• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think will have the bigger box office..Wakanda Forever or Avatar 2?

what movie will gross more?

• Wakanda Forever

Votes: 13 17.8%

Votes: 60 82.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
both blockbuster juggernauts coming out near the end of the year. Wakanda Forever in November followed by Avatar: Way of Water in December

Wakanda Forever is riding high on the incredible box office success of the first film (which was the highest solo MCU box office until No Way Home) It also is going to attract the Hispanic population because of the Atlanteans. It's also dealing in the aftermath of Chadwick's death. It's going to be big..

Avatar 2 is of course going to be interesting as well. the first Avatar was a phenomenon, everyone and their grandmother went to see it because of the groundbreaking technology at the time. it's still one of the most impressive movies I have ever seen in theaters and still better CGI than the majority of films today. Although the overall reception of the movie is quite mixed. Still, 13 years later and James Cameron being who he is, spending all that time developing new technology. It's going to be huge,although I don't know if it will have the novelty factor that brought in so many people the first time.

My Prediction- IDK

I think Black Panther will be more front loaded while Avatar 2 will make more money overtime like the first one

BP will have the higher American gross, but Avatar will be bigger international (China effect, they are in love with Avatar)

BP's box office will no doubt be effected, only having 5 weeks before Avatar 2's release..... It's hard to say at this point.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Wow, thats a tough one. Both are sequels to VERY well-performing, VERY crowd-pleasing movies for which I don't know if the same audience will show up again the second time. Honestly, I could see them both bombing. Or surpassing the originals.

James Cameron HAS NOT MISSED. People have been waiting for his movies to bomb for decades. They haven't yet. Even though I think Avatar 2 might be his first-ever rotten tomato, I voted for it to win because of the man's track record.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Gen whatever these kids are don't even remember Avatar they were too young when it released nor do they care about it. The only ones who care are these 30-40 year old guys who splooge themselves over how much money Avatar made and root for Cameron like they root for their favorite sportsball team.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
But is this a bad thing for Avatar 2? These people will have change to see Avatar fresh and not be tied to the past as Avatar being a 3d gimmick.
Yeah but at the same time they're not going to be hyped about it. They might be mildly curious about this film that old farts (not this old fart) are splooging themselves over.

Last edited:
Wakanda Forever doesn't have a chance. Avatar 2 will do at least double.
Like 6 Billion lol.

EDIT:
You are not taking into account that Black Phanter became basically a social movement/symbol.

I think in the US the box office is going to be pretty competitive. Worldwide, Avatar 2 should win easily.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Wakanda, most comment sections for Avatar speak about how awful the first one was and their disinterest in watching another.

It could be a spectacular bomb to watch.

Like 6 Billion lol.

EDIT:
You are not taking into account that Black Phanter became basically a social movement/symbol.

I think in the US the box office is going to be pretty competitive. Worldwide, Avatar 2 should win easily.
Only in the US, not so in every other country on the world.

Hoppa

I think Avatar 2 will smash just by being able to market it as the sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time, I can imagine the advertising posters already yuck

kunonabi

I'll say Avatar sadly. After the trailer I get the feeling BP2 is going to go in the completely wrong direction and audiences aren't going to be as receptive of it as Marvel thinks. I hope I'm wrong though.

Jaybe

Avatar 2. It’s going to be a spectacle people will see even if it’s bad. If it’s actually good, it will crush and hit 1.5 to 2 bil.

BP2 will struggle to get to 1 bil. BP1 was novel, charismatic lead, dropped 2 months before Infinity War and after Spiderman HC and Thor R, when everyone was on the MCU train. Phase 4 has been a bore plus too much marvel tv saturated the public. What they do with the character could rub people the wrong way as well.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Cameron has some kind of dark magics. Like why would a 3+ hour film about a boat rich people were on have any business making over a billion dollars. Then again about weird blue cat people that fuck with thier tails make billions again. And yet years later with more advanced CG effects the movie Cats is released but is completely repulsive and creepy in its visuals.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Does anyone actually care about which bloated budget lowest common denominator shlock makes more millions at the box office?
Not especially. What I do care about is honing my future-predicting skills and this is a fun opportunity to do that, considering how similar the situation is for both sequels and how opinionated people can be about it.

Also, you're on a video game discussion forum. You ought to be used to running into debates 99% of people don't care about lol

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wakanda Forever.

Not only will Wakanda Forever be bigger than A2, it'll be the highest grossing movie of all time, easily hitting the 3bn barrier.

Reason why? Because not many films celebrate black culture and history like Black Panther. People will be all over this film.

Avatar will also make bank, but only around 2bn.

I vote Avatar 2.

The first movie was only 13 years ago. Even if someone wasn't born yet and are now old enough to enjoy a movie at the theater, I'm sure they've seen Avatar at some point. Plus the amazing looking Frontiers of Pandora game that's had a trailer for over a year.

My parents have Avatar 3D on blu ray and were blown away by it. I doubt they've ever seen a MCU movie. I've been looking forward to the sequel for years since it was left as a cliff hanger. In fact I didn't even know about the new Black Panther movie until this thread.

DKehoe

I don't really care about Avatar but considering all the shit people talk about the first one it'd be really funny if the sequel became the new highest-grossing film ever.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gen whatever these kids are don't even remember Avatar they were too young when it released nor do they care about it. The only ones who care are these 30-40 year old guys who splooge themselves over how much money Avatar made and root for Cameron like they root for their favorite sportsball team.
Good grief, it's Avatar 2, a seqyel to a film a little more than a decade old, not The Abyss 2!

Although now I wanna see the Abyss aliens flood Wakanda with their water tech :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
MCU fatigue is real and Avatar 2 has a wider appeal
I'm not sure MCU fatigue has set in for the general audience, but WF is gonna struggle I think because it doesn't have characters people as are attached to (the queen, the sister, the girlfriend). The trailer is emotional but it's a hard sell IMHO.

I feel sorta the same way about A2 but I think the appeal of the Navi is greater than the general appeal of Wakanda.

Though I suspect we will get more actiony trailers for both soon.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I'll say Avatar sadly. After the trailer I get the feeling BP2 is going to go in the completely wrong direction and audiences aren't going to be as receptive of it as Marvel thinks. I hope I'm wrong though.
Agreed its bad enough BP had so many black people and now Mexicans too!? This is where I draw the line!!! /s

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I would hope the more successful of the two isn’t the one that’s trading off the tragic death of an actor to make more cash.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Good grief, it's Avatar 2, a seqyel to a film a little more than a decade old, not The Abyss 2!

Although now I wanna see the Abyss aliens flood Wakanda with their water tech :p
Yeah and I like I said these teenagers and early 20 somethings barely remember it and don't care about it

belmarduk

Neither will reach the box office heights of their original films but Wakanda Forever will do as decently as any Marvel movie. What did Avatar 2 cost to make? It will probably do well in China at least.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Should they have just recast and keep it moving like nothing happened?
yAvi7YW.gif

Absolutely! Boseman was in 2 films with a cameo in a few others. T'challa, recast, could have been in 4-5 more films, the point where Boseman was just a footnote.

Boseman didn't create the character, he's just a hired performer.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
yAvi7YW.gif

Absolutely! Boseman was in 2 films with a cameo in a few others. T'challa, recast, could have been in 4-5 more films, the point where Boseman was just a footnote.

Boseman didn't create the character, he's just a hired performer.
I actually don't have a problem with that but they were damned if they do damned if they don't.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I actually don't have a problem with that but they were damned if they do damned if they don't.
Really? Who would have actually complained? Boseman died years ago at this point. I get not saying "Condolences to Boseman's family, AND NOW THE NEW BLACK PANTHER IS......", but if Disney had just shut up for 6 months until the emotions abated they could have announced a new T'Challa and been back on track. And by now the whole thing would just be accepted. Boseman passed, it's not like he got cancelled, quit, was fired for asking for too much money, etc. Plus Boseman KNEW he was ill, he could have "passed the torch" as it were with a simple recorded message, or his family could have done so.

To fridge the character because of the death of an actor is just....bizarre to me. It's not like retiring a roster number from a sports league, it's like eliminating the entire position the guy played and then creating a slightly different position to compensate.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Really? Who would have actually complained? Boseman died years ago at this point. I get not saying "Condolences to Boseman's family, AND NOW THE NEW BLACK PANTHER IS......", but if Disney had just shut up for 6 months until the emotions abated they could have announced a new T'Challa and been back on track. And by now the whole thing would just be accepted. Boseman passed, it's not like he got cancelled, quit, was fired for asking for too much money, etc. Plus Boseman KNEW he was ill, he could have "passed the torch" as it were with a simple recorded message, or his family could have done so.

To fridge the character because of the death of an actor is just....bizarre to me. It's not like retiring a roster number from a sports league, it's like eliminating the entire position the guy played and then creating a slightly different position to compensate.
You must be new to the internet there would have been lots of faux outrage from the blue hair pronoun people.

Top Bottom