• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US to ban laptops in all cabins of flights from Europe

Just saw this come through. From the Daily Beast (I know...):

The Department of Homeland Security will ban laptops in the cabins of all flights from Europe to the United States, European security officials told The Daily Beast. The announcement is expected Thursday.

Initially a ban on laptops and tablets was applied only to U.S.-bound flights from 10 airports in North Africa and the Middle East. The ban was based on U.S. fears that terrorists have found a way to convert laptops into bombs capable of bringing down an airplane. It is unclear if the European ban will also apply to tablets.

DHS said in a statement to The Daily Beast:

”No final decisions have been made on expanding the restriction on large electronic devices in aircraft cabins; however, it is under consideration. DHS continues to evaluate the threat environment and will make changes when necessary to keep air travelers safe."

However, this move is increasing fears in the aviation industry that as well as guarding against bombs this ban could actually endanger flights. Laptops and tablets denied access to the cabin and added to checked baggage means that devices with a history of lithium-ion battery fires could set off a deadly conflagration in a cargo hold.

The FAA recorded 33 incidents in 2016 of personal electronic devices carried into cabins by passengers causing fire emergencies during flights, according to an FAA document reviewed by The Daily Beast. Of these, three were in laptops and two in tablets.

More here: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...-laptops-in-all-cabins-of-flights-from-europe

I can't believe this is what it's come to.

Please wait with this until after E3 so I don't have to pay for a ton of broken laptops. Thanks.

Bullshit rule through. And a disaster for business travel.

Well I'm​ never trusting airline services with my expensive electronics in the hold so I guess America is off the travel list for a long time now

Hopefully no other countries adopt this policy..

Not

Banned
Ugh. Hope this isn't the first step for anything else.

Five bucks says airlines don't like us bringing in our own entertainment.

Ogodei

Meh, nowadays my laptop doesn't have anything too precious on it (now that i've moved away from laptop-only and to a desktop/notebook combo, and the notebook's basically just for web-browsing with an actual keyboard on the go), so i wouldn't get too chewed up by having to check it with the risks that entails.

If i were still running anything important on there? Damn.

Xando

This huge fear of terrorism while completely ignoring the thousands of dead by gun violence is very fascinating as a non american.

Sacrificing so much for such a small threat.

Not

Banned
This huge fear of terrorism while completely ignoring the thousands of dead by gun violence is very fascinating as a non american.

Our hardworking American security and gun industries need protection

If they're worried about a laptop bomb bringing down a plane, what difference does it make whether it's in the cabin or in the luggage vestibule? I don't get it.

border

So I guess no iPads or Switches either?

That's insane. I can't imagine how this is going to completely fuck up the security screening process, at least initially.

bag_check.png

Goddamn it Randall.

gun violence is pretty much "normalized" here in the states

one boob though? "Oh somebody, please think of the children!"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is legitimately scary to me. I have to carry the laptop with me for work. It's an expensive piece of equipment that I by no means would ever in my worst nightmares consider putting into a checked luggage, seeing how that luggage is handled and how mangled it gets so often, or lost/stolen. I guess it's safer for me to just buy another cheap laptop when I'm at the destination, and work remotely.

Not

Banned
gun violence is pretty much "normalized" here in the states

one boob though? "Oh somebody, please think of the children!"

Sandy Hook and San Bernardino? Flint? Not a peep. They don't give a flying fuck about kids' lives. Just controlling women and maintaining white supremacy and arms industries.

Top Bottom