• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virgin Galactic Spaceship has Crashed. AP: one pilot killed, one seriously injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A lot of people still don't grasp that learning to leave the nest, literally, involves pushing all boundaries of human survivability, technology, and grasp of physics. These things all pay dividends in the long run. Going into space isn't "just because".

It's also strangely ignorant to say there's literally nothing worthwhile in space, as just within this solar system by itself there are resources everywhere. Mastering space travel means opening up new resources, which is slightly relevant to a planet chewing through them.

The strangest thing though about moralizing "space isn't worth human lives" is that the people who put themselves in harm's way aren't slaves, or conscripts. They are not ignorant. Going into space requires a level of education and intelligence most people don't possess. They do so willingly. They've judged it's worth the risk and worth their lives. It's actually very condescending and disrespectful to those people to tell them they're wasting their time. And that those who have died did so in vain.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This whole idea from Virgin is putting the carriage before the horses. Entertainment-related space-travel should be a residual sector, but we're really far from where we should be for it to exist.

Blame lack of funding for actual commercial and scientific space ventures for this.

Fireblend

Banned
Oh and it doesn't matter if these guys were piloting a scientific station or a luxurious tourism ship for rich customers - they're pioneers, paving the way for humanity's future and expansion, and should be remembered as such.

KHarvey16

This whole idea from Virgin is putting the carriage before the horses. Entertainment-related space-travel should be a residual sector, but we're really far from where we should be for it to exist.

Blame lack of funding for actual commercial and scientific space ventures for this.

Innovation in the private sector arises from competition, and you need a market for that. Tourism is one of those markets.

Other than LEO travel, there are many materials that are cheaper and easier or just only possible to create in zero gravity. There are quite a few industrial and economic possibilities linked to reliable, manned, space flight. We're at the very beginning of the process, and those too small minded to see potential culturally, economically, industrially, scientifically, etc etc seem to me to be emotionally reactionary and lacking a sense of scale or history.

It's terrible that folks are losing their lives, of course. The real questions are did we learn anything and how can we not make the same mistakes in future? It's how we've always made progress, and it isn't about to stop now.

Enron

Banned
Some journalist who covered Virgin Galactic on cnn just said that this was VG's only spaceplane, and that they have another one that is about 20% ready or less.

Basically, this really is the end for Virgin Galactic.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Innovation in the private sector arises from competition, and you need a market for that. Tourism is one of those markets.

Innovation in the private sector arises from competition, but innovation doesn't require the private sector. There is no need to wait for the private sector to drive innovation, only an objective and government funding. Which is exactly why lack of funding by governments has led space exploration to be so far behind from where it should be, and why as a result of that the private sector is not yet in a position to involve itself in this field without excessive risk.

Kinthalis

Banned
You're okay with the human race staying on this rock for the rest of eternity?

Well, not eternity....

The Sun will cook us within the next 3 billion years as we're about half-way through the Suns' main sequence.

Not that "us" will have much meaning then. Even if our descendats are still around, they probably wouldn't resemble us very much.

StuBurns

Banned
That backpeddaling didn't take long!
How is it back-pedalling? I'm against it, as that post said.

If Virgin Galactic is benefitting space exploration in general, maybe, it might be an engineering project with nasa but as far I know it isn't.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Why not? I mean, why are they mutually exclusive to you?

they're not exclusive to me

it seems that as a country, we've begun relying only on these Private space ventures as " The Future of Space Travel".I don't think NASA even has a plan to build a new shuttle, and thid shitty Congress definitely have no interest in increasing NASA funding.

Plus those private companies involved are largely here for money. Civilian space travel right now is pure luxury.

Kinthalis

Banned

If Virgin Galactic is benefitting space exploration in general, maybe, it might be an engineering project with nasa but as far I know it isn't.

This isn't so much space travel really as it is LOE travel in order to get somewhere else on EARTH quicker. Not atmosphere = very high speed possibility.

faridmon

Agreed. Space is a waste of time.

Love your avatar.

Sad about the accidents, but I disagree on the whole being a waste. Taking advantage of the whole thing financially is kind of iffy, but we have start somewhere in order for us to actually take space travel seriously.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This isn't so much space travel really as it is LOE travel in order to get somewhere else on EARTH quicker. Not atmosphere = very high speed possibility.

Let's not pretend this is what you describe. How many passengers? At what cost? It's a roller coaster ride for a CEO, from Europe to Sidney, that ends with a cup of 5000$ bottle of wine and a selfie.

Kinthalis

Banned
Let's not pretend this is what you describe. How many passengers? At what cost? It's a roller coaster ride for a CEO, from Europe to Sidney, that ends with a cup of 5000$ bottle of wine and a selfie.

Well, sure, NOW, and in the near future. Just like atmospheric flight was at one time something only the rich or adventurous could do or would want to do.

But the hope is to improve the technology so that at some point in the future it will be a cheaper, easier thing to accomplish.

And you can't get there without first going through these stages of trial and error and limited availability, high cost, etc.

Oozer3993

Virgin Galactic has talked about a London to Sydney route.

As well as SS2, developed under Scaled Composites’ Tier 1b programme (SpaceShipOne was developed under Tier 1), Virgin Galctic’s president Will Whitehorn has spoken of a hypersonic point-to-point service. This would provide a rapid trans-Atlantic trip or the oft mooted 2h London, England to Sydney, Australia journey. - See more at: http://seradata.com/SSI/2008/02/spaceshipthree_revealed/#sthash.jtrZaUUg.dpuf

classy

How can one establish salat if they're chasing space?

JqQJBI0.gif

facepalm. that is a fundamentalist view. if anything your religion is telling you to explore, not to neglect. how do you pray when sitting on the bus, do you go on the roof and find a compass? if you ever stop over analyzing everything there are wonders that you dont know and the gifts your religion itself states are out there. Keep neglecting, those with open minds will keep progressing.

The idea that it needs to stop because you don't travel anywhere is naive, you could say jetskis need to stop as most people tend to park them where they started from.

The goal would be things like this:
http://hartzellprop.com/virgin-galactic-may-send-l-tokyo-1-hour/

I don't really understand this Washington Post reporter that keeps going on and saying that VG knew the engine would fail and that they killed her friend.

is she trying to blow the whistle on something or is this just friend loss grief?

What incredible timing. Shit.
After that rocket exploded the other day, people were pointing fingers at Galactic and Branson saying they just can't be safe enough....then 2 days later this. Wow.

Spongebob

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/JqQJBI0.gif[IMG]

facepalm. that is a fundamentalist view. if anything your religion is telling you to explore, not to neglect. how do you pray when sitting on the bus, do you go on the roof and find a compass? if you ever stop over analyzing everything there are wonders that you dont know and the gifts your religion itself states are out there. Keep neglecting, those with open minds will keep progressing.[/QUOTE]

So now I'm a "fundamentalist" for prioritizing salat above the affairs of dunya?

I'm fine with space exploration, and space travel when something is established to get to, of course, it's an inevitability. But space tourism? People dying so rich people can float for an hour, no.
People die cliff diving and hot air ballooning and surfing too, so?

So now I'm a "fundamentalist" for prioritizing salat above the affairs of dunya?

You are hardline in your view that you cannot conceive that prayer CAN happen anywhere you are. stop treating it like a brick and start treating it like water which can touch anything and applied to anything.

Spongebob

Banned
You are hardline in your view that you cannot conceive that prayer CAN happen anywhere you are. stop treating it like a brick and start treating it like water which can touch anything and applied to anything.
Bro, some of us actually are trying to adhere to the Qur'an and Sunnah. If you don't like that, that's okay, but please stop trying to introduce bid'ah into this deen.

You pretty much just defined fundamentalism.

What I defined is a Muslim. Everyone else is either transgressing the balance or falling short of it.

3phemeral

No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application.
Isn't one of the most practical applications of orbital space travel the idea that you can get almost anywhere in Earth in as little as 90 minutes?

Well thats the end of that experiment. RIP to the pilot

Nope, the Apollo program had its setbacks and we still made it to the Moon. I met Burt Rutan back int he Voyager aircraft days (fly around the world non stop on one tank of gas) and this will be a terrible experience, but one that will lead to a stronger and safer program.

I don't really understand this Washington Post reporter that keeps going on and saying that VG knew the engine would fail and that they killed her friend.

is she trying to blow the whistle on something or is this just friend loss grief?

It certainly sounds that way. I feel absolutely horrible for her loss, but there will be channels and processes to go through if she legitimately thinks they put the life of one of their staff in danger knowingly.

This is corporations battling for a monopoly in a potential multi-billion dollar industry in the next few decades. This won't phase them. If it was NASA, however then I would be concerned about the future plans.

entremet

RIP.

Really sad someone died, but any student of history knows that many new endeavors sometimes take human life sadly. We've lived in pretty prosperous times if you're from the first world.

But you don't want to know the death tolls for things like the Brooklyn Bridge and Golden State Bridge for example.

Wait, what? For real?

Definitely.

These are spaceships, bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom