• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader |OT| Exploring The Treacherous Void of The Koronus Expanse

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
FhSZtVK.jpg

CesUE5G.jpg

1iC8FbT.jpg

3sMqwDz.jpg

LpNdn7k.jpg

kMZSYe5.gif
90yCfal.gif
RwfDf0b.gif

trbgK3B.jpg

WsOvrX4.jpg
zPXxyCG.jpg
LRj9fJS.jpg

6yVePqO.jpg
R84MdHU.jpg
25rt7gH.jpg

kP2GDsQ.jpg
Hz0Fvlz.jpg
gVxaHXb.jpg

RDvG5Q0.jpg

KpLoaXR.jpg

IHUjjdK.jpg

WfKqV4R.jpg

dMbi7x6.gif
ijqArj9.gif
JZFDRcp.gif

21NrUV3.jpg

MVVSVXd.jpg

F1rrM5U.jpg
uphjXaA.jpg
PLczsz4.jpg

8DMCRsK.jpg

7xk1363.jpg
JLurW2u.jpg

7CBHm3t.png

Havoc2049

Wanna play it but it's an OwlCat game. Playing an OwlCat game at launch is disastrous, to say the least.
The two reviews I saw were positive and they said it was the least buggy OwlCat game they ever played. One reviewer was on his third playthrough.

Great OT. I downloaded Rogue Trader last night and will play some today. I'm still waiting on my collectors edition. I'll post a pic when it comes in. I should get it sometime next week...hopefully.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Following this guide for my companion characters. Everyone accept me and Abelard. Got Abelard as an Warrior/Assassin and me as a Warrior/Vanguard.

T4keD0wN

I see waifus... does this have romance? I'm too blind to read the text in OP
There are multiple romances. The writing is probably the studios biggest strenght so i wouldnt be worried one bit about their variety, although its 40k so idk.
Their previous stuff has some romances that ranged from wholesome to peak messed up and disturbing.

There a "Toy box" mod that allows you to romance everyone and at the same time, although its still in beta i think.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I knew what I'm getting into with Owlcat, so I'll wait a few major patches before playing. Still need to finish Jedi Survivor (man, I've a lot to say about it and in due time, I will) and Alan Wake II anyway. I just wanted to show support at launch for this kind of ambitious CRPG set in W40K, which I'm sure in time will be amazing and bug free (hopefully in a couple of months max) :messenger_relieved:
A lot of people actually don't have problems or have very few of them, but I just don't want to risk it as I sort of did with Baldur's Gate 3 - didn't go to Act 3 yet so at least I dodget that bullet.

Last edited:
Got sent the PS5 version so been playing there, seems pretty good so far. Has full FSR implemented (not sure its 2.2, either that or Rogue Trade is only something like 1440p before FSR and not 4K native) as you can change it from off to ultra-quality depending on your performance preference I guess. Don't really enjoy these kinda games on the controller though, Might try plugging in a KB/M later as you never know with support on console games these days

Griffon

Didn't Owlcat packed some sort of malware in a patch for one of their games and only removed it because they got caught?

Only for that, I'm out.

Last edited:
How did this goofy as fuck shit went through wh40k staff? Isn't that thing supposed to be a suffocating, unforgiving, gut wrenching, kill or be killed universe? What is this child's fairytale like looks with these adorable characters????
Bro, it's 2023. Do you think Games Workshop is still staffed by balding mullet men who live for death metal and rolling dice and trying to write the most offensive and sickening backstories they can? That personality is pretty much illegal now.

But we will return.

Pathfinder 2 was amazing and this is right on par with that level of quality.
Pillars and Divinity were great, but Owlcat's Pathfinder games really nailed the BG2 vibe I was looking for. This is more of the same, but in the 40k universe instead. Larian's BG3 turned out much better than I expected, but I still wish Owlcat would've gotten the license.

WitchHunter

Banned
Bro, it's 2023. Do you think Games Workshop is still staffed by balding mullet men who live for death metal and rolling dice and trying to write the most offensive and sickening backstories they can? That personality is pretty much illegal now.

But we will return.
Ian Watson is turning in his grave, but he is very much alive.

Madonis

How did this goofy as fuck shit went through wh40k staff? Isn't that thing supposed to be a suffocating, unforgiving, gut wrenching, kill or be killed universe? What is this child's fairytale like looks with these adorable characters????

Even in the darkness of the Warhammer 40k world, you want to create characters people will wish to play as and/or with, especially in the context of a CRPG.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The video game follows the aesthetics of the table top RPG. The game takes place at the edge of the Imperium, so it doesn't take place on some war torn planet or a massive military industrial complex planet.
dd68efa12f5ed2b035f12febd4cb8a2d.jpg

StereoVsn

I am definitely going to get the game as I really liked WotR and Kingmaker was quite good as well.

I just won’t get to the game for a couple of months so no point of buying it right now.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I'm confused... this is how 40k has more or less always looked.

Especially the Rogue Traders.

O66phnH.jpg

Your talking about a universe that spans an entire galaxy. Is it the Sister of Battle? Or the Navigator? Or the Aeldari that's the issue?

Everyone is pretty spot on especially because these people you are directly dealing with are at least senior officers or above in terms of universe rank.

To put it into perspective you can start as a Lieutenant General of the imperial guard, that the Rogue Trader calls on a whim because she out ranks the military and has that level of power due to the warrant of trade they own.

I think the issue is the name Rogue Trader... it sounds minor, but these are some or the most powerful and important people in the imperium, some of them have entire kill teams of Space Marines on permanent retainer, because they can. They are probably second only to Lord Generals of a crusade, Captain and above for Space Marines and Inquistors, its a short list of who has a bigger dick than a Rogue Trader.

So the people you work with are not the dregs of the imperium, but some of the most powerful and influential members of the imperium, most of the cast are some form of minor lord in their own right. Your not dragging some random guardsman around, your too important. Governors of planets beg for your audience because they are so far beneath you, its fun.

I do love me some bog standard guard though... but I got Darktide for that.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Even in the darkness of the Warhammer 40k world, you want to create characters people will wish to play as and/or with, especially in the context of a CRPG.
Fuck them 40 year old manchildren who walk in diapers and their mommy willingly wipes their arses.

WitchHunter

Banned
Pathfinder 2 was amazing and this is right on par with that level of quality.
Pillars and Divinity were great, but Owlcat's Pathfinder games really nailed the BG2 vibe I was looking for. This is more of the same, but in the 40k universe instead. Larian's BG3 turned out much better than I expected, but I still wish Owlcat would've gotten the license.
P2 was awfully boring after 35 hours because the same shit got repeated again and again. BG3 has similar issues, but their combat system is even slower and inferior compared to P2.

WitchHunter

Banned
This isn't Rogue Trader, these are Crimson Fists fighting. There are people who lead normal lives in high tech societies like Ultramar, or live in a Medieval like world the in the 40K universe. The vastness of the 40K verse allows pretty much for anything.

Red5

Yeah but they're still Crimson Fist marines and not Rogue Traders. A rogue Trader is like a Buccaneer, a Corsair or a Conquistador with his lone ship exploring the vast empty space with a crew of misfits sometimes even xenos, hoarding artifacts that no Space Marine would touch.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I love warhammer 40k, but I’ve never made it but a few hours into owlcats games.

What kind of improvements have they made in their formula ? Is the game like 90% voiced or is it just me reading the majority of the game ? Is there some tedious activity baked into the game I’ll need to do like pathfinder 1&2 with castles and armies ? Is the character creator visually robust for facial/hair options or just several shades of low poly shit ?

What kind of improvements have they made in their formula ? Is the game like 90% voiced or is it just me reading the majority of the game

No improvements. Expect the same amount of bugged spells, horrible pathing, and game breaking bugs exactly as all their previous games. It's not fully voiced, you'll have to read most of the time, as its the case with all their games. OwlCat devs are not the kind of devs that improve. They know theres a thirst for crpg genre, they have some great mechanics to work with but always release too early, wait for their thirsty fans to report all the bugs and in a year or or they'll release the ultimate edition, which will still be buggy. I recently replayed Pathfinder Wrath and I found the exact same bugs that I had when I played it at launch. Doubt you'll find any team making crpg releasing proper games. Not even Larian who everyone loves released a full game and a lot of Act 3 was absolute dog shit on release.

Enjoy :)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is... well this is when Necrons where still just space terminators (and originally just the men of iron) when Genestealers weren't tyranids and squats where good (SPAAAAAACE TRAAAAAAAAAIN)

All the new role playing stuff if well within line of the above stuff you have been given. What your posting is like nearly 3 decades out of date.

IXJDGio.jpg

9ZLmiM1.jpg

This is the current TTRPG for warhammer... and pretty much any media in the last 10 years is similair in terms of artwork... the older artwork was more basic and comic book, but even going back 15 years

oqRPDtt.jpg

You had this style for characters.

Last edited:
So I love warhammer 40k, but I’ve never made it but a few hours into owlcats games.

What kind of improvements have they made in their formula ? Is the game like 90% voiced or is it just me reading the majority of the game ? Is there some tedious activity baked into the game I’ll need to do like pathfinder 1&2 with castles and armies ? Is the character creator visually robust for facial/hair options or just several shades of low poly shit ?

If you didn't like Owlcat's previous work, this is more of the same. Ymmv depending on how much you like the source material. I'm only a passing fan of Warhammer, and I have zero knowledge of the rpg systems, but I'm enjoying myself quite a bit.

Voice over work is about the same as Pathfinder 2. The vo actors are great, but I'd say about 80% of the dialogue is reading. Visually, character creation is about the same, with maybe a few more options. I'm pretty sure this is just running on the same engine P2 did.

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and haven't run into any "kingdom/crusade" aspects yet.

This is very much P2 in the Warhammer 40k universe.

geary

If you didn't like Owlcat's previous work, this is more of the same. Ymmv depending on how much you like the source material. I'm only a passing fan of Warhammer, and I have zero knowledge of the rpg systems, but I'm enjoying myself quite a bit.

Voice over work is about the same as Pathfinder 2. The vo actors are great, but I'd say about 80% of the dialogue is reading. Visually, character creation is about the same, with maybe a few more options. I'm pretty sure this is just running on the same engine P2 did.

I'm in the middle of chapter 2 and haven't run into any "kingdom/crusade" aspects yet.

This is very much P2 in the Warhammer 40k universe.
The gimmick for this game are the ship battles.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

All of 40k is pretty goofy. That's kind of the point. Anyone who expects some sort of gritty, grey, super serious, realistic depiction of a kill or be killed universe is always going to be disappointed.

It has an ultra powerful god-like entity in it called Nurgle, for crying out loud.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This game is really good, Im having a blast and Im not even a traditional CRPG guy. Theres a lot of meat on the bone with this one, Im only 10 hours in and feel like Im just getting started.

Ive only run into 1 serious bug so far... where an enemy character would get stuck in the environment, become untargetable and wouldnt let me finish combat. It happened every time he ran to a specific location so I just had to rush him and kill him before he got there then it was fine... other than that its actually be pretty smooth.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
From what I've read, it gets better the more you play the game and get upgrades for the ship, but at the start it's a bit hard, yes.

I decided to lower the ship combat to Normal. Everything else I'm keeping on Daring. I appreciate them allowing us to customize the difficulty on a micro level.

Top Bottom