• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFO'S: LAST WEEKEND TONIGHT

jason10mm

Gold Member
The ancient aliens stuff is a great watch, both to admire the ruins and camerawork and to have a laugh at the various theories. I've had fun reading chariots of the gods, various other books and theories. Ultimately when reading and researching you end up dismissing a lot which they present as killer evidence.

Christopher Dunn pyramids is a different level and his core theory has a logical basis and his recent book accepts where evidence has changed his thoughts. I like his engineer approach.

Graham Hancock is the most logical conclusion (that there was ancient civilisation), much more logical to link similar myths and religion etc than it being aliens and he has some great lectures on youtube. Shame he goes a bit hippy on drug talk.
See, he gets real cagey with what he considers "an advanced civilization". The implication is like a Roman tech group, somehow living in isolation in some now inaccessible place (island that sunk into the sea) that could circumnavigate the globe, peacefully interact with numerous stone age tribes to guide their development, but somehow leave no tools, pots, ships, or carvings behind, no structures, no bases, mines, ports, or bridges, no real linguistic connections, and yeah, it took 1000s of years for their guidance on domestication of animals and plants, development of technology, and cultural growth to have an affect. Not once did these guys import seeds, animals, or material (knowingly or unknowingly) in ways we can not account for with natural migration today, they lost no ships in any areas where everyone else did, and they built no structures in prime areas where everyone else did.

The idea is romantic, sure, but not plausible. More likely would be civilizations from 80K years ago wiped out and starting over from the supervolcano, but even then they cant have been mining much because evidence of that lasts practically forever.

See, he gets real cagey with what he considers "an advanced civilization". The implication is like a Roman tech group, somehow living in isolation in some now inaccessible place (island that sunk into the sea) that could circumnavigate the globe, peacefully interact with numerous stone age tribes to guide their development, but somehow leave no tools, pots, ships, or carvings behind, no structures, no bases, mines, ports, or bridges, no real linguistic connections, and yeah, it took 1000s of years for their guidance on domestication of animals and plants, development of technology, and cultural growth to have an affect. Not once did these guys import seeds, animals, or material (knowingly or unknowingly) in ways we can not account for with natural migration today, they lost no ships in any areas where everyone else did, and they built no structures in prime areas where everyone else did.

The idea is romantic, sure, but not plausible. More likely would be civilizations from 80K years ago wiped out and starting over from the supervolcano, but even then they cant have been mining much because evidence of that lasts practically forever.
Its been a while but my takeaway was that he believes a lot will be under the sea as coastlines changed with ice ages receeding (he showed dives on areas shown on old maps in his Netflix series). That catastrophy wiping out an advanced civilisation (as in sea faring, farming etc). He points to the piri reis map and believes based on older maps. Also genetic evidence of south America being inhabited by (if I remember correctly) Polynesian or Indiginous Australians.

Göbekli Tepe is proof that at least hunter gatherers were much more advanced builders and astronomers 12,000 years ago than we previously thought. I think there is scope for a lost civilisation yet to be uncovered. I am not talking flying saucers, pyramid building, stone levitating atlantians; but people who made advances in areas that took us thousands of years to reach again (and hundreds of years since surpassed) and possibly some advanced techniques never rediscovered.

I like the fact he is asking questions and getting more people interested in our past. Evidence as you state needs to be gathered but it won't be found if people aren't searching such places yet. An extra set of eyes can only help (even if it offends the professionals), the analysis and conclusions will follow any discoveries.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Its been a while but my takeaway was that he believes a lot will be under the sea as coastlines changed with ice ages receeding (he showed dives on areas shown on old maps in his Netflix series). That catastrophy wiping out an advanced civilisation (as in sea faring, farming etc). He points to the piri reis map and believes based on older maps. Also genetic evidence of south America being inhabited by (if I remember correctly) Polynesian or Indiginous Australians.

Göbekli Tepe is proof that at least hunter gatherers were much more advanced builders and astronomers 12,000 years ago than we previously thought. I think there is scope for a lost civilisation yet to be uncovered. I am not talking flying saucers, pyramid building, stone levitating atlantians; but people who made advances in areas that took us thousands of years to reach again (and hundreds of years since surpassed) and possibly some advanced techniques never rediscovered.

I like the fact he is asking questions and getting more people interested in our past. Evidence as you state needs to be gathered but it won't be found if people aren't searching such places yet. An extra set of eyes can only help (even if it offends the professionals), the analysis and conclusions will follow any discoveries.
I like him as well but he gets really defensive in ways I don't think he needs to. Personally I think he is just trying to keep the grift alive for $$$ as lots of the places he thinks could hide evidence have in fact been explored to various extents and nothing suspicious has been found.

The idea that polynesians could have travelled the pacific thousands of years before we "think" they did isn't really an upheaval of current theory IMHO, just the fuzziness of dating tech from relatively sparse scraps at times. But something like a large artifact building civilization in the Americas well before Columbus (the mound people, etc) or clear evidence of artistic commonalities between Egyptians and mesoamericans to give better evidence they shared information would be more compelling for me. I like the ancient astrounaut stuff as well but the more we look out into the stars the more remote we seem to actually be.

Top Bottom