• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader |OT| Exploring The Treacherous Void of The Koronus Expanse

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game is barely getting any attention even on NeoGAF. It really deserves a lot more.

My gosh, imagine a Star Trek game like this where you can explore planets and customize your starship and deal with all sorts of alien races from the shows. Surprised that hasn't been done yet. Of course I'm talking about single player game.

Hudo

My gosh, imagine a Star Trek game like this where you can explore planets and customize your starship and deal with all sorts of alien races from the shows. Surprised that hasn't been done yet. Of course I'm talking about single player game.
Mass Effect and its structure were inspired by Star Trek, afaik. And you can at least see it in the first game.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It really deserves a lot more.
Owlcat games are usually gaining momentum after they are finally fixed (more or less). As terrific as it is, RT is starting to get really messy from Act 3 and onrwards.

I love the game to death (on par with BG3 in my GOTY list) and clocked around 60 hours in it only this week alone, but honestly, I'll wait for two or three weeks woth of patches to play the game without random softlocks and progression blockers.

It is still vastly more polished than Pathfinder 2 tho, first two acts (roughly 50 hours) were almost bug-free for me, sans some funny NPC t-posing.

foamdino

Started yesterday evening, spent 2 hours on character creation deciding on what main character to build. Settled on a melee officer + psyker (telepath). Just through the prologue and this absolutely nails 40k atmosphere. I'm going to do a stupidly dogmatic playthrough first, then I'm planning on a heretical playthrough next.

It's an easy 8/10 as a CRPG, but a flat 10/10 if you're into 40k lore in any way - brilliant game and would have been goty for me except for BG3 releasing this year.

Owlcat have improved from Pathfinder: Kingmaker -> Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous -> Rogue Trader - they just need more money for polish and they'll be lauded in the same way that Larian are now.

Denton

they just need more money for polish and they'll be lauded in the same way that Larian are now.
Only if that "money for polish" also includes "money for expensive cutscenes and AAA production values" because that is how Larian broke out so unprecendetaly in mainstream. If BG3 from Larian had the same style as Rogue Trader, it would never have broken out the way it did.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Only if that "money for polish" also includes "money for expensive cutscenes and AAA production values" because that is how Larian broke out so unprecendetaly in mainstream. If BG3 from Larian had the same style as Rogue Trader, it would never have broken out the way it did.
I'd say even with text-based cutscenes Rogue Trrader is pretty enough.

QA and VO budget is whole another animal. Frirst two acts were almost flawless, then the game fell apart and I'm sitting on my second BG3 run and waiting for RT patches. And there's too much reading even for my liking.
Yr7gbSv.jpg
HiqJLTY.jpg

T4keD0wN

I feel similarly, the game is amazing, but the lack of voice acting and the bugs are really dragging it down. I though WOTR was successful enough for them to be able to afford more/full VA for their next game, but it has way less than the previous one, unless the voicelines are also bugged. Its a shame. At least they seem to be listening to feedback surveys given how theyve changed their DLCs approach and more, so perhaps theres hope.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Question for any lore bros...

Is Ulfar pretty lore accurate? I know a little bit about 40k just from playing video games and general nerd osmosis, but Ive never read the books and Im definitely no expert.

But I found it pretty odd that....

A space marine would let himself get captured and then even be totally complacent with his capture... especially by a bunch of Xenos. Just seemed really defeatist or something. I thought Space Marines were supposed to be like the ultimate embodiment of death before dishonor.

I literally just got him like an hour ago, so maybe more to the story gets revealed. But when you're talking to him while he's in that cage you ask him about escaping and he says something like "Why would I want to leave? I get free food and people to kill." or something to that effect. Uhhh wouldn't being a slave to a xeno be like the most despicable thing ever to a Space Marine? I don't know... just seemed like some pretty odd behavior for an "Emporers Angel" when everything else about the game seems really buttoned up lore wise. But then again like I said Im no pro, but it stuck out as weird.

Zathalus

Is Ulfar pretty lore accurate? I know a little bit about 40k just from playing video games and general nerd osmosis, but Ive never read the books and Im definitely no expert.

A space marine would let himself get captured and then even be totally complacent with his capture... especially by a bunch of Xenos. Just seemed really defeatist or something. I thought Space Marines were supposed to be like the ultimate embodiment of death before dishonor.

I literally just got him like an hour ago, so maybe more to the story gets revealed. But when you're talking to him while he's in that cage you ask him about escaping and he says something like "Why would I want to leave? I get free food and people to kill." or something to that effect. Uhhh wouldn't being a slave to a xeno be like the most despicable thing ever to a Space Marine? I don't know... just seemed like some pretty odd behavior for an "Emporers Angel" when everything else about the game seems really buttoned up lore wise. But then again like I said Im no pro, but it stuck out as weird.
He is a Space Wolf, they are basically crazy vikings in space. They are very different from your standard Space Marine and really don't give a shit about most of the Imperium. They are loyal to the Emperor only.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
He is a Space Wolf, they are basically crazy vikings in space. They are very different from your standard Space Marine and really don't give a shit about most of the Imperium. They are loyal to the Emperor only.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I just unlocked some more conversation with him that expanded it a little and made more sense also. Ty!

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

Ulfar's chapter, Space Wolves, never accepted the post-heresy Space Marine reform and rules dictated by the Codex Astartes. So every Space Wolf is far from the typical SM trope and pretty lore-accurate at the same time. They even clash with their brothers from other chapters and some branches of the Imperium from time to time because of this. These guys are loyal only to The Emprah and their Primarch Leman Russ.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m 12 hours in. This is the first really good warhammer 40k game IMO. There’s been crap to good ones in the past, but this one soars.

This is also owlcat finally hitting a stride IMO. The pathfinder games both felt cumbersome and chore like.

It’s still no Baldurs gate 3 in terms of quality and polish but what games are?

I’ll say the combat is way more enjoyable to me than BG3, and so is the leveling system.

Praise the God Emperor!

T4keD0wN

Is the combat fun?
Yes, i am having a blast with the combat, some of the best "tactics" combat imo (i would put it as my #1 had it not been for the animation bugs), balancing is a little bit crazy during act3 before you start act4. (around 50h to 70h mark for me)
Is it better than BG3's?
I wouldnt say so, these 2 games are focused on the polar opposite things, every detail matters in bg3 while here its much more curated and focused on the stuff that matters the most.
Is it based around abilities and not the environment? How tactical is it? Cheers.
Its more traditional tactics, heavily focused around the character builds, gear, talents and abilities of which there are an insane amount.
The enviroment matters, cover, line of sight and range come into play, its not such a big factor as it is in bg3.

Arsic

Also tried this on steam deck oled. Lock the deck to 60hz and I have the game on max settings, and it feels buttery smooth.

Controls work excellent and text is legible. Game still looks great too.

Can recommend on deck

I feel similarly, the game is amazing, but the lack of voice acting and the bugs are really dragging it down. I though WOTR was successful enough for them to be able to afford more/full VA for their next game, but it has way less than the previous one, unless the voicelines are also bugged. Its a shame. At least they seem to be listening to feedback surveys given how theyve changed their DLCs approach and more, so perhaps theres hope.
They could easily use AI to do the voiceover of the lines they can't afford to hire voice actors for.
AI voices are decent enough now that its no longer stands out in a noticeable way.

Arsic

They could easily use AI to do the voiceover of the lines they can't afford to hire voice actors for.
AI voices are decent enough now that its no longer stands out in a noticeable way.

My laundry list of complaints for owlcat games is massive, and this is a key offender.

Not only can they do AI generated voices for their likes but would it kill them to create a portrait for everyone who speaks in game? AI can generate generic images for them to plop into NPCs. Like why is it a green nothingburger in this game?

It’s also bat shit the cut scenes(if you can call them that) are not done in a third person more up close perspective with animation work. Hell even games like pillars of eternity put in more effort.

The two things that carry this game is the superb level of love to the intellectual property that is warhammer 40K, and fun combat. 40K fans are feasting in exposition and lore. Everything else about the game is done better in most CRPGs. Exception is the soundtrack is aces, and the leveling system here is not overwhelming or cumbersome. Feels focused and manageable, and some other games even Owlcat ones, throw in way too much shit that is just overload.

I hope they do a rogue trader 2, and I hope someone injects 100 employees to this studio and a budget above $13.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Im getting into Act IV now and the bugs are definitely starting to make their presence felt. One of my characters is completely broken, half of his attacks don't trigger correctly :messenger_confused:. And the game just randomly started treating some of my companion dialogue/quests as if I had made the opposite dialogue decision of what I actually chose... and its some pretty big ones. So the narrative and some of the dialogue going on feel totally incoherent half the time.

They released a big patch a few hours ago, hopefully that cleans some of it up. Because despite all of that this game is fantastic. You can just feel this is probably about the point they ran out of time to finish QA or something lol.

I might actually restart a save at the beginning of Act IV when I get home and download the patch and get a clean run through on it.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Update 1.0.88 is live!

Lord Captains, our third major patch is live on PC!

Mac and both consoles are expected to receive the same patch within about ~24 hours.

We’ve done our best to cover as many quest issues as possible before New Year in this one. We also had a chance to look at performance on console, some broken items and talents, overtuned skill checks and incorrect conviction/reputation requirements. Enjoy!

Our next major patch is expected in January and will focus on more fixes for talents and items, balance and QoL improvements.

Highlights

Fixed a vast majority of broken quests and cutscenes that blocked progression or worked only for specific choices;
Fixed many items and abilities that worked incorrectly;
Fixed several desync cases for co-op;
Updated conviction, reputation and skill check values;
Improved optimization and fixed a lot of crash cases on console;
Added the missing names of our founders to the Shrine of Remembrance and Credits. Sorry for taking so long!
Well, it looks like they've fixed most of the broken quests and a bunch of other things. Full patch notes here.

Darkmakaimura

For those of you who have played and put a lot of time into it, how is the exploration aspect? Are there all sorts of planets and systems you can explore including planets systems that are not part of the main storyline that you can go to?

Glad to see so many positive impressions. I've not played an Owlcat game I think, and I was this close to picking this up simply because I LOVE 40K lore and have been really heavy into it these last few months not even knowing that Rogue Trader was a thing. But I been so busy and in love with BG3 that I've been fine sitting on the sidelines. I think by the time the game has a nice healthy sale in a few months, and what I presume will be a hefty number of patches by most impressions, it'll be in an even better state for a first time playthrough and that way I can continue to take my time with BG3.

Last edited:

foamdino

Just starting Act 2 - the spike in difficulty at the end of Act 1 was very Owlcat/Pathfinder reminiscent.

Love the attention to detail everywhere and the RP aspect of owning a massive void ship and just yeeting it into a space battle at the drop of a hat. I can see that there's a fair bit of reputation grinding to do now.

Wildebeest

Something that has no place nor exists within 40k.
The only reason female space marines don't exist is that british school boys were leaving the packs with the female marines on the shelves in the 80s. In the end all the "deep lore" exists to support plastic crack buying patterns.

Zathalus

The only reason female space marines don't exist is that british school boys were leaving the packs with the female marines on the shelves in the 80s. In the end all the "deep lore" exists to support plastic crack buying patterns.
Warhammer lore is fluid anyways. The Emperor's origin story has changed several times already. So has the creation of the Space Marines as well for that matter.

Anyone complaining about the 'lore' hasn't been around long enough to see it change all the time.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

You know that story about the whole "America spent millions developing a pen that could write in space but the Russians just used a pencil" thing that does the rounds every now and again, that story is like that. A half-truth twisted to try and force a point.

If there where ever female space marine models, painted models would be going for a fortune on ebay, the fact they arnt is your small hint that the above story of female space marines never happened, the models where available direct via white dwarf phone order, not via retailers and as above where likely sisters of battle, as their lore was already established at this point. Think about why certain groups would make up and push a story that their where female space marine models and boys just didn't buy them? Often with a strong hint that as "girls" now play tabletop then "girls" would buy them.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yeah, like STARSBarry pointed out, none of that is true. As ever, things are just plain made up to push an opinion/agenda.

Frankly, the lore could allow for Female Space Marines if the demand was there.

It isn’t.

It never has been. It probably never will be. 40K is overwhelmingly a male hobby, and the women that are into it are quite happy with the way things are.

The people whining are part time fans, or people who aren’t fans at all, who just see a predominantly male hobby and hate the very sight of it.

Wildebeest

Warhammer lore is fluid anyways. The Emperor's origin story has changed several times already. So has the creation of the Space Marines as well for that matter.

Anyone complaining about the 'lore' hasn't been around long enough to see it change all the time.
Yeah, they make it up as they go, so there is a lot of "explaining" what was done in the past based on things that were only thought of today. The idea that everything is extremely bad and dystopian in the far future is great lampshading for them.

The idea that there is an untapped female audience for W40K is as distorted as the idea that there are loads of women into the Roman army and ancient battles. They don't exist (in large numbers), trying to change W40K to appeal to this mon-existent market is typical of the times today.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I also want to preempt this article that people often bring up as an example of female space marines in 1st edition (even though it was written during 2nd edition)

vpZfDVB.png

This was written neither by Games Workshop or with their oversite, but is essentially a made up fan scenario inside a hobby magazine Games Designers Workshop (hence the GDW at the top of the page) challange magazine.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

The idea that there is an untapped female audience for W40K is as distorted as the idea that there are loads of women into the Roman army and ancient battles. They don't exist, trying to change W40K to appeal to this mon-existent market is typical of the times today.
To be clear, I don't care if there is a female audience for 40K at all or if they make every faction like the Orks, so there are only men in the future, and they reproduce like fungus.

FunkMiller

The idea that there is an untapped female audience for W40K is as distorted as the idea that there are loads of women into the Roman army and ancient battles. They don't exist (in large numbers), trying to change W40K to appeal to this mon-existent market is typical of the times today.

Let’s be fucking brutally honest about all of this. It isn’t actually women who keep complaining about there being no female space marines. Women like the hobby just the way it is. Because they are, by and large, sensible, well adjusted human beings.

It’s trans-women who are leading this agenda. For painfully obvious and transparent reasons.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

It's inevitable that Warhammer 40,000 will eventually have female Space Marines.

They're not really any different than any other company which is going to bend the knee and pander to the screaming purple haired types.

Top Bottom