• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unicorn-Overlord-New-Tactical-RPG-from-ATLUS-and-Vanillaware-Announced-Header-Image.png

Looks like previews have started dropping a couple of hours ago.

After four hours with Unicorn Overlord, I didn’t come away itching to learn more about Prince Alain and his noble quest. But I did come away eager to dive deeper into the intricately designed and interwoven combat systems at play that make every encounter feel exciting and dangerous. After some admirable but often repetitive strategy and tactics RPGs in recent years (mostly from Square Enix), Unicorn Overlord is shaping up to be a fresh entry into the genre with Vanillaware’s flair for style acting as the cherry on top.

• Unicorn Overlord is a tactical RPG with elements of strategy, auto battling, and open world exploration.
  • The game features a complex battle system, unique storyline, and overworld mechanics.
  • Players can assemble units, deploy them with Valor Points, and engage in battles with active and passive abilities.

image.png

Being so heavily inspired by Ogre Battle and SRPGs of yore, it’s pleasantly surprising that Unicorn Overlord is as approachable as it is. There’s difficulty, sure, but it’s mechanical; the systems are explained in great detail, it doesn’t take much exploring to find your first repeatable source of experience, and there’s generosity in both resources and fast travel points.

Unicorn Overlord feels like a heightened, refined, modernised revival of Ogre Battle. It has challenging encounters, minutely granular unit building, and a satisfyingly by-the-books political plot. With Vanillaware’s gorgeous aesthetic stamp and a host of quality-of-life features, this might very well be the best SRPG to launch in a long while, and I’m itching to get back to it already.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Can’t watch or read anything too heavy atm.

TLDR? All glowing impressions?

Hudo

Unicorn-Overlord-New-Tactical-RPG-from-ATLUS-and-Vanillaware-Announced-Header-Image.png

Looks like previews have started dropping a couple of hours ago.

I love you for threads like this one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can’t watch or read anything too heavy atm.

TLDR? All glowing impressions?
Interesting battles requiring pre-planning before battle. You get many different pros/cons based on how you set up each unit grid. Unit grid is basically a 3x3 square you place characters on in rows and your formation affects everything. Otherwise it appears it's real time map battles maybe similar to DioField Chronicles / Ogre Battle, with the ability to pause. They hint at some ability to set up automated tactics like FFXII that allows you a lot of control when choosing.

Same art style you'd expect.

Weak story so far.

Also map exploration segments with cities, and social bond / relationship elements.

Last edited:

Arsic

Those are the quotes I'm talking about.
Yeah I’ll be through gates sitting soon to read because “we sat down with game, here’s our thoughts” doesn’t do me anything.

Granted only one is stating a positive and that’s the first one. The rest are nothing burger statements that isn’t inferring positive or not. “It’s a deep game” K. Neat.

one sentence snippets saying it’s a game isn’t what I mean. In some threads people take a nice paragraph from the link as an exert to share for an impression. These aren’t that.

I’ll read in a few when I can.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
No offense against the videos, but I couldn't continue watch them because of how amateur nerdy those guys sounds. Gonna read the texts then, except from kotaku.

Yeah I’ll be through gates sitting soon to read because “we sat down with game, here’s our thoughts” doesn’t do me anything.

Granted only one is stating a positive and that’s the first one. The rest are nothing burger statements that isn’t inferring positive or not. “It’s a deep game” K. Neat.

Again, the one sentence snippets saying it’s a game isn’t what I mean. In some threads people take a nice paragraph from the link as an exert to share for an impression. These aren’t that.

Again, I’ll read in a few when I can.
If you're too busy/lazy then check back later when you actually have time to click on the previews provided in the OP and read them. Idk what else you want.

Last edited:

Arsic

If you're too busy/lazy then check back later when you actually have time to click on the previews provided in the OP and read, idk what you want.
Bro. It was done in a post above by Punished Miku. That’s what I wanted.

Thanks for the thread either way, and hopefully the game is on par with 13 sentinels. <3

Bro. It was done in a post above by Punished Miku. That’s what I wanted.

Thanks for the thread either way, and hopefully the game is on par with 13 sentinels. <3
Cool. I guess it just irked me a bit that the first post in the thread is someone asking for a TL;DR. :/ Anyway, have a safe flight.

Saber

Gold Member
- Battles focus on team building to take advantage of enemies, by using varied classes. This is the bread and butter of the game, since almost no team combination will be the same
- Tankier, agile and warrior units are suggested to be at front of a composing team, while frail characters keep at back to give support
- Take into consideration character passives when team building, like a character with a shield/guard being at front so he can activate the passive and block attacks from an ally for instance
- Characters can be set specific actions to auto, like healing allies with the lowest current HP or a spear user aways attack the line with the most enemies
- Battle ends when either team reaches 0 AP or one of the team dies
- Mission objectives differs and there are also side-missions
- 4 different difficulty levels

Last edited:

Skeptical

Neo Member
Looking very nice so far. I didn't see any mention so far if combat animations can be turned off/sped up. Yes, they're very pretty, but this is undoubtedly a long game and will get boring after a while. Hopefully they can make the experience seamless.

I'm still also a little confused at how this for an open world, real-time system. It seems like battles only occur if you venture into enemy controlled regions, meaning that you have safe time to reorganize troops/do side stuff/whatever. I get that. But once you venture in, you are in constant threat of battle until you liberate it? But how large are these areas? I keep hearing about side quests and little things to do besides liberating; are those separate items part of the overall area to conquer or does it mean there are always lots of little areas to "liberate" besides the big cities? It seemed most of the previews focused on the details of the combat rather than a more zoomed out view.

I started Ogre Battle 64 way back when but never got a chance to finish it. I'm looking forward to rectifying that with this game. Well, not immediately, but still, will definitely get around to it at some point.

ranmafan

Even with all these big games out right now and coming in the next few weeks, this has me the most excited considering how much I love vanillaware games and strategy games as well. Just wish I could’ve gotten the big special edition, but couldn’t in order to get the other games I wanted this month. Oh well, the main game is the most important thing over the special edition goodies.

Heads up, the first 3,000 people to sign up for SEGA’s newsletter until Feb. 29 can claim a voucher code to customize and receive a uniquely designed Color Standee valued at USD $12.99 for Unicorn Overlord.

Here's the Link: https://unicornoverlord.atlus.com/newsletter/index.html

*Players can choose from various in-depth creator tools, including the Unicorn Overlord Heraldry emblem, to recreate their favorite units or characters from the game and show their allegiance to the Empire of Zenoria or one of Fevrith’s five Kingdoms by selecting one of these iconic emblems for their heroes’ shields.

image.png

Hudo

Apologies if this has been said somewhere before: Did Vanillaware say whether this game has some sort of skirmish mode or not? What I mean is maps that you can play outside the "campaign" against the AI?

Last edited:

Labadal

Apologies if this has been said somewhere before: Did Vanillaware say whether this game has some sort of skirmish mode or not? What I mean is maps that you can play outside the "campaign" against the AI?
Not sure about "skirmish mode". Only thing we know is that you will be able to replay "mock battles" if you need to farm levels.

Hudo

Not sure about "skirmish mode". Only thing we know is that you will be able to replay "mock battles" if you need to farm levels.
Well, I guess it's something. I would've loved some sort of skirmish mode, tho. But oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom