• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wallstreet: We didn't benefit enough from the bailouts, so we are suing the US Gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

Posts like these are gross.
So is the lack of legitimate recourse when people willfully ruin millions of lives. History tells us that eventually the mob wins out, and the people whose necks are on the line don't seem to care enough about that to change. I just wish we could get it over with so I can stop worrying about it.

Fox Mulder

All I can hope for is this is the sort of overreach on Wallstreet's part that will make it very hard for either party to stand behind them.

Republicans are going to have a tough time arguing billions in government dollars should go to further compensating the people the tea party hates.

Democrats aren't really going to find any backers.

This isn't the sort of thing that will likely produce media apathy where either party feels the public won't pay attention.

Then again this is the U.S. Government and they have found ways to bend for wall street every other time.

Lol, they'll just make empty campaign promises to their bases like they always do. Both parties have hands of wall street and corporations up their ass.

M3d10n

Wouldn't that have led to an actual depression affecting not only America but every other country?

I don't think anyone would want that. I wouldn't want my country to suffer because a few rich Americans were super greedy and destroyed their entire country for some extra 0s on their cheques.

Yes, and that was exactly what many investors wanted. There's lots of money to be made during a worldwide depression.

charsace

Some of them getting killed seems like the only way these people will understand they aren't invincible. They will never care that they ruin the lives of millions, that they have possibly ruined a generation of kids in america and probably world wide. At this point society has to give them something to fear.

Dennis

Banned
*shrug*

America keeps electing people who accepts Wall Street in its current form so you get what you deserve.

*shrug*

America keeps electing people who accepts Wall Street in its current form so you get what you deserve.
Our elections don't really matter beyond the surface of things like social issues. At the core, both Republicans and Democrats are oligarchs.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression ensures that votes mean nothing. We don't live in a democracy, it's more like the pseudo-totalitarian corporate state of the United States in the Fallout universe, just not as open about it.

Instead of the Red Menace, it's the Brown Menace.

Next time this shit happens the upper management needs to go the prison and the company nationalized.
It certainly seems like just nationalizing the banks, getting them back on their feet, and selling them off at a profit would have been a much cleaner and straight forward approach. It's what Scandinavia did during the banking crisis in the late 80s, and it worked quite well. Here you had Congress going though all sorts of complicated legal contortions to avoid "GOVERNMENT TAKEOVER OF THE BANKS!", and it's just ended up as a flawed, overly complex mess.

andycapps

The funny thing is, we all know the government overstepped their bounds and should not have bailed those companies out. But, I don't really get these demands. If the government hadn't done that, these people bringing the demands would have never seen a cent.

Theonik

Guillotines worked out so well last time, amirite?
They worked pretty fantastically if you ask me.

The funny thing is, we all know the government overstepped their bounds and should not have bailed those companies out. But, I don't really get these demands. If the government hadn't done that, these people bringing the demands would have never seen a cent.
These is why you should never try to help people.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Uh, why isn't Warren running again? : (

The correct answer should be something like "Sure, ok. Top bracket income tax is now 65%, capital gains included. Have fun"

Generally five years back [from questionable return] to examine, though it might be seven depending on what it's for.

:)

ten years if misbehavior is suspected.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Let's see someone here try to avoid paying 10$ in due taxes.

sinxtanx

I don't think these guys fully understand that even though they are illegal, public executions driven by popular demand is still a thing that CAN happen.

All I can hope for is this is the sort of overreach on Wallstreet's part that will make it very hard for either party to stand behind them.

Republicans are going to have a tough time arguing billions in government dollars should go to further compensating the people the tea party hates.

Democrats aren't really going to find any backers.

This isn't the sort of thing that will likely produce media apathy where either party feels the public won't pay attention.

Then again this is the U.S. Government and they have found ways to bend for wall street every other time.
Naive. Triggered a world collapse and not a single person went to jail. Citizens United co-opting the fucking Supreme Court. TPP. Lobbyists. Off shore currency channels. Transnational pressure to undermine government regulations with operating budgets larger than some countries output.

I ask what could they possibly do to earn more distrust.

XOMTOR

Not Wall Street, it's the shareholders that are pursuing legal action and in the case of Fannie and Freddie, they have every right to do do.

Long story short, the government puller a Darth Vader and changed the terms of the deal on both firms and shareholders want them to be held accountable for it.

xenist

Not Wall Street, it's the shareholders that are pursuing legal action and in the case of Fannie and Freddie, they have every right to do do.

Long story short, the government puller a Darth Vader and changed the terms of the deal on both firms and shareholders want them to be held accountable for it.

The shareholders should have held the banks accountable too. Preferably prior to them fucking everyone else. But their only interest was their ROI.

So fuck'em.

Sulik2

I should have gone into banking. Why struggle to make a living and not feel like a horrible person when everyone in the banking industry can live easy off tax payer funds?

Time to destroy Wall Street. Fuck these guys. They got more from the stimulus and bailout than everyone else put together, and they're still bitching for more? Damn welfare bums.

Drop dead, Wall Street.

BowieZ

Banned
Give them what they want.

They can do whatever they want. They can get what they want. So just let them have it.

gogosox82

I'm honestly surprised they haven't been given the money on the low and actually have to sue for it. They must be really pissed at the government for making them publicly sue for something they think they are owed.

ezrarh

Republicans will make sure that never happens.

I dislike Republicans as much as many people here but Democrats aren't going to do that either. You'd need an entire Congress full of Bernie Sander and Elizabeth Warren types for that to happen.

Eh.. So is destroying the country's financial system.

Hyperbolic to say the least.

At long as the Fed. Reserve and FDIC exists, there will be no runs on consumer banks, but if President Obama and Eric Holder couldn't find any malfeasance, what makes you think that the next President will?

The problem with prosecuting them is that proving actual malfeasance in a case like this is really, really hard. Ultimately, financial regulations aren't really equipped to handle the equivalent of wilful endangerment and/or negligent homicide, so demonstrating their incompetence and general uncaring attitudes on a personal level doesn't do a lot of good.

Also, let's tone down the calls for people's actual heads, yeah? That tends to end poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom