• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tool is basically the personification of the word "boomer"

Woo-Fu

Banned
Thank you. I wish people would stop using "Boomer" for generations that are not actually that.
Yes, it makes it particularly disrespectful when they use it on somebody who isn't even a boomer. Plus it makes the person using it look like even more of an idiot.

55+ years of life experience is a valuable tool. Almost every youthful idiot who lives long enough comes to realize that too.

As an early Gen X I listen to New Wave mostly but did get into metal in my late 20's, early 30's and that includes being a pretty big fan of Tool for awhile. The latest album didn't do anything for me, though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Boomer haha we 4channel?
TOPKEK

0DQP42r.png

Fushitsusha

Banned
Always always a weird thing to brag.
"Ive never seen Game of Thrones lul"
Youre close minded, cool? Id hate to have that attitude for anything.
Someone's triggered and assuming things. If TOOL was for me they would already be in the playlist.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Someone's triggered and assuming things. If TOOL was for me they would already be in the playlist.

Why would they be in your playlist if you've never listened to one track and intend not to?

Fushitsusha

Banned
Why would they be in your playlist if you've never listened to one track and intend not to?
I know someone would ask this to as some sort of "gotcha!". You can dislike things by the little you already know about them/it, and you can also know what you like and how different it is to your tastes.

Difficult concept to grasp..

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I know someone would ask this to as some sort of "gotcha!". You can dislike things by the little you already know about them/it, and you can also know what you like and how different it is to your tastes.

You did also ask 9 minutes later what their music was like, so how can you "know that it's different to your tastes"..? I'm not trying to gotcha you, I'm just confused, you're telling two stories.

Fushitsusha

Banned
You did also ask 9 minutes later what their music was like, so how can you "know that it's different to your tastes"..? I'm not trying to gotcha you, I'm just confused, you're telling two stories.
To hear from more perspectives.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Tool is a band of Gen Xers who was popular with Xers and early Millenials.

The problem with music is zoomers and their shitty pop mumble rap and electronic garbage and other over produced effluence you hear on every top 40 station. Especially those fuckers with facial tattoos and plaid color hair like what brap brap listens to.

brap

Banned

The problem with music is zoomers and their shitty pop mumble rap and electronic garbage and other over produced effluence you hear on every top 40 station. Especially those fuckers with facial tattoos and plaid color hair like what brap brap listens to.
Your buttrock is still garbage. Buttrock has always been a shitty worthless genre for people with 0 taste.

How much effort is it to listen to a song?

Now, you can make up your own mind.

DiscoJer

I think they were really more aimed at Millennials than Generation X. Yeah, they emerged during the grunge era, but weren't really part of it. To me they seemed more akin to the nu-metal stuff of the later 90s, with their whiny, angsty crap

But what really separates them is their pretentiousness.

Last edited:

desertdroog

How much effort is it to listen to a song?

Now, you can make up your own mind.

I actually do like this song. It's the only Tool song I will let finish when it is on the radio. It is a progressive rock classic and it pains me to say that, because when I think Prog Rock I think Yes and Iron Maiden's first album.

brap

Banned
I actually do like this song. It's the only Tool song I will let finish when it is on the radio. It is a progressive rock classic and it pains me to say that, because when I think Prog Rock I think Yes and Iron Maiden's first album.
lol what? their first album is like their least proggy.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck
First album is Metal

desertdroog

I disagree. The guitar scales and rhythm is all prog. It's less airy and fruity in comparison to other prog bands, but its prog with maybe one or two songs that flirts with some standard punk chording but goes back into the flippity floo wails.

485108.jpg

This is because millennials mostly have lived life in a padded room and have no idea how the real world works. Tool's music doesn't speak to snowflakes.

Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life

To hear from more perspectives.

I love lyrics and Tool's lyrics (along with amazing music) really speak to me, and I feel the human experience overall, very well. check out this video about the song Lateralus, listen to the song and read the lyrics. If this doesn't speak to you then you may not be human. 🤷‍♂️

Black then white are all I see
In my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
Reaching out to me,
Lets me see.

As below, so above and beyond,
I imagine drawn beyond the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines.

Black then white are all I see
In my infancy.
Red and yellow then came to be,
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see

There is so much more
And beckons me
To look through to these
Infinite possibilities.

As below, so above and beyond,
I imagine drawn outside the lines of reason.
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Withering my intuition, leaving opportunities behind.

Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line.
Reaching out to embrace the random.
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.

I embrace my desire to
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected
Enough to step aside and weep like a widow
To feel inspired, to fathom the power,
To witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
To swing on the spiral, to swing on the spiral,

To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground
I lose myself between the sounds
And open wide to suck it in.
I feel it move across my skin.

I'm reaching up and reaching out.
I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.
Whatever will bewilder me.

And following our will and wind
We may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end
And may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going.

Carna

Banned
Get on my level op, I listen to Susumu Hirasawa and his defunt band "p-model" for my weird music taste

Haven't listened to Tool in forever, but Opiate and Aenima are two of the best rock albums I have ever listened to. Call me old, boomer, whatever but music was at its best in the 60's 70's and 90's.

Ixion

And let's not dick around, if you want metal and weed, give Orange Goblin, Sleep, Fu Manchu, Electric Wizard or The Sword a listen. You will forget all about Tool, I am sure.

Nah, you just listed a bunch of Stoner Metal bands. I like those bands and the genre, but Tool differentiates themselves from straight up Stoner Metal by leaning more towards Alternative Rock and Progressive Rock. Not to mention the vocals, guitar, and bass all have unique, signature sounds that aren't present in any other bands except the few copycats. Maynard's vocals especially, are very unique/dynamic and provide a big differentiator with other bands (although he wasn't as good on the new album). And that's without mentioning one of the best drummers in the world in Danny Carey who drives the band's rhythmic approach, whereas many other metal bands are built around the guiter leads/riffs.

And with all that said, there's the straight-up quality of the music. Aenima and Lateralus are two of the greatest metal albums ever made. Stoner Metal is cool, and so is Tool.

brap

Banned
let me guess, you idiots like rap talking right?
There goes the old boomer big brain 'if you dont like my shitty music you MUST like (c)rap'

This is because millennials mostly have lived life in a padded room and have no idea how the real world works. Tool's music doesn't speak to snowflakes.

Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Feeds on
Life
Tool's music is 100% for snowflakes.

desertdroog

Nah, you just listed a bunch of Stoner Metal bands. I like those bands and the genre, but Tool differentiates themselves from straight up Stoner Metal by leaning more towards Alternative Rock and Progressive Rock. Not to mention the vocals, guitar, and bass all have unique, signature sounds that aren't present in any other bands except the few copycats. Maynard's vocals especially, are very unique/dynamic and provide a big differentiator with other bands (although he wasn't as good on the new album). And that's without mentioning one of the best drummers in the world in Danny Carey who drives the band's rhythmic approach, whereas many other metal bands are built around the guiter leads/riffs.

And with all that said, there's the straight-up quality of the music. Aenima and Lateralus are two of the greatest metal albums ever made. Stoner Metal is cool, and so is Tool.
I listed stoner metal because I prefaced those recommendations with weed and metal.

I knew what I was doing.

Ixion

I listed stoner metal because I prefaced those recommendations with weed and metal.

I knew what I was doing.

People into weed and metal will "forget all about Tool" once they listen to some Stoner Metal bands? Not only is Tool great for that, but going from Tool to nearly any Stoner Metal band would be a downgrade in uniqueness and complexity, so it wouldn't make sense to forget about them. Tool's vocals, bass, and drums are all more dynamic and complex than the top Stoner Metal bands such as Electric Wizard, Kyuss, and Sleep (and I love those bands). And then there's Adam Jones' unique guitar sound.

And on a side note: If you're into weed and metal, there's no better live show to see these days than current Tool in terms of the audio-visual experience. Another reason to not forget about them...

Tool-Live-Banner.jpg

Tool-Welcome-to-Rockville-Overload-TV.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

desertdroog

People into weed and metal will "forget all about Tool" once they listen to some Stoner Metal bands? Not only is Tool great for that, but going from Tool to nearly any Stoner Metal band would be a downgrade in uniqueness and complexity, so it wouldn't make sense to forget about them. Tool's vocals, bass, and drums are all more dynamic and complex than the top Stoner Metal bands such as Electric Wizard, Kyuss, and Sleep (and I love those bands). And then there's Adam Jones' unique guitar sound.

And on a side note: If you're into weed and metal, there's no better live show to see these days than current Tool in terms of the audio-visual experience. Another reason to not forget about them...

Tool-Live-Banner.jpg

Tool-Welcome-to-Rockville-Overload-TV.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
The point is, listening to Tool while on weed, makes it de facto stoner metal, so I bridged the gap by pointing it out.

Sourced from discussing this with my friend who is a stoner and loves Tool, Isis, Mastadon and the Melvins. I only know of Maynard Keenan's wine adventures due to him.

The point is, listening to Tool while on weed, makes it de facto stoner metal, so I bridged the gap by pointing it out.

Sourced from discussing this with my friend who is a stoner and loves Tool, Isis, Mastadon and the Melvins. I only know of Maynard Keenan's wine adventures due to him.

So when I get high and listen to Celine Dion does that make her "Stoner Adult Contemporary Pop"? :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom