the living room this way. Can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I’ll try it once it’s available and will report back. Could be a good solution for those without a PC or Xbox. The latency is not too bad at all. There used to be queues to start popular releases though, Cyberpunk was a struggle at launch for me.
Yeah it will be insane if starfield is on GFN day 1. Honestly I will prolly buy ultimate 1 month (both ultimates) this weekend and play whatever games is added from gamepass and those I have already. Lets hope starfield comes day 1 too.

Noxxera

Wait.....so I have GP Ultimate. If I sign up for GFN Ultimate, I can play Starfield at 4k60 on my Nvidia Shield TV?
Yes but it isnt confirmed whether Starfield will be on GFN when its released. If it does in fact drop on GFN at release too you can play it 4k 120hz hdr if you use your pc.

Vox Machina

Banned
So cloud gaming is cool now? I told you fools this was the future

Cloud gaming is neat and useful when you're physically away from your primary devices but until data caps stop being a thing and latency issues are largely minimized due to SUPER wide rollout it won't be the primary way to play video games for a lot of people

MarkMe2525

The distance to the server matters, for me the latency has always been quite okay. Last time I checked the ping test it showed 13ms at my location, I get more latency just from my old TV.
huq8Ser.jpg
That's a low ass ping right there. It works great for me and I usually hover around 37-40ms

Fredrik

That's a low ass ping right there. It works great for me and I usually hover around 37-40ms
Yeah Geforce Now has always been great at my location.
I know Stadia is hated but it worked just as well for me, and no queues. But Stadia blades couldn’t match Geforce Now on performance, some games were 30fps while I’ve had no problem playing at 60fps on GFN.

Last edited:
Top Bottom