• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trump Slump,' a Devastating Drop in Tourism to the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunlop

Canadian here. My gal and I have been going to the U.S. every year, at least once a year, for some kind of concert or festival, since around 2004 (Chicago, NY, Denver, Washington, Florida, Minnesota, Cleveland, Vegas, The Gorge). This year we've decided we'd feel better about keeping our money out of the U.S...and a lot of Canadians I've talked to feel the same way. We've got a big country here to explore and most of us haven't seen it from coast to coast, so I might take my first trip out to the Maritimes this year, or we'll see what this Pemberton lineup looks like. I've heard more and more people looking at other options to to not support American companies, by going to less American chain restaurants and stores and trying to buy more domestically, which I haven't really gone that far yet, but we'll see.
Same, usually it is a group of us (10 families) to annually go camping/shopping in the US over the summer. My non Caucasian friends always made light-hearted jokes about their experiences crossing the border.. It's not light-hearted any more, all of us cancelled and we are hitting up the Maritimes instead.
I feel bad for the small towns, they were anyways nice with us

This is anecdotal, but all the muslim people I know aren't going to travel to USA for a while because of Trump even when we had previous plans.

LosDaddie

Banned
I notice the numbers reported there are not presented in a context that compares them with the same period of the previous year, but simply reports a decline. If you look at this chart http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/tourist-arrivals you can see a steep decline in the same period last year, and if you click the 5Y button you see this exact pattern every year for the last 5 years as well. It appears they are using using normally expected declines and attaching a Trump Slump narrative to them. It would be like blaming Trump for a steep decline in retail because January is way down from December, while not making note of the fact that December is traditionally much higher because of the Holidays.

Makes sense. Thanks for posting it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My best friend moved to the US last summer.
Been wanting to visit him and see his new baby boy, but I'll wait a little longer and see if I can't make the trip cheaper if the dollar comes crashing down.

In just a few months the US dollar has become stronger compared to my currency which makes it expensive to go to US now.

Its also shown in electronics from USA and stuff that has become much more expensive just in 2 months.

So its good for USA economics with a strong currency but bad for me.
I am still of the feeling the strong USD has more of an impact here, than people saying omg Trump no wai. The only concrete stat referenced in the OP is the volume from the 'suspect' countries...no shit.

Also, I was trying to find some good numbers as to what is the overall impact from tourism by foreign travelers (I've only seen overall numbers including domestic tourists)...any links?

Shoeless

Why?

Edit: Things haven't changed that much... yet.

Things have already changed a lot. In Canada I've been seeing regular smaller news stories about people being stopped on the border and being required to give up passwords for their phone or computer so that CBP can check their social media accounts. And this isn't just brown/black/yellow people being asked for this, this is white people as well.

I don't want to go to any country where one of the first things they do if you look suspicious is want to go through your computing devices and see what you've posted on social media. If this were happening to Americans going to a Muslim country, most of them would throw a fit about that and scream how something has to be done about the invasion of personal freedoms.

Costa Kid

Aside from all the other reasons people have mentioned so far, I'd feel way more uncomfortable paying tax in the US. So it'll be at least four years till I visit the US.

Iksenpets

Banned
Trump supporters prefer not having to look at foreigners to having jobs supported by foreigners, so this is a win for them!

And of course, the damage from this will fall mostly on cities. More and more it's clear that Trump has no plans to help the parts of the country that are suffering, but a lot of plans to drag the rest of the country down to their level, and what's sad is a lot of his supporters genuinely will take that as a win.

Shoeless

Trump supporters prefer not having to look at foreigners to having jobs supported by foreigners, so this is a win for them!

And of course, the damage from this will fall mostly on cities. More and more it's clear that Trump has no plans to help the parts of the country that are suffering, but a lot of plans to drag the rest of the country down to their level, and what's sad is a lot of his supporters genuinely will take that as a win.

I think you're basically right about your assessment. Tourism was just more libtard inclusive, snowflake thinking. No "real American" makes an honest dollar by bending over to people who should be answering to the innate greatness and superiority of Americans.

Besides, given enough time, those foreigners won't be foreign anyway, once their countries have been conquered by the righteous, white, God fearin' folk of America who are just fulfilling their destiny,

Fennec

I'm French of Algerian descent and I canceled my trip to NYC. I'd rather pay some cancelation penalties than being harassed (or worse) by the CBP/TSA because of my name or my ethnicity.

I'm so sad right now...

How does Trump think America became America?

Why does Trump think that less people = more business opportunities?

Why does he think that he's making America great again?

Logic left the window from the Republican side for ages now. It was never about real tangible reasons, it basically comes down to hate, fear and ignorance. In Trump's case it's not all of them with side of hypocrisy and lies. I think at this point corporation should sue Donald Trump for damages.

MutFox

Banned
I'm not travelling to the US for at least 4 years.
I can't support the economy of the current country.

I've told this to friends, family, coworkers ever since the travel ban.

They've agreed with me.
There's a lot of other places to visit anyways.

Skyzard

Banned

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unless you're on business or visiting family, who the fuck would want to visit America now?

Or anytime over the next eight years?

There are still so many amazing places to visit (and the list is almost identical to the list of non-Trump-voting states, outside of a few national parks that'll probably be sold off pretty soon anyway). But yeah even if you visit a legit state with decent people, I could still see not wanting to be harassed by border control.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unfortunately this hits mostly the coasts I believe? Not really a threat to Trump's base so it's unlikely that they'll feel, acknowledge or care about the damage to the tourism industry.

But hey at least the coal jobs are coming back!

I won't visit the USA whilst that clown is president. Although there are many places in America I'd like to see, I will take my tourist spending elsewhere.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My mother (a white woman from Canada, politically centrist) said there is no way in hell she's setting foot in the US right now. She took a flight overseas recently, and paid more in order to avoid a stopover in the US.

Trump is poison.

sunofsam

I imagine tourism will continue to decline when you consider that many plan for trips well in advance and it is not so easy to change plans.

Yup, already booked for FLA in April.

Dollar sucks against my CAD but my parents are footing the bill to take my kids to Disney. Just had to pay for flights.

Won't be going back anytime soon. Note: I live 2 hrs from Border and would go over a couple times a year to shop.

Pure anecdotal evidence: My wife and I canceled plans for a six-week vacation to the Southwest next autumn. We canceled because of all the hassle at the border and the general political climate. We're heading to New Zealand instead.
And we are hearing it from a lot of people in our circle of friends and acquaintances: USA?? Now? Not as long as this protofascist is in charge.

MutFox

Banned
My mother (a white woman from Canada, politically centrist) said there is no way in hell she's setting foot in the US right now. She took a flight overseas recently, and paid more in order to avoid a stopover in the US.

Trump is poison.

Yep, I'm not going through US customs either.
Not worth the hassle.

wildfire

Banned
The hilarious part about this is that Trump is primarily involved in real estate and tourism. He's literally burning his own customer base.

But Trump is smart businessman who turned around 6 bankruptcies. He'll know what to do with this

*facepalm*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm only going to the US in April because I have the chance to meet my family in NYC, otherwise I would not go.m as well.

The demonization of foreigners is shameful for a country built on foreigners' back.

If it makes you feel any better, NYC is pretty much with you on this.

Madness

The fact you have hundreds of refugees fleeing Minnesota and East Coast US into Manitoba and Quebec into Canada in the freezing weather and snow should tell you how many people want to stay in Trump's America. Come visit Kansas where some white guy will blow you away at a bar for looking Middle Eastern...

Lo-Volt

I live in New York and we do benefit from tourism, even when tourists can "break our stride" or something. (We do appreciate you, but just walk briskly.) If more tourists decline to travel, it will hurt a lot of workers but the city will survive. We aren't as monocultural as we used to be, thanks to everything from the persistence of big company headquarters to finance to Silicon Alley. I fear for areas that really do live or die on seasonal travel though. Red state or blue state, that could be business they really can't live without.

Curufinwe

Pure anecdotal evidence: My wife and I canceled plans for a six-week vacation to the Southwest next autumn. We canceled because of all the hassle at the border and the general political climate. We're heading to New Zealand instead.
And we are hearing it from a lot of people in our circle of friends and acquaintances: USA?? Now? Not as long as this protofascist is in charge.

Be careful driving in NZ if you're from a right-side country. Don't end up like this tourist.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/896...-to-government-as-bad-driving-video-takes-off

EBreda

I usually go to the US 3 times a year. There's a bunch of cities and regions I genuinely love.

Right now, though, I have to no desire to go back. It's a shame what this POS president is doing to your country and it's gonna take a long while to recover from it (if ever, honestly).

Everything Obama fought for is going down the drain pretty fast. It's hard to believe the biggest democracy of the world is now subject of ridicule, specially after the press revoking stuff that just emerged.

In truth, it started when the Senate refused to acknowledge Obama had the right to point a Supreme Court member. That was the beginning of the end imo.

It's a shame and a pitty.

Anticol

Banned
I am planning to go back to my country to visit some relatives and stop in the US to buy gifts and pretty much anything I see to take back home. My idea was to spend a week there, this was last year but after Trump I am going the other way around and finally visit Chile and Argentina, I will not travel to or through the US for now on and will recommend the same to all my relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom