• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

Moochi

Anybody got a 4k download link? I'm way out in the country with only mobile, but I want to watch it on the bigscreen :)

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Textures are 8k though. Frame is 1400p and temporal injection to 4k which looks as clean as native . Play ratchet and clank on 4k TV and u ll see
Actually i dont think the quality is as clean. I noticed artifacting in motion, initially thought it was 4K YT compression, but once i heard it is running 1440p, i knew it. 🤷‍♀️

Ascend

This is good advertising for the PS5, even though technically, this tech will most likely not be limited to the PS5 at all. It is a generic engine after all...

Journey

Banned
If Microsoft had showed that instead of those “indie lower than current gen” show case.

Ha Ha, seriously! They could've just showed that and no other games and everyone would have been super excited with no complaints whatsoever, so why didn't MS do this?

My theory is that they're trying to take the humble sort of Xbox 360 approach. If anyone remembers them showing off initial games like Full Auto, GUN, and other REAL games, while Sony showed off Gundam Crossfire, Killzone and Motorstorm tech demos, actually those weren't even tech demos, but CG trailers, but still, MS and its Xbox 360 had a similar reception where gamers were left wondering what was so next gen about Full Auto, leaving only their Gears of War demo looking anything close to what we were expecting from that current gen, oh and Fight Night Round 3, but that was showcased on the PS3 at the time.

psorcerer

Banned
OMG. Are you serious? You criticize Epic's engine every chance you can. Why are you now switching sides? And this demo has nothing to do with SSD. This demo is for every platform.

I'm criticizing bad parts and praising good parts, I know it sounds impossible, but here we are...

Paracelsus

P4AkaPO.png

The Last of Us 3 will be CGI-like with angry people screaming and punching each other across a crevice.

Well that explains a lot. Devkits are usually just PCs before finalizing whole thing. Devkits themselves usually have double or triple amount of RAM/VRAM than normal version due to development needs and hardware is usually better than release version.

I was talking about when it came out of that device before this scene. There is slight light here though which could mean i was wrong.

Totally understand, but the lighting is there

giphy.gif

Because of the speed of the SSDs in next gen consoles, there's less need to keep assets resident in RAM. You can actually browse some of the assets used to make the environment for this demo here: https://quixel.com/megascans/collec...nt&category=natural&category=limestone-quarry

Even the large, 8k rock cliff assets don't take up more than 1-2MB.

G-Bus

Banned
Damn. Going to be a more noticeable leap than PS3 to PS4 isn't it.

This things going to be expensive :(

VFXVeteran

Banned
Maybe he's a Quake fan?

But yes, it has a ton to do with SSDs. They spent the entire video talking about how it is only possible due to the SSDs.

There you go again speaking out of the sky. Trust me. The PC has been able to run this demo for a long time. It's not just created because they got PS5 devkits in the house and finally said "oh we can finally make a demo that showcases nanite technology because we have Sony's SSD!"

Stop with the SSD crap. This is a demo for showcasing a graphics engine. Period. It will run on the PC without any SSD - and faster and at higher resolution.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There you go again speaking out of the sky. Trust me. The PC has been able to run this demo for a long time. It's not just created because they got PS5 devkits in the house and finally said "oh we can finally make a demo that showcases nanite technology because we have Sony's SSD!"

Stop with the SSD crap. This is a demo for showcasing a graphics engine. Period. It will run on the PC without any SSD - and faster and at higher resolution.

Are you saying that whole level was loaded into the PS5's VRAM?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Are you saying that whole level was loaded into the PS5's VRAM?

No, I'm not saying that. I don't know how big the level is. There are tons and tons of instances in that demo. You guys are aware that an instanced piece of geometry duplicated 1000x only consumes memory for that 1 unique piece of geometry. I saw frame-hitches in that demo so the SSD still isn't fast enough.

I'm also saying that demo can and has run on a PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

What the fuck are you talking about? Just watch the damned video, you are such a clown show sometimes.

They spend 90% of the video talking about it only being possible due to the SSD setups, that even his current high end rig could not do this, and their Nanite and the like shown, is only possible on next gen consoles and future high end PCs when the SSDs come up to snuff.

WATCH THE VIDEO!

The dude called it 'God-Tier storage'. Take it up with the man himself.

Last edited:

gaming_noob

Uninspiring demo. I know technically this is supposed to be awesome but I’m not appreciating the detail. I’ve realized that sometimes less is more. Now I know why I keep going back to Nintendo games.

Reactions: fse

Jon Neu

Banned
It's actual gameplay in real time, the other demos were not. I think it's more impressive than their past video card demos. Especially the geometry detail with that draw distance and no loss to LOD or pop-in.

If you want to showcase graphics, you shouldn’t do it with such a crappy character with the blandest artistic direction and gameplay.

Seeing how the character does the “going slowly through a wall for loading purposes” is anything but impressive. Especially in a gameplay with zero enemies and pretty empty scenarios.

The amount of triangles is good and all, but is almost the definition of diminishing returns.

I’m sure the tech is good. And I’m sure we are going to see better looking games in the near future.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you want to showcase graphics, you shouldn’t do it with such a crappy character with the blandest artistic direction and gameplay.

Seeing how the character does the “going slowly through a wall for loading purposes” is anything but impressive. Especially in a gameplay with zero enemies and pretty empty scenarios.

The amount of triangles is good and all, but is almost the definition of diminishing returns.

I’m sure the tech is good. And I’m sure we are going to see better looking games in the near future.

K

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, I'm not saying that. I don't know how big the level is. There are tons and tons of instances in that demo. You guys are aware that an instanced piece of geometry duplicated 1000x only consumes memory for that 1 unique piece of geometry. I saw frame-hitches in that demo so the SSD still isn't fast enough.

Oh, yeah, of course they have it running better on a PC, but I still doubt we could have had that same demo on PS5 if it were using an HDD from a PS4, for example.

Breakage

ia improvement is in the back seat since og xbox and halo1\fear1 era...cinematic experience has nothing to do with it.
FEAR is a 360 title. The big games (by big I mean those AAA over-the-shoulder third-person games with film-like visuals) and are becoming more like interactive movies with each generation. Highly aggressive AI becomes problematic when you want to tell a story that rivals Hollywood. I was not surprised to hear the complaints about Death Stranding's lack of difficulty. Even Kojima himself has said he wants to fuse games with movies. Fundamentally these games will be designed with the cinematic experience in mind.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck are you talking about? Just watch the damned video, you are such a clown show sometimes.

They spend 90% of the video talking about it only being possible due to the SSD setups, that even his current high end rig could not do this, and their Nanite and the like shown, is only possible on next gen consoles and future high end PCs when the SSDs come up to snuff.

WATCH THE VIDEO!

The dude called it 'God-Tier storage'. Take it up with the man himself.

I don't necessarily disbelieve him on this, but it's worth noting that Tim Sweeney is a chronic bullshitter and salesman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dontero

Banned
Totally understand, but the lighting is there

giphy.gif

Thanks for the info about asset stuff.

As for lighting look at the hand when it blows up. Hand visibly glow but glow does not fall on device. So clearly they are picking and choosing what has dynamic light and what doesn't. Real time GI is eitherway amazing. Hope it will become a standard like PBR when on current gen tech.

kyoji

Isnt fast enough? or optimized enough? I would think the later, still need to see more which im sure we will, nontheless it looks good for a baseline imo. Also i just want to add that i see frame hiccups and hitches in pc gaming all the time, or games that run like trash, does that mean the hardware isnt capable?

I know you didnt say ps5 wasnt but my point is maybe just maybe it isnt optimized... I'm pretty sure I heard epic mention doing this in only a handful of months. thats pretty good for a playable tech demo.

VFXVeteran

Banned

They spend 90% of the video talking about it only being possible due to the SSD setups, that even his current high end rig could not do this, and their Nanite and the like is only possible on next gen consoles and future high end PCs when the SSDs come up to snuff.

WATCH THE VIDEO!

Dude, the guy Jason walked him into saying that about the PS5. The assets are compressed! They are taken in raw, but that's not what the GPU is processing. The other thing is that, the PS5 may need an SSD in order to make it happen, but that doesn't mean a PC ALSO needs an SSD. I can guarantee you that that demo can run on a PC with NO SSD.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude, the guy Jason walked him into saying that about the PS5. The assets are compressed! They are taken in raw, but that's not what the GPU is processing. The other thing is that, the PS5 may need an SSD in order to make it happen, but that doesn't mean a PC ALSO needs an SSD. I can guarantee you that that demo can run on a PC with NO SSD.

You didn't watch the video. Got it.

GymWolf

FEAR is a 360 title. The big games (by big I mean those AAA over-the-shoulder third-person games with film-like visuals) and are becoming more like interactive movies with each generation. Highly aggressive AI becomes problematic when you want to tell a story that rivals Hollywood. I was not surprised to hear the complaints about Death Stranding's lack of difficulty. Even Kojima himself has said he wants to fuse games with movies. Fundamentally these games will be designed with the cinematic experience in mind.
there is no logic behind this statement.

even in highly cinematic game you still have gamey combat sections with enough big areas to permit smart strategies for the enemy ia, the fact that we don't have better ia since halo\fear era is a mix of 3 factors:

-ia is even harder to sell than 60 frames so devs don't put much work into it
-realistic and stratified ia is probably the most difficult thing to achieve in modern gaming because it can glitch at any time if not perfectlly programmed and it's also very time consuming for devs (and we return to point 1, why wasting time on something that doesn't sell to the masses?)
-cpu were pretty shitty in every console and they use all the cpu power for other things

open world games are far less cinematic and even the more gamey titles during the "free the enemy camp" type of missions still have moronic IA, both for stealth and combat.

death strandind has a big number of cutscenes at the beginning and at the end but the middle part is very gameplay focused, that is not the reason why he has poor ia.
mgs2 was even more cinematic and stricted than DS and enemy soldier have far better IA and coordination than DS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom