• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WandaVision |OT| Wanda's Mental Multiverse Breakdown

3liteDragon

My guess:

This is probably gonna lead into Spider-Man 3 and Doctor Strange 2 with all the multiverse rumors going around. There was also a rumor that mentioned the old Spider-Mans coming back in SM3, loved the first two episodes so far. Can't wait to see what happens next.

MrMephistoX

In the comics she has broken reality before. She also went psycho and got rid of most of the mutants on the planet with a thought ("No more mutants"). Wanda is uber powerful.
That’s why I’m holding out hope they do HOuse of M and bring everyone back for the Avengers portion at some point.

ManaByte

That’s why I’m holding out hope they do HOuse of M and bring everyone back for the Avengers portion at some point.

With how they did Infinity Gauntlet in the MCU and the five-year blip, House of M would just be a repeat of Thanos' snap but only affecting Mutants. You'd also need years of established Mutants to make it work.

TheMan

Yeah it's ok so far. I get that they're parodying 50s sitcoms and playing up the hokiness. They're just moving kinda slow to whatever it is they're going to reveal, so I hope it's worth it. Also, I wish the episodes weren't so short

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm quite astounded that people feel that the show is moving slow. They are only 20-25 minutes an episode, not even a full episode of GoT or Walking Dead yet.

TheMan TheMan What you say confuses me, it's moving slow but you want longer episodes? You realise if the episodes were long you'd be getting a 40-50 minute episode set in the 50's and a 40-50 minute episode set in the 60's? I'd understand if people complained about the show if this was the case, a 50 minute episode set in the 50's where only 1 or 2 weird things happen. Marvel would be asking the audience to sit through nearly 9 hours of content before getting to the "good stuff" instead of 2.5-3 hours.

Marvel have very deliberately set each episode in a different decade and I think they have very deliberately made the episodes so short because peoples attention spans are so terrible these days.

Ceiling Fan

Banned
The house changed completely between episodes 1 and 2. Pretty amazing.
Dick Van Dyke House to Bewitched House.
I'm guessing the 70s are next. Probably Brady Bunch as I can't think of a bigger sitcom.

Jethalal

Banned
They already confirmed the shows they're using:
Ep1: The Dick Van Duke Show
Ep2: Bewitched
Ep3: The Brady Bunch
Ep4: Family Ties
Ep5: Malcom in the Middle
Ep6: Modern Family
Is Modern Family like The Office, I recently saw a trailer with Wanda in modern sitcom setting, she was giving an interview just like The Office style.

I loved this show and frankly I’m shocked people didn’t like it.

In the comics she has broken reality before. She also went psycho and got rid of most of the mutants on the planet with a thought ("No more mutants"). Wanda is uber powerful.
I JUST — I mean 5 minutes ago I read the last page — finished House of M for the first time. Awesome read!

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
I loved this show and frankly I’m shocked people didn’t like it.

I JUST — I mean 5 minutes ago I read the last page — finished House of M for the first time. Awesome read!
Is the comic great for X-Men newcomers? I now have watched the 1st 2 X-Men movies and the Deadpool ones so know the names and powers of characters but not more.

Is the comic great for X-Men newcomers? I now have watched the 1st 2 X-Men movies and the Deadpool ones so know the names and powers of characters but not more.
I wouldn’t say great for newcomers but you should still be able to get some enjoyment out of it. It is a lot more than JUST X-men, you’ve got Avengers and Defenders, as well. If you’ve seen the MCU flicks and have a passing knowledge of, for instance, who Luke Cage is, then you should be fine — otherwise maybe keep Wikipedia open :)

Ceiling Fan

Banned
They already confirmed the shows they're using:
Ep1: The Dick Van Duke Show
Ep2: Bewitched
Ep3: The Brady Bunch
Ep4: Family Ties
Ep5: Malcom in the Middle
Ep6: Modern Family

Very cool.
Not sure how I feel about the 90s and 00s choices.
Malcolm in the Middle is a great show, but it's not iconic like some other stuff.

Can't wait to see Kitty Forman in 70s garb this week

Jethalal

Banned
Very cool.
Not sure how I feel about the 90s and 00s choices.
Malcolm in the Middle is a great show, but it's not iconic like some other stuff.

Can't wait to see Kitty Forman in 70s garb this week
I think it'll make sense considering some characters that will be added. Just wait.

sol_bad

House of M is like an alternate reality scenario. So in terms of continuity it's easy to jump into. But you'd get much more out of it knowing currentcharacters and relationships.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was ok so far. They need to speed up the hints that there is something bigger going on, as for me the parody elements aren't really working enough to keep me invested.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I like that the story is unfolding slowly, but at the same time I dislike it for that same reason. I know, stupid conundrum on my part. I am hoping things accelerate a bit in the next episode. Watching the first two episodes reminded me of how good an actor Bettany is. He can take any role and just elevate it. Olsen is great too. And the fact that it feels like a MCU show while being so radically different is a plus.

Can any comic readers maybe spoiler tag what may be going on based on the funny books? I am not too familiar with the Scarlet Witch but I have a sneaking suspicion ....

.... she is actually to blame for whatever weird alternate reality shenanigans are going on here

sol_bad

I like that the story is unfolding slowly, but at the same time I dislike it for that same reason. I know, stupid conundrum on my part. I am hoping things accelerate a bit in the next episode. Watching the first two episodes reminded me of how good an actor Bettany is. He can take any role and just elevate it. Olsen is great too. And the fact that it feels like a MCU show while being so radically different is a plus.

Can any comic readers maybe spoiler tag what may be going on based on the funny books? I am not too familiar with the Scarlet Witch but I have a sneaking suspicion ....

.... she is actually to blame for whatever weird alternate reality shenanigans are going on here

The thing is, Marvel Studios generally do things different to the comics. Age of Ultron and Civil War are totally different to the comics for example.
Chances of the show replicating any of the comics exactly are probably slim. Feige, for the majority of the time, likes to make sure her surprises comic book fans as well.

Comic and potential show spoiler.
But based on what has happened in the comics people think that Mephisto is trapping Wanda in this pocket reality and trying to get her to conceive children. These children will actually be soul fragments of Mephisto and when Wanda realises this she goes absolutely insane. Mephisto is the Marvel universes devil basically.

There are certainly hints in the show that suggest this character is behind the scenes and it's a good reason for this show to continue directly into Doctor Strange 2.
But I wouldn't be surprised if the show pulled the rug from underneath everyone and something completely different is revealed.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
If sitcoms are the theme, what are your guesses for further decades?

70s- Brady bunch or happy days (but that might not work as the show itself is set in the 50s)
80s- Cheers?
90s- Seinfeld?

I am just thinking of the most popular sitcoms of each decade.

Ionian

If sitcoms are the theme, what are your guesses for further decades?

70s- Brady bunch or happy days (but that might not work as the show itself is set in the 50s)
80s- Cheers?
90s- Seinfeld?

I am just thinking of the most popular sitcoms of each decade.

Already posted further up this page.

Apparently confirmed or something. Dunno the source of the info.

sol_bad

Was watching first episode, took another look at episode 2.

Not a fan. Not going to watch it.

I thought that was supposed to be the introduction into the second marvel cinematic universe.

What do you mean by second marvel cinematic universe?

sol_bad

I read that WandaVision is the first Marvel Show set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe 2 that starts now after Endgame.

It's the same universe as all the movies, it continues on from Infinity War and Endgame.
It's the start of Phase 4 basically. If you are invested in the MCU, you'll get your action towards the end of the season, for now, it's about the mystery of what is happening. I'd suggest sticking with episode 2 and episode 3 this week, apparently episode 3 starts delving deeper into the mystery.

Phase 1
Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, Avengers

Phase 2
Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man

Phase 3
Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, Avengers Infinity War, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Spider-Man: Far From Home

Phase 4
WandaVision, Black Widow, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Loki, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Eternals, Spider-Man 3, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye ETC ETC ETC

sol_bad

Very cool episode, I didn't find the jokes as good as the first 2 episodes but still very entertaining.

So many new little details.
Wanda couldn't poof away the Stork and the Stork was trying to get to the babies, is the Stork Mephisto or whoever wants the children? Some of the residents are just pretending to be part of the made up reality, Agnes and Herb were both talking about Geraldine and how she just appeared, worried about where she is and what she is doing. Confirmation that Wanda and Visions children are Speed and Winccan, they are mutands in the comics soooooo........
Piotr being mentioned, that scene was tense and Wanda got scary, loved the Ultron name drop.

God, good cliff hanger and can't wait for the next episode.

MrMephistoX

Very cool episode, I didn't find the jokes as good as the first 2 episodes but still very entertaining.

So many new little details.
Wanda couldn't poof away the Stork and the Stork was trying to get to the babies, is the Stork Mephisto or whoever wants the children? Some of the residents are just pretending to be part of the made up reality, Agnes and Herb were both talking about Geraldine and how she just appeared, worried about where she is and what she is doing. Confirmation that Wanda and Visions children are Speed and Winccan, they are mutands in the comics soooooo........
Piotr being mentioned, that scene was tense and Wanda got scary, loved the Ultron name drop.

God, good cliff hanger and can't wait for the next episode.

This is why I always let the creative pan out with things like this and Star Wars series: the first two were fun and it’s going to keep building. There is generally no true filler and it will make sense at the finale or later seasons it’s really pointless to nitpick until the full series is out. Also damn I don’t know why but I think I prefer weekly drops now due to COVID as opposed to Netflix. Something to look forward to each week whereas no one is talking about Cobra Kai because we probably all binged it in one weekend.

The containment around the anomaly at the end totally gave me Annihilation vibes in a good way

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Really good third episode. This show is shaping up to be easily one of the most narratively creative stories the MCU has done. Scarlet Witch and Vision were always background characters for me, but this does an amazing job of making them seem far more important as we head into phase 4. Loving the mystery element, and the drip feed of the real world. Great stuff.

Really good third episode. This show is shaping up to be easily one of the most narratively creative stories the MCU has done. Scarlet Witch and Vision were always background characters for me, but this does an amazing job of making them seem far more important as we head into phase 4. Loving the mystery element, and the drip feed of the real world. Great stuff.
I feel the exact same way, 100%. Background characters that now see like foreground characters. Loved this episode, can’t wait for more.

Malakhov

Banned
No shit, this is so refreshing. This and mandalorian makes me want series instead of movies from now on. Such an awesome job on both shows

Manus

After three episodes, I'm definitely just gonna just wait till all the episodes are released. To me this show does a disservice being weekly.

sol_bad

After three episodes, I'm definitely just gonna just wait till all the episodes are released. To me this show does a disservice being weekly.

This is where I disagree. I think the week to week format creates more conversation in general. Look at the Cobra Kai thread on many forums for example, people have moved on and aren't really discussing it.

Filth

Ok ive read a bunch of theory's and whatnot and this randomly popped in my head. Hear me out..... what if we are watching Wanda and Vision but not the original wanda and vision. These are two from a multi verse alla Rick and Morty and we are watching a different timeline pan out. Also I think everyone from the town is dead. Vision is dead so that's possibly his soul and the necklace with the grim reaper looking symbol on it around Agnes's neck. I think this is what Herb was trying to tell Vision.

ManaByte

I think this is what Herb was trying to tell Vision.

He was trying to tell Vision they're all trapped. That's why he was cutting through the wall earlier in the episode.

This is where I disagree. I think the week to week format creates more conversation in general. Look at the Cobra Kai thread on many forums for example, people have moved on and aren't really discussing it.

Yup. A character like Quicksilver appearing would get conversation for an entire week. Same thing happened with Mando with Boba Fett, Ahsoka, etc.

Last edited:
Ok ive read a bunch of theory's and whatnot and this randomly popped in my head. Hear me out..... what if we are watching Wanda and Vision but not the original wanda and vision. These are two from a multi verse alla Rick and Morty and we are watching a different timeline pan out. Also I think everyone from the town is dead. Vision is dead so that's possibly his soul and the necklace with the grim reaper looking symbol on it around Agnes's neck. I think this is what Herb was trying to tell Vision.

Looked more like a sword, and whatever that force field is made this all look like a prison of some sort.

oagboghi2

The sword is the emblem for S.W.O.R.D. Geraldine is most likely a S.W.O.R.D agent and she was “removed” similar to how Wanda “removed” Charles Xavier in House of M when he told her the babies she gave birth in her fake reality weren’t real.

Everyone is alive. They are just figments of Wanda’s ability to wrap reality with chaos magic. That’s why her neighbors were freaking out

Top Bottom