• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two more Next Gen Games from Chinese and South Korean studios showing Western devs how it's done.

ParaSeoul

Would be very surprised if Honor of Kings looks like that,I don't know why people jerk off Dokev so much,it has that very amateurish Unreal engine look.
Black Myth Wukong is still the strongest game we've seen from a Non Japanese Asian dev so far in all aspects.

Dokev is massive uncanny valley for me, because you can see that the motion capturing was done by adults, which doesn't gel with the kiddie-/SD-proportions. I see grown people wearing like mascot-kiddie-suits in a too big world. Creepy as fuck.

Last edited:

MadPanda

Banned
In what way are they showing western devs how it's done? all they did was release some promotional videos and that's it. Let them make it, release it and after we play it we can make such claims. And they don't look so much better than what we've already seen.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I wonder if they archieve this by having pure talent (easier to find 1000 super talented person from 1 billion people vs 5 million(small eu countries)), or by pure brute force aka easier to make huge and good looking games by paying 1/100th of what devs get paid on western studios and having so many people doing it that it goes fast?

Still kind of surreal how "never heard" studios make these games, but I guess they could be really famous studios in their area

Whatever it is, that dokev looks really interesting and "gamey like" aka they are just doing a game, not some real life simulator with real life limits and influence. Definetly going to get it if it is as good at it seems to be
I seen a show that showed a factory floor in some Chinese city filled with artists recreating masters with impeccable detail, the level of artistry on display was mindboggling yet it was a production line churning out incredible pieces, when you can draw on a population of over a billion people you can bet your arse you'll get tons of truly talented people so they pay fuck all but get top tier talent and most of all lots of them

Shut0wen

Suth Korean absolutely its about time they joined in, chinese absolutely not, there is literally 0 creativity from china because of the chinese education thats why they have no copyright laws

Tams

I mean, they look on par with big budget Western and Japanese games...

Impressive work but not the groundbreaking stuff you are claiming.

And of course it remains to be seen if these games are actually fun to play.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The chinese one is CGI, will enver look like that might not even see the light of day. Doubts about the south Korean one as well so stfu op. No wonder idiots used to fall for all those E3 "gameplay" videos back in the day. You dumbasses will leat up anything. Lmfao.

Last edited:

mejin

Don't fall for their projects, they're selling dreams. I'll believe It exist when they launch the game.

ripeavocado

Banned
I don’t thin they show “how it’s done” since their games have a lot of issues and belong to a certain genre but they are definitely developed by people with a strong passion about games.

Then you have the modern western devs that are narcissistic woke morons that abuse their employees and are often old, jaded and don’t care about games anymore.

That’s the main difference.

Last edited:

Aion002

Black Desert devs and Tencent....

Suspicious Donny GIF by Apple TV

PaintTinJr

Black Myth Wukong and Crimson Desert were no anomalies. Two more games from these no-name Asian studios were revealed recently, and they look a gen ahead of pretty much every game released by Western and even Japanese studios so far this gen.

Both games look absolutely spectacular.

rI2lUSl.gif

E4HaJt9.gif

Er2hxjC.gif

The DokeV trailer shows a very lived in city with lots of NPCs going about their lives. It feels alive in a way cyberpunk, watch dogs, and even rdr2 did not.

It's just shocking that while AAA western and Japanese studios are stuck making cross gen games, these mobile devs are out there able to get visuals like this on their first ever AAA game.

That's a pretty weird title IMO - especially where Dokev is concerned - because I would swear blind that most of the animations sequences haven't just been inspired by hit games from Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, SquareEnix, SIE, etc, but have been taken from reverse engineering games like WindWaker's - the kids doing the chain game on Outset island - actual game assets.

But even if it is the former, copying game mechanics/style from amazing games from the last 2 decades - without context if it fits a (good?) game story - on top end PC hardware, so without constraints , is hardly showing the super talented western devs "how to do it"; especially when western living budgets is the major limiting factor for employing development and $/£500 consoles are the baseline hardware.

Last edited:

BlackTron

One thing that just came to mind is that in China, PC is the dominant gaming platform.

So, it is more likely for Chinese devs to scale up graphics as much as they possibly can. They are not targeting a lower spec like PS5 with their games. They can just turn the dial all the way up and let people change the settings as needed.

This is in contrast to say Sony who wants Horizon to look as good as possible on Playstation, but not really much better than that anywhere else, even for a PC version.

mortal

Gold Member
Shouldn't you at least wait till they're released and actually playable before making such a bold claim?

I find it amusing how you're ready to dismiss decades of prolific and innovative western game design because a couple of unproven projects had nice visuals in their trailers.
It's not as if Chinese and Korean developers are above faking gameplay demos and over promising.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'll gladly be proven wrong, but I'd wait until these games are actually out before singing their praises.
Say what you want about a game like Gow Ragnarok not pushing visuals as much as people hoped, but at least you can be almost completely certain it will actually release next year, will play and perform great and will look as good or better than the reveal trailer.

That Honor of Kings video has a very fake look to it, and like most of these chinese games it will now probably go MiA for 5-6 years and then show up looking differently.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
None of these games are coming out before 2023, though. I think by then we'll probably start to be getting out of the cross gen period.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am not really convinced either. It doesn't look a gen ahead necessarily. It just looks like we're actually seeing AAA games with vibrant and eye catching art styles.

I made the case earlier that everyone should buy the upcoming Project Eve. If you want neat action games with attractive characters then its time to support South Korean and Chinese games. Western studios will never make those ever again. Buying a copy of Assassins Creed does nothing. But if Project Eve sold 2-3 million on consoles it would dramatically change the course of gaming investment in South Korea. Same goes for Black Myth Wukong.

Its nothing that insane. Its just AAA action games from a non-SJW culture.

Guess why the look spectacular. Either way they run on high end PCs and will most likely be downgraded for final release or the trailers are fake as fuck.

Airbus Jr

Banned
China and Korea will become the new gaming giant in the future ( Japan at this point is an old player of course)

I see some Gaf member from north america and europe still underestimating and having some hard time to deal with this

And the truth is im kinda tired now with some western dev its either full of woke shit, lazy relying on the same ip and greedy microtranscaction like EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc

Even the one that used to be great like CDProject and Rockstar start to decline

We need more people from different countries to jump in more options are always welcomed

Broaden your perspective guys and start apreciate talent from different nation

Any talented videogame developer from asia..brazil..mexico...midle east...italy...anywhere..i always apreciate..

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder if they archieve this by having pure talent (easier to find 1000 super talented person from 1 billion people vs 5 million(small eu countries)), or by pure brute force aka easier to make huge and good looking games by paying 1/100th of what devs get paid on western studios and having so many people doing it that it goes fast?

Still kind of surreal how "never heard" studios make these games, but I guess they could be really famous studios in their area

Whatever it is, that dokev looks really interesting and "gamey like" aka they are just doing a game, not some real life simulator with real life limits and influence. Definetly going to get it if it is as good at it seems to be
Nah it’s because they are targeting next Gen specs while most western and Japanese devs are still targeting last gen specs. Its really that simple.

Western devs have learned not to show their games before they are far along in development or they will get shit for "downgrading". Either way, I think it's cool that Asia is becoming a bigger player in game development.
Have they? Both Sony and MS have announced games with cg and In game trailers recently. Spider-Man is literally Two years away and Wolverine is probably a 2024 title.

And gow was revealed pretty late and it still looks last gen. The issue isn’t when the game is revealed, its simply the tech behind it. Western and Japanese devs chose to make last gen games and handicapped themselves, and are getting outclassed by mobile devs from China.

hyperbertha

Most of these chinese games look like they play like absolute shit. DokeV looks impressive though. Black Myth Wukong looks mediocre. Elden Ring all the way.

We got see these games in action. The chinese/Korean market have been pumping out some astounding game trailers recently (DokeV and Wukong blow my fucking mind) but atm that's all they are.... trailers. Heavily edited , predominantly cgi trailers.

If even one of these games gets released and looks remotely like the trailers then consider me fully onboard the koren/chinese hype train. Until then they late just doing what most gamers spent years bitching at western devs for, releasing utterly unrealistic trailers that have no semblance to the real.

I'd keep expectations in check. Jesus christ we are STILL waiting on Lost Aside.
Black Myth Wukong and Crimson Desert were no anomalies. Two more games from these no-name Asian studios were revealed recently, and they look a gen ahead of pretty much every game released by Western and even Japanese studios so far this gen.

Both games look absolutely spectacular.

rI2lUSl.gif

E4HaJt9.gif

Er2hxjC.gif

The DokeV trailer shows a very lived in city with lots of NPCs going about their lives. It feels alive in a way cyberpunk, watch dogs, and even rdr2 did not.

It's just shocking that while AAA western and Japanese studios are stuck making cross gen games, these mobile devs are out there able to get visuals like this on their first ever AAA game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
We got see these games in action. The chinese/Korean market have been pumping out some astounding game trailers recently (DokeV and Wukong blow my fucking mind) but atm that's all they are.... trailers. Heavily edited , predominantly cgi trailers.

If even one of these games gets released and looks remotely like the trailers then consider me fully onboard the koren/chinese hype train. Until then they late just doing what most gamers spent years bitching at western devs for, releasing utterly unrealistic trailers that have no semblance to the real.

I'd keep expectations in check. Jesus christ we are STILL waiting on Lost Aside.
Black Myth Wukong are in game gameplay its using Unreal Engine 5

That Honor i dont know but it looks like a CryEngine game

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And the truth is im kinda tired with some western dev its full of woke shit, lazy and greedy microtranscaction like EA, Ubisoft, Activision

Even the one that used to be great like CDProject and Rockstar start to declin
There is a lot of that holding back developers. GTA is in development hell because of woke devs forcing out one of the houser brothers. 8 years without a gta game when they used to release 3 games in that span.

Cyberpunk wasn’t woke but they wouldn’t leave last gen behind and it came back to bite them in the ass.

Microtransactions are a huge part of Chinese games. See how genshin impact made almost $3 billion last year. It’s just that ea and activision have devs who have shackled themselves to last gen hardware.

Then you have Sony devs who put storytelling first and foremost… their boss’ words not mine, and it’s clear where their priorities lie. You can tell a great story without needing to innovate and take advantage of next Gen hardware. Their games take years to make so not sure wtf they are doing for five years making last gen sequels. Incompetency? Focus on the wrong things?

Ms devs take years to make one game. They are focusing on next Gen games but all they have shown after years of dev time are cg trailers so they are either lazy or incompetent or lack direction. Why ever wild is still in preproduction is beyond me. Why none of the cg trailers from 2020 get an in game reveal in 2021 is hard to fathom.

Nintendo devs are held back by handheld specs. And yet they still take 5 years to make a botw sequel on ps360 specs.

Is like everyone has turned into rocksteady and BioWare. In constant development hell. Taking forever to release games. Only difference is that BioWare released buggy games because EA would rush them out while these devs get to delay their games over and over again.

The industry is in a really bad state at the moment, and the devs supposed to be leading to the charge towards innovation are happy being stagnant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Doke looks amazing but definitely not for me. And Pearl Abyss??? Where the hell is Crimson Desert and Plan 8??? UGH.

Honor of Kings: World looks great. Saw it a few days ago and already added it to my future games list.

The original trailer was running UE4 and they've now moved to UE5 which imo is even more reason to be suspicious of how much is actually gameplay and how representative the graphics are of the final release.

Kings Honor I believe is running on thier own priority engine but I could be wrong.

I like that they are pushing boundaries, but if past is prologue the trailers will end up be far more impressive than the final product. Western devs did this for years and have only just started to take a step back (because fans rioted). I'll believe it when I can play it. I am optimistic though !
Black Myth Wukong are in game gameplay its using Unreal Engine 5

That Honor i dont know but it looks like a CryEngine game

rolandss

Then you have Sony devs who put storytelling first and foremost… their boss’ words not mine, and it’s clear where their priorities lie. You can tell a great story without needing to innovate and take advantage of next Gen hardware. Their games take years to make so not sure wtf they are doing for five years making last gen sequels. Incompetency? Focus on the wrong things?
Sony devs are also shackled by the PS4. Gran Turismo 7 should have been a showcase of the PS5s true power but it’s relying on the same underlying tech as GT Sport because it’s a cross gen title. But the reality is we’re still just a year into the generation. We haven’t seen what any other major Sony studios are working on for next gen.

Miles708

It's always a bit of an artistic mishmash of concepts, but techically they look great.
I hope chinese/corean devs can develop their own artistic sensibility on videogames. They're on the right track, that's for sure.

SlimySnake

As everyone is saying, at this point they’re nothing but trailers. Let’s see released product. Here’s hoping the final games match what we’ve been shown.
But thats precisely the point and what everyone seems to be missing. The games by CHinese and Korean studios are already at the stage where they are actual games with gameplay. Meanwhile western studios who have announced next gen games are still hiring CG studios to do CG trailers because they have nothing to fucking show. That means at best they are behind these Chinese studios when it comes to next gen games development. It's shocking and a black eye to everyone involved in the industry to be getting outclassed by mobile devs whose only talent is ripping off code and art from western and japanese studios.

Mess

Asia (besides good old Japan) stepping up its game is a good thing. And will obviously happen. The more (good) games the better.

As for these trailers, let's wait to see how the end products looks like and especially how it plays.

Last edited:

Tams

I am not really convinced either. It doesn't look a gen ahead necessarily. It just looks like we're actually seeing AAA games with vibrant and eye catching art styles.

I made the case earlier that everyone should buy the upcoming Project Eve. If you want neat action games with attractive characters then its time to support South Korean and Chinese games. Western studios will never make those ever again. Buying a copy of Assassins Creed does nothing. But if Project Eve sold 2-3 million on consoles it would dramatically change the course of gaming investment in South Korea. Same goes for Black Myth Wukong.

Its nothing that insane. Its just AAA action games from a non-SJW culture.

Chinese devs can go suck one. Whether they like it or not, they are under the CCP.

I have no moral issue with buying games from Korean devs, but they don't have a good reputation for good coding or originality (and please don't someone mention K-drama - it's cheesy shit (and if you like that, that's fine)).

Top Bottom