• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts | PS5 #1 Hardware, 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Digital+Physical)

Luigi Mario

I think the main person in that debate was banned. But it was a semi meltdown about Series console sales and them pulling numbers out of an alternate reality..

At this point it is what it is. Maybe it will get better later this year. Who knows.
I think it was me who kicked the can down the road when I asked him for proof of his claim that Xbox Series was actually doing better than Xbox One.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Thats not as egregious of a split as people are making it out to be. PS5 and Series consoles were roughly neck and neck at around 2 million in the UK. PS4 sold between 7 and 8 million units. Roughly 80% of the console market for this game was Sony platforms and 20% is series consoles. Its roughly the distribution you would expect.
Exactly this many in here want conveniently ignore the ps4 version its 10 million total Playstation's vs 2 mill xbox.

I own an Xbox Series X and PS5 (with PS VR2) but I am not surprised at all by the sales numbers. I have always felt like my PS5 has offered me a satisfying next-gen experience, thanks to the exclusives and now VR, so I can fully understand why anyone would want to own one but as time has gone on I have become increasingly disappointed with Microsoft and their attitude toward the Xbox Series consoles, which has had no real exclusives or killer apps since launch. They are coming but, damn, the console is three years old this November!!! It's all about Game Pass but even that is underwhelming.

GHG

Exactly. That's why I have been critical of Microsoft's Xbox business model. It just doesn't make sense. And as numbers continue to prove, it just doesn't work either.

To add to the above, Xbox also does one more thing that doesn't make any sense to me: they pay Japanese developers to port their old games to Xbox and then put those games on Game Pass (e.g., Persona).

It may win them temporary forum/Internet points, but how that makes any financial sense is beyond me.
  • Because of low HW and SW sales, you have to pay money to developers to port their games. (instead of the other way around).
  • You then put those games on Game Pass (so no retail sales and recovery of said porting money)
  • Those are old games (e.g., Persona) that fans have already bought and played on other platforms. So it's not like PS people (who have already played Persona years ago and have those games in their PS library) would leave PS and subscribe to Game Pass to play ... Persona.
There is no financial recovery in this model, and for the love of God, I cannot understand the rationale.

/rant.

Overall, they are a business division that listen to and cater towards their current crop of hardcore "fans" far too much. The less said about that the better, don't want to put myself in trouble because it's something I have strong feelings on, even more so because I've recently been revisiting the Xbox 360 library.

Series X is being sold at a discount on Amazon UK. Guess that means no shortages.

Discounted on Amazon in the UAE as well. 9% off the Series X and 21% off the series S.

Poltz

Overall, they are a business division that listen to and cater towards their current crop of hardcore "fans" far too much. The less said about that the better, don't want to put myself in trouble because it's something I have strong feelings on, even more so because I've recently been revisiting the Xbox 360 library.

Discounted on Amazon in the UAE as well. 9% off the Series X and 21% off the series S.
Persona on Game Pass getting better marketing than Xbox 1st party games was so weird.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Clearly Amazon sympathizes with them because they cannot compete without Activision.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Covid and supply issues was a literal gift from the Heavens for Xbox. Sony was MEANT to bury Xbox right out of the gate.

As it were, the best thing for Microsoft occurred, and people were forced to consider the possibility of buying the rival machine just because they have no other choice. If Xbox had their games lined up to hit Sony when they were vulnerable, they could have done the impossible. 2022 Gave Xbox a chance. A relatively even playing field

Xbox couldn't hit the homerun when they needed to. And now the opportunity is gone.
Hey.....its kinda hard to dispute this.

Numbers dont lie.

Its now the 2nd week of April 2023....most places been went back to somewhat normal since Covid. Somehow Sony are selling consoles like Covid didnt happen.

What in thee hell.

No lies detected....just know you are not alone in thinking this.

ProtoByte

Overall, they are a business division that listen to and cater towards their current crop of hardcore "fans" far too much.
I get what you're saying, and you're right in the literal sense, but I don't agree. I think they set the tone for what their hardest of hardcore fans say to defend them, and the fanboys just go along with it. Pre Gamepass (and even now selectively) it was all about waiting until the AAA blockbusters came along. Now, it's all about the "variety". Hyping up indie-esque games, whilst downplaying the value of AAA.

Say what you will about most Sony zealots, but at least there's descent in the ranks over things that deserve skepticism at the best. E.g. the live service push.

Covid and supply issues was a literal gift from the Heavens for Xbox. Sony was MEANT to bury Xbox right out of the gate.

As it were, the best thing for Microsoft occurred, and people were forced to consider the possibility of buying the rival machine just because they have no other choice. If Xbox had their games lined up to hit Sony when they were vulnerable, they could have done the impossible. 2022 Gave Xbox a chance. A relatively even playing field

Xbox couldn't hit the homerun when they needed to. And now the opportunity is gone.
Exactly...PS5 could be way ahead of the PS4 at this point and have sold way more than 2:1 in comparison with Series S and X but a lot of people that couldn't get a PS5 went for the option available...Series S, the console easier to manufacture.

There's a reason Xbox sales fell down a cliff as soon as PS5 started to be widely available. It was always the go-to option...people just couldn't buy one. That's not happening anymore.

PeteBull

Not a drastic change but sales would be higher.There are around 50 million Xbox one install base who couldn't buy it.
Out of those 50m xbox one/x instal base, u got probably 40m casuals who almost never buy games and the other 10m already upgraded to xbox series x/s, there is a reason capcom decided no xbox one version for re4 remake- they made calcs are are 100% sure those sales on that platform would be so miniscule its not even worth the time/money needed to port it.

Roufianos

Some people seem to want a monopoly. Why?
I want to see a more competitive MS and a less arrogant Sony but won't be shedding any tears over these stats.

MS don't really deserve any success at this point, they've literally had the worst AAA output I can remember for any 1st party over the past year and a half. I almost feel duped for buying a Series X, lots of great PR, and seeming like the good guy, but almost zero output. They really need to get it together.

Luigi Mario

Stop posting things like this or Microsoft is gonna use it against Sony and Sony can't survive without COD!!!!!!!!

2IqcavJ.gif

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Exactly this many in here want conveniently ignore the ps4 version its 10 million total Playstation's vs 2 mill xbox.

To be fair, most multiplatform games has most of the sales on PS5 these days, compared to PS4. Software sales on PS4 has dramatically slowed.

Including the XBO will change the picture, but not nearly as much as you think.

Microsoft’s fault for screwing up Series X availability.

Lasha

The numbers speak for themselves and not what you're insinuating.

If every Xbox series, PS4, and PS5 owner bought a copy of resident evil 5 the distribution between platforms would also be around 80:20. The current distribution is what you would expect if xbox is only 20% of the market.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Series X is being sold at a discount on Amazon UK. Guess that means no shortages.
PS5 has had heavy discounts over the past 4 weeks too, there’s no shortage of either but evidently the demand for the PS5 is still high.

(It’s perfectly normal for bundles at the 3 year point and that’s in no way an indication of poor demand)

pKZH14S.jpg

OOfeokl.jpg

z4rQZSX.jpg

B24ZT6g.jpg

From the last week ^

jm89

PS5 has had heavy discounts over the past 4 weeks too, there’s no shortage of either but evidently the demand for the PS5 is still high.

(It’s perfectly normal for bundles at the 3 year point and that’s in no way an indication of poor demand)

pKZH14S.jpg

OOfeokl.jpg

z4rQZSX.jpg

B24ZT6g.jpg

From the last week ^
Those are some amazing bundles. The bt shop ragnarok bundle with an extra controller for £500 is bonkers.

I think alot of us have forgotten some of these types of deals use to be the norm, hopefully more retailers get more competitive.

StereoVsn

Basically this continues to show that essentially Xbox is becoming GamePass platform as far as sales go.

And people were up in arms about SE not releasing old JRPGs on it. Well, there is the answer, even high profile games don't sell well. Hogwarts I think had a similar breakdown.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
A little birdy told me Lidle sold 3% more tomatoes then Aldi in Q2 in '99. They were exclusives for a day. So unfair...

Calverz

Basically this continues to show that essentially Xbox is becoming GamePass platform as far as sales go.

And people were up in arms about SE not releasing old JRPGs on it. Well, there is the answer, even high profile games don't sell well. Hogwarts I think had a similar breakdown.
100%.

Square enix are fast going down the shiter so it’s obvious why they won’t release on Xbox. I do think ff16 will keep them ticking over for now. But their nft push I think is going to backfire spectacularly.

Top Bottom