• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 212 Aldo vs Holloway: Now We Will See Who Is The Real Cham...Number Two!!!

sirap

Who doesn't conor have to beat before people give him respect? a gorilla? Fuck people are so salty.

Conor could beat Jon Jones, peak-roids Lesnar and Mayweather in the same night and people would still find a way to hate on him lol.

Cracklox

Didn't realize this was this was this week end. Gunna flip my monitor upside down in preparation now and start praciticng how long i can hold a headstand.

Max really should lay a beat down if Jose actually stands and fights. Which is unlikely. Otherwise I'm banking on a lot of bobbing and weaving with the occasional leg kick from Jose and keeping a lot of distance and Jose doing, well, Jose

dabig2

He could start by you know, defending a championship.

Any championship. At least once.

Pretty much, LOL. Fucking nuthuggers man, coming up with the most strawman bullshit arguments on "oh he would totally destroy everyone and people will still make excuses on why he's the BEST!!!!"

No, we just want to see him fight the challengers to his belt. If he can beat them, then we'll talk. But as of now, he's the worst champion in the UFC and, honestly, in combat sports entirely. Ronda gets more respect from me in that she defended against her challengers numerous times. Her run was insane. Jon Jones' run was insane. GSP was insane. Canderson Silva was insane. Stipe's is getting there. Even Bisping is impressing me, despite his championship run being quite suspect. Conor hasn't shown us shit.

I don't care who you beat that one time to win a belt. I don't care about the people who you beat on the way to win that belt. I care about how you rise to the challenge and defend what you have against the hungriest guys available who want to take what's yours. That's what makes champions champions. That's who we celebrate years after the fact.

1. Aldo was under medical suspension, he couldn't take the fight even if he wanted to, and even if he wasn't, he deserved much better than to have to fill in on short notice for one of Conor's opponents. The UFC treated every dominant champion before him better than they treated Aldo.

2. It was an upset. Aldo is the unquestionable FW GOAT, and no one else comes close. Even the people who thought McGregor would win were shocked how it happened. There is a reason the phrase "flash KO" exist. The whole story wasn't told in that fight, and rather than stay and defend his belt McGregor was allowed by the UFC to move up.

3. McGregor has had a sizeable reach or height advantage, if not both, over pretty much every one he's ever fought. That will define more of his career than Aldo losing in what will probably go down in history as a freak KO.

4. Comparing McGregor to Serra is perfectly acceptable as neither ever defended their title. Actually, at least Serra tried.

As it stands McGregor being a 2 division champ will forever be marred by the fact the UFC made it easy on him and facilitated the accomplishment in no small part. History will chronicle how McGregor was alllowed to shirk his duties as champion, how he never defended his FW belt, how he held up the FW division going 1-1 with a LW gatekeeper at WW, was then gifted a LW title shot against a weak champion (also smaller than McGregor), was then was stripped of the FW belt, and then held up the LW division only to be stripped of that belt as well.

The feat of multiple simultaneous championships will be replicated eventually by fighters who didn't have opportunities handed to them when they were unworthy. People will remember that.

If McGregor goes down as the worst UFC champion in history, he deserves it.
1. Aldo has pulled out of as many booked UFC title defenses as he's showed up to, and many of them just two weeks before the date like UFC 176, which had to be cancelled. It's seriously damn near 50/50. When you want to talk about worst champions in UFC history, he's up there. Conor's never pulled out of a UFC fight after signing on the dotted line, and he's gone into a couple of them with some substantial injuries. That counts for something.

2. Sure, Conor KOing Aldo was an upset. As for calling Aldo the FW GOAT, again there should be a big ass asterisk on that GOAT status due to his aforementioned and unrivaled pullout rate.

3. Height and reach advantage over all his opponents? OK. Same with Jon Jones, at least in the reach department.

4. Comparing Conor to Serra is absolutely goddamn ridiculous, Conor went through a murderer's row (Siver notwithstanding) to get to his title shot and Serra won a TUF show against a bunch of other has-beens.

Pretty much, LOL. Fucking nuthuggers man, coming up with the most strawman bullshit arguments on "oh he would totally destroy everyone and people will still make excuses on why he's the BEST!!!!"

No, we just want to see him fight the challengers to his belt. If he can beat them, then we'll talk. But as of now, he's the worst champion in the UFC and, honestly, in combat sports entirely. Ronda gets more respect from me in that she defended against her challengers numerous times. Her run was insane. Jon Jones' run was insane. GSP was insane. Canderson Silva was insane. Stipe's is getting there. Even Bisping is impressing me, despite his championship run being quite suspect. Conor hasn't shown us shit.

I don't care who you beat that one time to win a belt. I don't care about the people who you beat on the way to win that belt. I care about how you rise to the challenge and defend what you have against the hungriest guys available who want to take what's yours. That's what makes champions champions. That's who we celebrate years after the fact.

I think DeRandame claims that title now that she's champion of a weight class that has like 2 people in it and she's ducking fights lol.

But yeah Conor is legit one of the worst champions in the sport. Zero title defenses. People try and make out like Aldo's name is forever tarnished by the McGregor loss but Aldo had 10 fucking title defenses against legit competition. When Conor has an achievement like that then we can discuss how great a champ he is.

-MD-

Who doesn't conor have to beat before people give him respect? a gorilla? Fuck people are so salty.

He's been a UFC champion for the better part of two years and hasn't even thought about defending a belt yet lol.

Your post is on point but let's be honest, Germaine is getting that title. Conor will have to settle for second worst champion.

I disagree on the basis the W145 division was only recently inaugurated at 208, Germaine is still actually injured, and I can't fault her for not wanting to fight a juicehead like Cyborg who's actually bigger than some male FW.

Conor has been a champ since December 2015 and hasn't defended either of his belts once and has now held up two division with no shortage of viable contenders.

1. Aldo has pulled out of as many booked UFC title defenses as he's showed up to, and many of them just two weeks before the date like UFC 176, which had to be cancelled. It's seriously damn near 50/50. When you want to talk about worst champions in UFC history, he's up there. Conor's never pulled out of a UFC fight after signing on the dotted line, and he's gone into a couple of them with some substantial injuries. That counts for something.

2. Sure, Conor KOing Aldo was an upset. As for calling Aldo the FW GOAT, again there should be a big ass asterisk on that GOAT status due to his aforementioned and unrivaled pullout rate.

3. Height and reach advantage over all his opponents? OK. Same with Jon Jones, at least in the reach department.

4. Comparing Conor to Serra is absolutely goddamn ridiculous, Conor went through a murderer's row (Siver notwithstanding) to get to his title shot and Serra won a TUF show against a bunch of other has-beens.

1. Aldo pulling out bears no relevance to his prowess in the cage. He was undefeated for 10 years and fought the best contenders in their prime.

2. Every GOAT has lost at some point or will lose or some point, that doesn't preclude them from being the GOAT, nor does it put an asterisk to their name. You wanna talk asterisks though? Cause McGregor has got a couple. Beating Aldo in 13 seconds can be considered a fluke and never doing the rematch will have people forever questioning how legitimate he would have been as a champion had had he defended the belt. Losing every minute of every round to an off the couch Mendes until he gassed puts an asterisk to winning the interim title and his ability to have won it against a full camp Mendes. Being gifted a LW title shot after going 1-1 at WW with Nate will put an asterisk on his career because he cut in line and avoided some dangerous fighters. Personally, I think almost exclusively fighting smaller fighters through his career will probably one of the bigger points Conor will be questioned on.

3. Same applies to Jones, yes, but to a far lesser extent considering how at the bigger weight classes the size difference matter less and less and how big Jon's opponents were, some of whom were very successful at heavyweight. He also fought guys his size and beat them. He faced adversity and came through against Gus, for example, and he beat more former champions.

4. Serra remains an apt comparison because neither defended the belt after they won it. As for facing a murderer's row... are you including Brimage and Barrao in that? Max was a good win, but the timing of it matters, a win over Max then does not nearly have the same weight as win now would have. And as I've stated above, the wins of Aldo and Mendes were big but both fights bear repeating to put a definite end to any questions. The only notable wins I don't question McGregor on at all are his wins against Max (regardless of timing, he was still good then and McGregor dominated), Porier (smashed him), Diaz II (didn't like how he fought but it was a legitimate win) and Alvarez (which was a master class in striking).

I don't doubt McGregor is legit, he obviously has a great fight IQ, great striking, and the touch of death in his hands, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some lingering questions on his career that history will not, I believe anyway, judge generously.

iddqd

This thread slipped into darkness pretty quick.

Will watch the PPV at a bar but I pity the fool who pays for it full price.

Conor could beat Jon Jones, peak-roids Lesnar and Mayweather in the same night and people would still find a way to hate on him lol.

Lol we're in fantasyland now. I wonder how long until we get questions like, "could McGregor beat a grizzly bear with his bare hands?"

McGregor is good, very good. I think he'd be really tough to beat at 145 and would be favored against Aldo in a rematch. I think Holloway would give him a tough fight as well in a rematch. Frankie would be a good test too. At 155 he would still be tough and could beat anyone in the division, but he'd have more problems there. He lost the rematch to Diaz IMO and Alvarez was an overachiever and overrated fighter. There are plenty of 155ers who will give him trouble and McGregor knows it. He's not dumb.

IMO to be considered a great champion, you have to defend your belt multiple times. McGregor is already talking about going up to 170 and fighting Woodley or boxing with Mayweather. In the unlikely event he wins those fights, he would be an even greater fighter, but not a great champion.

I disagree on the basis the W145 division was only recently inaugurated at 208, Germaine is still actually injured, and I can't fault her for not wanting to fight a juicehead like Cyborg who's actually bigger than some male FW.

Conor has been a champ since December 2015 and hasn't defended either of his belts once and has now held up two division with no shortage of viable contenders.

1. Aldo pulling out bears no relevance to his prowess in the cage. He was undefeated for 10 years and fought the best contenders in their prime.

2. Every GOAT has lost at some point or will lose or some point, that doesn't preclude them from being the GOAT, nor does it put an asterisk to their name. You wanna talk asterisks though? Cause McGregor has got a couple. Beating Aldo in 13 seconds can be considered a fluke and never doing the rematch will have people forever questioning how legitimate he would have been as a champion had had he defended the belt. Losing every minute of every round to an off the couch Mendes until he gassed puts an asterisk to winning the interim title and his ability to have won it against a full camp Mendes. Being gifted a LW title shot after going 1-1 at WW with Nate will put an asterisk on his career because he cut in line and avoided some dangerous fighters. Personally, I think almost exclusively fighting smaller fighters through his career will probably one of the bigger points Conor will be questioned on.

3. Same applies to Jones, yes, but to a far lesser extent considering how at the bigger weight classes the size difference matter less and less and how big Jon's opponents were, some of whom were very successful at heavyweight. He also fought guys his size and beat them. He faced adversity and came through against Gus, for example, and he beat more former champions.

4. Serra remains an apt comparison because neither defended the belt after they won it. As for facing a murderer's row... are you including Brimage and Barrao in that? Max was a good win, but the timing of it matters, a win over Max then does not nearly have the same weight as win now would have. And as I've stated above, the wins of Aldo and Mendes were big but both fights bear repeating to put a definite end to any questions. The only notable wins I don't question McGregor on at all are his wins against Max (regardless of timing, he was still good then and McGregor dominated), Porier (smashed him), Diaz II (didn't like how he fought but it was a legitimate win) and Alvarez (which was a master class in striking).

I don't doubt McGregor is legit, he obviously has a great fight IQ, great striking, and the touch of death in his hands, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have some lingering questions on his career that history will not, I believe anyway, judge generously.
When RDA pulled out of his title fight with McGregor, Aldo turned down a chance to get that L back. Diaz wasn't the first choice. Aldo likes to pull out 2 weeks before a fight plenty, but refuses to be the other side of that coin. Also, lol @ "off the couch" Mendes. I was in Vegas for that fight and the week leading up to it, I was hearing Mendes go on and on about how he had already been training and that he was more than ready. Losing every minute of every round doesn't really matter when you definitively finish someone.

Also, doubling down on your Matt Serra nonsense?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

MjFrancis

José Aldo vs. Max Holloway
Cláudia Gadelha vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
Vitor Belfort vs. Nate Marquardt
Paulo Borrachinha vs. Oluwale Bamgbose
Erick Silva vs. Yancy Medeiros

My mostly uninformed picks seem safe enough. Mostly just betting against Brazil, though I was tempted to call it for Paulo.

When RDA pulled out of his title fight with McGregor, Aldo turned down a chance to get that L back.

Medically suspended. I've said this already. Keep up.

Diaz wasn't the first choice.

Diaz was on the radar from the moment he called Conor out, and probably was the first choice considering the quality of the promo he cut on Conor. But what's your point with this?

Aldo likes to pull out 2 weeks before a fight plenty, but refuses to be the other side of that coin.

Aldo gets injured a lot, and what of it? How does that have any bearing on his record? When he shows up, he dominates.

Also, lol @ "off the couch" Mendes. I was in Vegas for that fight and the week leading up to it, I was hearing Mendes go on and on about how he had already been training and that he was more than ready.

Chad was not training at the time, and certainly not for a fight. What did you expect him to say? "I'm in the worst shape of my life and I probably won't be able to win if it goes longer than 5 minutes"?

I bet you believed the UFC too when they said Nate had been training for a triathlon when he agreed to fight Conor on short notice.

Losing every minute of every round doesn't really matter when you definitively finish someone.

It does when you're losing in every facet of the fight and only win when the guy runs out of gas. The fight wasn't turning towards Conor's favour while Chad was competitive. He was losing convincingly. Then, after Chad gassed, he knocked him out. It was pretty clear.

Please.

Conor had every opportunity to defend prove otherwise. He fought three times since he beat Aldo. Didn't defend the belt once.

He's the FW Matt Sera until he proves otherwise by rematching Aldo or at least defends a title against a real contender.

Will watch the PPV at a bar but I pity the fool who pays for it full price.

Only way I'll be able to watch it. I work tonight and by the time In get off the main card will be almost over. I have to DVR it or miss the fight a entirely so full price is my only option

Oscar

McGregor is going to do a bunch of gimmick fights for the money because that what he is, a gimmick looking for the biggest pay day.

He's even straight up about it too.

Get in, get rich, get out. He doesn't give a fuck about being GOAT or anything like that.

N° 2048

Get in, get rich, get out. He doesn't give a fuck about being GOAT or anything like that.

Sucks for us MMA fans but he played it smart, he's set and his kid(s) are set for life too.

I would love to see him fight three times a year but the man is hustling and I can't blame him especially with MMA pay the way it is.

iddqd

Only way I'll be able to watch it. I work tonight and by the time In get off the main card will be almost over. I have to DVR it or miss the fight a entirely so full price is my only option

I hope for you that you are not in the eastern time zone and that everyone gets their stuff done quick. Could be a long night for you otherwise.

gogogow

McGregor is going to do a bunch of gimmick fights for the money because that what he is, a gimmick looking for the biggest pay day.

Conor is a skilled fighter and entertaining to watch. Even as a fan, I hope he makes his money and get out ASAP. Just yesterday I watched a video of boxers with CTE. That video is just heartbreaking. Get in, get rich, get out. I don't blame him.

It's sad.
How much money does he need???
The saddest part is he could prove to be one of the greatest ever but he chose shenanigans.
I blame Dana for enabling all this nonsense.
Conor's just exploiting that egghead.

It's sad.
How much money does he need???
The saddest part is he could prove to be one of the greatest ever but he chose shenanigans.
I blame Dana for enabling all this nonsense.
Conor's just exploiting that egghead.

His entire lifetime earning potential is limited to the next 2-3 years max. If someone told you that by the time you were 31 or 32 you will have made all of the money you will likely have made for the rest of your entire life, youd get every dollar you could too. He is putting his livelyhood ahead of being "the goat" or whatever other platitudes people want to shower him with that at the end of the day mean nothing and don't put food on his dinner table. All those guys that end up being "fan favorite" fighters because of the style they fight or because they take on all comers often end up retiring with nothing to show for it.

A guy maximizing his skill set and making a living off of it is far from "sad".

-MD-

When RDA pulled out of his title fight with McGregor, Aldo turned down a chance to get that L back. Diaz wasn't the first choice. Aldo likes to pull out 2 weeks before a fight plenty, but refuses to be the other side of that coin. Also, lol @ "off the couch" Mendes. I was in Vegas for that fight and the week leading up to it, I was hearing Mendes go on and on about how he had already been training and that he was more than ready. Losing every minute of every round doesn't really matter when you definitively finish someone.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Aldo was offered that short notice rematch like 2 months after getting knocked out, and it was at an entirely different weight class with no title on the line.

Anyone would've declined it, including your boy McGregor.

And Mendes was selling a fight, "I was sitting up in a tree hunting for the last 3 weeks while Conor was training for a championship fight" isn't gonna sell tickets, pretty obvious.

Syder

Why are we talking about Conor so much?

I'm just looking forward to Holloway getting his crown tonight.

His entire lifetime earning potential is limited to the next 2-3 years max. If someone told you that by the time you were 31 or 32 you will have made all of the money you will likely have made for the rest of your entire life, youd get every dollar you could too. He is putting his livelyhood ahead of being "the goat" or whatever other platitudes people want to shower him with that at the end of the day mean nothing and don't put food on his dinner table. All those guys that end up being "fan favorite" fighters because of the style they fight or because they take on all comers often end up retiring with nothing to show for it.

He already made all the money anyone could need before this Mayweather garbage.
Not to mention getting a title shot he never earned only to then make a mockery of the sport by not defending any championship.
Dana is the real problem though, a complete sucker and Conor's puppet.
Your narrative is cute though.
Here's mine:
He wants nothing to do with Khabib as he will get taken down and humiliated making his freak show billionaire status take a big hit.
I guess he is smart after all.

danthefan

Aldo was offered that short notice rematch like 2 months after getting knocked out, and it was at an entirely different weight class with no title on the line.

Anyone would've declined it, including your boy McGregor.

And Mendes was selling a fight, "I was sitting up in a tree hunting for the last 3 weeks while Conor was training for a championship fight" isn't gonna sell tickets, pretty obvious.

And yet, McGregor went and fought Diaz instead after RDA cried off.

At an entirely different weight class.

With no title one the line.

Wait what???

He already made all the money anyone could need before this Mayweather garbage.
Not to mention getting a title shot he never earned only to then make a mockery of the sport by not defending any championship.
Dana is the real problem though, a complete sucker and Conor's puppet.
Your narrative is cute though.
Here's mine:
He wants nothing to do with Khabib as he will get taken down and humiliated making his freak show billionaire status take a big hit.
I guess he is smart after all.

Who are you to say how much money someone needs? Why should gaining you or anyone else's personal adoration be more important than money?

My narrative may be cute, yours is am radio hot take trash.

This is the worst ufc thread I have ever seen.

If you watch via ufc.tv is there any way to see the prelims? Friend's house i'm going to doesn't have cable. We'll probably use my FP to watch the FP prelims but I wanted to see how Moreas does

Simply being a champion in the sport is enough for the guy to open his own gym and train fighters and wannabes for a living.

His prime athletic years are indeed where his highest earning potential is, sure. But you're taking it a step too far to suggest he won't be able to make anything after he retires.

Athlete's that end up broke after retirement are usually the result of bad finances, terrible investments, and more rarely bad luck/circumstances.

If he wants to chase circus fights for big paydays, that's his perogative. However fight fans are not required to like or respect him for that. Especially when his doing so freezes out entire divisions.

And your statement about "GOAT" not putting food on the table is quite plainly bullshit. If not for fans throwing that term around, nobody would give a fuck about the Mayweather fight at all. Both Conor and Mayweather made the lionshare of their money because of claims of being GOAT.

Can we all agree to put an embargo on this Conor shit, or at least keep it in the OT?

This is a good card.

Fight Pass prelims don't even start for another 2 hours. FS1 prelims in 4. There's not a whole lot to talk about for this event before it even starts anyways. It's like this in every UFC event thread.

Random bs until it starts... decent live discussion during... random awful bs afterwards.

VoxPop

Why are you all talking about Conor the GOAT in a thread for a fight about second place?

I'm legit excited for this fight. Aldo is only 30 and should still be in his prime as evidenced by his domination of Edgar. I just want to see if Holloway has reached that next level yet. I see him putting up a hard fought battle only to lose the 49-46 decision.

Top Bottom