• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virgin Galactic Spaceship has Crashed. AP: one pilot killed, one seriously injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this thing is being tested/developed at the moment. Its purpose is to enable space tourism. You could buy 100k tickets to travel 'into space'.

But even that. How is this grounds for not pursuing it. Utter bullshit.

Oh wow. This is a thing already? I would love to do this... when it feels safe enough.

How far up do you go!?

Makes you wonder if it really happened doesn't it.

Can you confirm if you are joking or not? It's really bothering me

Vinci

Danish
This is bad news, but to suggest that it should put a form into space travel and its further development? That's ridiculous. It absolutely must push forward in any way possible. We cannot remain confined on this planet indefinitely.

Sephzilla

Makes you wonder if it really happened doesn't it.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

It's a pretty depressing thing to say, but space travel needs to stop outright.

Hope for the best for the pilots, but I would be surprised if they made it.

Replace this with pretty much any high risk form of travel that is now common place to us, and you might realise how utterly crazy you sound man.

Latest image

B1TBkVAIgAArrAz.jpg

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/528259886455750658/photo/1

For those saying that pushing new technology, research and ideas should be stopped due to risks then how do you imagine we've got everything we do today without such risks? You can fly to the other side of the planet, lots of people lost their lives to make that viable with modern aviation. A part of what Virgin Galactic is trying to do here is to also enable faster travel on Earth, it would enable us to fly to the opposite side of the world in less than 2 hours in theory, where as a commercial flight could take you a 16+ hour flight. It's called point-to-point suborbital travel, it would allow a flight from Central Europe to Sydney in around ~2 hours. So yeah, pushing new frontiers/tech is not a risk-free environment, it's the complete opposite. Humanity only progresses that way, otherwise we would still be in the caves.

Damn it. Hope that they find out what happened, and make the next ship safer because of it.

The private space industry has taken some lumps this week, but if you know about the steady string of absolute failure on both sides of the space race at the beginning, then you know this is par for the course.

Space travel is pointless until we actually have a place to go, which is why most of the money today is going into satellites. That is where the excitement is right now.

StuBurns

Banned
Replace this with pretty much any high risk form of travel that is now common place to us, and you might realise how utterly crazy you sound man.
No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application. If there were cities in Europa or something, sure, you'd need to use a spaceship to get there, but there isn't.

The whole 'pushing the boundaries' thing only applies when there is a tangible result. Establishing the US is a meaningful, impactful goal, so lives lost towards that goal have a sacrificial value. Leaving the atmosphere for the sake of doing it isn't worth even a single life, let alone how many it's taken, and will continue to.

And yes, everyone will have their own value of human life. Some people would choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike too, but if it was my decision, manned space travel would be over, long over actually.

plasmasd

Stopping space travel. That's just stupid.

If anything its all we should be focused on. The only way to guarantee the future of the human race is to spread us out across the galaxy. Focusing just on this planet is myopic. We have around 50 years left of easily extractable oil. I can't find the graphs, but I think there are several other natural resources that will be hard to mine by the end of the century as well. Time could be limited for rapid scientific advances.

It only takes one cataclysmic event to wipe us out completely. Look at some of the craters on this planet, or the stuff that has hit Jupiter recently. One of those hits earth and were history.

Space travel is pointless until we actually have a place to go, which is why most of the money today is going into satellites. That is where the excitement is right now.

Not really true, part of making LEO viable commercially would enable point-to-point suborbital travel like I outlined in my above post, which would mean you could go from any place in Central Europe to Australia in ~2 hours - completely changing traditional aviation, which is what Virgin Galactic aims to achieve. The biggest part of the industry right now is actually making LEO commercially viable and privatised, and as I repeat, which is basically Virgin's main goal, as well as SpaceX.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

We could try, I dunno, the shit in our own solar system first.

Blader

No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application. If there were cities in Europa or something, sure, you'd need to use a spaceship to get there, but there isn't.

But how would you establish a city in Europa without space travel first...?

There are tangible benefits -- predominantly energy ones -- to creating permanent establishments in space. But to do that, we need to get up there.

The whole 'pushing the boundaries' thing only applies when there is a tangible result. Establishing the US is a meaningful, impactful goal, so lives lost towards that goal have a sacrificial value. Leaving the atmosphere for the sake of doing it isn't worth even a single life, let alone how many it's taken, and will continue to.

And yes, everyone will have their own value of human life. Some people would choose not to wear a helmet when riding a motorbike too, but if it was my decision, manned space travel would be over, long over actually.

You're okay with the human race staying on this rock for the rest of eternity?

It's a pretty depressing thing to say, but space travel needs to stop outright.

I just don't know, man... How does a sane person respond to this? I might be inclined to write something similar as a joke, but it didn't come off that way. Hope it was though, because if you're serious then that is the most depressing thing in this thread.

edit... just read your post just above. I think your viewpoints on space travel are narrow and silly.

And we never will if we don't, like, leave.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I'm pretty sure thats not why anyone is interested in space travel. Particularly private industry.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Glad you aren't in charge. Space study, travel, and exploration are what will keep our species going long into the future. What happens when Earth runs out of non-renewable energy? What happens when, to get precious metals, we need to mine asteroids? What happens when the planet overpopulation becomes a crisis? If we can have a meaningful way to travel in space, and even a destination in which to start future colonies we can benefit from it to a huge degree.

If you stop now, you place and even bigger stress on the future of mankind.

StuBurns

Banned
You're okay with the human race staying on this rock for the rest of eternity?
I'm fine with space exploration, and space travel when something is established to get to, of course, it's an inevitability. But space tourism? People dying so rich people can float for an hour, no.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
And this is what will kill space exploration and imprison us on Earth.

The headlines and the grumpy, short-sighted politicians will take over from this point, and essentially kill all hope of a proper space program.

cdyhybrid

Sad. I wonder how preventable this sort of thing really could have been, though I'm sure it could have been prepared better. Space travel is so difficult even when you've done it regularly, but it's relatively new for these private companies and NASA is only starting to get back into the swing of it.

No, it's not. Every other form of transport exists to get you somewhere, space travel exists purely for the traveling, it has no practical application.
shepard-is-displeased-o.gif

I've seen you say some weird shit in Gaming, but this takes the biscuit. I just... I can't. You remember that Spongebob episode when he refused to leave his house because he broke his ass? He got out of there by the end of the episode. You can't be afraid to venture outside of your pineapple because of sea-bear attacks.

And this is what will kill space exploration and imprison us on Earth.

The headlines and the grumpy, short-sighted politicians will take over from this point, and essentially kill all hope of a proper space program.

Said those after the 3 pilots burnt to death in a test flight by nasa in 60s

scientists don't give up due to one failure. There will be space travel in my lifetime at least

I'm fine with space exploration, and space travel when something is established to get to, of course, it's an inevitability. But space tourism? People dying so rich people can float for an hour, no.

Oh, so you're just talking about space tourism and not manned space flight in general? I can agree with the fact that we are not ready for a space tourism industry.

Rip.

leaving the bonds of earth isn't an easy task.

We have lost many in the pursuit of space flight and we will continue to do so.

"Ad astra per aspera"

This is backwards thinking. The only way to make someplace to go is to plot the path, make the trail, or pave the road to get there. Mining the Moon and asteroids, travel to Mars and beyond, all require a way for us to normalize travel to orbit, thus making launch platforms and material transport practical.

Good thing you're not in charge of this, to be frank.

Fireblend

Banned

You realize natural resources will eventually run out, right? Those are your tangible results. Establishing outposts outside Earth, have access to more resources... how is "Establishing the US" as you put it any different? It was also a push for expansion of the human race. Humanity cannot sustain itself indefinitely without venturing out. You'd rather stagnate here on Earth? Such a simplistic view. Space exploration is of incredible, practical value for everyone.

http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/10-tech-breakthroughs-to-thank-the-space-race-for-617847
http://spaceracehistory.tripod.com/spin.shtml
http://spinoff.nasa.gov/apollo.htm

Just some of the many technological developments you enjoy today thanks to space exploration.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

stuburns...just...no.....you do know there was a time when everyone thought the world was flat and you would sail off into hell, right? until someone actually had the balls to travel and discovered more land?

Konka

Banned

People die daily doing much more mundane shit.

Waaghals

So, assuming high risk, we should never travel anywhere unless there are people there already?

This may come as a shock to you, but explorers did not set sail across the Atlantic ocean to found the United States of America.

They did it to sate their personal wish for exploration, getting rich or simple megalomania. While these expeditions probably were sold to various kings and queens as sure fire way to make money and claim land, the pay off of these expeditions was very uncertain at the time, and they did put many more lives at stake than any space programme.

While there have been some tragedies in space, it is hardly the black plague in terms of casualties.

Now, I can understand being against space travel because you believe we should deal with Earth-based problems first, but the position you have staked out is unreasonable.

Jackpot

Banned
This is backwards thinking. The only way to make someplace to go is to plot the path, make the trail, or pave the road to get there. Mining the Moon and asteroids, travel to Mars and beyond, all require a way for us to normalize travel to orbit, thus making launch platforms and material transport practical.

Good thing you're not in charge of this, to be frank.

Not to mention sub-orbital travel could take the time from London to Sydney down to 2 hours.

Blader

That backpeddaling didn't take long!

Space tourism in and of itself might be less than practical... but its purpose is that it gives space companies and agencies a product to sell to rich people so they can make money and justify the cost of R&D on new vehicles.

Kinyou

shepard-is-displeased-o.gif

I've seen you say some weird shit in Gaming, but this takes the biscuit. I just... I can't. You remember that Spongebob episode when he refused to leave his house because he broke his ass? He got out of there by the end of the episode. You can't be afraid to venture outside of your pineapple because of sea-bear attacks.
Who knew that Spongebob has hidden pro-Nasa messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom