• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top selling PS2 games of 2005

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/684/684395p1.html

Code:
1.  	Madden NFL 06  	 Electronic Arts  	 2.95m
2. 	Gran Turismo 4 	SCEA 	1.5m
3. 	NCAA Football 06 	Electronic Arts 	1.13m
4. 	Star Wars Battlefront II 	LucasArts 	1.10m
5. 	MVP Baseball 2005 	Electronic Arts 	970k
6. 	Star Wars Episode III 	LucasArts 	931k
7. 	NBA Live 06 	Electronic Arts 	826k
8. 	LEGO Star Wars 	Eidos 	808k
9. 	SmackDown vs. RAW '06 	THQ 	758k
10. 	God of War 	SCEA 	740k
11. 	Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition 	Rockstar Games 	733k
12. 	Star Wars Battlefront 	LucasArts 	680k
13. 	Need for Speed Most Wanted 	Electronic Arts 	677k
14. 	SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs 	SCEA 	665k
15. 	Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 	Rockstar Games 	656k
16. 	Tony Hawk's American Wasteland 	Activision 	629k
17. 	Call of Duty 2: Big Red One 	Activision 	589k
18. 	Major League Baseball 2K5 	2K Games 	547k
19. 	Burnout 3: Takedown 	Electronic Arts 	520k
20. 	50 Cent: Bulletproof 	Vivendi 	490k
21. 	Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 	Atari 	488k
22. 	Sonic Mega Collection Plus 	SEGA 	468k
23. 	Fight Night Round 2 	Electronic Arts 	443k
24. 	Need for Speed Underground 2 	Electronic Arts 	440k
25. 	Mercenaries 	Electronic Arts 	440k
26. 	Blitz: The League 	Midway 	420k
27. 	Madden NFL 2005 	Electronic Arts 	404k
28. 	Ratchet:Deadlocked 	SCEA 	395k
29. 	NBA Live 2005 	Electronic Arts 	395k
30. 	NFL Street 2 	Electronic Arts 	390k
31. 	NBA Street V3 	Electronic Arts 	384k
32. 	Jak 3 	SCEA 	383k
33. 	Tekken 5 	Namco 	382k
34. 	Soulcalibur III 	Namco 	382k
35. 	Peter Jackson's King Kong 	Ubisoft 	376k
36. 	Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal 	SCEA 	371k
37. 	Madagascar 	Activision 	371k
38. 	WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 	THQ 	363k
39. 	Devil May Cry 3 	Capcom 	362k
40. 	Medal of Honor: European Assault 	Electronic Arts 	360k
41. 	Call of Duty: Finest Hour 	Activision 	360k
42. 	Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 	Electronic Arts 	356k
43. 	Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves 	SCEA 	350k
44. 	MX vs. ATV Unleashed 	THQ 	350k
45. 	World Championship Poker 	Crave Entertainment 	343k
46. 	Destroy All Humans 	THQ 	342k
47. 	Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 	Electronic Arts 	341k
48. 	SOCOM II: U.S. NAVY SEALs 	SCEA 	333k
49. 	Need for Speed Underground 	Electronic Arts 	323k
50. 	DDR Extreme 2 	Konami 	311k

jett

D-Member
Fumito Ueda am cry. That's what, two bombs in a row? I wonder for how long will Sony let him do whatever he wants. :p

Tabris

TheTurtleTitan said:
San Andreas' sales would've been even higher (it was selling even faster than Vice City), but sales started to hit rock-bottom after the hot coffee incident.

Huh?

Mrbob

jett said:
Fumito Ueda am cry. That's what, two bombs in a row? I wonder for how long will Sony let him do whatever he wants. :p

SoTC is far from bomba.

From reports, it sold nearly 100K in December for a grand total of about 290K at the moment. I would say those are good sales.

Soul Calibur 3 is also higher than I expected.

Oh and GOGOGO John Madden GO.

Tabris

SolidSnakex said:
The Tony Hawk games have really fallen off haven't they? I remember it was one of the biggest brands in the indsutry.

It's cause they released like 5 games this generation already on just PS2.

SolidSnakex said:
The Tony Hawk games have really fallen off haven't they? I remember it was one of the biggest brands in the indsutry.

And then it came out a new one every year.

When Tony Hawk 1/2 came out I played that nearly every damn day with my friend. One of the best games and gaming sessions ever last generation for us. Loved part 1 and 2's soundtrack also.

Tabris said:
It's cause they released like 5 games this generation already on just PS2.

They completely misjudged the appeal of it. They should've treated it more like Rockstar has done with GTA, you don't need a sequel every year. No one has come close to touching GTA just as no one has come close to touching TH in terms of gameplay. But they will get tired of it if you just keep doing the same shit year after year. They seem to think it had the same selling power of yearly sports games which turned out to not be the case.

it's funny. PS2 has the most games that i love compared to any other console. and yet when i read the top selling games i can see that the games i love have nothing to do with what sells well.

bumpkin said:
God of War in 10th place hurts my soul.

i thought it did suprisingly well, especially when you consider its one of the few new IPs on that list, and the only one in the top 10. It could get a nice push once it goes Greatest Hits that could get it near 900K or so. Not a bad start for a new franchise.

kenta

Has no PEINS
What a shame that GT4 is so high. I was really disappointed with it and I hope they don't take this as an indication that we want more of the same AGAIN.

Ninja Scooter said:
i thought it did suprisingly well, especially when you consider its one of the few new IPs on that list, and the only one in the top 10. It could get a nice push once it goes Greatest Hits that could get it near 900K or so. Not a bad start for a new franchise.
A friggin price drop wouldn't hurt it either. It came out 11 months ago and is still $50.

Futureman

metropolis said:
it's funny. PS2 has the most games that i love compared to any other console. and yet when i read the top selling games i can see that the games i love have nothing to do with what sells well.

Yea, well it's those high selling games that make smaller, cool niche games possible. So embrace them all!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
While I do realize that the PS2 overall has more games that I would be interested in, there's only 13 games on that list that I care for.

"Yea, well it's those high selling games that make smaller, cool niche games possible. So embrace them all!"

if by embrace them you mean accept the fact that they exist but not buy them.. then i'm with you 100%

do you think that's true though? does madden selling 3 million copies pave the way for rez or gradius V or katamari damacy ?
i guess it probably does since developers will always heavily support the most popular system..

well i guess... go madden then???

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
While I do realize that the PS2 overall has more games that I would be interested in, there's only 13 games on that list that I care for.

Necessary to tell us this, why?

Anyanka

So Soulcalibur III which came out in October sold as much as Tekken 5 which came out in Febuary. Does that mean SC3 did really well, T5 did really poor or a little of both?

Sports games and liscensed games-the same as always.

I really wish the general populace would be willing to branch out more and try different games like Guitar Hero and Katamari. That way publishers wouldn't be so damn risk adverse with creative software.

Anyanka said:
So Soulcalibur III which came out in October sold as much as Tekken 5 which came out in Febuary. Does that mean SC3 did really well, T5 did really poor or a little of both?

I think they both likely underperformed compared to Namco's expectations. Didn't T4 sell one million plus in the US? And we've all heard the endless theories on SC3 and it's problems.

Despite Tekken 5 being >>>> than Tekken 4, I think in general people probably think it's getting a little stale. Same with Soul Calibur.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Solid said:
Will God of War will break a million? Plz Jesus, make it so.
Aren't these just NPD sales? If so, if you count in the worldwide sales, I'm sure it sold more than a million easily.

GitarooMan said:
I think they both likely underperformed compared to Namco's expectations. Didn't T4 sell one million plus in the US? And we've all heard the endless theories on SC3 and it's problems.

Despite Tekken 5 being >>>> than Tekken 4, I think in general people probably think it's getting a little stale. Same with Soul Calibur.

i agree with you, of course, but i'm surprised tekken only moved that many units.

but still, considering it barely had any substatntial marketing, it's not surprising.

i think when tekken 5 goes to greatest hits, and you add the worldwide numbers thereafter, it will likely shine as a successful title for namco.

jett said:

Ico made over 500k sales total worldwide. SotC will be on pace to do even a little better I imagine. I doubt Ueda's crying over anything. He gets to make the games he wants, gains his company critical acclaim and turns in a more than decent profit in the meanwhile. Not everything has to be a million seller for it to have "cache".

Mrbob

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Ico made over 500k sales total worldwide. SotC will be on pace to do even a little better I imagine. I doubt Ueda's crying over anything. He gets to make the games he wants, gains his company critical acclaim and turns in a more than decent profit in the meanwhile. Not everything has to be a million seller for it to have "cache".

SoTC has already reached 500K between USA and Japan alone, with a European release soon.

SoTC sales will dwarf ICO sales.

Top Bottom