• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft on backlash: There are no current plans to implement achievements in Assassin's Creed Valhalla on Steam

Gamezone

Gold Member
After currently 124 pages and 1860 comments on the Assassin's Creed Valhalla Steam forums Ubisoft finally replied that they are not bringing achievements to their newly released title, and have no plans of doing so in the future. I would like to note that their two previous titles had Steam achievements. People are pretty pissed on how they came back.

By the way, I know that many users here don't care about achievements, and aren't able to understand why others do. We don't care.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would have snatched it up for the current price if it had achievements (even though it still requires Ubisoft Connect). Not interested in getting the Steam copy if they're not going to fully utilize the platform features, doubly so when it returns to full price.

I think big publishers underestimate the role that achievements play, especially when looking at the third party success of Sony and Microsoft on Steam specifically.

Eimran

Wasn't implementing achievements mandatory in all new games or is this console only?

As someone who like trophy hunting I'd say get your shit together ubisoft. It's like 1% of the total effort you have to put in a game. You are no longer the 2000's Ubisoft who has enough credit with the community to pull this kind of crap.

Kacho

What is this...2010? How is this basic feature not something a giant pub like Ubi can handle? Screams laziness on their part and they deserve the mixed reviews they're about to get.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What is this...2010? How is this basic feature not something a giant pub like Ubi can handle? Screams laziness on their part and they deserve the mixed reviews they're about to get.
From the wording in their reply, it seems that the in-game achievements activate on Ubisoft Connect and not Steam itself. So - this seems like a deliberate move to intentionally cripple this version of the game in favor of their own service yet again. Ubi never changes.

Kacho

From the wording in their reply, it seems that the in-game achievements activate on Ubisoft Connect and not Steam itself. So - this seems like a deliberate move to intentionally cripple this version of the game in favor of their own service yet again. Ubi never changes.
But like...no one values the Uplay ecosystem or the achievements there. I don't have a friends list on Uplay because ain't nobody using that to keep in touch and see what others are playing. It's so insanely stupid.

jshackles

But like...no one values the Uplay ecosystem or the achievements there. I don't have a friends list on Uplay because ain't nobody using that to keep in touch and see what others are playing. It's so insanely stupid.
Now you know why this is controversial

Gamezone

Gold Member
Wasn't implementing achievements mandatory in all new games or is this console only?

As someone who like trophy hunting I'd say get your shit together ubisoft. It's like 1% of the total effort you have to put in a game. You are no longer the 2000's Ubisoft who has enough credit with the community to pull this kind of crap.

Console only. And Epic will make it mandatory when their publishing tools goes out of beta, which is honestly the right decision against laziness like this.

Danknugz

i only care about xbox ecosystem achievements because some pathetic loser reported my gamer tag and MS reset my entire gamer score from 230k all the way to 0 in 2016. Ten years of gaming history out the window just because i had one or two games i cheated on. i only feel the need to get back to where i was.

maybe it has to do with xbox being the original achievements, but i honestly do not give a shit at all about steam achievements and playstation trophies. i would never go out of my way to rag on them or tell other people they shouldn't care about them though lol.

Kacho

maybe it has to do with xbox being the original achievements, but i honestly do not give a shit at all about steam achievements and playstation trophies. i would never go out of my way to rag on them or tell other people they shouldn't care about them though lol.
On Steam it's just an expected feature at this point. People won't bat an eye if a neckbeard game like Dwarf Fortress doesn't have Steam achievements. It's hard to forgive a big pub like Ubi or EA when they skip out on them though.

Hell, to EAs credit they patched in achievements months after bringing their games back to Steam.

When something like this happens, I always want to know to real reason behind the decision, since they didn't specify the reason, I assume it's something that would make people angry even more. I am not the achievement hunter, but this for some reasons seems like Ubisoft taking one last shot at Steam while they still can.

Gamezone

Gold Member
When something like this happens, I always want to know to real reason behind the decision, since they didn't specify the reason, I assume it's something that would make people angry even more. I am not the achievement hunter, but this for some reasons seems like Ubisoft taking one last shot at Steam while they still can.

Ubisoft usually ignore Steam achievements on their games, but their to previous Assassin's Creed games had them, so people are more pissed about Valhalla because of that. It's almost like they are angry because they had to come back to Steam. "Here, have our game, but you won't be enjoying any Steam features".

Midn1ght

This, I think Ubisoft execs aren't exactly thrilled to be back on Valve's platform.

There's literally nothing negative about having Steam Achievements in their games, they are probably just stupid enough to believe that by keeping them exclusive to their platform, millions of players are going to discover Ubi Connect and buy their games on there in the future.

Or even better, wait for them to come up with some NFT shenanigans that are somehow linked to UbiConnect Achievements.

That’s the funny thing here. This should be a non issue but it has reached a larger point of stupidity.

Replace with 'Ubisoft'

BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

Mowcno

Don't know why they released it on steam. Without any steam features like achievements or the ability to play it without ubisoft connect it's identical to the version in the ubisoft store anyway.

Poor and meaningless return to steam.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Don't know why they released it on steam. Without any steam features like achievements or the ability to play it without ubisoft connect it's identical to the version in the ubisoft store anyway.

Poor and meaningless return to steam.

They probably want Steam releases to be less meaningful so people buy more on their own client.

EDMIX

From people who bought it. Many didn't because of the missing feature.

If someone didn't buy a game based on this, I question why they are playing games in the first place.

One of the first things I did when I got a PS5 a month ago was turn off trophy notifications. Thats nice I got some, I don't want shit flashing all over the screen every 5 seconds cause something happened lol I rarely sync it and idgaf lol

So I'd say those reviews being mostly positive have to do with their focus on actually mainly playing a game.... I don't even think I'd realize anything was off as I have that shit turned off on Steam too lol

We got enough menus and pop ups and UI things going on in games to have even more. I'm about that limited HUD life theses days

edit, you could be on to something regarding them wanting more on their client though.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I've never heard anyone really caring about achievements on Steam.

The obsessed farming is exclusive to Xbox and PlayStation.
I’m a little newer to PC gaming, but I do indeed care about achievements on Steam. However, I kicked my trophy habit on PlayStation because the platinum trophy, and I realized I wouldn’t play games because one or two of the trophies might make the plat near impossible. That said, I played through Valhalla on PS5 anyway, and wouldn’t repurchase it on Steam… but how fucking hard is it after you already have a game with on a bunch of systems with trophies/achievements on other systems, to add them on your Steam version? Got no problems fine tuning your micro transactions and level scaling, but can’t add achievements 🤔. This level of laziness and greed is another reason why I’m pretty much done with Ubi. Offer the whole experience that you offer on other outlets, or don’t offer it at all…regardless if it’s something not at the top of everyone’s list.

Last edited:

Drew1440

There are literal games that exist on Steam for the sole purpose of unlocking achievements so the icons can be displayed on your profile.

As for Ubisoft, its usually a bad sign when the developer cant even be bothered to implement achievements for their own game, unless they are exclusive to uPlay (Does that still exist?)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’m a little newer to PC gaming, but I do indeed care about achievements on Steam. However, I kicked my trophy habit on PlayStation because the platinum trophy, and I realized I wouldn’t play games because one or two of the trophies might make the plat near impossible. That said, I played through Valhalla on PS5 anyway, and wouldn’t repurchase it on Steam… but how fucking hard is it after you already have a game with on a bunch of systems with trophies/achievements on other systems, to add them on your Steam version? Got no problems fine tuning your micro transactions and level scaling, but can’t add achievements 🤔. This level of laziness and greed is another reason why I’m pretty much done with Ubi. Offer the whole experience that you offer on other outlets, or don’t offer it at all…regardless if it’s something not at the top of everyone’s list.

There are literal games that exist on Steam for the sole purpose of unlocking achievements so the icons can be displayed on your profile.

As for Ubisoft, its usually a bad sign when the developer cant even be bothered to implement achievements for their own game, unless they are exclusive to uPlay (Does that still exist?)
Tbh I don't get it.

Achievements doesn't matter on any platform, but where you get a gamers core on xbox you get literally nothing on steam.

No score or anything.

LordCBH

They probably want Steam releases to be less meaningful so people buy more on their own client.

Can you even buy from their client? I loaded up the UPlay app yesterday and the only options were my library and news I think. Does Ubi make you purchase through a web browser now if you wanna buy from them?

PhaseJump

Banned
A stupid oversight, not meeting bare minimum expectations.

The more egregious thing I noticed is that Xbox PC games on Windows don't always have achievements either, despite them being in console versions and PC versions on Steam. This also despite Xbox achievements that are present on console/PC typically sync up and pop the Steam version's achievements in first party games like Halo MCC.

Ubisoft usually ignore Steam achievements on their games, but their to previous Assassin's Creed games had them, so people are more pissed about Valhalla because of that. It's almost like they are angry because they had to come back to Steam. "Here, have our game, but you won't be enjoying any Steam features".
Watch Ubisoft having to apologize one week from now and getting even angrier because of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I play all the time on Steam and never knew they had achievements. I'm assuming this is different to those card things?

adamosmaki

Is this like EA games that forces you to install their crappy malware app? Valhalla like decent for a change after so many ubisoft disappointments

The Shepard

i only care about xbox ecosystem achievements because some pathetic loser reported my gamer tag and MS reset my entire gamer score from 230k all the way to 0 in 2016. Ten years of gaming history out the window just because i had one or two games i cheated on. i only feel the need to get back to where i was.

How did you cheat?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If I didn't already have VALHALLA on PC or if I knew how to share saves across the clients I'd grab it on STEAM just to not have to deal with the UBISOFT launcher. This is just an odd decision to saddle on an excellent decision (giving players choice on where they want to keep their "digital games").

Imagine enjoying a game for its own sake without a dangling carrot to follow.

The horror.

I love how the onus is on the consumer to explain why they want a feature that exists already for other platforms and not on the publisher for explaining why this feature doesn't exist. Achievements can be an excellent in-game challenge if they aren't tedious and given by simply playing the game (see how Paradox does their achievements for their grand strategy games). But being the internet, and we never miss an opportunity to thumb our noses at people for liking things we see no value in.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Tbh I don't get it.

Achievements doesn't matter on any platform, but where you get a gamers core on xbox you get literally nothing on steam.

No score or anything.

I think the issue is your inability to look past how you feel about achievements in order to see other perspectives. Everyone plays games differently. I love achievements. When I get an achievement it's confirmation of a milestone that has been achieved. I like that.

Beyond enjoying the milestones in the story, achievements give me additional goals to work towards to expand my playtime on a game. Depending on the type of achievement it could encourage me to play the game in a different manner than I normally do. For example, there could be an achievement that asks a player to be stealthy when the player generally runs head-first into situations (or vice versa), or an achievement that requires you to use certain weapon/ability combinations. These types of achievements often give me a different way to play the game, and that generally brings more enjoyment from the game.

Whether or not you enjoy achievements, they have their place in video games. Ubisoft was lazy with this Steam port, and they should be called out for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom