• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 coming to Switch

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

unknown.png

Last edited:

amigastar

Isn't this team who made the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 remake the same who are making the Diablo 2 Resurrected Remake?

Last edited:
What a cute way to "announce" a port going to a new console, given the situation where a developer has been screwed over and had their studio closed by their publisher.

Kuranghi

I feel like Crash was probably meant to be retarded back in the day, so he'd probably not sound like how they portray him nowadays. He was a marsupial that got anthropomorphized, I don't think that would be an intelligent creature.

CamHostage

As it should be. Great platform for this type of game.

Nice! will double dip. Hopefully it’s still 60fps.

I'd really like to see that, but as somebody already said, maybe not? 60 is great for these skating games, and there are things they could simplify and still have have a nice-looking game on Switch.

Compared to similar'ish games...

* Crash NSane Trilogy (by the THPS1+2 team) = 30 everywhere, including Switch.
* Crash Bandicoot 4 (by a different team but they're close to the THPS1+2 team) = 30 on Switch, which is the same as PS4/X1S; it's 60ish on the Pro/X and 5/XS
* Diablo II Resurrected (upcoming from THPS team) = 30 probably on Switch, 60+ on big boxes... technically, 25fps ala the original Diablo 2, but that's just the logic computes
* THPS1+2 (being ported to Switch by we do not know who, if it is even happening = ?? on Switch, but is a hammered-down 60 everywhere, including 4/X1S.

So, if the THPS engine is built for rock-solid 60, maybe Switch might be in that camp too since it has otherwise kept pace with the 4/X1S releases? As long as it keeps the drop-resistant quality of the other versions though, I imagine the Switch will play okay at 30 if it has to.

Activision's approach seems to be to focus on PS and Xbox first, then port to Switch when the game is complete.

Not my favorite approach, I like knowing better that Switch is still in the mix even if it's coming down the line.

That said, I guess it makes sense to A) give Nintendo fans the excitement of an announcement rather than the agony of a long wait (Doom Eternal for Switch was mostly noted for its technical achievement and otherwise unnoticed, although also they didn't release a cartridge,) and B) it gives the team making the port some extra breathing room so they don't have to know in the console hype-cycle whether the conversion is going to work or not and how long it'll take to build.

Isn't this team who made the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2 remake the same who are making the Diablo 2 Resurrected Remake?

Yes, that's the sadly "defunct" Vicarious Visions. (The staff still exist, but they've all been transferred over to Blizzard and thus won't be making any more of these remasters or other titles you may have liked from the studio.)(But, Diablo II Resurrected does look solid, at least.)

Last edited:

Cravis

Yes, that's the sadly "defunct" Vicarious Visions. (The staff still exist, but they've all been transferred over to Blizzard and thus won't be making any more of these remasters or other titles you may have liked from the studio.)(But, Diablo II Resurrected does look solid, at least.)
It's a damn shame sadly.

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop for Toys For Bob. They do a stellar Spyro remaster, then an admirable shot at Crash 4. They've basically got a target on their back at this point.

Banned
I feel like Crash was probably meant to be retarded back in the day, so he'd probably not sound like how they portray him nowadays. He was a marsupial that got anthropomorphized, I don't think that would be an intelligent creature.

after reading the first part of the first sentence only, I agreed with you... restarted Gamedesign (I mean it was naughty dog after all)

then I read the rest and, to that I have no opinion 🤷‍♂️

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Kind of. Work was already well underway on D2, Vicarious Visions seemed to have been rolled in to make sure it actually completed to a good standard. If you watch the D2 deep dive video it's actually looking really good. A shiny graphical layer on top of the same core game.

This is absolutely the road Activision are driving down now; remasters and remakes of fan favourites. WoW Classic was a success, so now they're doing the first expansion and will most likely do more. Crash and THPS remakes were a hit, so that team is being brought over to help on a D2 remake. Hearthstone is getting a classic mode. They're even porting the old arcade games. They're realised how much money is to be made re-releasing good products with a lick of paint. Expect a lot more, i.e. THPS 3+4, more COD remasters, maybe Warcraft 1 + 2.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Kind of. Work was already well underway on D2, Vicarious Visions seemed to have been rolled in to make sure it actually completed to a good standard.

I believe you've got it backwards. Work was underway on D2 by Vicarious Visions, and then they were rolled into Blizzard on the strength of this project, apparently to make them the in-house group at Blizzard for maintenance of D2 and future development of these types of projects.

Last edited:

CamHostage

GAF has got three THPS 1+2 threads going at a time right now, but just for completion's sake on this, NO LONGER A RUMOR, it's coming to Switch later this year.

Fbh

If we are in the porting mood can we also get CTR on PC please?

But on topic this would be nice even though it's probably going to be 30fps.

Top Bottom