• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
well i play a psi character focused on persuasion and lockpicking.

So i neither have stealth nor the means to kill the droids.
so the only way to solve both these passages was to hide in the vents and quicksave/reload dozens of times so I would randomly find a way to sneak between the droids.

I think you can shortcut droids after learning some electricity spells. I haven't tried it myself though because I've learned it after I completed the section.

Moff

I think you can shortcut droids after learning some electricity spells. I haven't tried it myself though because I've learned it after I completed the section.

that's right, it only shortcuits them for one round, though, and its a very expensive spell. and even then, you can't enter ventilation shafts while in combat so you need to fight them either way once they see you. there aren't doors or exits everywhere either. and then come more droids, more stun grenades etc.

are there many sections like that in the future? because if yes I will stop now and maybe restart later with a stealth character

adamy

Banned
No, it doesn't. Have you considered a Steam Controller? Should work fine for this game since it's turn based.

i have both a steam controller and xbox1 controller for my gaming pc

think steam controller would do the trick? might pick up this game today

bati

Also I'm decent at hacking and lockpicking but I'm hampered with my low dexterity when I level up lockpicking.

That's why I always carry some dex food with me on 3 dex builds ;). Lockpicking is one of those skills I never skip.

think steam controller would do the trick? might pick up this game today

I don't think so, it's a PC game through and through, especially in the UI department, which means lots of small precise mouse movements in the inventory. I don't know if I'd be willing to submit myself to gamepad torture, even though the game is spectacular.

are there many sections like that in the future? because if yes I will stop now and maybe restart later with a stealth character

Not really. You can easily go loud in the GMS compound, I always kill those robots. Note that you can abuse their AI if you're in a pickle, they don't have hands so you can slam the door in their face (if they had a face). You should have enough AP to open the door, fire once and close the door again.

SRG01

well i play a psi character focused on persuasion and lockpicking.

So i neither have stealth nor the means to kill the droids.
so the only way to solve both these passages was to hide in the vents and quicksave/reload dozens of times so I would randomly find a way to sneak between the droids.

You need to buy EMP Grenades... if that's not possible, just evade them.

Just a precaution about the rest of the game though: stealth is definitely a must if your build isn't meant for direct combat. You may have to restart, unfortunately, since the game is very unforgiving.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just played this for two hours. I'm genuinely impressed when you spend like 30-minutes on character creation, you know are in for a good role-playing game.

Currently playing a build with a focus on stealth, pistols, lockpicking/traps/hacking etc. Seems to be working well so far. Excited and keen to play more.

The atmosphere is so good, and it accurately captures the "fallout" experience better than Bethesda ever did.

lazygecko

I started playing this tonight. One thing I miss that was in Fallout is the ability to examine all the objects in the world no matter how mundane and get text descriptions. It adds so much flavor to the world.

Moff

Just a precaution about the rest of the game though: stealth is definitely a must if your build isn't meant for direct combat. You may have to restart, unfortunately, since the game is very unforgiving.

shortly after that passage I found a decent 9mm gun and robots are no longer a problem.
but those first few robot passages are still very tough, EMPs and closing doors don't help a lot because you are still in combat, and while you are in combat you cannot use trap doors or ventilation shafts.

after 10 hours now I have to say that this is an absolutely excellent game.
as another poster said earlier, this game is not really a fallout, it's much better. this is a straight up 2D Deus Ex.

and it works incredibly good. the level design is absolutely outstandig. i don't think I have ever seen level design like that in 2d. the way the different levels and sections are connected and can be accessed through lockpicking/hacking/ventilation shafts is really impressive.

I really hope this is a success and the developer can do more games like that, maybe in a different setting.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wow the protectorate...

They went from brotherhood of steel to enclave gas death squad 0-100 real quick.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I just want to say that this game is so so so good. It has that "magic" ingredient that makes you want to explore the world and the game rewards the player's exploration in an amazing way. I wish we had more games like this. I am 36 hours in and have yet to visit any of the major locations aside from Junkyard.

I picked this up. I want to go Stealth/knives/social. Lockpicking and hacking to go along with it. Is this possible? Alternately is a total social build viable?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I picked this up. I want to go Stealth/knives/social. Lockpicking and hacking to go along with it. Is this possible? Alternately is a total social build viable?

You're going to have a really bad time doing that. And no, you need combat skills in this game.

Moff

I'd say social are by far the points I wasted the most.
I am not going to say it's useless, but it's not worth it.

first of all it's two skills: persuasion and intimidate, so twice the points.
but occasions are very rare and it doesn't feel like it changes alot, maybe you can skip a small fight.
but the worst thing, although I alwasy put the maximum allowed points in both persuasion and intimdate, and I have 10 of the synergy base stat willpower, both social skills only work about half of the time.
it's trash.

definitely pick up lockpicking instead

subversus

I'd also recommend picking up Traps skills. not many of them so far but they are very annoying. I'm currently looking for a way to level up just to see traps. From what I've read you don't need much of the skill to spot them.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Dexterity and perception are very important stats for almost any character build, don't neglect. Strength and endurance are least important.

but occasions are very rare and it doesn't feel like it changes alot, maybe you can skip a small fight.
but the worst thing, although I alwasy put the maximum allowed points in both persuasion and intimdate, and I have 10 of the synergy base stat willpower, both social skills only work about half of the time.
it's trash.

Alright, stealth and knives it is. Thanks!

Blizzard

Banned

it's trash.

This does disappoint me a bit, since I might have imagined a game where I could largely avoid combat (Deus Ex style) and/or talk my way through situations. There are too many games where combat is forced I feel like.

bati

I have goggles that increase perception, but I've read that there is also goggles that increase detection - is that it?

Yes. Goggles come in the following variants:

- increases perception by 1
- increases detection by XX%
- increases critical chance with ranged weapons by XX% (looks like 15% is cap)
- increases damage with special attacks (basically anything that shows up when you press F key) by XX%

All of them also come with a huge downside, -25% to dodge skill. If this is your dump skill then it's not really a downside.

This does disappoint me a bit, since I might have imagined a game where I could largely avoid combat (Deus Ex style) and/or talk my way through situations. There are too many games where combat is forced I feel like.

You can avoid nearly all combat with stealth. It really is a 2d Deus Ex game.

subversus

I've increased traps skill to 20, put the goggles on and the fucker still can't see shit. Figures, he is almost blind with perception set to 3. So I was wondering if I should dump all my points from current level up into traps it just purge them with fire but such way misses the point of my stealth build. I really hate traps.

Purkake4

Banned
So I'm a bit stuck (midgame spoilers):
I've finished the Arena, I've done 3 quests for the JKK and got that one guy to fix the Faceless transporter. JKK doesn't have any extra quests and the guy is still fixing it. What do I do?

Another hotfix was released a few hours ago.

Version 1.0.0.7
Fixed the mutagen scanner in DC
Fixed the Faceless Mindreader dialog bug in Rail Crossing that occurred when you had a specific amount of Thought Control skill
Fixed the Foundry's ending slides regarding disappearances
Fixed Sarine's hostility bug during kidnapping
Fixed the bug that prevented Jyles from selling you lab equipment
Carrier vest components will now count as "armor parts" for the purpose of selling
Roman will no longer die of a heart attack at the start of Junkyard battle
Minor map fixes

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That feeling when your 1 xp away from leveling and you keep finding oddities your maxed out on.

Moff

spent a few hours in core city and the game does not cease to impress me, quite the contrary
given the size, the amount and the quality of the content, it's simply incredible that most of this was done by only one young dude, and he does much of it better than huge studios.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
spent a few hours in core city and the game does not cease to impress me, quite the contrary
given the size, the amount and the quality of the content, it's simply incredible that most of this was done by only one young dude, and he does much of it better than huge studios.

Agreed, though do keep in mind that this game was in development for a very very long time.

bati

Don't forget that it sells for 15 bucks. I felt like I robbed the developer when I bought the game in EA for 8 euros so I bought a few copies for my friends to compensate. Best value for my money in a long time when it comes to RPGs.

SRG01

So I'm a bit stuck (midgame spoilers):
I've finished the Arena, I've done 3 quests for the JKK and got that one guy to fix the Faceless transporter. JKK doesn't have any extra quests and the guy is still fixing it. What do I do?

Oh hm, you may be bugged.
After you finish about the 6th round or so of the Arena, the Ogliarchs are supposed to approach you with more missions.

Pancakes

Fighting psionic enemies later in the game is incredibly obnoxious. The basically destroy your health pool in one rotation thanks to mental breakdown and subsequent thought control spells. Balance is very strange in the this game.

KarmaCow

Is there a way to disengage from combat or reset the situation instead of temporarily when loading into another area? The first (very early spoilers)
stealth section in GMS was pretty annoying since getting caught once basically meant the floor was eternally fucked because I had nothing to reliably kill robots

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Is there a way to disengage from combat or reset the situation instead of temporarily when loading into another area? The first (very early spoilers)
stealth section in GMS was pretty annoying since getting caught once basically meant the floor was eternally fucked because I had nothing to reliably kill robots

Yes, you can break line of sight by turning a corner and then re-stealth. There is even an achievement for it.

KarmaCow

Yes, you can break line of sight by turning a corner and then re-stealth. There is even an achievement for it.

I guess enemies are aware of your last known position then? I tried running around a corner to re-stealth, (I hit stealth when I couldn't see them anymore) but they still seemed to know exactly where I was and even flanked me.

But other than trying to re-stealth is there any way to reset a floor or will they always instantly aggro if you re-enter and area where you have retreated from during combat? It's annoying that even if you enter a zone stealthed they will instantly break it.

Purkake4

Banned
Oh hm, you may be bugged.
After you finish about the 6th round or so of the Arena, the Ogliarchs are supposed to approach you with more missions.
Figured it out, I had to learn about the Acid Hunters from Buzzer before it triggered.
How do you craft overcoats? Do you need a specific blueprint for those?
Just add a fabric to the optional slot for leather/riot armor or tactical vests.

bati

I guess enemies are aware of your last known position then? I tried running around a corner to re-stealth, (I hit stealth when I couldn't see them anymore) but they still seemed to know exactly where I was and even flanked me.

But other than trying to re-stealth is there any way to reset a floor or will they always instantly aggro if you re-enter and area where you have retreated from during combat? It's annoying that even if you enter a zone stealthed they will instantly break it.

If you get far enough and successfully hide for ~2-3 turns they'll lose sight of you.

autoduelist

Oddity experience sounds like a very unique and interesting potential solution to common rpg progression problems. I very much like it, in theory, at least.

KarmaCow

If you get far enough and successfully hide for ~2-3 turns they'll lose sight of you.

Guess I need to get that stealth movement point feat then.

Even for heavy combat based builds? I plan on killing everything and using lock picking a lot

Unless by that you mean you'll be avoiding looking through lockers and what not, you'll be fine. Oddities also drop off enemies so combat isn't completely divorced from levelling.

Purkake4

Banned
Even for heavy combat based builds? I plan on killing everything and using lock picking a lot
Yup, it's the way it's supposed to be played AFAIK. It includes enemies, for some you need to go out of your way to collect their oddities and other bits.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've seen multiple people complain that they hit the level cap way too early using Classic XP, so unless you want that to happen play on Oddity.

Top Bottom