• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wakanda Forever vs. Avatar: The Way of Water...what looks more technically impressive

What looks technically better

• Wakanda Forever

Votes: 12 13.3%

Votes: 78 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
is it just me or does Wakanda Forever look more technically advanced than Avatar 2? i have seen some debate on twitter about this

not saying one film will be better than the other, just an observation

what do you think looks better on a purely technical level?

Realistic humanoid characters with clothes and hair take a lot of compute. Of course having tons of them might challenge the quality of the overall look that can be achieved. Avatar is basically fully CG organic environments with tons of CG realistic humanoids. Artificial manmade environments and more limited use of cg characters makes it far easier to devote more of the limited resources. Also real world objects and humans still difficult to match with CG.

That said given the aliens in avatar are not humans with prosthetic but full cg, I think it is more impressive given how realistic they look.

Last edited:
09iKuB6.gif

I for one am extremely excited for both movies. They both look great

Avatar, the Marvel movies always look like pristine green screen.

I’m sure it’s been addressed in later appearance but some of the weightless fights in the first Black Panther looked like terrible video game cutscenes.

Doom85

Snu Snu it is than 😏

I’m waiting for the show to release properly before I rank her.

But I do know my top 5 MCU crushes are:

1. Shuri (cute, smart, badass, funny, the whole package)
2. Jane Foster (pretty, smart, eventual badass)
3. Valkyrie (pretty, witty, would just be fun to be around)
4. Captain Peggy Carter (I wouldn’t have ranked regular Peggy as high, but Captain, damn, badass and I loved her new hair color)
5. Gamora (a bit uptight at first but she loosens up, and I always appreciate a sexy alien lady)

Considering Jane (with Mjolnir), Captain Peggy, and Gamora all have super strength (not sure if Valkyrie has it, and Shuri will get it if she can recreate the fruit or they find more somewhere outside Wakanda), I am totally okay with any of these strong ladies carrying ME to the bedroom.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Avatar. And frankly it's not even close.

One of the main reasons a sequel for Avatar has taken so long is because they literally had to create new technology to film underwater motion capture scenes. The pay off for that is clear from the trailer. It just looks more natural and realistic.

BP2 doesn't look shit and I'm sure it'll be good, but from a technical standpoint Avatar 2 blows it away.

Tams

At the end of the day, Wakanda Forever is still an MCU movie. It was a well done trailer but Avatar will be more impressive.
Are you talking about story, acting, and directing there?

'Cos all Avatar had going for it was its graphics/3D.

Tams

Are you kidding? You are comparing it to Marvel. Marvel movies are just effects, there is nothing else to them. It's the most shallow non-descript movies in the industry.

Without the trailers and CGI, there would be nothing else left.
And you're comparing it to Avatar.

Marvel films at least have attempts at imaginative stories with some complexity and perhaps even some originality.

Avatar is just generic and dead. If you don't see it in 3D or at an IMAX, it's just not worth seeing.

Bragr

Banned
And you're comparing it to Avatar.

Marvel films at least have attempts at imaginative stories with some complexity and perhaps even some originality.

Avatar is just generic and dead. If you don't see it in 3D or at an IMAX, it's just not worth seeing.
Imaginative stories? dude, a 12-year-old could write all the phases in 2 days. Do you know how easy it is to write stuff like this? A good story is not built around how much bullshit you can cram into a scene.

Marvel movies are the definition of generic, they are building all the movies around the same framework. It's unbelievably boring.

Tams

Imaginative stories? dude, a 12-year-old could write all the phases in 2 days. Do you know how easy it is to write stuff like this? A good story is not built around how much bullshit you can cram into a scene.

Marvel movies are the definition of generic, they are building all the movies around the same framework. It's unbelievably boring.
Then a 6-year-old could 'write' Avatar by just banging toys together.

It seems like they took the criticisms of Black Panther 1 to heart and worked more on the effects and look. As long as the last act of BP2 doesn't suddenly lose all of the CG budget and look like an old beast wars episode, I will be satisfied.

Bragr

Banned
Then a 6-year-old could 'write' Avatar by just banging toys together.
Avatar's writers is more like 15 years old.

But Avatar features enough cinematography and effects to wonder at that's been developed for years and years, while Marvel is rushed to cinemas with loopholes and cheaper techniques.

Tams

Avatar's writers is more like 15 years old.

But Avatar features enough cinematography and effects to wonder at that's been developed for years and years, while Marvel is rushed to cinemas with loopholes and cheaper techniques.
Well, you certainly are living on another fucking planet.

Avatar's story is basically marines try to take over and wipe out blue aliens to get resources from their planet. Blue aliens worship a tree that brings them life. Blue aliens eventually win.

Story of the fucking millennium right there.

I'm not saying Marvel film writing is some masterpiece that will endure centuries, but it has more depth than that.

Bragr

Banned
Well, you certainly are living on another fucking planet.

Avatar's story is basically marines try to take over and wipe out blue aliens to get resources from their planet. Blue aliens worship a tree that brings them life. Blue aliens eventually win.

Story of the fucking millennium right there.

I'm not saying Marvel film writing is some masterpiece that will endure centuries, but it has more depth than that.
Like what? what depth are you speaking off?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't think it is ANY question, Avatar will crush WF graphically. They have had waaaay more time on Avatar, probably been tweaking that thing for YEARS while WF undoubtedly went through the usual crunch. I bet there will be plenty of dodgy parts like the flooding of Wakanda and whatever all-CGI slugfest they end the film with. Coogler is also YEARS away, if ever, from even being able to open the door for Cameron as a technical director, JC is on an entirely different level from EVERYONE else. As a script writer though he holds his own so I'm expecting WF to be a pretty decent film from an emotional perspective. I don't really care for BP much but it's not because the characters and the villain especially weren't well done.

Trailer wise you can give the edge to wakanda, but we all know that avatar will be much more visually impressive as a movie. Like they won’t even be in the same universe.

Fbh

Avatar is going to be an amazing visual and technical show case, just like the first.

Black Panther will look bad like the first one and almost all Marvel Movies.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
One is mostly a cartoon, the other is mostly live action, both use advanced animation. I am sure they will all be technically proficient.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not gonna bother seein Avatar 2 but its obviously going to be the more technically advanced movie. James Cameron is really autistic about the quality of effects in his movies, he literally started out as an effects guy.

Bragr

Banned
Both films. And the character has a story in the comics.
The film where Doctor Strange turns into a zombie to tell a universe-traveling kid to trust her powers to defeat a witch that wants to be a house mom? these are, as I said, a 12-year-old kid fantasies. There is nothing to it.

I don't know if you can find a more empty silly story than this. The character has no sense or meaning.

The Doctor Strange movies are considerably more empty and thin than Avatar. I don't know exactly what story in those movies you think beats Avatar, but you are starting to fall into the category of Marvel fans that think everything is cool no matter what it is.

Tams

The film where Doctor Strange turns into a zombie to tell a universe-traveling kid to trust her powers to defeat a witch that wants to be a house mom? these are, as I said, a 12-year-old kid fantasies. There is nothing to it.

I don't know if you can find a more empty silly story than this. The character has no sense or meaning.

The Doctor Strange movies are considerably more empty and thin than Avatar. I don't know exactly what story in those movies you think beats Avatar, but you are starting to fall into the category of Marvel fans that think everything is cool no matter what it is.
Oh, just skip the parts where he's against a witch who is driven by emotional issues regarding her family (that's not really her family), has to traverse multiple universes and fight an alternative version of himself.

It has more depth than Avatar, full stop.

Again, I never said Marvel films are deep. But they sure as hell are deeper than Avatar, even Thor: Love and Thunder or Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 are.

Bragr

Banned
Oh, just skip the parts where he's against a witch who is driven by emotional issues regarding her family (that's not really her family), has to traverse multiple universes and fight an alternative version of himself.

It has more depth than Avatar, full stop.

Again, I never said Marvel films are deep. But they sure as hell are deeper than Avatar, even Thor: Love and Thunder or Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 are.
That's not depth, that's exposition.

I can write a story right now in 5 minutes about how Doctor Strange and the Witch fight each other, and how she wants kids, that's easy. What's hard is writing a story that teaches the watchers parts of the human condition, or conveys the personality of the character. Or whatever, something interesting.

Doctor Strange is pure exposition drivel.

They don't really tell you why the witch wants the kids unless you watch some shitty TV show, and even then, the movie doesn't explain why her character has the capacity for violence or why it doesn't impact her. They don't have any story that explains the intricacies between the witch and the normal lady. The is no elaboration on why she doesn't just travel to a universe where the kids needed her because they had no other mother. Nor do the movie, at all, explain why her views shift as much at the end when her personality didn't seem to allow that at all earlier. It's just "she sees her kids and regrets her actions when she sees how they react to her". There is nothing to this, nothing. Nothing interesting at all.

Everybody can write this, everyone.

The guy in the wheelchair in Avatar who comes around to the blue folks has more depth than anything in these silly shallow Doctor Strange movies.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Come on Tams Tams , you are totally overlooking the "embedded with the indigs" nature of the Colonels plot with the main character, the furocious need for unobtanium, how the indigs managed to subvert a group of humans over to their side and resist the only place that had any air they could breathe on the dim promise of the corps saying "oh yeah, it's ok, we'll let billions of humans die to save 1 tree on a massive moon".

See, that gibberish I just said is equally as dumb as all the stuff you said about Doc Strange.

Face it, ALL of these films are shallow. But I bet there are more novel ideas in 5 of Cameron's films than in the entire 26+film run of the MCU to date.

Top Bottom