• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visions of Forever-Gen: Quantum, Quasar and Virtual AI in Star Citizen

Rikkori

This is for all my tech-nerds out here. Combined with the UE5 stuff coming tomorrow? We feast boys! The innovation happening in the industry right now is insane! Check out the future of MMOs & of a true PC exclusive. #TheSpiritOfCrytekLivesOn

Last edited:

Rikkori

The kind of fantastic emergent gameplay this will allow:

(at 11:23) The system they're using to allow simulated NPCs to make decisions based on the value of a discovered mining deposit (that is, where the NPC should try to mine based on the quantity/accessibility/danger of the possible locations) can also be used to systemically set prices for exploration data... meaning that player explorers can find resources and sell that information to NPCs/players, but also that NPC explorers can find resources and sell that information to NPCs/players as well. And since this data will be 'physically' present on NPC ships, pirates that seize such an exploration ship and steal/hack the data will then be able to use/sell it as well.

Circling back to this thread after finding time to watch the whole video. Sad that it's DOA. They're trying to tackle THE major problem in open world type game design. The world is almost never meaningfully alive, and thus emergent gameplay doesn't really emerge. That's one of the major reasons BR took off, put 100 real players into a huge map and pit them against each other, and all sorts of emergent hijinks ensue.

I've kind of checked out on GTA, so I haven't really played through V or RDR2 yet, so I'm sure the illusion is a bit better than the older ones... but that feel when you spin your camera in a circle and all the vehicles you had just been looking at disappear and are replaced with other randomly generated cars, that aren't driving anywhere in particular, and if you do force the game to continue rendering them for more than 15 seconds they'll probably crash into something for no reason or otherwise do something that breaks the immersion.

GuinGuin

Banned
Circling back to this thread after finding time to watch the whole video. Sad that it's DOA. They're trying to tackle THE major problem in open world type game design. The world is almost never meaningfully alive, and thus emergent gameplay doesn't really emerge. That's one of the major reasons BR took off, put 100 real players into a huge map and pit them against each other, and all sorts of emergent hijinks ensue.

I've kind of checked out on GTA, so I haven't really played through V or RDR2 yet, so I'm sure the illusion is a bit better than the older ones... but that feel when you spin your camera in a circle and all the vehicles you had just been looking at disappear and are replaced with other randomly generated cars, that aren't driving anywhere in particular, and if you do force the game to continue rendering them for more than 15 seconds they'll probably crash into something for no reason or otherwise do something that breaks the immersion.

Only cyberpunk does that these days.

Blurring the lines between knowing when you're aligning or fighting with humans or NPCs. This sort of single persistent universe is really a huge chunk of future gaming online. There are so many applications from this sort of "overarching" world tech. Star Citizen continues to have my interest.

Top Bottom