• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes aim at Toyota over Mexico plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

This has to be illegal, the stock took a big hit because he shot his mouth off on twitter. I hope someone hits him with a slander or libel (not sure what it would be legally on social media). He can not just impose tax however he feels like it. He has no respect for the position he is in and he is going to do serious damage with these tweets.

There is nothing slanderous about what he is saying though, he didn't accuse them of something falsely, just made a threat.

darscot

Unless there's some insider trading going on behind the scenes there's nothing they can get him on here.

You're probably right but, it's not like he is an ordinary citizen anymore. He tanks the stock of a company based on a fabrication there has to be some legal recourse. I would be fucking livid if I owned Toyota stock, the head of state can not interfere in business. The stock took a hit to the tune of 1.2 billion, it has recovered slightly but that is crazy.

It is racist for an American president to want to keep jobs in his country instead of a foreign one? What kind of logic is that?

They aren't taking established jobs away from US workers. They're simply bringing new jobs into Mexico.

The news from the other day actually resulted in thousands of planned jobs lost in Mexico, and a half-built factory that is now going to be abandoned.

Madness

Isn't this blackmail? Man, each day I'm hating more this prick and he isn't even my president.

China does the very same thing. Share your technology, manufacture or produce in China only or we wont allow you in the market and they get away with it all the time. And yet if Trump and the US wants to do the same, it becomes stupid or illegal or even blackmail lol.

All those saying Toyota won't cave clearly don't realize the US is still either the #1 or #2 car buying nation in the world. No way Toyota will risk greater tariffs or levies.

They aren't taking established jobs away from US workers. They're simply bringing new jobs into Mexico.

How does that still make him racist because of it? India, China, pretty much demand the same. Make in the country or risk losing out or have higher tariffs.

Maybe Mexico made a deal with Toyota so Mexico could, oh I don't know, create jobs for Mexicans?

Trump's such an asshole about Mexican's taking US jobs, yet here's a chance for some job creation in Mexico for Mexicans and Trump bitches that he wants those jobs here in the US instead.

Trump might want to rethink this particular strategy - because job creation in Mexico will help reduce illegal immigration from Mexico AND create cheaper cars for US drivers. Not sure if Trump thinks outside the box like that though, considering he's a racist asshole.

This may be shocking news to some people, but other than drug trade related violence Mexico is a good place to live. Their standard of living is a lot higher than most people realize. It's why most illegal immigration is no longer coming from Mexico, it's coming from other countries in Central America.

smurfx

get some go again
Just let me know when we have to start hanging pictures of Trump in our living rooms. I expect that law to be passed soon after inauguration.
republicans are going to clap for 30 minutes straight at his first state of the union speech and the person who is the first to stop clapping gets sent to guantanamo bay.

kmax

ARE YOU TELLING ME THIS MAN IS A HYPOCRITE?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

giphy.gif

sad!

Well, you'd kind of have to already have a bunch of Toyota shares to do that I guess, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if trump gets impeached for insider trading.

No, you wouldn't. To short a stock is to sell stock you don't actually own. (The underlying mechanism is borrowing the stock, selling it, then buying the stock later to cover the sale and repay the lender.) All Trump has to do is tell anyone that he is about to put a company on blast. They can then short the stock, then cover the sale once the price tumbles for a nice profit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
There is a very real problem of in a vacuum hurting one group of people or country ie Mexico hurts us all to a degree.

Here in the real world though you have a mishmash of some countries looking out for themselves while other countries are to look out for everyone?

There also is the rabbit hole of how do we take Trump's logic? Should this rule apply to new factories or to all consumer goods in general?

Toyota can always just sell those cars to other countries and re-allocate whatever they were going to build for the US IN the US.

This way, those jobs are still in Mexico and Toyota doesn't have to pay any US tariffs.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Toyota can always just sell those cars to other countries and re-allocate whatever they were going to build for the US IN the US.

This way, those jobs are still in Mexico and Toyota doesn't have to pay any US tariffs.
Yeah but I guess Toyota need an additional plant to meet US demand. Not that I know the details.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
From a 2015 article
The factory to be built in Guanajuato, in central Mexico, will create 2,000 jobs, and is to begin production in 2019. It will be able to build 200,000 Corollas a year for North America and possibly for export. Corolla also is made at Blue Spring, Miss., and in Ontario, Canada.

The Mississippi-made Corollas also are exported to 18 countries, Lentz says.

It's unclear if the Mexico cars will be exported. That production will, however, replace Corolla production in Canada

Lentz explains the new manufacturing approach: "The northern tier" that Toyota says consists of Canada, Indiana, Kentucky and central U.S. locations will build what the automaker calls its "higher-value models," such as the RX, the Sequoia and Highlander SUVs, the Sienna van, Avalon and Camry sedans.

The southwest &#8212; Texas and Baja in Mexico &#8212; make Tundra and Tacoma pickups.

And the south &#8212; the new Mexico factory and Mississippi &#8212; will build Corolla and what Toyota presumably will avoid calling "lower value" models.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/04/15/toyota-mexico-corolla-factory/25811997/

Toyota knows what it's doing.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
or maybe if we help Mexico create jobs too then people will have less reason to come to America illegally

SpecX

He should be going after Japan to ease the restrictions they have on importing American cars in their country vs chasing Toyota for building a new additional plant in Mexico.

It is racist for an American president to want to keep jobs in his country instead of a foreign one? What kind of logic is that?

But it's not "keeping" jobs in the US because they're planning to build a new plant in Mexico. It's creating new jobs, and these corporations shouldn't be held to ransom by this uncouth brainless fucker.

Also, Trump is absolutely racist as fuck when it comes to Mexico.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This isn't about a factory moving from the US to a foreign country. There are no jobs to keep.

At this point, his argument is pretty much "if you want to sell to Americans, make your product in America," which is completely insane and sadly hilarious considering he manufactures all of his own garbage products in foreign countries.

-Toyota already makes Corollas in the US
-This isn't replacing manufacturing capacity in the US
-Toyota should tell Trump to kick rocks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
He should be going after Japan to ease the restrictions they have on importing American cars in their country vs chasing Toyota for building a new additional plant in Mexico.

You mean like the TPP that Trump is vehemently opposed to?

Not like Japanese consumers would ever buy American cars anyway, other than maybe Teslas.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
WHEl0Tr.jpg

So how many hours prior to the tweet do you think he warned his rich buddies?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Toyota was never in Detroit. Hell, Honda and Toyota don't even sell well in the state of Michigan, its all American here.

What does this have to do with anything? The US is still the top car-buying country in the world, he does have leverage.
So is Toyota not allowed to do business in Mexico too just because we are not the top market? Also I fear the precedent this could begin that companies are scared from investing in the country because of Trump even if they are not beholden to American interests. It would essentially create a soft embargo. It is one thing to protect American interests and another to knowingly undermine Mexican ones.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This is ridiculous. It isn't even any of Trump's business.

I honestly can't believe what we're seeing unfold these past few months, it's insane. He's like a small child.

Why is Trump only focus on the automobile part of manufacturing? This part of manufacturing is mostly made in the US already.

Is Trump giving up on Walmart/China already?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So is Toyota not allowed to do business in Mexico too just because we are not the top market? Also I fear the precedent this could begin that companies are scared from investing in the country because of Trump even if they are not beholden to American interests. It would essentially create a soft embargo. It is one thing to protect American interests and another to knowingly undermine Mexican ones.

This is not how things work in the automotive industry. The US is the largest/second largest market, everyone wants to sell cars there. US has leverage in telling companies to either pay up or build only in the US if they intend to sell stuff there, see China.

Biske

Why is Trump only focus on the automobile part of manufacturing? This part of manufacturing is mostly made in the US already.

Is Trump giving up on Walmart/China already?

Its about doing easy superficial bullshit thats requires no real work or skill from him.

He doesn't give a fuck about working on actual problems and fixing them.

Just wants to fire off a tweet and go back to jerking off with his tiny gold leaf gloves or whatever the fuck he does all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom