• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US to ban laptops in all cabins of flights from Europe

Oppo

that's totally insane.

I avoided the USA during all of the Bush (jr) years but jesus, I wasn't worried about losing my actual electronics. makes the choice not only easy but actually necessary.

I guess Trump wants to kill the US tourism industry. I wonder how much this affects the GDP.

Also, will I be safe if I travel to the UK by going US > Canada > Europe and vice versa?

How else can you fill all those new coal jobs that are coming if you don't get rid of some useless industries and free up workers?

iammeiam

The funny trhing is: at least in Europe, you already can't put anything with a Lithium battery in the hold. So this would mean you can't transport anything with a battery when you fly.
No way in hell this goes down.

This is somehow going to lead to people checking their laptops while taking the batteries into the flight cabin, because I'm willing to believe the Trump admin is that dumb.

Trump's support base is primarily rural whites across the income spectrum. "Liberal Elite" to them = "City person/minority"

To them the tourism industry is already dead because who the heck goes to visit those places for fun and leisure?

"Ooh I took my only two weeks of vacation this year to visit Appalachia" said no one ever.

Jisgsaw

This is somehow going to lead to people checking their laptops while taking the batteries into the flight cabin, because I'm willing to believe the Trump admin is that dumb.

I actually tiped that down, but deleted it before posting because it sounded too dumb.
But yeah, thinking about it, it's actually something this administration could do...

Then again, good luck to take out your battery from your iPad...

I was contemplating, despite all the bullshit, making a visit to the States this summer as I haven't been there in over 15 years but nah, fuck that now.

The funny trhing is: at least in Europe, you already can't put anything with a Lithium battery in the hold. So this would mean you can't transport anything with a battery when you fly.
No way in hell this goes down.
I checked this: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/passengers/dangerous-goods#lithium-batteries
And it's only external/spare lithium ion batteries like the rest of the world. Built in batteries are fine.

Also how are we supposed to remove a battery, from let's say, a MacBookPro (iFixit gave it a reparability of 1)? Most laptops within these 5-6 years have no removable battery.

Fingers Crossed this is just from a selected few sources and just rumors. I don't know any of the speed-reporting news sources, so unsure about their credibility. The regulations are getting ridiculous. At this rate, they'll just ban all sorts of hand-carry luggage (and checked-in ones too).

Fbh

Well that sucks. Ever for people that don't use laptops and tablets during the flight since you now have to put them in your checked in baggage (I still don't get how that's going to prevent the bomb from taking down the plane) which is just increasing the chances of it getting broken or stolen by like 800%

Jisgsaw

I checked this: https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-you/passengers/dangerous-goods#lithium-batteries
And it's only external/spare lithium ion batteries like the rest of the world. Built in batteries are fine.

"You should carry your portable electronic devices (PEDs, such as cameras, laptops and phones) in your hand baggage (carry-on), and not in your checked baggage."

Right, it's only a recommendation, I forgot. Theey sure don't make it sound like just a recommendation at the check in though.

HeatBoost

I realize that this is a DHS and TSA thing, and not a thing about the airlines, but is flying in the rest of the world less... nightmarish? Like if you take a trip from Japan to OZ, or Germany to Brazil or whatever, is it the exercise in irritation that is in the when the US is involved?

The FAA recorded 33 incidents in 2016 of personal electronic devices carried into cabins by passengers causing fire emergencies during flights

That's pretty alarming.

So now those fires would happen in the cargo hold instead?...

I realize that this is a DHS and TSA thing, and not a thing about the airlines, but is flying in the rest of the world less... nightmarish? Like if you take a trip from Japan to OZ, or Germany to Brazil or whatever, is it the exercise in irritation that is in the when the US is involved?

From my experiences: Flights to US require you to scan your check-ins twice, the usual one with machines, and they check your bags again near the gates (you open them, and they look/feel around). Because of this extra check, you have to arrive earlier and line up for it. You don't have to remove your shoes through the metal detector, no 360˚ full body scan machine. Also most immigration/airport security people outside US are much more friendly. It's always so tense at US airports. :p

Sunster

has any bomb ever been found in a laptop? or is all this just based on the theory that it's possible? if that's the case, why not ban all electronics? fuck it, no more carry ons.

grumpy

I was planning a trip to the US since last year to visit some relatives but I refuse to bring any of my tourist eurodollars over and support in any way shape or form the economy of trumpland. This just cements my decision.

From my experiences: Flights to US require you to scan your check-ins twice, the usual one with machines, and they check your bags again near the gates (you open them, and they look/feel around). Because of this extra check, you have to arrive earlier and line up for it. You don't have to remove your shoes through the metal detector, no 360˚ full body scan machine. Also most immigration/airport security people outside US are much more friendly. It's always so tense at US airports. :p
Not long ago, somebody was taking off their shoes for the X-Ray thing and the Security guy says "no need, this is not America!" The paranoia is seen as a joke here in Europe.

Tigress

This post literally makes no sense... So are liberals the only people who make money off tourism?

I'm going to bet more liberal areas will be hurt by this than conservative areas. Think of what is stereotypically conservative and which is stereotypically liberal. In general, a lot of conservative areas are considered, "Fly-over" and most of the big tourist spots are in more liberal areas of the country.

Sure, I bet some conservatives hurt too, but I would not be surprised at all if it is disproportionately liberal areas that hurt from this rule (particularly states taht voted Clinton). And I could totally see Trump and Trump's supporters thinking this is great cause they get to hurt those who dared not vote Trump.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I can live without using my laptop for eight hours, but forcing me to check bags is actually worse in my experience. I haven't lost a bag in a decade, because I only take carry on. There goes that record.

Now I literally have to consider more redeyes.

Osahi

If I'm not mistaken, you can't take spare lithium batteries with you on European flights, only batteries attached to a device. (I can be wrong and it can be only a rule for check in lugage, but I thought I saw it for carry-on too when I flew yesterday)

Edit: should have scrolled trough the topic more before posting. Just saw someone linking to regulations. Still have the feeling that certain airlines prohibit spare batteries though, as I can't shake the idea I saw this warning while checking in.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's nice to know that those long queues for security checks on you and your hand luggage are fucking useless according to American government.

Top Bottom