• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord Details Quests, Town Rebuilding, Mock Battles & Mining Minigame

unicorn_overlord.webp

In the November 30 issue, #1824 of the weekly Famitsu magazine, Atlus and Vanillaware unveiled new information for their upcoming tactical JRPG Unicorn Overlord.

Various details are provided, such as the many types of quests, town reconstruction, and the mining minigame.

You can view a translation of the gameplay information below via our team’s Ryuji:
Field Quests

The main appeal of Unicorn Overlord is its free exploration. With a few exceptions, the player can go to many places from the beginning of the game, and it is up to them to decide how to proceed. There are many sub-quests and training elements scattered across the map. Some quests are very unique, such as catching chickens on the field.
Quests

Quests are divided into four types: Main Quests, Sub Quests, Field Quests and Liberation Quests:

• Main Quests advance the story when completed.
  • Sub Quests trigger by talking to NPCs.
  • Liberation Quests are towns you have to liberate by defeating the enemies.
  • Field Quests trigger while on the field, with a conversation event happening to indicate such. (An example shown in the magazine is a character saying, “Please help! Can you save my village?”)
Accepted quests are added to a list that provides comprehensive details such as the quest description, location, and recommended level.
Liberation and Restoration

After you’ve defeated all of the enemies, the town will be liberated, and doing so also makes Armor Shops and Tool Shops become available.

Unfortunately, after being under control for a while, the town is in ruins, which is where you must help contribute to the town’s reconstruction in order to restore it back to how it was. The materials that are required can be collected in the field, and reconstructing the town will allow you to unlock new facilities, such as inns and more.

Furthermore, a single ally can be stationed as a “garrison” in each reconstructed town, and they’ll earn any bounties and automatically harvest items.
Fortress

Inside the Fortress, you can strengthen your units and have mock battles between allies. Each fort can have up to 5 units, and each unit can have up to 10 allies, making for a total of 50. Points are required to use the functions of forts.

The fort’s Functions are increased with Medals of Honor, obtained by clearing quests and delivering materials. You can also spend Reputation Points, which are obtained through your reconstruction efforts. Furthermore, Mercenaries can customize their colors.
Enemy Encounters

Simply put, it’s a battle against enemy forces. If defeated, the player is returned to the last liberated area.

Mining Field

A mini-game in which players mine for ore in a minigame. There’s also a chance you might find a treasure map and search for treasure while in the field.

Broskis the peeps at RPGsite dropped a metric shitton of new info:

New Allies​

Travis

"Fancy way to refer to a spy. You need intel, dirt, or just the latest weather, I'm your man."
A spy who works for the Cornian Liberation Army. He's been in this clandestine line of work for years, but when the Liberation Army is formed, he joins the combat troops under Alain's command.

Yahna

"It's one of the most prized techniques my master taught me. And not a feat for the weak of heart, mind you."
A young witch living in the swamps of the Witches' village. When the Zenoiran army raids the village and begins to take the witches into captivity, she successfully escapes via a spell of feline transmutation.

Clive

"Together, we shall see Zenoira's ambitions defeated!"
A member of the knights of the old kingdom of Cornia. Knighted early in his career, he has been praised for his intelligence and bravery since he was a squire. He has used his talents to lay the groundwork for the Liberation Army as Josef's right-hand man.

Chloe

"I'll give my all in the royal name, Your Majesty."
Daughter of a friend of Josef. When she joined the Liberation Army, she became Josef's apprentice and studied martial arts and academics. While she maintains a courteous attitude toward Alain as her prince, she also counts herself as one of his good friends.

Hodrick

"I know not why you've summoned me here, my prince, but I am ever yours to command."
Former knight of Cornia. Trusted by Queen Ilenia, he served as her personal guard. During the rebellion, he fought alongside Ilenia, but ultimately he was defeated and captured by Valmore.

Melisandre

"There's not a man in the world who could hope to equal me."
The head of House Meillet, a distinguished Cornian clan. Losing her parents and older brother to illness early in life, she was raised and trained by her aunt and uncle as the heir to the Meillet family.

Setting - World​

The story takes place on the continent of Fevrith, once comprised of five nations: Cornia, Drakenhold, Elheim, Bastorias, and Albion. However, the reborn Zenoiran Empire led by Galerius now dominates the entire continent.

Empire of Zenoira

A great empire that historians say once ruled most of the world, it boasted advanced civilization and technology. Legend has it that, at the height of its prosperity, a mysterious calamity destroyed the whole of the empire in a single day.

• Kingdom of Cornia: Located in the center of the continent, Cornia claims fertile fields, a powerful military force, and the largest acreage of land out of all five kingdoms. The lords of the kingdom hold great loyalty to the royal family, and Queen Ilenia's name is sacred to her subjects.
  • Drakenhold: A land of mountains and deserts in the southeastern part of the continent, the kingdom holds abundant mineral resources and boasts a strong military force led by dragon knights. It also has a long history of border disputes with Cornia.
  • Elheim: A land of elves both light and dark, nestled in verdant forests in the southwestern part of the continent. It boasts a unique system of government headed by a divine seer known as the Turenós. The Winding Wood guards this land from outsiders.
  • Bastorias: A country extending across a vast cold region to the north, populated by various types of beast-folk known as "bestrals" who possess frightening martial prowess. Currently, the country is not ruled by a king but rather a council of clan leaders.
  • Albion: A religious state on a large island in the western part of the continent, it commands strong faith-based national and military power under the Pontiff of the Palevian Orthodoxy. Many inhabitants are part of a winged population known as Angels.

Exploration​

Overworld

Explore the vast overworld at your leisure, encountering various quests and events. Fight against enemies, liberate and rebuild captured settlements, and prepare your forces to advance even further.

Quests

Various events (quests) occur while exploring the overworld.

Take on quests, complete battle stages, and then reap the rewards. All sorts of events are logged as quests.

Liberating Towns

When you defeat imperial forces and liberate towns and forts, you'll gain access to armories and tool shops.

Wandering enemies in the region will also disappear, making it easier to explore the area.

Rebuilding Towns

Towns devastated by imperial rule can be reconstructed by delivering materials, adding facilities and functions that can be used.

When large towns and fortified cities are rebuilt, "inns" will be added, where they will be able to serve meals.

Collecting

Items are scattered throughout the overworld, encouraging exploration.

Many of these items can be delivered to towns to help rebuild, so be proactive in collecting them.

These items will also refresh after a certain number of battles are completed.

Garrisoning

You can station your comrades in reconstructed towns.

Once a character is garrisoned in a town, you will receive rewards each time you complete a stage.

Garrisoned soldiers will also collect nearby items from the overworld for you.

Forts

At forts, you can engage in mock battles in which prearranged allied units fight each other.

You can also expand the size of your units to bolster the number of available character slots in a unit.

Ultimate maximum size of 10 units with up to 5 members in each.

Honors and Renown

To use a fort, you need to prove your valor by earning Honors, and to unlock the functions of a fort, you need the appropriate Renown Rank.

Honors can be earned by clearing stages and delivering goods, while Renown is earned through quest completion and town rebuilding.

Build Renown to hire mercenaries who you can customize as you see fit.

Encounter Battles

Find wandering enemies on the overworld to trigger an encounter.

Finish off the enemy in one battle to earn experience and Honors.

Losing an encounter will send you back to Liberation territory, so watch your strength,

Quarries

Pay gold to play a mining minigame at quarries.

Mine as much ore and minerals as you can within the time limit.

You might dig up an old treasure map...?

Fixed some of the formatting. Full article here:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Broskis the peeps at RPGsite dropped a metric shitton of new info:

Fixed some of the formatting. Full article here:
e4afd751-e677-4f87-aef6-51c25945d30e_tsukihype.gif

So far all the gameplay and features speaks to me sooo much, this is my fucking dream game!

I am erect.
ybo9kwgz1uo91.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It looks quite interesting actually. Now if only vanillaware fixed their busted business model with proper pc releases and regional pricing, cause i ain't paying R$ 300,00 to play a parts VN - parts indie/AA tactical game on the ps4.

I mean, I can see the allure. It's just that I had a "mysterious goth-type" GF and it was exhausting as fuck after a while.
But how was the sex?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
March 2024. Too bad this isn’t coming out this year. Oh well. I bet it will be good. Dragon’s Crown was fun and Odin Sphere. I remember buying both at launch. Feels like ages ago.

Top Bottom