• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces a new portable, Steam Deck

FranXico

I had that happened to me even though my account is 7 years old and all I did was refresh it and it allowed me to put in my preorder.
Yeah, same here. Thanks for the tip. Could follow through after a refresh. I have an account since Half-Life 2 came out!

I90m2cB.jpg

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Exclusives do not benefit consumers in any way.

Definitely not moneyhatted exclusives, that I'll agree with. But if Sony wasn't a platform holder making exclusive games for their own platforms, would we get those AAAA games that most people agree are a step or two above what most 3rd party multiplatform devs are capable of?

Last edited:

packy34

They do. Just don't think about it in a console warrior way. They focus devs on one platform that's geared to do a few things really well. When an exclusive game uses that system's ability to the full, it can be a better game.
By this logic, every game on PC should be objectively worse than all console exclusive titles, and that's just not the case. It's true that optimization is a bit easier for console specs, but that's as far as it goes.

Last edited:

Shakka43

I just hope it can run Yuzu decently by the time it launches. I put aside the money I was gonna use on a Switch OLED for this.

cametall

Pre-orders went up at 12:59pm EST on Steam. Got my order confirmation email at 1pm. I went for the 256 model, maybe that was easier to get that moment. At the last second I decided against the 512.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I can't wait until people start getting pissed of at the horrendous load times trying to play AAA PC games off of a SD card :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I'm using the Xbox series X for the AAA games. I'm mainly using this for new indies and older PC games that you cannot play on consoles. I'm looking forward to playing titles again like Enclave, Stonekeep, Phantasmagoria, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Tex Murphy Tesla Effect, Wizardry 8....etc.....

Derktron

Banned
Yeah, same here. Thanks for the tip. Could follow through after a refresh. I have an account since Half-Life 2 came out!

I90m2cB.jpg
Nice my dude, this is the first time since I was able to get a gaming console without any issues, kind of feels good to be honest, unlike the shit show that was for the PS5 and Series X/S.

Scalpers have already flooded Ebay....$2000+ for 512 and $1000+ for 256........figures
i thought you could only post something if it was within 30 days of release? should report all the listings to ebay lol. also i think steam is going to keep taking reservations so everyone can eventually get one just in a Q system.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
i thought you could only post something if it was within 30 days of release? should report all the listings to ebay lol. also i think steam is going to keep taking reservations so everyone can eventually get one just in a Q system.
I don't know. If that's true then they should all be banned

SCB3

One question I've not seen answered, does it support hot swapping of SD cards? Like I have a couple of 256gb ones around from when I used them on my Switch, can I install a bunch of games on each one and plug them in whenever? Or is it going to make me format them?

I don't know why I'm so excited for it lol i Have all 3 consoles and a decent PC, but being out on a nice day with this for a few hours on say Destiny or Warframe is gonna feel nice

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
By this logic, every game on PC should be objectively worse than all console exclusive titles, and that's just not the case. It's true that optimization is a bit easier for console specs, but that's as far as it goes.

Financial resources also. I know some guys on GAF and in general don't want to admit it, but video games is a business first and foremost. It's fun for us, because aren't funding and making the games. But it's first a business for publishers. There's a reason as to way some indie teams develop on one console first when making the game. And it's more than just optimization. At some point you run out of money to support other systems.

Plus some systems have things unique to it, that work best for that platform. Some Wii games were best if they were ONLY on the Wii and not recreated for the PS3 and 360.

Well, no idea as to how many units make up each "wave" of shipments, but it looks like in the US, the 256GB model has been selling well (although Valve may have simply allotted fewer of the mid-range model if they expected most to either go 64GB or 512GB), as it is the only one that is saying Q2. And I also see that I got my 512GB bumped to Q1. :(

dMB1kCBl.png

Last edited:

Kupfer

Well, no idea as to how many units make up each "wave" of shipments, but it looks like in the US, the 256GB model has been selling well (although Valve may have simply allotted fewer of the mid-range model if they expected most to either go 64GB or 512GB), as it is the only one that is saying Q2. And I also see that I got my 512GB bumped to Q1. :(

dMB1kCBl.png
hXRDea4.jpg

Seems like EU is not interested in the "cheap" model at all.

Rob_27

I ordered one.

Was just looking at requirements for games. I'm a little confused. Doesn't take a lot.

For example I was thinking Dead Space in bed with headphones etc.

I presume the requirements will be updated for steam deck. Or it will have its own version? As currently its Windows only?

I haven't been using steam for years so not up in the know how..

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® XP SP2 or Vista
  • Processor: 2.8 GHz or faster
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM or more for Windows XP (2 GB for Vista)
  • Graphics: DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required, 256 MB or better, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements), ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
  • Hard Drive: 7.5 GB free space
  • Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card

reksveks

I ordered one.

Was just looking at requirements for games. I'm a little confused. Doesn't take a lot.

For example I was thinking Dead Space in bed with headphones etc.

I presume the requirements will be updated for steam deck. Or it will have its own version? As currently its Windows only?

I haven't been using steam for years so not up in the know how..

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS​

• Supported OS: Microsoft Windows® XP SP2 or Vista
  • Processor: 2.8 GHz or faster
  • Memory: 1 GB RAM or more for Windows XP (2 GB for Vista)
  • Graphics: DirectX® 9.0c compatible video card, Shader Model 3.0 required, 256 MB or better, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or better (7300, 7600 GS, and 8500 are below minimum system requirements), ATI X1600 Pro or better (X1300, X1300 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
  • Hard Drive: 7.5 GB free space
  • Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card
Should be fine, someone link the person to the protondb site.

Top Bottom