• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes aim at Toyota over Mexico plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Link

President-elect Donald Trump is directing his Twitter ire at Toyota for its decision to ramp up production in Mexico.

"Toyota Motor said will build a new plant in Baja, Mexico, to build Corolla cars for U.S. NO WAY! Build plant in U.S. or pay big border tax," Trump tweeted Thursday afternoon.

The Japanese company announced in 2015 that it would be building a new plant in Mexico for its Corolla sedan, although the automaker said at the time the facility would be located in the state of Guanajuato, not Baja.

It announced in September that it would increase production of pickup trucks at its plant in Mexico's Baja California state.

Trump's tweet comes just one hour after a Wall Street Journal story quoted Toyota's president, Akio Toyoda, as saying he hopes to have a good relationship with Trump.

The company previously said the new Corolla plant would cost $1 billion, produce 200,000 vehicles each year and provide jobs for 2,000 workers when it starts production in 2019.

The automaker announced a number of moves to bolster its footing in the U.S. along with the 2015 announcement, including investments in plants in Kentucky, Alabama, Indiana and West Virginia.

Trump has regularly taken to social media to chide companies that choose to invest in other countries while selling goods within America. He regularly floats a 35 percent import tax for companies that move manufacturing out of the country and want to sell in American markets.

After he blasted Ford Motor Co. on Twitter this week, the company decided against building a plant in Mexico and instead said it would invest more in a Michigan plant.

Trump also targeted General Motors this week for "sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border." GM told CNN that it makes the U.S. model of the Cruz in an Ohio plant while the hatchback, a car sold largely internationally, is made in Mexico.

Trump's public criticism of specific companies have previously rattled stock prices; Toyota's shares were down about 0.4 percent immediately after his post.

kmax

He sure must get a high out of strong arming companies in public like this. Not to mention, Toyota's a Japanese company.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
People are going to love when the price goes up on their entry level cars because of Trump.

I guess these US Toyota plants aren't good enough?

United States

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Mississippi, Inc., (TMMMS) is located in Blue Springs. Vehicle manufacture and assembly - Corolla.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Inc., (TMMK) is located in Georgetown. Engine manufacture - 2GR-FE and 2AR-FE. Vehicle manufacture and assembly - Camry, Hybrid Camry, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, Venza, and Lexus ES.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas, Inc (TMMTX) is located in San Antonio. Vehicle manufacture and assembly - Tundra & Tacoma.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana, Inc. (TMMI) is located in Princeton, Indiana. Vehicle manufacture and assembly - Sequoia, Sienna, Highlander & Highlander Hybrid.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama, Inc. (TMMAL), is located in Huntsville. Engine manufacture 1GR-FE, 1UR-FE and 3UR-FE. Engines mostly for TMMTX and some TMMI.

Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia, Inc. (TMMWV), is located in Buffalo. Engine manufacture 2GR-FE, 2ZR-FE and 1AR-FE.

What if Toyota threatens to close ALL those plants and take all those US jobs outside the country instead? Trump better watch his step.

BTW - those look like mostly RED STATES. The GoP might be a little ticked off about Trump's threats.

People are going to love when the price goes up on their entry level cars because of Trump.

His supporters will have no where to bitch but to themselves in the mirror.

this is what they wanted.

Same goes for all the fucktards that don't realize their healthcare provided by the ACA is going to get fucked.

Damaniel

Banned
Call his bluff. A Republican Congress won't *ever* pass any type of protectionist legislation, and certainly not new tariffs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wonder who will be the first to call his bluff.

They don't need to. Most people won't know that they also already announced more factories in the US so when they respond that they're already planning on expanding in the US Trump will take credit for it. It's literally a classic con.

2000 jobs. 2000.

Its all for show.

Exactly. Just watch for their response and for Trump to take credit for something they had planned years in advance.

Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers are the only auto manufacturing output of any real note and surplus in the US anymore.

Plus, you know, they aren't American companies so maybe don't fuck with companies stock prices and speculate on shit when you're PRESIDENT and they don't operate in America on a corporate level.

mreddie

Oh god, Toyota is an International company, they already have plants in the US, UK and Japan.

Oh right, MEXICO. Because heaven forbid your racist ass wants to keep Mexico suffering.

Biske

Can someone point me to the furious outcry from republicans and conservatives complaining about the free market and how we shouldn't pick winners and losers?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
That's exactly what China does though,with great success.

Want to sell a car there either pay hefty import tax or build a plant there (and prop up a Chinese company while your at it).

Edit. That's a shitty think to do I might ad.

zethren

Banned
I'm sure only a portion of those cars built would be sent to the US anyway. There will probably be more kept domestic in Mexico.

But admittedly I'm not very familiar with the auto industry.

OldMan

Banned
Kinda a shot to the face building the cars in the sale destinations neighboring country. Is there any reason for Toyota NOT to build in the U.S.?

ZOONAMI

Toyota is a Japanese car company with the vast majority of their production coming out of Japan and other countries, not the US.

They have 6 plants in the US and many more elsewhere, with 35 or so in Japan.

Does everyone want all the imports to be 35% more expensive than fords and chevys in similar segments?

That's all that this is going to accomplish. It will likely hurt the auto industry as a whole which will also hurt the big 3 (decrease parts production globally, thus driving up the price of parts, further increasing prices and decreasing sales for the big 3 included).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kinda a shot to the face building the cars in the sale destinations neighboring country. Is there any reason for Toyota NOT to build in the U.S.?

Maybe the car is more popular in Mexico? It's not like they aren't already building a ton of cars in the US.

Also, what's with the assumption that Mexicans don't buy cars?

Parch

I guess these US Toyota plants aren't good enough?

What if Toyota threatens to close ALL those plants and take all those US jobs outside the country instead? Trump better watch his step.
Trump supporters will start vandalizing Toyota dealerships to run them out of business.
Don't park your Toyota on the street.

darscot

This has to be illegal, the stock took a big hit because he shot his mouth off on twitter. I hope someone hits him with a slander or libel (not sure what it would be legally on social media). He can not just impose tax however he feels like it. He has no respect for the position he is in and he is going to do serious damage with these tweets.

Maybe Mexico made a deal with Toyota so Mexico could, oh I don't know, create jobs for Mexicans?

Trump's such an asshole about Mexican's taking US jobs, yet here's a chance for some job creation in Mexico for Mexicans and Trump bitches that he wants those jobs here in the US instead.

Trump might want to rethink this particular strategy - because job creation in Mexico will help reduce illegal immigration from Mexico AND create cheaper cars for US drivers. Not sure if Trump thinks outside the box like that though, considering he's a racist asshole.

Madness

Oh god, Toyota is an International company, they already have plants in the US, UK and Japan.

Oh right, MEXICO. Because heaven forbid your racist ass wants to keep Mexico suffering.

It is racist for an American president to want to keep jobs in his country instead of a foreign one? What kind of logic is that?

Biske

Maybe Mexico made a deal with Toyota so Mexico could, oh I don't know, create jobs for Mexicans?

Trump's such an asshole about Mexican's taking US jobs, yet here's a chance for some job creation in Mexico for Mexicans and Trump bitches that he wants those jobs here in the US.

Also note, that Trump, when he sells fucking hats, or clothes or jewelry or whatever the fuck, they don't make it in the US.

trump_china_arrow.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This has to be illegal, the stock took a big hit because he shot his mouth off on twitter. I hope someone hits him with a slander or libel (not sure what it would be legally on social media). He can not just impose tax however he feels like it. He has no respect for the position he is in and he is going to do serious damage with these tweets.

Unless there's some insider trading going on behind the scenes there's nothing they can get him on here.

flkraven

It's a strange paradox, not wanting to give any jobs to Mexicans yet somehow being angry that they are trying to move to America for work.

zethren

Banned
It is racist for an American president to want to keep jobs in his country instead of a foreign one? What kind of logic is that?

The US isn't losing an existing Toyota plant to Mexico with this situation. Toyota wants to build a new one in Mexico, not take one from us.

I'm not saying it's racist, but this is a weird situation of trying to force a company to build in US rather than another country as planned.

BriGuy

I wonder if the rah rah rahing from his base will subside the next time they're shopping for $45,000 Corrolas and Ford Focuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom