• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rran

Good (and really beefy) demo, looking forward to the final game.
The big t*tied 14 year old who stands like a 5 year old Shirley Temple is cringe AF and you know it! We all know it! Who f***ing stands like that?!
Shirley Temple does, for one.

Reactions: Isa

Sentenza

It’s Vanillaware, I expect nothing less from them….they never once disappoint me.

Vanillaware Are treasure of gaming and I hope this game sell well.
Conversely, they never once made a game that I COMPLETELY liked (despise wanting to, because I loved the art).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm bumping up my score threshold to "Over a 91" on Metacritic.

I played the demo on the hardest difficulty for a few hours last night and felt it was unrewarding. Josef is essentially a steamroller. Plus, none of the Battle Areas in the demo are big enough to be interesting imo.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

One hour til reviews!

Last edited:

Hudo

So far, Vanillaware have yet to disappoint me.

I found it hilarious how 13 Sentinels has been banned from vndb because it's "not a VN". Yet they keep shit in their database that is straight up just a strategy RPG. Felt to me more like "well, it's not niche enough anymore. Fuck the mainstream! Fuck 13 Sentinels!". RPGCodex is guilty of the same.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Uhhhhh...
Yes? What's your point?
I have plenty of legitimate reasons to not be in love with any of the Vanillaware's games I played so far.

- Odin Sphere and Muramasa were grindy as hell and with fairly shallow mechanics. "Traverse these maps a million times back and forth and grind exp" is not really my standard of great engagement with a game.
- Dragon's Crown had a nice aesthetic but it really wasn't mechanically that good, compared to the entire lineup of Capcom beat'em-up ups it took inspiration from.
- 13 Sentinels was a somewhat interesting story up to a point, until it was clear that the authors were just throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it. Mechanically-wise, it was a decently enjoyable RTWP (if an extremely easy one), but the "visual novel" part of the game was an uninterrupted sequence of "press forward to continue" with barely any non-mandatory interaction.

Your take, on the other hand?

Last edited:
Yes? What's your point?
I have plenty of legitimate reasons to not be in love with any of the Vanillaware's games I played so far.

- Odin Sphere and Muramasa were grindy as hell and with fairly shallow mechanics. "Traverse these maps a million times back and forth and grind exp" is not really my standard of great engagement with a game.
- Dragon's Crown had a nice aesthetic but it really wasn't mechanically that good, compared to the entire lineup of Capcom beat'em-up ups it took inspiration from.
- 13 Sentinels was a somewhat interesting story up to a point, until it was clear that the authors were just throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it. Mechanically-wise, it was a decently enjoyable RTWP (if an extremely easy one), but the "visual novel" part of the game was an uninterrupted sequence of "press forward to continue" with barely any non-mandatory interaction.

Did you play the demo of Unicorn?

Sentenza

So you just here to say you are not fan of Vanillaware games?....Okay?
No, I'm not "saying it". I SAID it.
At one point. And I was done until some choose to question the legitimacy of my opinion.

"I'm here" just because I'm curious to see how the new game turns out, which is supposed to be, you know, the entire point of a review/opinions thread.

Last edited:
At one point. And I was done until some choose to question the legitimacy of my opinion.

"I'm here" just because I'm curious to see how the new game turns out, which is supposed to be, you know, the entire point of a review/opinions thread.

Considering there is a very in depth demo, which is very rare in general, it would behoove you to try it. You statements for might stand on a higher ground for this game at this point.

To try the product, in this case, and make informed statements and decisions, that is the entire point of review/opinions thread.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

The demo is out, you can just easily play it and see how it "turns out". Most people enjoyed Vanillaware games but you didn't, so even if the game turns out great you still might not like it based on your taste.

Yes? What's your point?

I completely agree, the art is always top notch but this is looking to be the first game of theirs that will be mechanically deep and meaty enough for me to REALLY love

Sentenza

The demo is out, you can just easily play it and see how it "turns out". Most people enjoyed Vanillaware games but you didn't, so even if the game turns out great you still might not like it based on your taste.
Yeah, that's PRECISELY what I said to you at first.
You wrote the equivalent of "I think this is a safe bet because I love everything VW" and I replied to you what boils down to "I don't agree with that premise, so I'm a bit more on the fence about how this may turn out".
Not sure why it even NEEDS to become an argument, honestly.

The petty fight with the other guy, the rabid stalker, was a bit of a distraction, on the other hand.

Last edited:

killatopak

Any info on NG+, multiple endings for future plathroughs, hidden units/requirements, etc?

The reviews can't come soon enough. This is an IP that I feel like that can easily spawn sequels if it becomes successful enough. Game mechanics are solid, basic story setup can be used for prequel/sequels and there's so much unit classes to be expanded upon.

They just have to nail the story for it to be a classic. Art is superb as usual and music so far is great.

drganon

Yeah, that's PRECISELY what I said to you at first.
You wrote the equivalent of "I think this is a safe bet because I love everything VW" and I replied to you what boils down to "I don't agree with that premise, so I'm a bit more on the fence about this may turn out".
Not sure why it even NEEDS to become an argument, honestly.

The petty fight with the other guy, the rabid stalker, was a bit of a distraction, on the other hand.
Says the retard who followed me to another thread. Quit whining about a game you're probably not going to play anyway.

Labadal

I liked all of the VVW games that I have played the full versions of. Muramasa on PSVita, Odin Sphere on PS4, and Dragon's Crown were all my cup of tea. Though, I only liked Dragon's Crown in multiplayer. 13 Sentinels, I liked the story, but I didn't care much for the combat. I got the platinum in Odin Sphere and 13 Sentinels. I tried the GrimGrimoire demo, but it did not click with me. Unicorn Overlord is good, and I feel like if you are not sure about the game, just try it for yourself.

There's nothing wrong about waiting for impressions and reviews, it's just that I do not have much faith in "professional" reviewers in general, not just for this game.

Labadal

Any info on NG+, multiple endings for future plathroughs, hidden units/requirements, etc?

The reviews can't come soon enough. This is an IP that I feel like that can easily spawn sequels if it becomes successful enough. Game mechanics are solid, basic story setup can be used for prequel/sequels and there's so much unit classes to be expanded upon.

They just have to nail the story for it to be a classic. Art is superb as usual and music so far is great.
I'm not sure on your first questions, but from what the Famitsu review info says, the story is set, and if you play your cards right, you can recruit everyone in one go. You can go about tackling things in a different order, though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's a post on the Vanillaware subreddit that summarizes the Famitsu review (supposedly). 38/40 but the summary is pretty vague and feels like it could have been written after playing the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom