• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Fuck the Deep Caverns in the ear.

Keeping this area out of the early access to ensure folks had something new to explore in the full release was probably not the right call, some feedback was definitely needed here.

I stopped playing the game after a couple of hours in this area its so not worth all the hassle they put you through. Real shame, I was enjoying the game too.

Interested in playing this but also have never played Fallout 1,2, or Tactics.
What one do you guys suggest?

Play Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum first. They are much better games.

I mean UnderRail is a good game, but in terms of writing, choices and possibilities it doesn't come close to the classics. Also the last 1/4 of the game really sucks atm.

More UC bullshit:

Suddenly ennemies start respawning. I'm pretty sure they never did that before.

You are also fucked if you didn't invest into hacking or electronics in the arke power plant. Some doors there need 130 in hacking to open.

bati

If the area is relevant to a quest then there is ALWAYS an alternative way to open it. Hacking/lockpicking merely open up shortcuts or access to more loot. Absence of either does not necessarily mean you're fucked.

SRG01

Play Fallout 1, 2 and Arcanum first. They are much better games.

I mean UnderRail is a good game, but in terms of writing, choices and possibilities it doesn't come close to the classics. Also the last 1/4 of the game really sucks atm.

More UC bullshit:

Suddenly ennemies start respawning. I'm pretty sure they never did that before.

You are also fucked if you didn't invest into hacking or electronics in the arke power plant. Some doors there need 130 in hacking to open.

Spoilers:
They respawn because of how the Eye of Tchort works. It stacks Creeping Dread before Eye of Tchort locks onto you and sends monsters to you from all directions. You can get rid of these debuffs by hiding in the bunkers.

Also, Arke Power Plant absolutely does not need hacking. I finished it simply by navigating each area and getting the keys/keycards.

Those mushroom monsters in the deep caves are really tough and I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do there.

Kill the pulsating thing(s) I suppose?

This area is starting to test my patience. Is there a good walkthrough somewhere?

I'm in the room with the repair robot and the door panel. The manual that lists the items you need to repair the door should be close right?

Regarding the faceless:

I finally faced their commander and ofc for not killing freakin buzzer he wouldn't answer any of my questions. This is such bullshit. Because of one wrong choice (that at that time you have no way of guessing is a wrong one) you are completely left in the dark about very big piece of the game's story and lore. This is just bad design. Is there any way to read the dialogues in the game from the files or something?
Also note that if you visited the Tchortists base prior to the meeting and had a friendly chat with the commander over there. The faceless will turn immediately hostile after reading your mind.

I'll respond to this too. There's a comprehensive walkthrough in the Steam Discussion forums, but I'll post a recap:

Six tells you where the door is, so you ultimately need to do three things:
- Remove the biomass from the door
- Repair the door mechanism
- Find the keycard for the door

Getting the biomass requires you to go to the mushroom forest and get the pulsating vein from the big mushroom. Leo in the caves (just past the burrowers) gives you a huge hint on how to get to the big mushroom -- wander around the spores and you'll wake up in the new area. After that, you'll have to process that in the research lab.

To power up the research lab (and other areas), you need to finish Arke power plant.

Next, you need to repair the door mechanism: you can find hydraulic pump parts all over Deep Caverns so it's pretty hard to mess this part up. Depending on your mechanical skill, you may need to grab the AI core from Arke power plant to fix the repair bot.

The keycard is in the residential building, through a door that only opens up if you've powered up the residential sector.

That's about it really, unless you want a massive spoiler for the end boss.

@SRG01 Thank you for your exhaustive answer. I'll give it one more try.
Also, I was thinking of the burrowers respawning near the arke power plant entrance. But maybe they always did.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God I am so sick of the fucking deep caverns, how is this so much worse then the rest of the game? I mean if you made a list of things you *NEVER* do in a videogame, you'd describe this area to a T.

1. Infinitely Respawning enemies!
2. Not one, but TWO giant massive zone spanning fetch quests with key items arbitrarily stashed away in random barrels and garbage bins!
3. A stupid labyrinth full of annoying HP bloated enemies that not only infinitely respawn, but can't be run past cause the maze doesn't use traditional zone exits!
4. A SECOND labyrinth full of HP bloated enemies as well as areas that inflict a crippling debuff. Oh and the solution to the puzzle in this area is almost as obtuse as the cliff tornado in Simon's Quest. I'm going to spoil it here so other folks don't have to suffer that shit like I did:
So there are spore fields all over this area that when walked in hit you with a debuff that costs 2% of your health and it stacks up to 40 times. The trick to this area is to purposefully let yourself get debuffed by 80% of your health at which point your character will magically teleport to a whole new area (for no logical reason that I can discern) wherein you can kill the boss monster and get the key item you need.
5. Insane amounts of backtracking! You have to activate this massive power station, but it can only power up a couple of areas at a time. Said areas of course aren't labelled because the game doesn't have a bloody map, so you get to experiment by treking all the way to the far end of the map to the powerstation to turn on the juice at some spot. Then you wander around until you find somewhere with the lights on and hope that there is something you need to do there. Repeat this process like 4 or 5 times. Did I mention that there are INFINITELY RESPAWNING ENEMIES EVERY. FUCKING. PLACE. YOU. GO. Oh yea I did in point one.
6. Annoying as shit debuffs! Not one but two crippling debuffs can be found in this fucking dumpster fire of an area, one of which makes you fragile as fuck, the other neuters your ability to do damage. Holy shit wow!

Fuck this stupid shithole. Fuck. It.

FUCK. IT.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
^They really messed up when designing that area. I don't what was going through their heads.

Blizzard

Banned
On the bright side, they already nerfed an enemy in one of the early patches, so maybe if I ever get there it will have been nerfed. :p

Moff

I will wait for a guide that makes the deep caverns as painless as possible, then I will finish the game. I absolutely loved the game so far, it's up there with the classics for me, but Deep Caverns is a much worse Xen, and I am not a masochist.

Version 1.0.0.8
Creeping Dread and Eye of Spoiler debuff will now expire more quickly when you get out of the affected areas; this will also make a certain special feat more useful
Tweaked health and resistances of various DC creatures
Burrowers in front of Arke Power Plant will no longer respawn

Roman will no longer chicken out and disappear at the start of Junkyard battle
When you drop items, the loot bag will now be named "Stuff" instead of "Remains"
Added more explosives to certain merchants
Added bottles and dirty rags to some junkyard merchants
Made bottles more common when scavenging trash
Added more bolt triggers to some merchants
Increased the amount of military components at certain merchants (especially in the early game)
Buffed Balor's Hammer
Buffed the damage of mk2 and mk3 EMP grenades and mines
Plasma discharger and laser emitter component skill requirements mod changed to 1 (down from 1.25)
Persuading the mindreader in Rail Crossing to let Buzzer live will no longer negatively affect the player's score when talking to the Faceless in DC
Using the mutagen scanner now pauses the game
Certain named tchortling in Deep Caverns will no longer infinitely respawn
Fixed Mysterious Lady not appearing at the Core City metro station
Fixed Ola's dialogue tree bug
Fixed the medical locker in one of DC outposts
Lost Vault Trader's key now properly unlocks the footlocker in the shack behind him
Various minor map bugs

Well this adresses a lot of my complaints.

strang

Neo Member
So I've been slowly making my way through with stealth and knives, but now I'm running into more and more enemies with high mechanical resistance that I don't make a dent in.

How should melee characters deal with the Bladelings in the Foundry mines?

bumclot

I've made it to the Deep Caverns, but I still haven't done the quests for the
Protectorate
or
Free Drones
. I've only done one of
Jack Quicksilver's
quests.

Are any of those quests really worth it? I get the impression I'm close to the end of the game and I don't want to get burned out. I also haven't really found enough information about the
Protectorate
or
Free Drones
to make an educated decision between the two, which is just making me that much more indecisive.

Continuing to enjoy this game, man it is really good. The thing that's surprising me the most is crafting, which is something I usually never engage in. Here it's a fleshed out mechanic that I love using. Only problem is that buying components is almost too easy, as the game's economy is pretty generous if you collect and sell weapons.

I also haven't reached Deep Caverns, so it seems I have plenty of pain to look forward to.

Moff

I've made it to the Deep Caverns, but I still haven't done the quests for the
Protectorate
or
Free Drones
. I've only done one of
Jack Quicksilver's
quests.

Are any of those quests really worth it? I get the impression I'm close to the end of the game and I don't want to get burned out. I also haven't really found enough information about the
Protectorate
or
Free Drones
to make an educated decision between the two, which is just making me that much more indecisive.

well if you're in the deep cavern there is no way back anyway.
I don't know if you can get back post-game.

I did protectorate and I think they have an interesting questline,
you even get to commandeer one of their mechs in one quest.
the jack quicksilver questline is a Highlight of the game, blew my mind the most. I recommend everyone to definitely do it.

bumclot

well if you're in the deep cavern there is no way back anyway.
I don't know if you can get back post-game.

I did protectorate and I think they have an interesting questline,
you even get to commandeer one of their mechs in one quest.
the jack quicksilver questline is a Highlight of the game, blew my mind the most. I recommend everyone to definitely do it.

Thank you for the recommendations! I'm not too far into Deep Caverns and I made a bunch of saves prior, so I'll definitely check out those questlines. My Oddities collection is looking a little too sparse anyway - time to go hunting!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I'm about to start paying serious attention to Core City now and I'm at crossroads now - need to decide which missions I'd start doing. So
Gorsky asks me to snoop around some warehouse - is it the dreaded warehouse mission with the huge fight?

Best 45 hours of RPG I had in a year. We are being spoiled with good games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The only skills you can really consider capping are lockpicking and hacking. Hardest locks/hacks I encountered required 130 and these were in the final area.

bati

My rule of thumb is (all skills at effective level, not base):

Crafting - ~120, you get benches with 15% skill bonus and that's usually enough to craft the highest quality stuff you find unless you get really lucky with components

Hacking/Lockpicking - 120 + Huxkey

Throwing - 50 unless you're doing a knifethrowing build in which case you max it out.

Persuasion/Intimidate - 100-120, I don't know if any checks go higher than that. Mostly wasted skill points.

Mercantile - avoid like plague

Evasion + dodge - this will depend on the armor you're wearing and your build. If you're a ranged weapon char who can burst down enemies before they get to you then you can safely dump dodge, especially since smart goggles come with an inherent 25% penalty to that stat anyway. You'll want to get evasion pretty high if possible though, but if you're really skill starved then it's not the end of the world if you dump both stats completely. Same goes for PSI builds, you'll likely be using psi beetle carapace in your PSI vest and that's 35% armor penalty for tac vests which makes investment into these two stats completely pointless.

Combat skills + stealth - max out.

Were talking skills made more useful by one of the updates?

I'm at a loss for a character build. I wish there was a way to just pump everything to max. Don't even care if it takes away the challenge. I like feeling like a god.

Just wantedo to bump this thread up to say that I finally got around to play this (bought it before it launched) and I am really happy that I did.

I wrote this in the Steam thread:

Haven't posted anything in a while but have I mentioned yet how great Underrail is?

header.jpg

Like superb duperb great. It's ridiculous playing this back-to-back with Fallout 4: it's basically everything that Fallout 4 was and wasn't (at least so far, first ~10 hours).

Disclaimer: I really love (especially) Fallout 2 but this isn't nostalgia talking: I only finished Fallout 2 first time in something like 2013.

TL;DR: Read the above then buy Underrail

I am only ~10 hours in but been loving it so far.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Just wantedo to bump this thread up to say that I finally got around to play this (bought it before it launched) and I am really happy that I did.

I wrote this in the Steam thread:

I am only ~10 hours in but been loving it so far.

Game is really good!

Does anyone else find the overall difficulty being pretty... interesting?

For example, in the Junk
yard:

I did few initial missions, went to Depot A. Proceeded to get beaten by the people in Old Junkyard. Did more missions and more sidequests on Junkyard, until I got to the gangwar. Got much better equipment and now I could easily roll over the peeps that were giving me trouble before. But alas, on the next area friggin' acid spewing Mutants come at me.

Should I have gone back to buy acid resistant armor for 8500 credits? The acid was the worst part, I must have wasted 20 healths hypos for just recovering from the acid damage.

I did eventually finish the section and reach my main goal. Rather hooked on this game. Game clock says 8 hours, but Steam counter says 13. All those restarts..

I am 20 hours in and my gametime clock is saying ~12 hours.

Currently I feel like I am constantly progressing, but at the same time I have no idea what I am doing.

I have done everything up and after Camp Hathor and my next mission would be going back to Rails Crossing and try and see if I am fit to fight there. The thing is, I have looked through every nook-and-cranny and I am still just on 1/3 of LVL11->12. Instead of going to rails crossing I decided to go and adventure at Lower Underrail Caves which was a good idea but I only got ~0.5 a level there.

Now my options would be:

- Going to Rails Crossing
- Going somewhere else to look for more oddities to get another level up

23 hours in and I just figured during the last session that there are items that grant you new PSI abilities. I have completely missed them because they are not visible outside of the "Non-plot" and "All" inventory views (am I right? Tried to crosscheck and couldn't find any).

Makes me wonder how many PSI items I have sold / left behind

30 hours in
finished all the missions up to Core City, including Foundry and Rails Crossing
and I am starting to feel some fatigue. I mostly still like playing it a lot but there are some grievances that are really getting to me:

- The game really, really needs an in-game map. The underrail system and cavers are sprawling with places that look similar so it's sometimes really hard to remember which road leads to where. Not only that, but most often it's also hard to estimate where you are going: say you are going north, west, south, east again: instinct says that you most likely should end up somewhere close to your starting place if not start itself (considering the routes aren't on a square grid, say like something like Legend Of Zelda 1) but many times I just find myself running through thousands of corridors with no idea what-so-over where I am going. I exit a tunnel and it's really hard to say where I am: am I near Foundry or Core City? There are some "oh cool I am here now" moments ala Metroid or Dark Souls, but as every place looks the same you aren't aiming for certain direction, you just happen to end up somewhere.

- The difficulty is all over the place. Not sure if it's due to my build, but there's rarely a middle route between dominating and getting insta-killed. My character cannot be hurt with weapons, but I do get insta-killed by smasher-folks. Sometimes I can take 10 grenades, sometimes the first one crits me and it's insta-death. Many times I end up in situations where I can/have to just abuse flashbangs, take out the worst enemies, block routes with gun enemies and then just shoot at things until everyone is dead. But make one mistake in the beginning and I am dead, again. Reload, try again. My gametime is like 20 hours max right now, with 10 hours gone to tries like that.

- Wasn't a huge fan of Foundry: the place was rather huge but barren and the walk ways made it so that it took ages to get anywhere.

Moff

yeah the second half of the game lacked highlights, it still had a few, but the first half up to core city was truly great. the last third of the game is a complete mess, I loved this game, but I never finished it and never will

and I absolutely agree about the map as well, I almost don't dare to admit it but I used guides a lot to read where I have to go because I always felt lost. I don't need questmarkers, but give me a map with names of the regions that are mentioned by the questgiver or at least tell me the name of the region I am currently in

Aaargh the difficulty bumps are driving me nuts

Currently trying to win the warehouse fight by placing ~15 traps. Seems to be working if I could kill that sniper before it picks each of us with +550 hits

Aaargh the difficulty bumps are driving me nuts

Currently trying to win the warehouse fight by placing ~15 traps. Seems to be working if I could kill that sniper before it picks each of us with +550 hits

Tried this 15 more times. Still no luck. Maybe 16 is waaaay to low to try this.

Hey, if something is too hard, just whine about it on the internet:

Nerfed the Coretech warehouse mercenaries in the defense mission

Full change list:

Version 1.0.1.8 (12.04.2016)
Noise emission from weapons should work properly now (previously it only worked for non-weapon sources such as grenades, psi abilities, etc)
Some AI improvements on normal and hard difficulties
Insulated and galvanic foam padding no longer add to stealth
Fixed the bug that caused some of the on-hit effect to proc off even when attacks were resisted in full
Handled the bug that caused certain special attacks and on-hit effects to remove fire effects from the target
Games that are saved after this patch will also display the difficulty settings
Pneumatic hammer and pneumatic reloader are now considered pneumatic components for the purpose of trading
Supersoldier drug will no properly trigger the cooldown
Healing effectiveness bonuses will no longer apply twice when using health hypos; also added healing effectiveness stat to the combat stats window
Special attack damage bonus added to the combat stats window
Compacted the feat list somewhat and added an option to filter it by entering text that is then matched against the feat's name, description and requirements
Gunslinger feat now reduces firearm pistol usage ap cost by 3 (up from 2) and also increases initiative by 7
Paranoia now also increases initiative by 5
Taste for Blood no longer reduces AP cost
Combo now has 20% chance to stun (down from 100%)
Fatal Throw now only restores action points once per turn
Lightning punches now requires armor penalty to be below 20% (up from 25%)
Light weapon AP cost reduction changed to 3% (down from 4%) for each dexterity point above 5
High Explosive grenades and mines now ignore 40% of damage resistance and threshold
Riot gear shield base block chance changed to 35% (up from 30%) and block amount increased (base multiplier changed from 1.5 to 2.25) (not retroactive)
Extra unarmed damage from boots will now also work with fist weapons
Fixed the bug that caused temporary lock up in certain areas with certain elevators
Fixed the bug that caused outlines to be visible beyond the camera view
Added VSync toggle option to video settings
Fixed Minister Percival sometimes not appearing at the Institute
You can now place small animals inside the organic processor in DC
The wardrobes in Mediant Samuel's and Principal Investigator Georgis' offices can now be accessed properly
Fixed the Black Eels becoming hostile to the player after the SRO assault mission (happened if the player asked for Protectorate help during the Eels' final quest)
Fixed unresponsive ladder in one of Upper Underrail's hidden passages
Expanded the Renegade quest for the Underrail Protectorate
Added one more way to sneak in the cybernetic spawn into the Protectorate embassy
Added another way to kidnap a certain woman
Did a few Rail Crossing invasion quest tweaks and added additional dialog options
Added another way to learn about a certain man and his gang
Fixed a certain someone not waiting for you at the beginning of DC in some cases
Removed some of the unnecessary backtracking during the missing train quest; also added a few more options for handling the quest
A Protectorate guard will occasionally remind the player to holster his weapons if using the SRO elevator to reach the embassy
Some tweaks to the quest for the Faceless near Foundry
Nerfed the Coretech warehouse mercenaries in the defense mission
Fixed old hostage in GMS sometimes blocking the vent in the room with the ladder
Numerous minor tweaks and fixes (maps, dialogs etc.)

Version 1.0.1.9 (today)
Fixed the bug that caused the characters to be able to cast psi abilities even if they lack psi points
Fixed the bug that put the player in combat when environmental effects that they caused hurt NPCs in controlled areas, even though the player is hidden

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Soon I will be out of town, that means I will leave The Witcher at home and dive into this again on my notebook. 45 hours in and still didn't start proper ass kicking in Core City.

Bl@de

*blowing dust off the thread*

Hello everyone,
I bought Underrail in the current GOG sale and wanted to ask if anyone has some good advice about character creation, gameplay and other things (what to do, what to avoid, etc.)?

If not I'll just jump in and create a character ... and create another one after 2h ... and another one .... and ...

Moff

*blowing dust off the thread*

Hello everyone,
I bought Underrail in the current GOG sale and wanted to ask if anyone has some good advice about character creation, gameplay and other things (what to do, what to avoid, etc.)?

If not I'll just jump in and create a character ... and create another one after 2h ... and another one .... and ...

here is a list of stuff I figured out way too late:
My list of things I figured out way too late:
1. You can find psi spells as items, I probably sold the ones I found in the first 4 hours because I thought they were crafting material
2. there is a very strong synergy between the base attributes and skills, which makes it a lot easier to level some skills and very hard to level others (8 hours into the game)
4. Shields need to be activated (15 hours into the game)
5. There is a second action bar if you hold shift (20+ hours into the game)

also: social skills like threaten and persuasion are not very useful in this game.
and don't rush the game, enjoy it, it's fantastic, sadly the last area is really, really bad. I actually never finished it although I still consider it one of the top 5 RPGs of the last 10 years.

Bl@de

here is a list of stuff I figured out way too late:

also: social skills like threaten and persuasion are not very useful in this game.

Thanks for that. Figured that social skills are a waste after reading reviews. Game seems focused on exploration and combat. What about character progression? Classic or oddity? What is better? And what about melee weapons and fists? They were surprisingly powerful in Wasteland 2.

I actually never finished it although I still consider it one of the top 5 RPGs of the last 10 years.

Well it must have won the RPG Codex GOTY award for a reason. But then again ... some freaks over there love to replay games like Wizardry 4 :p

Top Bottom